Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Hoaky
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2019/01/19 09:38:46 (permalink)

Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek

Has anyone heard anything on the purchase of this property, and has it been finalized.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/01/20 23:37:08 (permalink)
Fish commission says it will be “ready for fall steelhead 2019.” I emailed them a couple months ago and that was their response.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
WVDepscritch
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 93
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/08/12 20:27:06 (permalink)
Well,  it's almost time for fall steelhead and no mention of opening the Beckman Farm access!! 

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/08/13 10:27:36 (permalink)
yeah I checked map the other day to see if it was added yet ...WCW

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/08/13 10:41:47 (permalink)
Hmmm..... maybe why I have no response (yet) to my email regarding ElkCreek launch.

PFBC busy readying for "ribbon cutting ceremonies" at Beckman Farm Road Access.

Too busy with puting together a schedule so's all the dignitaries can showboat..... errr, attend.😉

Takes time, don't ya know?

Good times and tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

NWCHROMER
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/08/13 12:30:33 (permalink)
I actually emailed the PFBC 6 days ago asking about this purchase.  As of right now, no response. 

Even if the purchase does happen, I think quite a few folks might be disappointed when they get into the gorge.  From what I am being told by people who have fished there recently, many of the fish holding areas have filled in and there are only 3 main fish holding areas left. 

The I90 hole, which I am told had quite a few fish holding last season.  Although the Gilmore property extends past I90 to the confluence of Brandy run, I don't believe any property north of I90 is included in the purchase so the bridge at I90 would be as far as the access extends.  a short distance downstream, at Brandy run, another landowners property begins and the masses will not have permission to fish this property or use it to access the Gilmore property.

The Highwall hole, which also had quite a few fish holding and is the best hole in the area.  This particular hole might cause some controversy.  According to the Plat map, only one side of the creek is included in the Gilmore property.  I know for a fact that the landowner on the other side will not give permission to the masses and will not enter into any easement.  This hole might be difficult to fish unless you want to pull the fish up a 200 foot cliff. 

The other hole is at the confluence of Elk/Little Elk, I believe it was called the black hole in the past?  There were a few fish in this hole but nothing to write home about and certainly not worth walking a mile to access. 

The  landowner on the other side of Elk and the Gilmore's own property alternately on both sides of the creek.  Technically, there are spots where this landowner owns both sides of the creek for a short distance and could, if he chose to do so, restrict access (the area at the confluence of Elk/Little elk is an example).  Of course one could legally walk around his property and back down to the creek on the other side since he owns only a short distance from the creek, but I think everyone knows that won't happen. 

Again, I have not personally been into this area for many years (pre-Beaver) so I cannot confirm any of this; however, the sources are very reliable.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/08/23 09:43:07 (permalink)
Can anyone say “wet blanket?”
I’ll take any new access areas I can get. Right now I’m fortunate to still be young and fit enough to navigate some difficult terrain so I don’t mind the walk. I know that’s not the case for all and I don’t take health or youth for granted!! I’ll see if it’s “worth the trip” in November or December.

NWCHROMER
New Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/08/27 15:19:52 (permalink)
Below is the PFBC response to my email...

The acquisition of the property has taken longer than anticipated due to delays in getting the property survey and the environmental assessment of the land completed.  The Lake Erie Region Conservancy hopes to have settlement on the property before the end of the calendar year. 
Due to this the property will remain off limits as posted.

Cpt. Tom Edwards
PA Fish & Boat Commission
Bureau of Law Enforcement
Northwest Region Office
Hoaky
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/08/27 17:53:35 (permalink)
Thanks for the update, hopefully they will let us know if and when the new acquisition will be finally acquired and fishable. It will be nice to have new water to fish.
WVDepscritch
Novice Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/08/27 19:51:17 (permalink)
Like I said awhile back I am not holding my breath and glad I didn't
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/08/29 14:35:00 (permalink)
I’m holding my breath! I haven’t slept in months....it’s all I think about lol.

rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/09/03 11:16:30 (permalink)
Hurry up and wait. The wheels of Gubment grind ever so slowly.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
WVDepscritch
Novice Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/09/03 21:09:31 (permalink)
Check is in the mail
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/09/08 13:10:10 (permalink)
I think NWCHROMER nailed it with his post......Beckman is not even close to what it was years pasts. At one time there were at least 8 areas of runs and holes that held fish in that area. With the low water conditions of the past 5 years and winter erosion of the high banks filling the creek I doubt many areas hold fish anymore.....shallow runs are probably the case now. That I-90 hole also changes year to year ...some years it was nice others it was shallow and empty..... but more areas to fish are always welcome .

The "Big Hole " was the best !

Notice how high the flows were back then ....same hole area looking upstream to it ....haven't seen nice Elk water flows like these in years....this was 15 years ago .

WVDepscritch
Novice Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/09/08 17:30:24 (permalink)
I remember!
Panfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 799
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/09/08 22:21:21 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
I think NWCHROMER nailed it with his post......Beckman is not even close to what it was years pasts. At one time there were at least 8 areas of runs and holes that held fish in that area. With the low water conditions of the past 5 years and winter erosion of the high banks filling the creek I doubt many areas hold fish anymore.....shallow runs are probably the case now. That I-90 hole also changes year to year ...some years it was nice others it was shallow and empty..... but more areas to fish are always welcome .

Captain
 How far upstream is the "big hole" from the I90 bridge?

post edited by Panfisher - 2020/10/07 11:22:55

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
WVDepscritch
Novice Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/01 18:05:02 (permalink)
Well here it is almost Dec. and nothing about the access again!
Like I said earlier the check is in the mail and now I guess I will have to look for a job tomorrow ( sound familiar? )
Millerdaga
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/01 18:11:07 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK

Notice how high the flows were back then ....same hole area looking upstream to it ....haven't seen nice Elk water flows like these in years....this was 15 years ago .

CAPTAIN HOOK

+1

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/01 19:55:05 (permalink)
I just emailed the fish commish again. Let’s see what they say.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/01 20:00:09 (permalink)
Rumor has it after Dec. it might be open again, but parking needs to be worked out ....that's what I heard thru the grapevine ..... who knows.
NWCHROMER
New Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/02 01:28:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CAPTAIN HOOK 2019/12/03 07:17:35
Parking will be at the gate on Beckman Rd.  I do not know if the PFBC/LERC will allow people to drive to the back of the field or require people to park along Beckman and walk through the field.  There is a quad trail that begins somewhere near the end of the field which leads down through the gorge to the creek.  The cell tower was not part of the purchase so you will not be allowed to park/drive there (it will remain posted).  The transfer is supposed to take place in mid December.  Once the transfer is complete, the PFBC will send out a press release and a sign will be posted by either the PFBC or LERC at the gate on Beckman Rd informing people the land is now open to the public (I'm guessing all of the posted signs will be taken down as well).  All of this information was given to me by the current landowner when I last spoke to him a couple months ago. 
A lot of people are going to be seriously let down when they walk a mile down into that gorge and find out they can't fish the best hole in the stretch because its posted by the landowner - unless you want to fish from the top of a several hundred foot cliff.  That hole is the one pictured in Captains earlier posts. 
Even if the fishing isn't great in that area like it was years ago, It's still a very scenic area and will be a nice place to visit again after all the years of being closed off to the public.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/02 08:45:22 (permalink)
The commission responded very promptly again. Within hours of my message to them. They said:
“The process is still continuing there was a holdup in some additional funding. We anticipate the acquisition will be completed in the spring, until that time it is still off limits. There will be a press release once the process is complete.”

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/03 07:30:12 (permalink)
Newchromer pretty much posted exactly what I heard . Yes the best hole will be posted, and since it's been over 15 years that I fished that area I'm not sure how many other holding areas are left. The bad thing is that hole is the half way mark so you might not be able to go either way depending on which way you entered the gorge by the north walk down in or the south walk.... I'm with him I think it will be a major let down for such a long hike in and out.....too bad....but it's another option. 
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/03 13:19:15 (permalink)
Man yinz are some real downers!!!! Get ahht the wet blankets!!

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/03 21:27:50 (permalink)
Just spreading the truth ....to the masses waiting in line !
No sugar coating ever from the Captain... fished that area steady for over 10 peaceful years so have at it ....enjoy ! 
chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/04 19:45:36 (permalink)
Cliff side is eisment

Proud to have been a FOT/
I've been out fishing.
Clean your gear/
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/04 20:59:37 (permalink)
That side is the deep side ....impossible to wade or walk that cliff side ....so that creates a travel problem up or down there....plus that was the #1 holding hole on that whole stretch and it's off limits by the reports....there are a few other holding holes and runs, but now you will have to decide what trail (only 2 ) to walk down to fish what stretch because that being posted splits that area in exactly half.  That hole is about a 3/4 mile walk from Beckman road and both trails down are a steep walk into the gorge. It's no picnic walking and hiking back out with waders on no matter what way you go in .....  the I-90 trail or the old logging trail. 

I'd post the all the fish pictures but I'd hate to see FOM eyes water......lol

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/06 12:20:09 (permalink)
Dearest wet blanketers, and all other interested parties. The property was transferred yesterday and is now open. Press release next week.
Ssshhhhhhh lol.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/06 14:04:33 (permalink)
LOL......go get em boys. I drew you the map ....enjoy ...always worth trying a new spot ...let me know how the old spot is ....I sure miss it !
chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
Re: Beckman Rd acess area to Elk creek 2019/12/06 17:31:21 (permalink)
Very good news.
A lot of effort by a great deal of people made it happen. 
Let us not forget the ones whom have passed over the years, whom worked and fought for access for the generations to come.
Cheers!!

Proud to have been a FOT/
I've been out fishing.
Clean your gear/
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: