Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
  • Reward points: 0
2019/02/21 08:25:13 (permalink)

State of the Lake

DEC Announces "State of Lake Ontario" Meetings

Biologists to Provide Updates on the Status of Lake's Fisheries

The public will have the opportunity to learn about the State of Lake Ontario fisheries at public meetings to be held in Niagara, Monroe, Oswego and Schenectady counties in March, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos announced today.
"Lake Ontario and its tributaries provide world-class angling opportunities that are generating substantial recreational and economic benefits to towns and cities along the lake," Commissioner Seggos said. "The State of Lake Ontario meetings provide an excellent opportunity for everyone interested in the lake to interact with the scientists who study and manage its fisheries."
New York's Lake Ontario waters comprise more than 2.7 million acres. The open lake, embayments, and tributaries support thriving populations of sportfish, including trout, salmon, bass, walleye, yellow perch, and panfish. A recent statewide angler survey estimated more than 2.6 million angler days were spent on Lake Ontario and major tributaries, resulting in an estimated economic value of $112 million annually to local communities.
The meeting dates and locations are:
Monday, March 4: 6:30 - 9 p.m. at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) campus (Chester F Carlson Center for Imaging Science), Rochester, Monroe County. The meeting is co-hosted by RIT and the Monroe County Fishery Advisory Board.
Thursday, March 7: 6:30 - 9 p.m. at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Building, 4487 Lake Ave., Lockport, Niagara County. The meeting is co-hosted by Niagara County Cooperative Extension and the Niagara County Sportfishery Development Board.
Thursday, March 14: 6:30 - 9 p.m. at SUNY Schenectady County Community College, Stockade Building, Room 101, 78 Washington Ave., Schenectady, Schenectady County.
Tuesday, March 19: 6:30 - 9 p.m. at the Pulaski High School auditorium, 4624 Salina St., Pulaski, Oswego County. The meeting is co-hosted by the Eastern Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout Association.
Staff from DEC and the United States Geological Survey will make a number of presentations, including updates on the status of trout and salmon fisheries in the lake and its tributaries, forage fish, and stocking programs. The meetings will provide ample time at the end of the scheduled program for the audience to ask questions and interact with the presenters. Information about DEC's https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7969.html]Lake Ontario fisheries assessment programs[/link] can be found on DEC's website.
For further information contact Christopher Legard, NYSDEC Lake Ontario Unit Leader at the Cape Vincent Fisheries Research Station, (315) 654-2147.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/press.html]http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/press.html[/link]

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: State of the Lake 2019/02/21 11:42:05 (permalink)
What do you think the discussion will be ?
The best salmon fishing on the lake in years so I'm told. Now that stocking reductions occurred, will it remain or decline ?
Steelhead seem to be some of the best large class fish in years and no shortage. How will the proposed regulations change improve that if passed ?
Do you think it will be the same story of a baitfish class decline ?
Just curious because it seems to be a broken record from reading the studies but the fishing seemed to be improving before the implications.
Obviously, they nailed the thiamine problem.
Would larger trout if they survive a release and return start a new set of problems ?

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/02/21 14:24:18 (permalink)
They stick pretty close to the annual reports to the Great Lakes Fishery Commission at these meetings, which is why it may seem like a " broken record". (Play 15 different recordings of Jorma playing "Hesitation Blues," as a knowledgeable aficionado, you'll hear all the differences, but some listeners may get bored around 4 or 5 ;)).  They generally do a quick review of stocking totals and egg take,  the Boat Survey, condition of fish returning to the SR hatchery, a review of the pen projects, the SR Fry study, and maybe a review of the SR Angler survey.  Brian Weidel of USGS Oswego has been doing the baitfish trawling summaries the last few years.  Last year, Andy Todd of Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry attended and spoke about the other side of the lake, where they did NOT enjoy great fishing in 2018.  I would expect some discussion of the Stocking cut, and of the proposed regs changes, and they always try to leave a good portion of time for Q+A.  If you watch the LO reports page on the DEC Website, the summary should show up soon ( 2017 is up and the full report, but 2018 is not up yet but the summary is usually up before the meeting.)   A solid presentation, likely not worth driving from Woodstock to Pulaski for the evening, but please note that they are doing a session in Schenectady this year as well, that's closer to your neck of the woods and waters.

Sorry the water changed and you missed your SR trip, 2B and I might have done a day trip if you were there, but I'm not crazy about 1500 either.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/02/21 14:56:52 (permalink)
I always appreciate the insight on information you offer. Always check the dec site weekly as I get a kick out of the lawbreakers getting caught. Read the LO report as well but sometimes yes , I still get puzzled on some contradicting choices. Pretty sure a Flyguy, named chrome, pushed hard for a 25" size years ago and was scoffed. Now it seems there is a good rebound on steelhead ( compared to then ) and " now" there is a proposal, strange.
From the charters and mates I personally know, it was a banner salmon season like no other in decades, again strange with a state fear of collapse.
I believe that so many were boxed that it just seemed average on the river.
Flip side, the river guys are having a banner steelhead season, albeit the fall was not what was expected.
Personally, I've lost interest into that fishery, for now. First time in 33 years I didn't try for salmon and possibly 38th year for steelhead.
Things may change once I retire but that's still a few year out with much more on my to do list yet.

It's probably a blessing in disguise we didn't make the trip because day one of my vacation I became ill and been moping around the house trying to shake this virus instead of fishing. Gonna try and hit my local ice tomorrow but hopefully Jack's warmup dance today didn't kill the shoreline. I'll bring a plank incase.

Hope someday again we share water and spin a yarn

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: State of the Lake 2019/02/21 19:46:32 (permalink)
Too bad its on a Tuesday, that's my pith league

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/02/22 11:06:11 (permalink)
You will likely see a summary of the meeting in NY Outdoor News, Bill Hilts Jr from the Buffalo area generally attends Lockport and writes it up.  There may not be a lot of discussion of the stocking cut, as separate meetings were held on that last fall.  But the results of the baitfish surveys will say a lot about the need for that.

Chrome, Connie Rogers and Mike Miller, "King Davy" and others including myself pushed for a lakewide 25" limit at the same time that we pushed for a lakewide one fish limit.  The "compromise" that was adopted was the 21" limit and one fish in the tribs.  This proposal cuts the lake limit to 2 fish and adopts the 25" minimum IN THE TRIBUTARIES, and keeps the one fish limit in the tribs.  This proposal came from a panel of NYS LO anglers (I'm not on this one) that includes some tributary anglers and a number of Charter Operators.  While harvest of steelhead on the lake is in principal lower when there are strong year classes of kings,  there is a sense that harvest goes way up especially in the west end, where the deep pelagic area preferred by the 'bows is closer to shore, in August when the kings go off the feed in preparation for their run, and many of them head east to run the SR.  The idea is to get a few more into the tributaries where they are the only game all winter and spring, and by saying 25" to keep,  many more should be able to spawn, which would be a good thing if the fry can make it through a whole year plus in the river to grow to smolt size.  And the brown limit comes from the massive harvest that occurs on west end and CNY tribs that are close to BT stocking sites, where the browns get hammered for eggs every fall.  We used to catch browns all winter at places like Russell Station and the mouth of Irondequoit Creek, but there are far fewer lately because so many have been kept in the streams, often stripped of the eggs and the carcass dumped.  Even a lot of the Charter Operators have vocally supported reductions in the tributaries because of this "wanton waste."   It will likely have less impact in the Mexico Bay area because the runs are smaller, I think because the spring trollers are so efficient at removing the browns up there, or a lot of the captains down here encourage at least some C+R.

If the fishing in the big pond is what was reported last summer, you'd do well to try a couple of trolling weekends with the Daisy this summer, HT.  You might want to investigate launching at Irondequoit Bay Marine Park (https://parks.ny.gov/parks/100/details.aspx) and camping in Webster Park (https://www2.monroecounty.gov/parks-webster.php), or out to Hughes Marina (http://www.hughesmarina.com/), you'd be right in the middle of what was hot last year, although the only place that sounded like it was only luke warm was Henderson, and even they were getting lots of Kings out in the trench in June and July.  But you may want to wait to see what is being reported in April and May, if the Canadian side lights up it may be more normal on this side of the lake.
post edited by Lucky13 - 2019/02/22 11:08:04
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/02/22 20:50:24 (permalink)
Ny outdoors news rag is a waste of paper, same with the Albany times union rob streeter blogs years ago.
The only worthy rag read was from Troy years ago and that was free.
Rod and reel streemside with Don on PBS real deal.
I will actually attend the Schenectady SOL .
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/02/22 20:51:37

chartist1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: State of the Lake 2019/02/24 12:28:37 (permalink)
For me, last year was the best steelhead season in the 8 years I've been going.  But, I always go early October so maybe they were just early last year?  Haven't seen big Coho numbers.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/02/24 16:00:20 (permalink)
chartist1
For me, last year was the best steelhead season in the 8 years I've been going.  But, I always go early October so maybe they were just early last year?  Haven't seen big Coho numbers.

That's cool. I think you stayed low as I heard that was sweet most fall.
I don't mind later in year, just timing ain't been right.
Might still get a shot before the cabin fever fishermen sprout

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/05/30 17:57:11 (permalink)
I'm already seeing box out of kings out of Oswego from charters I know

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/05/31 10:36:00 (permalink)
The lake was totally on fire from as soon as guys could get out until the bait moved in, it is getting a little harder now as they are out a bit deeper and they're finding bait, so the metal things are not quite as attractive, but big boxes appear to be the 2019 story, like in 2018.  The big problem unless you rented a slip is getting in, many of the launches are closed, and many that are open require two people and the use of boots, and it is 5 mph limit and no wake within 1000 feet of shore, and all the boat mounties are out to make sure people follow those rules.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/05/31 14:51:07 (permalink)
We my one striper charter friend splashed down yesterday and boxed out with kings on a shakedown trip by 1 PM. . 120fow-80' down in Oswego. Today they did a brown shakedown and boxed out by 11am.
Tomorrow he starts his client trips and is pretty much booked till September.

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: State of the Lake 2019/05/31 17:23:55 (permalink)
Well it appears that there will be plenty of Salmon sniffing the tribs come Sept.I'm surprised that they are off the big O this early,I thought they stay west until later and then migrate east to the SR late AUG/Sept???
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/05/31 20:18:22 (permalink)
Last 2 maybe 3 years, with the record high lake levels, they been slaying then in close. Probably currents , cooler water, nutrients and the abundant alwives that always seem to be the wolf cry.
I know for fact, there are a ton of healthy salmon out there.
The lake boom is on the last 3 years like it was in the 80's heyday.
Only difference now is there are fewer fish in that big big pond, so if they get plucked out before they reach the rivers than the trib angler has fewer. If the hatchery gets their quota at the new limits ( which they have) then all is happy.
Remember, it was always a lake fishery in the beginning and they are in glory once again

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/07/22 17:32:58 (permalink)
some of you may have read this on LOU, its written from my local rag. I don't have any inside knowledge as to whats really happening , only what the article is posting.
If this is true, its sad and going to get ugly..

https://www.hudsonvalley360.com/article/ecos-forced-cut-back-enforcement?wallit_nosession=1

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: State of the Lake 2019/07/23 12:13:07 (permalink)
What is he thinking?A total waste of man power and it will really get the "lifters" a boost to "lift"!I don't understand any reason for this.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/07/23 20:06:17 (permalink)
I fo0rwarded it on to our Local Fisheries Board.  Scary stuff here in the Emperor's, I mean Empire, State.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/07/23 20:59:38 (permalink)
Thanks L-13.
The confusing part of this article is the definition of " state land " and " public land "
While they seem to mean the same in the article, I'm not sure if it's the same on paper.
Isn't dec access " public land " but not state land ? My undertakings are places like the salmon river are not " state land " so the dec would still have jurisdiction.
Areas like a state launch would fall under this action. So while you may be on said " lake " the dec can patrol but once inside the " state" confines of the launch, they can not.
Sadly, it could mean many over the limits may occur because there will be nobody there to check

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/07/24 07:40:44 (permalink)
I don't know a lot from the article, but I forwarded it to people who are pretty known by the legislative contingent around here so we can find out a little more.  Actually, until the transfer recently, all the DEC access to the SR was private land, with easements.

I wonder how much of this is coming out of the valient attempts by ENCON to stop the wholesale slaughter of out of season, undersized, and over limits of Striped bass and tautog down in the NYC area, "Stop all this "persecution of the poor" or whatever, they need those fish to survive! 

I am sure that we will request a visit from the Region 8 Lieutenant who has been visiting our fisheries advisory board to detail enforcement efforts on the Genesee River, which is DEC Public Access, but is in no way public land.  Once we get the full scoop, the pens will get going and the letters will start to descend on the folks we send to Albany.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/08/12 16:07:23 (permalink)
The 2018 SOL report from the NYSDEC LO Unit has been put on the Internet, just in time for you to read!  http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/lourpt18.pdf
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/08/12 17:38:38 (permalink)
So there were 356 pages. They totally lost my interest by page 20 when everything they said was the baitfish and overall sizes were the lowest in over the past 10 years but the trout and salmon catches reported for 2018 were excellent.
2019 has also been reported to be towards historic levels.

So does all this mean they will continue to cry the sky is falling ?
I pretty much give up on trying to reason their data

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/08/12 18:55:29 (permalink)
This is apple to orange but here is my 2019 stripers report from the might muddy:
Before the season started in NY, there were emergency striped bas closures in some coastal states. I think Virginia was 1. This was announced due to marine data.
A few years back the slot limits hit here and no herring in ct and I believe NJ to help rebuild the fishery.
2019 had one of the best river conditions in a very long time. No ice jams, no flooding.
This season I put 57 stripers on my boat or released along the side. It's a personal record for me living on and fishing this river my entire life .
Now the bad news :
90% of those fish came in a 6 day period.
The other 10 % were just a week prior.
80% of those fish were keeper sized 18-28"
50% were kept.
Not 1 fish was over the slot of 40"

I know and friends of charters that fish there daily. They all had at or near record days.
Only a handful of fish were over 40 and probably 30% in the throw back slot.
By the same token anything legal was kept as there were many more fishers on board.
All that said, they basically pulled out at the same time I did.

Now also get this:
The dec boat is right at my dock.
They did 1 weekend patrolling, no nights or other days. I was told its funding issues.
With the slot obviously not working, I'm reluctant as to the things that happen are better
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/08/12 19:07:42

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/08/13 08:00:40 (permalink)
hot tuna
So there were 356 pages. They totally lost my interest by page 20 when everything they said was the baitfish and overall sizes were the lowest in over the past 10 years but the trout and salmon catches reported for 2018 were excellent.
2019 has also been reported to be towards historic levels.

So does all this mean they will continue to cry the sky is falling ?
I pretty much give up on trying to reason their data

You are welcome, I spend my time looking for this just so you can vent and kvetch!

You would have to read the data to reason with it.  You glanced at the summary, and then wrote the whole thing off.  Sort of like "I heard a POTR song once.  I didn't like it.  Therefore the band must suck all the time."

If you took a good look at the data series shown graphically in the full report, not the summary, in the section Brian Weidel does on the trawl surveys, you might see that the sky is precariously close to falling now.  And, having seen the preliminary report on the 2019 netting, I can assure you , things are not getting better. Hindsight says the first and second stocking cuts  should have been larger, or something is going on beyond the control of the managers (remember Alewife are NOT indigenous to LO, and are at the northern edge of their temperature range). Also, look at the full report on fish condition at the hatchery.  Average sizes of returning fish by year class are all down,  hens by as much as 3 lbs.  Of course it was a banner year for catching predators out there, they were unable to find the amount of real food they needed, so they were hitting every shiny thing that went by, as they have been doing this year.  It will be late October before the Lake Ontario Committee (NYS and Canada) finalizes the 2019 reaction to the continuing decline of alewife in the lake, they want data on condition of returning fish this fall before they act, but I'll predict another cut to stocking, and this time all heads will roll, steelhead will not escape the axe, browns might because they are not as pelagic and are apparently chowing down all year on gobies at their depths, but if it is out in the open water in the summer looking for little silver fish,  there will likely be less going in in 2020.  Or, they could sit back and watch the whole thing go to hell in a handbag, or even accelerate the decline, if they listen to west end charter operators, who tend to be the loudest (and rudest) of the naysayers, and increase king stocking (I know when I am short of chicken feed, the best thing I can do for my flock is put a bunch more chickens in the coop).  

I know how easy it is to second guess professional biologists, it is almost an American pastime, but, having eked out a living in science and working side by side with some of these guys for the last 30+ years, I can attest to the hard work and dedication of guys Like Steve LaPan and Andy Todd, the Lake Ontario Committee; and others like Dan Bishop, Mike Connerton, Fran Verdoliva of DEC, and Brian Weidel of USGS, etc.  Some of us need a sense of personal satisfaction with what we do (kind of like you and your box farm), and we get that from working toward a set of objectives (The Lake Ontario Fish Community Objectives), and then if nature cooperates with our actions, seeing them met.  And I know from personal conversations with Steve just how much he cares and is concerned about another possible Lake Huron scenario.  He didn't loose all that hair from not giving a **** LOL!

I won't go into the possible effects of retention of 50% of legal catch on striped bass populations documented to already be in decline, but a wild card in all that seems to me from reading Cuffs and Collars in the NYS paper that you have already decided is useless, that there is an inordinate amount of poaching of striped bass in NYC and along the lower Hudson.  And I've been called out for thread hijacking before, so I'll mention that here, too.
post edited by Lucky13 - 2019/08/13 08:12:13
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/08/13 09:44:52 (permalink)
OK, so here's this year's trawl data.  The LO Committee put it on the GLFC website, so I am not letting anything from the Stakeholders group conference call two weeks ago out of the bag.

http://www.glfc.org/pubs/lake_committees/ontario/2019_preliminary_status_of_Lake_Ontario_Alewife.pdf

Please look at the trawl data on Size and numbers of alewife hatched in 2018 in the spring 2019 trawls.  My reading of those numbers is they are very small in size, and from a biomass standpoint, almost non existent.  "Oh, they should have been over here 200 yards" does not cut it , if they used standardized depths and locations when they found beaucoup alewife, finding few alewife MIGHT just mean they are not there. 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/08/13 17:16:19 (permalink)
L-13, your not going to like what I have to say but I have a right to my thoughts. I'm not in any way saying I'm right or you're wrong but I will speak my peace.
Stripers: 100% of those 50% were mortality wounded fish, hence the other 50% healthy fish were released. I could have kept them all. Instead I chose to release the healthy fish . Circle hooks make ZERO difference.
Secondly, I work for a world wide company. Times are very tough in the economy no matter what fake news reports . 2009 is certainly coming again very soon.
Our company put put a global standard notice to first and foremost buy parts and equipment from CHINA. Now, all those other countries do not pay tariffs like imposed by the USA but it doesn't matter. The USA plants are instructed to buy from China first. The justification is the rest of the plants in the world will make up the difference in costs the USA pays in tariff.
Freaking SAD !!!

So with that out of the way in hijacking, here is my sol view.
Absolutely the people doing their job are dedicated and knowledgeable. The belief I have is they are handcuffed and required to provide justification for anything made public.
Let's start with bait and biomass.
So many times I've heard it is in jeopardy, be it a worst winter die off or an over abundance of predators. This does not sit well with me because things have peaks and valleys. I've read thing like changing trawling methods, abundance of zebra mussels, gobbies ,lack of zooplankton and low lake levels have attributes. Right now we are seeing record lake levels which is promoting zooplankton.
Second:
Natural reproduction of chinooks:
Why now ? Chinooks have been planted in that lake since I have been born. All of the sudden there is an explosion of natural reproduction ? Hogwash.. it's just justification to reduce stocking levels. As we all know, a fish stocked cost $$$ to raise. Bottom line.
Third : ah stocking..
As you also said above, the cuts will go deep. To me its about funding not resources. Have to justify it somewhere on paper to make it stick on the wall. If you can't, someone else will take your place to make it happen.
Currently lake trout and Atlantic are getting federal money. Rest assured once that stops so will their program as well.
Lastly:
I'm sure the 536 page document took as much time and funds to prepare than the actual hands on work to collect the data. Sometimes its just not right the way things work.
I am very skeptical of anything I read put out to the public. Its not the people behind the scenes, it's the information published.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/08/13 18:35:54 (permalink)
Now that I'm ranting, here is another tork.
Federal funding on the lake trout and Atlantic restoration.
This money is available towards that program. As to my knowledge, it's a use it or lose it funds. Kinda the same with our capital projects funding. If you can't justify using the allotment, typically the following year its reduced or cut.
Straight line says, it's for restoration and stocking of natural fish in their environment.
Folks will put every effort into following that mission, impossible or not spending every dollar no matter where it goes within that mission and saying it's not enough.
Creative minds will use the abundance of chicken feed to put towards improving the flock that puts food on the table and call it research and development towards habitat.
Just sayin..

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: State of the Lake 2019/09/02 16:16:20 (permalink)
I'm sorry L-13 but I disagree.
The fish I've seen and firsthand reports from charters are that the fish and the lake are healthy.
The labor day 2019 also indicated a very good population and healthy salmon.
If these fish out in the great blue yonder were not finding forage and just striking anything shining, their heads would be large and their bodies skinny as is the case on ostego lake. This is not the case based on the people putting boats in the water and boots on the ground.

Enjoy it while it's there before science screws it up.

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: State of the Lake 2019/09/03 08:35:35 (permalink)
This reminds me a lot of the California DFG and their eradication of high altitude trout. Goldens are native to many lakes, but bows, brooks and browns were planted at 10-11k, decades ago, some by milk can and pack horse in the early 1900's. There's an indigenous  Bufo called the yellow-legged mountain frog whose population is dwindling rapidly. What to do?  Blame the trout and start  killing off lakes. Oddly that sentiment is coming down hill and what are they promoting loudly? Native species.  Hmmmm, with the depletion of ozone, especially at high altitude, and the frog's epidermis being highly susceptible to disease when exposed to prolonged ultraviolet and drying, one would take that as a factor. Not according to the CDFG, it's them **** trout that just started in recent times to develop a taste for frog. Trout fishing on the east side of the Sierra is as important to the economy as salmon are to Pulaski. Opening day is a holiday called Fishmas.  Bottom line? Hatcheries are expensive. 
    I'm as pro-science , pro-biology as can be, but I'm also very aware of budgetary constraints and manipulation.  Also there's the will of  powerful politicians to get their pet projects and ideas done. I'm watching some riparian habitat getting screwed for Cuomo's Empire Trail, a HUGE boondoggle in my opinion.  I've just witnessed over a million  being dumped into 1/4 mile stretch.  State biologists are involved in the project and some of the money is invariably being siphoned from somewhere. To be fair, I've talked to several local DEC officers that make much fun of the Salmon River. Their mandatory duty there during silly season left them laughing and shaking their heads. As much as we on this forum love it, others think it's a fake circus.  I think a salmon /steel license of 25 bucks or so should be instituted  with the money to go directly to the hatchery.  Not everyone looks at sport fishing with kind eyes. We need to pay for ourselves and separate our monies from other concerns, like the massive crowds in the High Peaks, politicians pet projects, and those that think fishing and hunting is murder. Along those lines, why can't all the people trying to become 46'ers pay a fee to offset the **** parking disasters and trail destruction, let alone the  expense for SAR. The dacks have become like a free National Park without the budget to handle the crowds. Has to stop.  Biologists should be allowed to do what they do best- assess and gather empirical evidence.  Not assess the political will or budgetary allowance for certain sets of data. Maybe if we pay more for our pleasures, this can happen. Probably not, but what the hay........
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: State of the Lake 2019/09/03 12:26:00 (permalink)
CT instituted a trout/salmon stamp ($5.00) in 2018.  While I'm not against a nominal fee for NYS I am concerned as to where it's headed.  Politics has a way of reinventing and moving the bar by instituting additional fees.  Cuomo is presently trying to play a shell game with mandatory new license plates for a new additional fee of $25.00 per registered vehicle/trailer.  So those of us who purchased a new or registered a used vehicle with new tags may be in for another set of tags and fees if the governor has his way.  As a lifetime NYS sportsman license (hunting- small & large game, fishing, bow, muzzle loader & turkey) holder I don't care for adding another fee to the list unless I have a guarantee that those funds won't end up in some general fund that's subject to the whims of the leeches in Albany.  
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: State of the Lake 2019/09/03 16:06:21 (permalink)
And there's the crux, TB. Any fee that should be directly earmarked for the hatchery or adding public access would in all likelihood slither sideways into some other endeavor.  Sucks.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to: