Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
SteelCityAngler
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
  • Reward points: 0
2018/09/11 10:44:29 (permalink)

Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing

You make the drive, the bite is on, and you want to stay. Paying for a hotel/motel is possible, but this is spur of the moment. I talked with a few angler from WV last year that would drive up the night before and fish in the morning. I've since have been contemplating doing the same thing, but only after a successful day.

Has anyone done this before at any access areas along elk, what about the mouths of elk/walnut? Is it even legal?
holly107
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/11 10:55:31 (permalink)
I slept in my boat and truck many of times in the walmart parking lot. you can take a snooze at walnut during the day but cant stay over night. not sure about elk
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/11 11:22:37 (permalink)
Consider the campgrounds, tenting/primitive camping, etc.?  Google campgrounds in the area you wish to fish but call first to see wassup.  Sum places may be closed for the season or prohibit sleeping in vehicles not intended for camping/travel.  The gooder part, showers, laundry, and potty facilities are available.  Just thinkin out load.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

SteelCityAngler
New Angler
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/11 11:52:04 (permalink)
Walfart was my original idea, but was curious about access areas along elk or the mouths. Campgrounds are out, most are closed or cost money . I'll call the Asbury one and see what's up!
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9698
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/11 11:58:35 (permalink)
This was discussed many years ago, Elk Creek lot does not permit overnight sleeping.  At least it did not then.  Like BTDT said, campground is probably best idea, with amenities.  My stream cred is really taking a hit agreeing with this guy as much as I have lately!  Now that we are talking Erie, I can use the stream cred term!  

I am pretty sure Walmarts allow overnight sleeping, as well as interstate rest areas.  Might even find a lot lizard to keep you warm...  Walmart, you may want to contact the specific store to confirm, but think they all allow.  You may want to bring something to drown out the parking lights if you go that option.

Make sure you plan for sleeping in your SUV.  I camped one night steel head fishing, and got into the lower 40s over night.  Not much sleeping in my bag meant for summer camping...  The next day was rough, drive home was torture, and couldn't wait to get to my bed.  Someone noted a while back that they would put straw in their pickup truck, and made for a nice warm bed.  I'd imagine a blow up mattress would be more comfortable and easier cleanup than straw.

Be careful if wanting to drink a few beers too.  They can get you for DUI, not driving.  Not sure of the exact rules, but probably best to avoid the brews if car sleeping.  Would cut down on the need for a rest room as much too...  Obviously, staying at a campground, you would be fine.  There are a few campgrounds with stream access.  You can light a fire and have some sort of entertainment for the few hours between the end of fishing and going to sleep.  That is probably worth the cost of the site alone...
SteelCityAngler
New Angler
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/11 12:06:14 (permalink)
Searched and couldn't find that post. Lol straw?! Yeah I use a self inflating camping pad so all good there. Good one on the booze though, that would suck! This might not ever happen but you never know. There are days when the drive back is downright dangerous from falling asleep, so this is at least an option.

Are they up to Rt 5 yet, just kidding.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/11 12:23:42 (permalink)
Walmart by the Erie Airport was always my go to back in the day when I wasn't such an old fart.  Leave in the evening after work, fish a few hours, sleep in my Suburban and be back on the water before sunrise.  Back then, Poor Richard's would be open 24/7 for parts of October and November, but now their hours are 5 AM - 5 PM, so if you're a bait chucker like me, plan accordingly.  Not sure if Walmart has an "official" policy on this, but until I realized there was a Walmart by the airport, I'd sleep at the one in Edinboro and saw campers/5th wheels parked in the back of the lot there a few times.  

If you search the PFBC website, you'll find that camping is prohibited on Commission owned property.  That includes parking in their lots at Walnut and Elk and taking a snooze in the middle of the night.  I would imagine that during the peak of the season patrols at night are pretty common since snagging and over-harvesting often happen at night.  

If by chance you wanna spring for a bed, toilet and running water I have stayed at these places and found them all to be decent:

Riviera Motel by Presque Isle: Think it was about $35 a night for a single bed.  Not fancy, but not the worst place I ever stayed

Steelhead Inn by Presque Isle (used to be Flamingo Inn): Newly renovated.  Clean and comfortable.  About $60 a night with the fisherman discount for two twins.

Clarion Inn by Presque Isle: My boys - ages 8 and 14 - like to stay here for the indoor pool and hot tub.  It's about $70 a night and pretty nice.  Breakfast buffet for $5 a person too.  

Most of the campgrounds in Erie where you could pitch a tent close in mid October.  I think Uncle John's on Elk Creek has that option year round, but not sure.  But after mid-October, the idea of tent camping in Erie doesn't seem all that appealing to me anymore.  

post edited by rsquared - 2018/09/11 12:29:59
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/11 13:41:47 (permalink)
SteelCityAngler
Searched and couldn't find that post. Lol straw?! 

I was just noting it was discussed years ago, and I was going off of memory.  I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were being lazy.  I'm pretty sure it was 15 years ago.  Many posts back then started out as one thing, then morphed into completely different topics.  

The guy sleeping in straw was the first thing that came to my mind.  Even if it keeps you warm, I can't imagine all too comfortable, especially itching all night! 

Do some searches on cold weather camping.  Some good tips that you could convert into SUV sleeping.  I know one big thing is going to bed warm.  Once you are cold, it is almost impossible to fall asleep.  Run your car/heater, then make sure you turn it off before falling asleep.  My dad and I used to sleep in our old station wagon when I was a kid.  We always stayed at campgrounds up there.  One time he sprung for an electric site, and took a small portable heater.  He'd keep the car warm until I fell asleep, then went to bed.  Would usually be fine until 5AM.  Which is when you want to get up anyway. There really is no falling back to sleep when it is 45 degrees.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/11 17:02:26 (permalink)
WHAT'S the twenty on the LotLizards C'Monnn. Would certainly be a way to keep warm and likely plenty of bait if them trout hit krotchcrikets. 😣

Spending the night at "pickle parks"
on interstates most likely will get you a visit from "SmokeyBear". It's now a no no in PA.

Definitely call any WalMart before setting up house keeping. Most stores allow overnight stays but some only permit squaters from sunrise to sunset.

Wise "heads-up" regarding alcoholic beverages while sleeping in one's motor vehicle. Even if it was one of Pork's suggestions.😋
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/09/11 17:06:34

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/11 19:18:51 (permalink)
Idk slept in my car at different wally worlds on various trips, never had an issue at any and I never called.

I usually take a nap at the Walmart coming off 79N, of course on most nights you wont be the only pellethed chaser parked there either when the run is on.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 289
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/12 08:32:55 (permalink)
Your allowed to park at the mouth of elk.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/12 09:01:31 (permalink)
Erie_flyfishing

BRad Porter, are you gonna be set up there selling green egg sacks again this year?  

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/12 09:21:15 (permalink)
The fact that we’re having this conversation means dem stilliez are gittun close!!!! It won’t bee long now!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 289
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/12 13:11:37 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
The fact that we’re having this conversation means dem stilliez are gittun close!!!! It won’t bee long now!

If hurricane Florence hits, the fish will be up
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/12 13:41:45 (permalink)
For the sake of homeowners' property flooding, I hope it DOESN'T hit!  I can wait a little longer for chrome.  They're coming regardless once the water temps go dahhn. 

FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/13 00:49:53 (permalink)
Porktown
This was discussed many years ago, Elk Creek lot does not permit overnight sleeping.  At least it did not then.  Like BTDT said, campground is probably best idea, with amenities.  My stream cred is really taking a hit agreeing with this guy as much as I have lately!  Now that we are talking Erie, I can use the stream cred term!  

I am pretty sure Walmarts allow overnight sleeping, as well as interstate rest areas.  Might even find a lot lizard to keep you warm...  Walmart, you may want to contact the specific store to confirm, but think they all allow.  You may want to bring something to drown out the parking lights if you go that option.

Make sure you plan for sleeping in your SUV.  I camped one night steel head fishing, and got into the lower 40s over night.  Not much sleeping in my bag meant for summer camping...  The next day was rough, drive home was torture, and couldn't wait to get to my bed.  Someone noted a while back that they would put straw in their pickup truck, and made for a nice warm bed.  I'd imagine a blow up mattress would be more comfortable and easier cleanup than straw.

Be careful if wanting to drink a few beers too.  They can get you for DUI, not driving.  Not sure of the exact rules, but probably best to avoid the brews if car sleeping.  Would cut down on the need for a rest room as much too...  Obviously, staying at a campground, you would be fine.  There are a few campgrounds with stream access.  You can light a fire and have some sort of entertainment for the few hours between the end of fishing and going to sleep.  That is probably worth the cost of the site alone...

Two hours max at any rest stop in PA.   

https://www.pacode.com/se...ter443/chap443toc.html
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/13 14:19:43 (permalink)
Is the turnpike the same rules? 

Not that it would help with Erie sleeping.  Any time that I am driving really early or late, I see the rest stops and pull offs packed with trucks.

I see no mention of pickle parties!  Ha, ha.
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/16 21:46:54 (permalink)
Slept up there a few times when the bite was on but motels were all booked.

Never had issues @ Elk Creek access or Walnut. But my windows are tinted a little dark. After seeing the game commish busting some people at walnut, I wouldn't try sleeping there again.
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/16 21:46:54 (permalink)
** deleted, double post **
Stillhedbanggr
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/17 15:43:42 (permalink)
I don’t know about past times going on 10+ years but I have never seen a fish commission truck before sun rise at walnut or elk on a Friday or Saturday night. We have tried to call them on a group of netters appx 230 am last fall to no avail. Just recorded plate numbers and gave a description. In my opinion they do not care. But that’s a different topic..LoL.

If you have got a buddy fishing I don’t see why U can’t just snooze in the parking lot. Now I wonder how many more years of turning and burning I have left in me. Haha. If the weathers decent out early in the year see a lot of guys set up a chair and snooze in it on the wall, it looks like they are fishing.

Good luck just remember if your too tired to drive it isn’t worth it. I’d rather pull off and potentially pay a fine than pass out behind the wheel.
I Used to work 16 hour shifts, 7 days a week, passed out stopped at a red light one morning on my way home. Fun stuff.
chartist1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/23 12:19:52 (permalink)
You do realize that spending money is what's driving this whole fishing scheme in Erie.  There's plenty of hotels in Erie that would be happy to take your money.  These days I use AirBNB with very good success.  
Stillhedbanggr
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/24 08:29:41 (permalink)
chartist1
You do realize that spending money is what's driving this whole fishing scheme in Erie.  There's plenty of hotels in Erie that would be happy to take your money.  These days I use AirBNB with very good success.  

Correct, but In some situations people can’t justify spending a night in a hotel to just wake up and leave in the morning. I could care less about the Erie fishing scheme, the money that I do care about (and support) should be going to water access, fish health, and quality. Also taking care of the snaggers, other rule breakers and littering.

Out of towners aren’t very welcome by most locals so why should the “mupheres” or whatever that dumb term that was dubbed care about their local economy if they are just gonna be bitter about everyone coming to fish their streams and jam up their roads.

Jest my two centz.

If your a 1-2 trips a year kinda crew than yea make a long weekend get away out of it, but if your like me who is there to strictly fish and nothing else then turn and burn if it’s reasonable distance.

Personally I can’t take back to back days, after fishing Erie streams 8-10 hours straight in one day I’m either sore from a good day or so disgusted and sick of seeing so many people that I want nothing to do with fishing for a few days.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/24 09:21:15 (permalink)

"MUPPERES" a dumb term.....  I'llllllll just have you know, I represent that remark!!!!

'cept I'm legitally not 'cause I'm already from my little piece of Penn's Woods but if I were to be, I'd head to the tribs which I 'aven't since the one time many... many, many moon ago.  That's when the "muppere's" would arrive in full force 'cause they could 'snag and bag em' but now it's 'rope and smoke em' and yes, they still arrive in full force for reasons wayyyy beyond explanation.  Which matters not to me 'cept it's tight lines and good times for them what partake. 

With that being said, whatever the hell I was trying to said, Good times and tight lines. 

PS. ya might try fishin like my old buddy from Pymie, he feeshes at night using a kerosene lantern and I'm thinkin, he still becomes a muppere, when the fishy's run the tribs.   That's if'n....  the 'eyes' ain't runnin Pymie.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/09/24 09:33:25

Twenty2
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/24 10:01:15 (permalink)
rsquared
Erie_flyfishing

BRad Porter, are you gonna be set up there selling green egg sacks again this year?  

Just take a buddy and take turns driving. Drink some red bull and take a snooze at the local sheetz. PS, I hope the green egg sackz are for sale again this year. I really need to stock up for the dum fezh run. I really plan on using that for my point fly again like I was taught at the stop sign hole
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/24 10:59:43 (permalink)
Don't even bother. There are no feesh this year, the steelhed run iz cancelled. 

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/24 18:50:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby old dog 2018/09/25 08:41:24
Mupheres aren't the reason there no Steelhead! I've seen way more poaching done by locals. Just saying. Same at the Pymy spillway. Local gets his limit,wifey brings him a sandwich and a thermos of coffee and gives him a empty stringer and takes the one with 6 eyes on it. Same sh-t goes on at the tribs at Erie. I've seen a certain nationality net fish out of trout run on numerous occasions. I don't feel bad keeping a half dozen for the smoker.I don't lift,line or net fish. I don't need a fish that bad.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/24 21:15:12 (permalink)
Big Tuna
Mupheres aren't the reason there no Steelhead! I've seen way more poaching done by locals. Just saying. Same at the Pymy spillway. Local gets his limit,wifey brings him a sandwich and a thermos of coffee and gives him a empty stringer and takes the one with 6 eyes on it. Same sh-t goes on at the tribs at Erie. I've seen a certain nationality net fish out of trout run on numerous occasions. I don't feel bad keeping a half dozen for the smoker.I don't lift,line or net fish. I don't need a fish that bad.

But you sure brag about lifting perch off spawning beds
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/24 21:47:25 (permalink)
Is somebody sulking.... hello??

"Lifting" Perch off of spawning beds?

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/24 22:26:23 (permalink)
But you sure brag about lifting perch off spawning beds

Dang psu you’ve really gotten aggressive this season! Someone pee in your cornflakes?

PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: Sleeping in suv before/after steelhead fishing 2018/09/24 22:53:24 (permalink)
I think his breakfast, lunch and dinner gets peed on. It happens a lot in the world of steelhead alley internet stars lol.

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: