Helpful ReplyArchery season 2018

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 15
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/04 09:06:20 (permalink)
Them's the good stories Thunderpole. We was right there with you. Maybe only in memories but we was there.

Don't become your own worst enemy with the rattling and grunt calls. That Doe may not be in estrus but I bet she winked at him. He may not pay much attention to you but she winds you or, spots you doing goofy stuff and she spooks to another area, he's gonna follow. I'm sure you know that and also know you're in her living room and she knows, when a strange piece of furniture suddenly shows up.

I see the area you hunt and I hate that. A foot too high and no shooting and a foot too low the deer will go.

Good luck, from your story, I'm excited to see pictures, in the near future.👍👍👍
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/11/04 09:09:07

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/04 09:13:34 (permalink)
Pulled cards this morning. One daylight doe all week. One big buck at night on the field camera. Five different bucks, three shooters, on the treehouse camera, all at night. Found two new scrapes on trails leading to the treehouse.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/04 09:16:05 (permalink)
Dardy the buck showing any sign? I sure aint seeing it yet.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/04 10:04:59 (permalink)
They have taken over the mock scrapes I made. Also the have laid additional scrapes every 15-30 yards in all directions from them.

Somewhat swollen necks, but not full rut looking at all.

And as goofy as it sounds, while there are some big shooters on camera, they aren’t the bruisers that typically show up +/- 5 days of Halloween.

Moses Guthrie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/04 10:11:12 (permalink)
Friday decided to hunt a stand that was out of the wind, sat all day saw 5 doe in the am, a couple more round 1:30 then round 5:30 picked up good rack moving left to right quartering away from me at about 90 yds out. Hit the grunt call and got his attention. Half circled me till he got down wind and slowly worked his way to about 45 yds out taking a few steps n then trying to catch my wind. It was a very large 10 pt who then turned back to the direction he was heading, he paid no attention to another series of grunts after. it was a little after 6 the time the show was over.

Sat in the same stand all day yesterday n saw 1 doe in the afternoon n that was it. Can't wait to sit in the rain again tomorrow!
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/04 10:30:28 (permalink)
By the time I tried calling to him she was in the corn outta sight ,hopefully they come back it was a crazy unexpected evening so dang close! I may have lost the battle but I feel like I won the war, altho I didn't kill him it still felt like a success imo, I'm fired up to call off work now lol

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/04 12:37:24 (permalink)
Thunderpole I feel the excitement.  That's great neighbor, best part of hunting as far as I'm concerned.  Good luck.

Dardy, I've never tried a mock scrape but I sure like messing with the ones a buck will make.  I'll find a long tree branch resembling a rake and scrape leaves and debris back over the area they clear. 

Now days I'll put a camera up watching the spots but in the old days, I'd use "thread" between trees to find a travel lane then tie thread across those lanes at different times to give me an idea when the deer where coming by.

I also trim back all the under brush at the edge of my fields leaving one low hanging branch hoping  a buck will hit on it.  Just found one such scrape this morning though it looks like it may have been just a first attempt or maybe made by a very young buck, struttin his stuff.

I guess time will tell but it could mean a long long time sitting in my tree swing my feet, between now and the end of the season.

Not seeing much activity in my fields until the weeeeee hours of the morning, but a few bucks are prowling and the doe are there so hopefully, the bucks will stay interested and forget what time of day it is. 

One picture does show a scrub six hanging out on the south east section of a field and this photo shows a bigger feller on a section of the field where the newly found scrape is.  Hope he comes by to present a shot before the scrub does.

So in closing, may I wish all yinz all and me too...… good luck.

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/11/04 12:42:47

Attachment(s)

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/04 13:42:39 (permalink)
Thuderpole,he must be a giant. He son buck scored officially at 138 7/8 inches. Time for me to book,Ohio giant whitetail await me. Go Steelers 7-3 
mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/04 13:51:05 (permalink)
Checked my camera’s this morning not a lot going on.. Few doe and a bunch of wet weather ... lol. But 3 Pretty active scrapes 2 probably 25 yds from stand near field , other one on the path going to my other stand ... last week so guessing this is getter done week but so far been a crazy season . Good luck y’all ... just like walking through a swamp in my area ...
post edited by mopars0 - 2018/11/04 13:52:28

STEVE.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/05 07:52:26 (permalink)
Well boss man didn't say to much about me taking time off, the last 4 days look perfect cold front moving in Wednesday possibly snow they will be moving rain tomorrow so I'm going in to hang a stand for big Jim honestly I have doubts I'll see him again but I sure hope!

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/05 11:33:46 (permalink)

Did I miss anything this morning and "is the 'rut' up to my little piece of Penn's Woods.....yet"???

Yeah... yeah I know,  BOOOO!!  HSSSS!!! 

Bit of a balmy south wind this morning bringing periods of heavy dew or something resembling, spitting from the sky.    Wind getting gusty at times makes for a unhappy hunter cause I ain't out sitting in the crap...…. yet 

It seems someone was backing his boat into her birth and needed to pull evvvvver so slightly forward to straighten with the trailer when for some unknown reason, someone  pulled evvvver so slightly too faaaar forward getting someone's back tires off the gravel drive into the grass.

Noooooo someone didn't get stuck unless the twenty foot long ruts 12" deep can be considered stuck. (note to self; thank goodness for FWD(18" tires too )) 

Howevrrrrrr, someone who should be sitting in a tree swinging his feet, happy as a Lark, will now be washing someone's truck.  (note to self;  thank goodness for power washers( 2.8 GPM 2800 PSI))

Now if you will excuse me, I must go and find a nice quiet place, to cry. 

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/05 11:56:49 (permalink)
Well, my daughter's archery season hit a snag on Friday.
I had Friday off and planned on setting up an 18' double ladder stand on a new property close to home I got permission to hunt on.  @ noon, walking in to scout to see where I am going to put it, I see a really nice 7 or 8 pt staring at me about 80 yds out on the trail.  He finally scampers off and when I get to where he was, I could smell his "ruttiness."  Picked out a tree about 80 yds away in a good area of converging trails that lead up to an oak flat.  2 more trips back and forth to the truck with the stand components (walking over 400 yds) and I soon come to realize after multiple attempts, I am not going to get an 18' double ladder up in the tree by myself.  So now, I have a 12' double ladder stand set.  It will have to do.

Plan was to have my daughter get a quick no-scent shower when she hopped off the bus @ 3:20pm and head to the stand.  @ 2pm, on my way back home after setting the stand, I get a call from the wife that I need to head to the school to pick up my daughter.  She got injured in gym class.  So, rush home to change and run up and grab her and her thumb is busted (visibly displaced).  Headed to MedExpress for the xrays/splint and my wife met me there and she stayed and I went home to get my boy off the bus.  It was his turn up now and we did hit the stand but didn't see anything that first evening.  At least we have until the Sat. after Thanksgiving and after some time, my daughter should be healed up enough to get back out there, maybe from the ground.
Ortho didnt think any ligament damage so, as long as she doesn't fall on it, no surgery.  Got a removable cast put on @ 730am this morning.  

My son did have fun on the walk out in the almost darkness.  He leaned up against a dead, head high, hollowed out stump and a bird must have been settled in for the night in it and took off, brushing his face/neck with its wing.  He got a kick out of that.  Saw some deer along the road on the way home so we weren't totally skunked.
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/05 12:37:11 (permalink)
Sorry she busted up the thumb but glad it sounds uncomplicated for healing (so far). Hope it heals up enough to salvage part of her season and she still gets a chance at a wall hanger! Good luck to your boy also... great to see you getting them into it!
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/05 14:09:30 (permalink)
Hope the girl's ok,and good luck with the youngsters. My deer hunting was put pretty much put hold when my son was young,I had to make sure he got his buck before I even started,I don't regret it because he is one H-'ll of a bow hunter now. On another note Ohio was no good on Sunday,but I probably could have shot 10 limits of woodies  and mallards. Flooded oak woods with acorns floating everywhere. Monday morning even worse daylight till 1:00 pm. One lonely doe at 8:00 am. Not much rutting activity in my neck of the woods. I'm about ready to make a drastic move to a residential wood plot. Not much woods but a lot of deer.
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/05 19:32:53 (permalink)
Ok spent some time in my stand this afternoon 2:30 until dark . Pretty good day to be out not raining , wind pretty calm but only thing wrong about this no deer 😡. Still swampy for sure had to lock in the 4 wheel drive just to be safe coming back out of the field .rattled some , grunted some actually I guess a lot 😜👍... Think I even had the squirrels laughing at me .... lol So no deer seen and that’s my story ....good luck y’all time running out ....

STEVE.
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/05 19:37:27 (permalink)
Well, just before 5 the 8 I had stroll up the driveway played along and came up the path offering me a shot. Soon as I let it fly I watched him duck, and my arrow hit much higher than I wanted. Spun around and dropped for a second, then took off with the bolt stuck up to the fletchings in him. Let it go for an hour and a half, then decided to see what blood sign I could find. Followed the path I knew he headed in for about 75yds with no signs of blood. I'm sick. Gonna run to town and get some propane and let it lay for a while, then start searching the creek bottom. Hope I find some sign before the rain starts tonight
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/05 20:53:34 (permalink)
Yikes, I open the board and two, 'not so happy camper' stories.

Eyes best wishes to your daughter for a quick and complete recovery.

Crappie_Slayer I'm with ya in thought man. If I knew where you were at, I'd be there too. Good luck. 😯

Mopars' dang straight on FWD, I know sumthin bout them 'soft fields' buddy.

As for spending my day afield, 😭never happened 'cause it took the better part of the day getting ' afield unstuck from my truck.😩

(pics submitted for the "no pics, don't count kids)

But tomorrow..... tomorrow, bright and early, my wife and I off to do some casting. No not fishing ya silly's, we're off to cast our ballots.😉

Don't forget to get out and vote. 👍👍
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/11/05 21:20:49

Attachment(s)

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/05 23:02:45 (permalink)
Spent 2 hrs searching the area I shot and direction this buck headed for any sign of blood with no result. Absolutely disgusted. Will be back out tomorrow morning searching high and low for him in the rain, but as I keep replaying the whole scenario in my head I really think that there is a high possibility I hit him above the spine. When I hit him he dropped to the ground, then jumped up and took off like a bat out of hell right past me and toward the creek bottom with the arrow stuck in him 3-4" from the top of his back. Not gonna sleep well tonight,
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/05 23:35:56 (permalink)
Well that sucks Crappie ... hope you find him , have been there. Did that years ago hit 7pt watched it go to top of this little hill , watched it drop. Waited probably 30 -45 minutes thinking where I was taking it to get it processed. Got out of my stand went to get it and it was gone ...thought I hit it good but very little blood was doubting my shoot. Anyways got my buddy & we looked for several more hours Wife and I both took off work the next day. After several hours and rain I gave up never did find it ..... so yes know the feeling .... good luck 👍

STEVE.
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/06 03:13:13 (permalink)
A friend of a friend called me to-nite for the # of a woman that will bring her tracking dogs out to try to recover a  big buck that he hit to-nite. I hope that they found it before this rain started again. I am sure that there will be little sleep for a few guys to-nite.   sam
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/06 07:09:15 (permalink)
Good luck CS. I've wounded 3 bucks in 50 plus years with the bow,not fun. My last one was a 160 class buck in Ohio about 12 years ago,I got tremendous blood for a hundred yards,then I jumped him out of his bed. Rookie mistake,never found a drop of blood after that,looked for the better part of a week. Looked for crows or buzzards without much luck. Even looked the following spring for a skeleton. It's a very sick feeling. I hope your story ends better than mine.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/06 07:17:22 (permalink)
Three all days sits and zero deer seen. No bucks. No does. No deer. Frustrated as heck. I have hunted my best stand and my second best stand and am drawing blanks. 

Took the morning off to wait for this windy front and rain to move through, vote, mentally regroup, then headed out this afternoon to get back at it. 

My rifle is a black rifle
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/06 07:44:53 (permalink)
CS- Same thing happened to my buddy last week in my best stand. He stuck a decent 8 high in the back. He's sick over it. He calls me up the other day to tell me that he thinks he needs to buy lighted nocks, I laughed and said, spend your $$$ on a range finder. In the 20 years I've been archery hunting, I've done it twice. I feel for you guys. Good luck on the recovery. Hound dogs sound like a good idea.

BH
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/06 09:11:19 (permalink)
I also took the morning off. I saw one lone doe on 6 hour sit yesterday.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/06 09:15:33 (permalink)
Dpms I can relate to the regrouping thing I am taking day off from the hunt and getting some work done I am seeing deer just not the rights ones.
Had a 4pt grunting and chasing a doe around 430 pm yesterday but that was highlight of day.I like the weather forcast for end of season GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!   wcw
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/06 10:03:37 (permalink)
Hope you're buddy ended up better than me Mr. Crappie. Spent the entire morning searching high and low with my mom. Checked everywhere, blowdowns, every thick little nasty place I thought he might lay down if he was gonna die, grid searched the entire woods. Came up blank. Again no blood last night, and a pretty good rain last night probably washed any away that was there. Was at least hoping I'd find my bolt snapped off, but nothing. Pretty discouraged. My only hope is that judging from him dropping like a rock at first, and then getting up and tearing off is that i hit him over top of the spine, hitting some of the bone that sticks up and the backstrap. I shoot a 20" bolt, and when he ran back past me only 5-6" of it was covered up with the fletchings sticking out one side, and the rest of it sticking out the other. After I go to work for a few hours ill probably come back and make another search in vain. My best hope is that it was just a meat shot, he got the bolt out, and over the next few weeks maybe I get a pic of him.
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/06 10:23:25 (permalink)
crappie slayer Last year my son hit a approx 130" er too high & searched for 2 days nada,then about 5 days later the buck started to show up on camera limping a little & very skittish then later looked a lot better but with a visible scar Then seen it again in rifle season at night with no visable effects. So there is a good chance that yours will be back. Hope so,it has happened to most of us.  sam
Panfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 799
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/06 11:46:30 (permalink)
dpms
Three all days sits and zero deer seen. No bucks. No does. No deer. Frustrated as heck. I have hunted my best stand and my second best stand and am drawing blanks. 

Took the morning off to wait for this windy front and rain to move through, vote, mentally regroup, then headed out this afternoon to get back at it. 

Wow, thought I was the only one not seeing deer.  Saw one deer last night.   Didn't go out in the rain this morning.  Will go out later this afternoon.   No son of bucks chasing in my neck of the woods yet.  Hopefully today.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/06 12:14:29 (permalink)
Over 30 hours on stand without seeing a deer. They are there at night, 15 different bucks over the last two weeks, but nothing, save for a lone doe, caught on camera, during the day.

Scrape lines are well established and being used. They just need to come out during the daylight.

Poured hard here until an hour ago. Heading out this afternoon. Still deciding whether to go to the treehouse near the creek bottom, which has had the most buck activity or the ground blind near the field edge that has had less activity, but is normally a better evening spot.

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/06 12:50:04 (permalink)
Corn still standing on about 20 of the 30 acres we normally hunt 

Saw a doe and two skippers exit the corn a couple hundred yards away and feed in the neighbor's cut corn about an hour before it got dark.  Also saw a buck slip out of a different row of corn right as light was fading and head off to another neighbor's property.  

I guess I need to get my son a stand set up in our back yard at night with a spotlight.  Over the last couple of days, a buck has torn up some of our young maples pretty well.  
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 15
Jump to: