Helpful ReplyHot!Coronavirus opinions

Page: << < ..61626364 > Showing page 63 of 64
Author
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2676
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/14 09:20:55 (permalink)
As far as this virus goes, it's ok until it's not.  My kids have been back in school for three weeks now.  Kids in classes are starting to get sick with all of the usual stuff.    We had a family gathering on Saturday.  My daughter came down with a fever about half way through.  It's been hovering around 101 since Saturday when the Tylenol wears off.  My wife is taking her to get tested today. 

My point is that it's easy to get complacent about the virus.  I'm guilty of it myself.  I'm concerned for my daughter but if she has it I'm confident she will be fine.  My wheels are now turning about who she could have exposed.  My father with an aortic aneurysm?  My father in law with chronic asthma?  My wife and I both ("frontline workers")?  I'll be interested to see how long the results take to get back.  
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3398
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/14 09:33:13 (permalink)
https://www.yahoo.com/news/supercomputer-found-promising-theory-why-115500793.html

Hopefully they are starting to narrow down how Covid really is attacking the body and even better treatments are offered.  This article seems to offer some cautious optimism.  

bradykinin storm.......

I do think everything is fitting almost too neatly into a nice package.  Hopefully the studies can be expanded and the data still tracks....

Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1165
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/14 09:56:28 (permalink)
LD,  I will keep you and yours in my prayers!
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/14 10:03:52 (permalink)
Thanks Jigs
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11796
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/14 10:39:49 (permalink)
MyWar
Sure bud, if I can’t see it with my own eyes, it ain’t happening. Brilliant.

You can't see it with your own eyes because you are severly blinded by hate and discontent. Much of which is aimed at the POTUS & law enforcement, clearly evidenced by your post.

Such a horrible way for an individual to live their life.

Disclaimer: Use of the word ”individual” rather saying ”human being”.... is not a typo.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/09/14 10:41:20

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7579
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/14 11:09:52 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
https://www.yahoo.com/news/supercomputer-found-promising-theory-why-115500793.html

Hopefully they are starting to narrow down how Covid really is attacking the body and even better treatments are offered.  This article seems to offer some cautious optimism.  

bradykinin storm.......

I do think everything is fitting almost too neatly into a nice package.  Hopefully the studies can be expanded and the data still tracks....

You seemed to miss the discussion a few pages back on this... This seems like it could be one of the biggest breakthroughs in the virus, if it ends up being proven correct. Sounds like a lot of proven meds that can treat the bradykinin storm.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/14 11:26:13 (permalink)
Genie
Just curious of examples of hysteria? As you noted looking around you in everyday life, I don’t seem to notice hysteria among the people? No doubt as stated many times, there are some industries hit hard by this and personally I only seem to hear those affected being a bit hysterical or retired guys on fishing boards that seem to complain about everything that doesn’t follow what their idol says. I completely understand the hysteria for those losing their livelihoods. But I feel most of the restrictions, especially in populated areas are exactly what 95% of public health data points to. For those most affected, there should be a safety net, and not just the airlines and large hotel chains... For the most part, I see inconveniences and people getting fed up with the inconveniences. The media for the past 30+ years have sensationalized every topic, if that is the hysteria you are noting? If so, I’m sure your favorite choice of media doesn’t sensationalize any other topic?
MyWar
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 652
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/14 12:29:58 (permalink)
The only things that I’ve seen that approach real panic or hysteria are: (1) panic buying of toilet paper during the lockdown back in March, and (2) people that make their living in the service industry who are unemployed and cant pay their bills, but are also terrified of going back to work because they would be at high risk of getting sick due to interaction with general public compounded by that fact that a serious illness would be financial devastating for them because they don’t have access to affordable healthcare.
MyWar
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 652
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/14 12:52:53 (permalink)
Actually you could probably add teachers to that list, although I’m not sure I’d call it “panic” but there is plenty of concern about whether classroom environments are safe, whether kids are getting quality education remotely, whether parents can continue working if their kids are schooling from home etc... but these are all valid reasons for concern.

And if you think the solution is to wait until you can actually see the virus making kids sick in your school, that is an extraordinarily short sighted and risky approach. Do you want to be a school administrator that had an outbreak happen on their watch while they did nothing? Imagine the lawsuits when kids start ending up in the hospital, or start dying.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2340
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/14 17:15:51 (permalink)
LDD
As far as this virus goes, it's ok until it's not.  My kids have been back in school for three weeks now.  Kids in classes are starting to get sick with all of the usual stuff.    We had a family gathering on Saturday.  My daughter came down with a fever about half way through.  It's been hovering around 101 since Saturday when the Tylenol wears off.  My wife is taking her to get tested today. 

My point is that it's easy to get complacent about the virus.  I'm guilty of it myself.  I'm concerned for my daughter but if she has it I'm confident she will be fine.  My wheels are now turning about who she could have exposed.  My father with an aortic aneurysm?  My father in law with chronic asthma?  My wife and I both ("frontline workers")?  I'll be interested to see how long the results take to get back.  

Well that sucks. Good luck.

Our freshman came home today and said we might have another case in our school. This'll be the 2nd , if confirmed, in as many weeks.
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/14 18:21:24 (permalink)
Yup, she just made the starting rotation on the v-ball team as a sophomore so she's extra bummed.  We'll see, they said 3-5 days for results. 
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3398
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/15 08:21:01 (permalink)
Porktown
eyesandgillz

bradykinin storm.......

You seemed to miss the discussion a few pages back on this... This seems like it could be one of the biggest breakthroughs in the virus, if it ends up being proven correct. Sounds like a lot of proven meds that can treat the bradykinin storm.

Yep, missed it.  Haven't been on much.  Been busy with work and running the kids around every day for sports....
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/15 08:43:09 (permalink)
Here is some more potentially good news.

https://www.upmc.com/medi...ors-dimitrov-covid-ab8
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/15 08:54:10 (permalink)
Hysteria was closing all the mom and pop stores on Main Street and still allowing big box stores selling the same stuff to be open-almost  casually calling the big ones necessary.
Made no sense to me whatsoever as the parking lots in the Big Box stores were packed throughout this whole mess and in the smaller stores ya my have been one of only a very few customers at most times.
Grocery stores were certainly necessary and also packed throughout.
Eateries being limited to take out only and later with greatly minimized availability was somewhat understandable but combined with the mom and pop closure will certainly -after many months- lead to bankruptcies and fiscal impossibilities in far too many cases.
Drive through any main street kind of business area and the number of closed stores is obvious- they just couldnt keep paying utilities- taxes and insurances with zero income any longer.
Went to a large grocery store recently and was surprised at some  bare shelves and limited options we are used to - seems the pandemic has limited some suppliers from getting their products out.

It isnt gonna be the same--

That stuff said I have faith in some of the medical breakthroughs in the recent news cycles and look ahead to a vaccine and some normalcy returning sometime in the months ahead ( year or two perhaps) 
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/09/15 08:57:30
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/15 10:16:21 (permalink)
LDD

Hope your girl is feeling better.

We just got a message that a boy on my son's soccer team has symptoms.  Currently getting covid and mono tests.  Their practices this week are cancelled to wait on tests.

I had to get my daughter from school yesterday to go to the orthodontist.  It was nice to see them using every resource.  There was a class going on in their lobby with kids separated and teacher instructing to them and live streamed to others online.  Visitors are restricted to the entry airlock where their SRO is stationed.  My wife's classes are 100% online, but goes into her building to teach in front of a camera.  Although they are being told to take turns teaching from home to hopefully give enough internet strength for half of them.  Hopefully it is their service plan and not the lines/hardware they have feeding the building or not so easy of a fix.  With their funding, I am guessing they are a step up from dial up...
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/15 10:31:35 (permalink)
Thanks Pork, they said 3-5 days for results.  Hopefully it's 3 or less. 
snagr
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/15 10:43:30 (permalink)
there's been some type of virus going around kids in our community for about a month now.  hit our family two weeks ago, and many of my kids' friends have had it, as well as parents.  sinus stuff, low fever for a day or two for some, and then a cough, etc.  

turned into a sinus infection for my high school aged son which is pretty common for him with colds.  his doc - who is part of a big upmc community practice - said he was not surprised that this was going around in late summer, given that we put the brakes on normal immune system building for months and that he and others in his practice are not sending kids for testing with these symptoms.  he said that research is showing that rhinoviruses, which are the source of most colds, are twice as prevalent right now than they normally are.  

he said like any other cold, if your kid has a fever keep them home/away from others.  when it's gone for 24 hours without ibuprofin or tylenol, let 'em back to whatever they were doing.  pretty much just like most parents always do.  not a big deal to him and the others in the practice.  

my wife had a visit with her pcp because of a few lingering symptoms from this cold and the nature of her work.  her doc - also upmc - said basically the same thing.  stay away from people if you have a fever or cough.  when it's gone for 24 hours, go back to normal.  no testing.  

post edited by snagr - 2020/09/15 10:45:46
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/15 21:10:10 (permalink)
We had junior high basketball and JV volleyball tonight on the school's YouTube channel. As we sat here watching the livestream something dawned on me. Maybe a silver linning in all this. No parents at games isn't such a bad thing. No one yelling at the coaches or referees. No one trying to coach their child from the stands. Maybe less pressure on a kid. They can just play without having Dad's critique every play, every time up and down the court. Also, no back n forth between opposing fans. Its kinda neat sitting in the chair and watching your kid on the T.V.

Anyone else's district doing similar things?
snagr
Avid Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/15 21:20:51 (permalink)
same in our district for now pensfan

this will be my 5th season coaching 7th grade hoops at our middle school (if there’s still a boys season this winter) and i know most of the parents pretty well. gotta admit it wouldn’t be terrible if they weren’t there. one dad in particular - i coached his older son two years ago and every game he was at he was totally in his kid’s ear and subsequently his head. one of his other sons will probably be my starting point guard this year.

most parents are great. there’s one or two every year that should just not watch their kids play in person.
post edited by snagr - 2020/09/15 21:22:41
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2428
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/16 06:54:23 (permalink)
Porktown
Genie
Just curious of examples of hysteria?

shuttering the whole country instead of targeted areas
setting the precedent that biz, employers, schools etc are responsible to protect you from virus  in places you choose to go
$600 a week Fed gov cheese  to go with state unemployment (in Ohio, you'd have me making over $65k a year to equal what the  $12 an hour line cook at O'Charlies was getting every week) 
$3 trillion and counting to the debt (it'll be $6T by this time next year)

hysterical (in a funny way if not so sad)
The arguably arbitrary way of what's "essential" to stay open
I could buy liquor, but couldn't get a hair cut for months 

that's a few things off the top my head, Pork

..L.T.A.

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/16 07:01:34 (permalink)
I did the book from 3rd to 6th grade for girls BBall. Being down by the bench, I would hear the most appalling things come out of parents mouths. Directed at coaches, refs, and the players. Some just couldn't get the fact that it was elementary level and none of the girls on the court were named Swoopes or Taurasi. Like you said , Snagr, there is always those few parents that ruin the experience. Especially in a team sport. We have done BJJ for years. 2 competitors get on the mat, someone wins someone loses and its all on them. I can remember maybe 3 or 4 instances in 12 years where someone got outta hand. Guess different sports breed different people.
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2428
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/16 07:12:59 (permalink)
speaking of fed gov cheese..
in June, I was at Lowes talking to the kid that helps load materials .

He said he was just glad to have a job right now .
I didn't have the heart to tell him the busboy and dishwasher at Applebee's were averaging  close to $1000 a  week  to stay home while he and the $10 an hour burger flipper at Micky-Dees were hard at it

..L.T.A.

snagr
Avid Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/16 08:17:32 (permalink)
genieman77
speaking of fed gov cheese..

as long as the feds give the cheese to hospitals and health systems to find as much rona as they can, and further incentivize attributing deaths to rona, this casedemic will continue indefinitely long after the epidemic is over.
post edited by snagr - 2020/09/16 11:25:11
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/16 08:55:42 (permalink)
...... hysteria at it's finest. 👍

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/16 09:27:15 (permalink)
snagr I hope all is feeling better in your family. 🙏

snagr
Avid Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/16 09:48:30 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
snagr I hope all is feeling better in your family. 🙏

all back to 100% in short order, thanks.

i’m hearing from other parents that several kids a day in our school district are being sent home because they cough a few times or have a runny or stuffy nose. not sure how accurate that is though as the district doesn’t make that public.

kids have been back for two full weeks now. elementary 5 days a week in person. secondary in two groups two days a week in person for each group, returning to everybody 5 days a week in person next week. all students still have the option of full online only. so far no “positive” cases that i have heard of in our district.

my 5th grader is happy that they’re finally allowed to shoot hoops at recess this week, instead of walking in the parking lot or standing there doing nothing in socially distanced circles. but they each have to have their own ball. no sharing.

he brought home the most dystopian art project i’ve ever seen in my life - they had to do a self portrait wearing a mask.
snagr
Avid Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/16 09:53:51 (permalink)
pensfan1
I did the book from 3rd to 6th grade for girls BBall. Being down by the bench, I would hear the most appalling things come out of parents mouths. Directed at coaches, refs, and the players. Some just couldn't get the fact that it was elementary level and none of the girls on the court were named Swoopes or Taurasi. Like you said , Snagr, there is always those few parents that ruin the experience. Especially in a team sport. We have done BJJ for years. 2 competitors get on the mat, someone wins someone loses and its all on them. I can remember maybe 3 or 4 instances in 12 years where someone got outta hand. Guess different sports breed different people.

hoops parents are the worst. they can get close enough to their kids that they don’t have to scream and yell, and even if they do scream and yell gyms are so noisy during a basketball game that it doesn’t seem that out of place.

not too many parents coaching from the stands at baseball games because they’re so quiet. but i have heard some absolutely atrocious things in conversations on the walk to the car between dads and sons.

i never rassled and neither of my boys has that psychotic edge needed for rasslin but i do love watching some high school matches now and then. the ultimate individual sport where daddy has nothing to do with the performance.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/16 13:09:39 (permalink)
We were never so happy when our 16 yr old (6 at the time) came home and said she wanted to enroll at a Jiu Jitsu school. Having girls, I dreaded thinking about dance, cheerleading or softball. She took to it immediately. Our middle girl swims, ( LETS TALK CRAZY PARENTS) so she wasn't interested. When the little one came up, she couldn't wait and actually started at age 5. After that we became a full time grappling family and have a blast with it. When you go to touneys, its a whole different world. So respectful and friendly. As I said, not too many parents or adults get out of hand. Probably because 90% of the people in the building are practitioners. Some of the most soft spoken and kind parents we have met, are total assassins on the mat. Heck, we met Royce Gracie a few years back. You would never know by looking at him, who he even was.

Of course with Covid-19, none of us have been to the gym since December. Sure we will go to basement and mess around, but hopefully we get back sooner than later.
post edited by pensfan1 - 2020/09/16 14:12:45
snagr
Avid Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/16 14:39:40 (permalink)
ohhhh bjj = brazilian jiu jitsu.

thought you were talking about some rasslin club or something. i was a little slow on the uptake there.

that’s bad azz man. good for you and your kids doing that together.

sitting through a three hour dance recital to watch your daughter do three or four numbers that last a grand total of 7 minutes is the absolute worst. fortunately only had to do that for a few years before she gave it up.
post edited by snagr - 2020/09/16 16:26:09
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/09/16 18:16:42 (permalink)
Crazy parents ruin all sports.
Page: << < ..61626364 > Showing page 63 of 64
Jump to: