Helpful ReplyState of the Lake

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
  • Reward points: 0
Re: State of the Lake 2019/09/03 16:38:27 (permalink)
Have been led to believe that the extra fees aren't always meant to increase Game but are usually used to replace present funding- usually with a statement that said funding -therefore the sport itself-may have been in danger.
Then, of course, what happened to that original funding after the fee replaced or heavily supplanted it--Hmmmmmm
Had no choice here in Ct- a new Trout fee-plus all the old license fees. Didn't see any increase in the Trout though.
Yea- I get it- costs go up -however, ya may notice put and take stockings of fish and feather have historically gone down in relation to those upward costs.
This despite new fees being implemented to 'save' the sport.
Ever think about the fines for getting caught w/o any tags at all.
Havent been checked in 30 or 40 years.
Yea-I know- Murphys law   lol
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/09/03 16:40:37
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: State of the Lake 2019/09/03 18:12:41 (permalink)
Fichy, good post and points. I agree with you as that's what I was eluding to a few posts back.
Also agree the slippery slope of enacting of a fee.
As a few examples :
Years ago there was a thing called doe day.
Then there were party permits for harvesting female deer. These were at no extra costs to the hunter.
In modern times they now enact a doe permit at a cost of , yes a poultry $10.00 but its based on a lottery system. No guarantee but they still take your $10.00 no matter.
The rub is , where does this money go towards the control of game populations management ? Honestly, it goes to the general funding and is pretty much used to buy more access, not just for the hunter but for everyone either they hunt or hike.
Another example is now on the horizon of a mandatory boating course for anyone operating a motorized boat. In told its about $30.00.
Is a boating course a good thing ? Absolutely but where will this money go towards ? My guess is back in the coffers.

The good I see about a stamp, is it will deter people from buying one to fish for just a few times , the bad thing is they will roll the dice and fish anyway.

Ps:
One of the basic simple regulations I can't understand that ny has not enacted is to display your license visibly.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/09/03 18:22:34

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: State of the Lake 2019/09/04 13:29:32 (permalink)
HT, I don't agree with having to visibly display your tag/license for the simple reason they could easily come off, be misplaced or lost.  I lost (came out of the holder) my back tag some years ago during bow season, must have dislodged putting on and taking off my portable tree climber.  I have multiple vests dedicated to specific types of fishing, easy to overlook transferring from one vest to another.  My wallet is always on my person and in it my lifetime license.  Unless I lose my wallet I have no concerns where my license may be.  Some areas of the state don't require wearing your back tag, Catskill preserve is one such area.

post edited by troutbum21 - 2019/09/04 13:31:07
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/09/04 13:49:17 (permalink)
We are not required to wear a back tag where I hunt but I do.
I take a piece of electrical tape and cover the flap. When I'm hunting or fishing I always know where it is , just like a wallet.
Only reason I say it should be visible is because it at least gives some identification that you might actually have one.
Without visual, you actually have to be asked to show it and we know far to many ( dec press release) who don't.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/10/18 17:06:15 (permalink)
So there are proposed changes to Ontario and the tribs
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/115977.html

I am in favor of all except there should also be a cut on the lake for brown trout as well.
I know a certain " fly guy " aka "chrome" really pushed hard for an increase in size limit of rainbow trout to 25" years ago citing, that is spawning age. Thus giving the smaller fish a chance to at least return to spawn before harvest.Gosh, it really took them this long to figure that out ?
Apples to oranges but they sure got things backwards on the striped bass slot for our trib

Anyway, this is your 1 time opportunity to voice an opinion.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/10/18 17:10:11

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: State of the Lake 2019/10/18 18:01:33 (permalink)
HT,  you probably know the regs are going to change on the Hudson as they are trying to achieve an 18% reduction in mortality. Whole east coast is going to be changing, as the stocks are crashing again. The fall migration in new England was pitiful, as it was off of Montauk.  I liked the proposals for the Big O, agree with you  entirely. I'll send something in. 
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/10/18 20:00:46 (permalink)
As an ex Striper nut I agree with anything that will keep that great fishery GREAT.
IMHO there is little to compare with a 35 to 45  lb striper alongside the boat.
I generally don't participate in state of the lake issues as all I do is C&R but will agree with any size increase that might increase breeding stock without negative impact  on the lake itself.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/10/18 20:04:57 (permalink)
Yes fichy.
I think there will be drastic changes into the striped bass recreational fishery next season, well at least a regulations or " plan " enacted to achieve an 18 % mandatory harvest / mortality rate.

My very first thought is circle hooks will be mandatory to meet this plan on paper.
Sadly, I believe they will achieve absolutely nothing.
Second thoughts are they will abolish the over 40" and keep the lower keep. Again accomplish absolutely nothing.
Lastly, in a drastic approach, bait will not be allowed which will crash the economy.
It will accomplish a lot but will destroy the recreational fishing.

They totally are looking at things from a blind eye.
There are much better approaches such as enforcement. How many poachers are caught on both sides ? Recreational and commercial that ONLY get caught and documented. It's a huge amount that don't because lack of enforcement funding. I can say for fact, whats not on paper is our dec boat left the dock twice this season. It sat idle because the officers were not allowed to patrol.
Next is they are totally screwed up by allowing the harvest of future spawning fish and dis allowing the harvest of 2nd and 3rd year spawning class. I'm in total disbelief in this
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/10/18 20:13:10

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/10/18 20:09:28 (permalink)
r3g3
As an ex Striper nut I agree with anything that will keep that great fishery GREAT.
IMHO there is little to compare with a 35 to 45  lb striper alongside the boat.
I generally don't participate in state of the lake issues as all I do is C&R but will agree with any size increase that might increase breeding stock without negative impact  on the lake itself.

Rg, I'm in total disagreement in their marine
Statue towards the striped bass management.
What the changes proposed have no effect on commercial fishery, only the recreational part

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: State of the Lake 2019/10/19 08:12:34 (permalink)
If anything, they'll take off the lower slot. Removing bait fishing in the Hudson would be ludicrous. It's why I rarely fish it. Stripers on the fly there are like unicorns.  Maybe if I lived in Saugerties.  I did know an azzhat that used j plugs to snag at the Troy Dam. The Hudson is doing better than the overall fishery. If you want to see the oceanic version of the trestle in full swing, just go to the Cape Cod Canal when the net tells you to.  Five deep, casting over the top of each other, fist fights, morons without a clue dragging everything they hook up on to the rocks and home to their cats.  A million pounds of wasted fish, most of breeding size. The Hudson compared to that is about as barbaric and destructive as  a night at the Metropolitan Opera. Hopefully, common sense will prevail, but there's no question action will be taken.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/10/19 08:35:31 (permalink)
Dep reports here in Ct -especially in Spring -generally show a number of arrests for undersized Stripers-especially by shore fisherfolks.
Considering how small a number of officers there are the regular violations might seem to  influence  future numbers.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/10/19 08:56:31 (permalink)
Rg, twice a month the nydec posts their arrests. A huge amount of fish are being poached down by the city monthly.
That's just the ppl being caught.
Now like I said up here our dec has a patrol boat at my marina right next to my boat . I talk to them regularly and we even filet fish for them. They patrol approx 50 miles of the river from the impassable federal dam to almost Kingston . They went on 2 patrols this season citing funding cuts.
Now as L-13 said, I also know for fact captains and mates add to their clients limit.
There are a lot of shady things that go on out there. With a 1 fish limit, I see fish caught, boat leaves then boat returns to catch more.
Honestly I really think a tag system is the single best way to reduce harvest in a controlled way and enforce regulations.
Example again :
You get 5 tags per season. You keep 5 fish whenever you want. Once all tags are filled you are no longer allowed to fish for rest of season.
It does not effect a C&R Fisher in anyway and also protects the fact of you releasing a mortality wounded fish by the standards of the current regulations

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: State of the Lake 2019/10/19 09:06:50 (permalink)
hot tuna
So there are proposed changes to Ontario and the tribs
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/115977.html

I am in favor of all except there should also be a cut on the lake for brown trout as well.
I know a certain " fly guy " aka "chrome" really pushed hard for an increase in size limit of rainbow trout to 25" years ago citing, that is spawning age. Thus giving the smaller fish a chance to at least return to spawn before harvest.Gosh, it really took them this long to figure that out ?
Apples to oranges but they sure got things backwards on the striped bass slot for our trib

Anyway, this is your 1 time opportunity to voice an opinion.

AS a matter of accuracy, these changes were proposed prior to last year's SOL meetings, there was a solicitation for public comments, and according to Rose, this year's Regs guide "cover girl", they got about 30 comments (and hers and mine were two of them).  No changes were made to the proposals in reaction to the first round of comments, so here they are again.  The Charter Industry will never go for less than  three browns on the Lake as they are bread and butter in the spring.  It is looking like there are lots more in the River this fall because the salmon were around in the eastern basin in  the spring and they switched over to salmon before exhausting the brown population, but the Charter guys are fighting tooth and nail over the rainbow reduction, so good luck with the browns.  Loren's language and justification for the steelhead cut (and he was not the only one involved in that discussion or its development) has been continued since his absence by "King Davy" Agness among others, but the Charter Industry has a LOT of clout.  And DEC has only been really interested in Natural Reproduction since the tagging study showed that about 50% of the Kings in SR are naturals, and they are in business to raise fish for HARVEST, so C+R is kind of a novelty for them.  I would also point out that former fisheries directors have not had as liberal a viewpoint of users as Steve Hurst, current Director, and he has listened to more from Tributary anglers than  past directors.  So it is isn't a question of "figuring it out,"  as it is an administrative issue pretty much out of the bailiwick of a biologist, but rather of balancing the interest of professional harvesters, recreational harvesters, trib fishers, and a whole raft of "armchair quarterbacks" who like to second guess them every time they make any decision, regardless of the science.   But get those comments in, it would likely be gratifying for them  to get more response than  they did on the first round, or then they got for the Salmon Corridor Management Plan.  And the Captains will be doing their share of " behind the scenes" politico-ing.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/10/19 09:47:07 (permalink)
When I used to fish Nova Scotia we got 10 Atlantic tags which MUST be attached to each fish immediately upon catching.
A system like that may well care for the Captain/mate issue.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/10/19 13:39:54 (permalink)
L-13, No disagreement from an armchair quarterback who is very good friends with some charter folks. Remember, for us and me we share information because we each have our specialties towards various fishing.
I can put them on places and they can me as well so I truly believe the folks that spend hundreds of days on the water over a scientific database collected over a short time period doing a study.
The fin clip and chip data was only over a short period. The seine collection of naturals has been going on for awhile now but there is absolutely no way to predict mortality for returns without some type of identification, which clearly stopped.
Honestly, it's no matter to me any longer as I'm not a stakeholder now. I just feel for the pain the trib anglers will endure in the next 5 years.
The lake guys will be fine

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/10/20 08:04:30 (permalink)
"seine collection of naturals"???????  The seining is done to measure alewives, it is over 20 years of data and it is currently over 200 trawls over a multi week period.  And it is random, as opposed to running  the boat until a pod is located which is what I'm pretty sure captains do.  But I am sure the guy who walked on the moon knew a lot more than  the NASA scientists, because he walked around on it.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/10/20 08:47:12 (permalink)
So your saying they don't sein net salmon par in the river to identify natural reproduction?
I guess then they just estimate using esp
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/10/20 09:27:22

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/12/07 21:52:49 (permalink)
Wish I had 5 million to raise more fish for stocking that will be cut.

Our concrete and steel cement plant was built in 1962 . Some things last a long time, like a hardly used forklift.

Geesh

https://www.newyorkupstat...n-in-improvements.html
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/12/07 21:56:58

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/12/08 19:53:03 (permalink)
It's no worries to respond. I deal with these " capital projects " all the time.
X amount of money is requested based on a study. Xx amount gets eaten up for the study and the x amount ends up as putting lipstick on a pig. Take lots of pictures and get credit for a great job.

Wasn't 3 mil purchased a clipping trailer that is useless now. Keep telling yourself there is a great natural reproduction return without any " database " .
A mill for cameras tracking the holy grail Atlantic via raceway and beaver creek and now no wifi service to support this

Am I pizzed, yup !!!
Stop taking my tax money and calling it honey
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/12/08 20:13:54

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/12/09 07:27:28 (permalink)
Where have you heard anything about the fin clip trailer?  If you were paying attention, you would be aware that DEC will start another finclip study of the kings this season if they can get the Canadians on board.

Some people are never happy unless they are P+Ming.

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/12/09 07:54:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bigbear2012 2019/12/09 07:58:57
From the SPortfishing Restoration Plan description of the trailer:

"...mark very large number of Lake Ontario stocked fish in an efficient and effective
manner. Various attempts to hand mark stocked fish have been made in the past with
little success due to the high stocking numbers, disease problems, and physical handling
stressors on the fish. The “Autofish”marking trailer developed by Northwest Marine
Technology has the ability to clip and tag 60,000 fish per day with little or no effect on
the health of the fish. This technology is currently used extensively in the Pacific
Northwest and will allow the Department to annually mark 1.6 million Chinooks,
500,000 steelhead, and 500,000 lake trout that are stocked into the lake. While the initial
goal of the marking program involves determining the contribution of wild Chinook
salmon in the Lake Ontario population, further studies are planned involving other fish
species such as lake trout and steelhead. The need for this equipment for the Lake
Ontario system is likely to exceed its expected life span of 20 plus years.
The Autofish trailer costs approximately $1.3 million dollars and comes with a four year
on-site warranty. This project will also purchase enough tags for three years and provide
funds to make some minor modifications to Salmon River Hatchery to accommodate the
trailer ($200,000).
Estimated Cost - $1,500,000"

This money came from Occidental (formerly Hooker Chemical) for damages to the fishery caused by Discharges and poor landfilling in Niagara Falls.  The trailer has been used for a 3 year study of Kings, the recent coho study, and was used as well by the Canadians, and there is another Kings study planned to start soon.

As to building maintenance and improvement, I've found that it is always preferable to let the building fall down and clean it up before building a new one, definitely much cheaper than doing maintenance and improvements as they are needed!  Oh, and what is the effect on the ongoing operations when done that way, maybe they could lose an entire year class in the hatchery.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/12/09 17:16:00 (permalink)
Yea I was off by 1.5 on the trailer. I do remember the 1.5 and getting old kills the memory of numbers without looking back on " data ". Some may say that was free money but i have not found many things that don't come without costs. I'm questioning the purpose of this said much needed trailer. Why isn't it being utilized if its such a valuable resource that actually determines the stocked vs wild returns for basing " data " ? So far , it was a 1 and done..
Questioning authority does get old but just tossing pennies into a fountain seems to make one wonder where all those pennies go.
Routine maintenance is a yearly budgetary thing. I don't drive my vehicles forever without planning on changing the oil or tires until failure or push my lawnmower around the yard without gas .
Just like the hatchery roofing project, these are typically Capitol projects.
Capitol projects usually involve a ton of money that just has to get spent and the bulk is wasted on useless things just to eat the money. There are also tax law restrictions based on these things. Our employees are not allowed to perform these jobs and must be contracted out.

What I'm speaking, is landscaping, round tanks instead of the long rectangular tanks that's been used forever, a platform so people don't have to stand on the curb to look over the fence at the ladder, a forklift that will probably run forever if routine maintenance is done, can only imagine what plan for the ladder would be. Maybe a pretty epoxy paint application to preserve the concrete or some new gates that when exposed to constant water flow will eventually rot. Seems like more routine maintenance.

I could have sworn the wells and pumps were upgraded a few years ago as a Capitol project but again, my memory sucks.

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: State of the Lake 2019/12/09 23:33:34 (permalink)
I can understand we here HT is coming from. My local school district has been caught 3 times over taxing the residents and having MILLIONS too much in reserve funds. What do they do?? Not refund a bit of money , but repave several parking lots that were paved a few years ago, upgrade most windows to bullet resistant, a new roof that was replaced 5 years ago. All projects that were not needed, but "since we got the money" .
They increased the taxes 1% last year , roughly 64000$ , we are then notified the tax increase was rescinded..... HOORAH.........Well attended the board meeting and come to find out they yet again over budgeted by 10 x that. . My point is not whether or not these upgrades are needed, but that if the money is there they will spend it whether they need to or not and it will NEVER work it's way back th o the taxpayer. So I guess I would rather have it wasted in the hatchery than in NYC or some other place

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/12/11 09:02:36 (permalink)
It is apparent that along with memory, reading comprehension also fails with advancing age and curmudgeonry.
As I stated above," The trailer has been used for a 3 year study of Kings, the recent coho study, and was used as well by the Canadians, and there is another Kings study planned to start soon." That's three done, one in the works.  Steve Hurst, DEC Director of Fisheries, has stated that the current holdup is getting agreement from the Canadians.  The Lake is not the exclusive playground of New Yawkers, it is an International water body.  The Restoration Plan was adopted after a Public Comment period, and the trailer was overwhelmingly identified by respondents as high priority for the expenditures. As to actually using it, it can mark 60,000 fry per day, so that is ballpark 1.2 million Kings in 20 days, so there is a labor component.  There is also the need for 200+K for tags.  I would still like to see a study on Steelhead, but that will have to wait for the kings to be completed.

If you had visited the hatchery in the last couple of years, you would know that the ladder has started to collapse inwards and has been braced with a "band aid" frame constructed of lumber.  Gee, if it totally collapsed during the salmon run, maybe we'd get a year without kings!  I know the Romans built a lot of things that lasted for centuries, but they quarried stone for a building material, even the best concrete has a limited lifespan.  And things exposed to water flow are subject to a ton of stresses not found in terrestrial construction. 

But even aging hindsight is generally 20-20, second guessing after the fact.

The wells and pumps have been upgraded, but water supply has been a constant problem, even though it was the best water source available for a hatchery when that one was sited.  Lots fo this got reported at the SOL meetings last spring, but I know that is too far to drive.
post edited by Lucky13 - 2019/12/11 09:05:47
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/12/11 12:59:13 (permalink)
I'm well aware the trailer was used in a 3 year study of clipping, so to me that's a 1 and done.

When was that completed and how long now has it sat idle ?

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/12/12 10:13:40 (permalink)
It was used in a 3 year clip over 4years with the kings. 
It is being used, or was, the report should be out soon, for a 3 year study of cohos, you may have heard from down in NYC North about the coho head collection effort, related to the coho clipping,  it was certainly promoted on the DEC website, and at the last few SOL meetings.  https://forums.fishusa.com/Message/603496-Reminder/

And it was loaned to Ontario for a study up there.  That is three.  And there is another King study coming.

I guess the cost of an ice auger is only justifiable if you employ it 24/7 365 days per year?  My boats sit idle for about 11 months a year now, but I get my money's worth in the other month.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/12/12 17:51:32 (permalink)
No worries , I found the answers I was asking. Not the justification.
10 years is a long time to remember things like what money was spent back then.
In the industry world it had to be a 5 year return on capital investment.
If my boat sat that idle, which some I've had before have, then its time to find another toy to play with.
In its 10 years, its been used 1/2 of it age. With an expected span of 20 year lifespan,
Lots of catching up to do or it will be written of

In 2008, the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation and the Ontario

Ministry of Natural Resources began clipping the adipose fin of all Chinook

salmon (A.K.A. "King") stocked into Lake Ontario as a way of telling

"hatchery" fish apart from wild fish. Each year, 2.3 million Chinook salmon

are stocked into Lake Ontario and an unknown number of wild fish are

produced in tributaries from "natural" spawning. The purpose of the marking

study is to determine the relative contribution of wild and hatchery Chinook

salmon to the lake fishery. Some marked salmon also have a microscopic wire

tag placed in their snout that contains a unique number linking individual

fish to a particular year, stocking method, and location. This tag can only

be detected with a special handheld wand that senses the tag magnetically.

New York and Ontario fishery biologists will be sampling fish at fishing

ports, cleaning stations, fishing derbies and in tributaries to collect the

tags and other necessary data to determine the relative success of the

various stocking strategies. The marking and tagging of millions of fish

each year was made possible when the NYSDEC purchased a cutting-edge, mass

marking technology called the Autofish system. Developed by Northwest Marine

Technology Inc, the tractor-trailer sized system rapidly and accurately

marks and tags 7,000 fish per hour automatically. Both agencies plan to

continue this study on Chinook salmon for at least the next five years and

there are plans for marking other salmon and trout species with the Autofish

system in the future. Currently only smaller batches of lake trout, rainbow

trout, and brown trout in Lake Ontario are hand-marked with fin clips. For

more information about fin clips on salmon and trout in Lake Ontario, please

contact the NYSDEC Lake Ontario Unit at 315-654-2147.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/12/12 18:23:46

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/12/21 09:13:18 (permalink)
DEC Delivers Press Release - Information to keep you connected and informed from the NYS Department of Environmental ConservationShare or view as a web page || Update preferences or unsubscribe

DEC Announces 2020 Lake Ontario Chinook Salmon and Lake Trout Stocking

State Adjusts 2020 Stocking Plans to Maintain Lake Ontario's World-Class Fishery

Sport Fishery Continues to Produce Record Catch Rates and Thriving Populations

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos today announced the state's plans for fish stocking in Lake Ontario to ensure the lake remains one of the top fishing destinations in the country. Lake Ontario offers opportunities to catch trophy-sized fish from a wide variety of species, including Chinook and Coho salmon, steelhead, brown trout, lake trout, Atlantic salmon, bass, walleye, and panfish. To ensure these species continue to thrive and to address a further projected population decline of alewife, a crucial prey fish, DEC's 2020 stocking of Chinook salmon and lake trout into Lake Ontario will be reduced by 20 percent. More than 3.6 million salmon and trout will be stocked in 2020, and DEC remains committed to supporting Lake Ontario's world-class sport fishery as part of its adaptive management approach to ensure its continued success.
"This past year, salmon and trout fishing in Lake Ontario was outstanding, and DEC remains committed to ensuring that the ecological, recreational, and economic benefits of this sport fishery are sustained through science-based management," Commissioner Seggos said. "New York's Lake Ontario fishery represents the best of the best, and we intend to maintain our world-class status. The adjustments announced today represent our commitment to an adaptive management approach for the long-term sustainability of the fishery. I am optimistic that fishing will be exceptional in 2020, and encourage anglers to take advantage of this extraordinary resource."
Effectively managing for the long-term sustainability of the trophy Chinook salmon fishery requires balancing predator numbers with available alewife as prey.
Scientists from the U.S. Geological Survey, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, and DEC forecasted declines in the adult alewife population following the relatively severe winters of 2013-14 and 2014-15, that contributed to poor alewife reproductive success. Managers documented strong alewife reproduction in 2016; however, these fish now appear to be under intense predation pressure and scientists have forecasted a further decline in the adult alewife population in 2020, due to the diminishing 2016 alewife year class and relatively poor alewife production in both 2017 and 2018.
DEC reduced the number of Chinook salmon and lake trout stocked in Lake Ontario by 20 percent in 2017. Chinook salmon stocking was reduced by an additional 20 percent in 2019. Based on the newest population assessments, DEC will reduce 2020 Chinook salmon and lake trout stocking by an additional 20 percent from 2019 levels.
The stocking adjustments highlight DEC's commitment to science-based management to maintain a high-quality Lake Ontario sport fishery. With these stocking reductions, 2020 lake-wide salmon and trout stocking in Lake Ontario will exceed 3.6 million fish, including approximately 1.1 million Chinook salmon, 755,000 rainbow trout/steelhead, 556,000 brown trout, 601,000 lake trout, 325,000 coho salmon, and 200,000 yearling Atlantic salmon. Additionally, many Lake Ontario tributaries also produce "wild" Chinook salmon each year. These wild salmon make a significant contribution to the fishery, comprising on average 50 percent of the adult salmon population. DEC is optimistic that these management decisions will maintain high-quality fishing opportunities, and Lake Ontario will remain a premier sport fishing destination.
Additional information about the status of Lake Ontario alewife and 2020 DEC stocking plans can be found at DEC's website.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/press.html
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/12/21 11:21:37 (permalink)
Pretty interesting. The total combined now is about what the chinook only stocking used to be back in the day if memory hasn't deteriorated to total mush.
I'm also reading somewhere that the chinook stocked in 2020 will be less then the 1.1 stated. A tad below 1 million.
It seems the other species like lakers, steelhead , browns and Atlantic are catching up with the chinook stocks.
I don't see this as a bad thing, except lake trout because their food base are different but I do see this as an attempt at a self sustaining type of movement to reduce the costs of stocking fish and move towards natural reproduction species. I'd personally like to see zero lake trout stocked.
The lake and tributaries fishing will change, imo, so folks should be aware of this instead of what has been considered a put and take fishery.

Thanks for sharing L-13

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/12/21 12:04:45 (permalink)
Glad the fishing was OUTSTANDING on the lake this year- good for them.
Stunk on the river.
Gonna stink even more.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: