Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 37 of 56
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/23 21:53:56 (permalink)
I did a load of stewed tomatoes, onions and peppers for making chilli. will can some corn this week as well as make some sauce. Corn is about half done. Egg plants and cabbage are good. eve. The winter squash look great. Sunflowers are blooming too. I lack the energy to do what I have in past years, but keep chugging. Have to process the turkeys soon as they are eating their weight per month

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/23 21:54:57 (permalink)
My new chickens have started laying too. Eggs are small but plentiful

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3412
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/24 09:40:42 (permalink)
We did a dozen pints of peppers. I like pints better, that way they don't sit in the fridge too long after opening. That brings the total to almost 3 dozen with more coming. Tomatoes were a little weak, but there are more of those coming too.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/24 12:14:27 (permalink)
Nice. We mix it up between quart and pint jars for our sauce. Pints are used for pizza and quarts for pasta ( as larger portions) with whatever is leftover from quart we end up making pizza that week too.
In my counting of total, I just count 2 pints as a quart so my total counting is quarts

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/24 15:07:52 (permalink)
This being our first year canning, we are doing pretty good. We definelty had a great growing season, aside from having to water. Im extending another 6 feet long and 20 or so wide for next year. That'll bring me out to almost 40' x 50'

2 things I got in my blood bad this year... Erie fishing and gardening. Both are determined by the weather and as long as I do it right, We will never starve..🤣🤣🤣.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/24 20:44:24 (permalink)
Well, I can't comment on Erie but heard good times. Someday..
For gardening,
1. Plant oregano. It's perennial and grows well.
2. Plant garlic. Easy to grow in loose soil. Very close spacing and super low maintenance. Plant in FALL, harvest in July.
3. Basil. It's an annual but we use and dehydrate ( also oregano) to get us through a years worth.
These staple herbs all go into our sauces and daily cooking.
We run the dehydrator 3 times a week.

Other good herbs are rosemary which is perennial for chicken and fish.
Chives are perennial for spuds.
Both low maintenance and require little space.

Tonight's dinner was last of nephews sirloin until my cow gets butchered on September 9th
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/08/24 21:42:33

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/25 08:47:43 (permalink)
👍👍 rite on HT. I do have plans for a herb garden, but its gonna be in a separate space over by our deck. Some bone head cracked the composite header board with the zero turn last year. Don't know who that coulda been. 🤣🤣. So I'm gonna put a raised bed area to cover it up. Thanks for the suggestions. We use all of those. Plus I'll do mint and parsley.
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/25 14:40:56 (permalink)
hot tuna
Well, I can't comment on Erie but heard good times. Someday..
For gardening,
1. Plant oregano. It's perennial and grows well.
2. Plant garlic. Easy to grow in loose soil. Very close spacing and super low maintenance. Plant in FALL, harvest in July.
3. Basil. It's an annual but we use and dehydrate ( also oregano) to get us through a years worth.
These staple herbs all go into our sauces and daily cooking.
We run the dehydrator 3 times a week.

Other good herbs are rosemary which is perennial for chicken and fish.
Chives are perennial for spuds.
Both low maintenance and require little space.

Tonight's dinner was last of nephews sirloin until my cow gets butchered on September 9th

HT, if you ever decide you want to try a Lake Erie walleye weekend let me know, you're always welcome!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/25 17:20:46 (permalink)
Thank you for the invitation. Much appreciated. For sure not this year as I'm over my head in work but I would like to get together to share water and stories with y'all.
I have often kept and open invitation for those that wish to explore my waters as well. Ice, ausable river trout and stripers. Your included.
That said, some here have come and we've had a blast . As we know, the shoot hit the fan big time in spring and pulling back that invitation this spring for health and safety concerns may have caused hard feelings but life is more important than a spoiled fishing trip.
2020 has been nothing but a spoiler to me so I march on.
If all goes as planned, by winter we will have a complete functional 2 bedroom guest house here just for friends and family that wish to visit.

Other turn off the news,
Picked 6lbs of jalapeno peppers just now for my son. He makes some sort of relish. To spicy for me but others love it so just paying forward.
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/08/25 17:25:20

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/25 22:20:02 (permalink)
Time for bed.
24 lbs vacuum sealed processed sauce. No time to cann more so we are in freezer mode.
Long hard day but a step forward is always good.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/26 09:36:45 (permalink)
I started some sauce last night. I will only have a few quarts this run , but should have 2 or 3 more small batches. I am cleaning out dad's cellar and will use the older rubber ring latch top jars for pickles next year . To save on lids . I don't think I trust pressure canning with them , but will water bath

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/26 11:23:38 (permalink)
Thyme is a perennial and if you put it in a planter and keep it watered, it will keep coming back every year.  Pork loin with fresh rosemary and thyme.....yum....yum.....
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/26 21:28:46 (permalink)
Grew parsley easily but it out grew our usage. Sage as well. Sage will withstand heavy frosts. I was making popoiri ( no clue as to my phone spelling) mix of parsley and sage for the woodstove kettle.
We don't use much of either. Dill either which is perennial.
For sure going to try thyme. Thanks for the gillz.
Just finishing up chores. Getting dark early now. Like the temperatures today but surely a sign. Prepare to hunker folks..
Dark shot but my basil ( some dehydrating now) and the oregano. Need not big as trimmed keeps best producers.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/28 17:17:34 (permalink)
This morning we donated 4 colanders of tomatoes to Cardinal hall. Friday's seems best as distribution day for them.
These I just picked now and there are probably 4 more I could fill.
We will donate a bunch on Sunday to my wife's church. We plan on making sauce Sunday ( of course) from the 10 gallons of raw ground i froze last week.
I have to cann the sauce as we just don't have the room to seal and freeze sauce with the cow coming.
I will start to take down some of the raised beds these tomato plants were in , even though they are still producing. I need to move most of my garden to the new location and prepare for the garlic planting.
I will have approx, 20 lbs garlic to plant this fall which should be close to 400 plants.
Last year I did 275 .
Next year now with my wife not working and my sisters help, we should be able to have a real roadside fruits and vegetables stand for them to play with. Something I'd enjoy doing in retirement.
We are always asked about selling our produce and meats but I do so sparingly due to the time and effort it takes, most are just given away. Its not for the $$, it's a labor of love and if I can get the extra help, then yes it's a bonus to make folks happy.

Attachment(s)

JM2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1089
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/28 18:07:12 (permalink)
hot tuna

Next year now with my wife not working and my sisters help, we should be able to have a real roadside fruits and vegetables stand for them to play with. Something I'd enjoy doing in retirement.
We are always asked about selling our produce and meats but I do so sparingly due to the time and effort it takes, most are just given away. Its not for the $$, it's a labor of love and if I can get the extra help, then yes it's a bonus to make folks happy.

Here's two farm stands in my area, when I'm in MT. Tough growing season here.  These two have self serve stands set up with an open cash box that you can place your money in, you can also make your own change. There's really not anyone tending the stand other than to bring produce in. One also sells memberships that allows you to fill a shopping bag once a week during the season.

http://www.millcrickfarm.com

http://www.sweetroot.farm/news

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/28 19:42:32 (permalink)
Around here most of the self serve is going fast. Theft of product and worse theft of the money left. If someone needs to eat that's one thing. Wh err n someone takes food of your table that's another

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/29 12:59:17 (permalink)
With 8 more quarts of Hungrian Wax and Infernos done, its time to start giving them away. We are at a stand still right now for tomatoes. Hopefully I can scare up enough quarts. My sister-in-law lives in Carolina. She is gonna buy 3 cases and ship them up here. Hopefully this next week. We got pounded pounded with rain these last couple days. Think I'm actually going to take the sprinkler set up down and put it away.

On a side note, Erie doesn't look any good for this whole next month. Major wind events **** near every week is gonna keep us off the lake. Maybe a few days in October, but we are not getting our hopes up. Might be time to switch gears. Get all my Crappie stuff back in the boat. We will just havta see.
post edited by pensfan1 - 2020/08/29 21:31:11
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/29 19:55:13 (permalink)
🤤 All this talk about sauces, chickens, and beans made me so darned hungry I had to run out and buy a spaghetti squash........

Stab it multiple times.

Throw it in the microwave [4-5 min/lb] split it in half, remove the seeds and shred.

Marinara Chicken with garlic beans and a side of squash.

Would have been twice as yummy if all was home grown.🤗
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/08/29 19:57:28

Attachment(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/29 21:17:49 (permalink)
We grow many sketi squashes. I had them last up to a year in the basement. I like mixing mine 50/50 with pasta. We grow orange ones and yellow ones (they taste the same to me)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/29 22:06:31 (permalink)
Clint there are so many recipes for squash I think I could eat it with every meal, but my most favorite is butter and brown sugar.

Baked squash from the oven is the cat's meow but it's nice on these hot humid days to toss it in the mic for a quick bite,

Lasting for months in a cool basement makes squash a super staple and they belonged right beside my 'kraut' processing.

No longer growing but for me, reading all y'all's post brings back really great memories.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/30 19:08:40 (permalink)
We've honestly never been a squash folk. It does look delicious so I'll have to have the woman make her magic.
Non productive weekend. Other than putting new brake pads on my truck, not much else. My lawn hasn't been mowed in 3 weeks.
My 1 and only neighbor is giving me ulcers and costing me money to fight back what's mine.
Tomatoes are history here now. By choice.
No more garden until October.
Chickens also got moved today and will hit freezer in 5 weeks.
That will put an end to my garden and farm thread for us as we move towards fall.
All my fall planting has failed so the music is over and I got much more projects.

Deer camp next weekend to scout and shout.
Ausable trout last week of September.
If folks wish to kayak/ float the stream and camp at koa, welcome along.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/30 20:10:20 (permalink)
I did 6 jars of sauce and 18 jars of corn. Still have 10 dozen or so ears left to pick. Many egg plants, brussel sprouts, carrots, potatoes, peppers and a few tomatoes left. Dug a few taters fir this weeks supper. Looked good. I am almost out of lids so I hope to can a few jars of carrots at least. We will freeze the sprouts and peppers. 2 Turkey's to butcher, pig goes Thursday and cows In December.
I also moved 2 dozen more strawberries to the new patch. Put a new engine on a rear tire tiller today works good so far. Will plant some spinach, lettuce in the garlic patch before putting that in later. I work much slower but still get stuff done.

fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1664
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/30 20:30:11 (permalink)
HT, take a break you earned it. I did 27 jars of pizza sauce on Friday. Picked the last couple dozen ears of corn today.  Beans finally did something after being pruned back by a groundhog, so I’m sitting here now snapping a gallon bag full. Guess I know what Im doing after work tomorrow evening.  

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/30 20:44:38 (permalink)
Clint it's nice to hear you are moving along. Slowing down and not by choice... sucks. The gooder thing is you are able to keep moving, so you improve everyday.

Todays dinner menu included pork chops, rice and acorn squash filled with brown sugar and butter.

Half the squash, remove the seeds, salt/pepper, table spoon [or three]🤗 butter, and brown sugar to taste. Cover and in the Mic for 5-7 minutes. Hot stuff when removing, test with fork for tenderness. I'm hungry🤤

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/08/31 20:17:01 (permalink)
Yes I need a break. Not sure if lyme is kicking back in but had some blood tests done and I'm very low on vitamin B. Strange as we eat well.
Anyway this is a beautiful sight.
15lbs of seed garlic to plant in October.
Every garlic farmer I'm aware of is sold out of seed for 2020.
If you don't have it , you'll probably not find any.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/09/01 12:18:36 (permalink)
I saved my biggest baddest bulbs for pksnting.

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: The garden thread 2020/09/02 11:23:07 (permalink)
Tried replanting zucchini and lettuce here....never came up.  Will try the lettuce again and spinach.  Other than that, waiting for the last big batch of tomatoes to ripen so I can can....as long as we don't get a frost, should have enough maters for sandwiches, salads and caprese well into October....
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/09/04 20:00:18 (permalink)
Pulled some of my carrots and disappointed. The greens are nice and tall, but the carrots are runty. I will let a few go to seed to harvest seets and pick the rest soon bbn

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/09/05 07:31:53 (permalink)
Saw 16 Turkey with half young ones this am. They were cleaning up the botched smores and roasted corn mess from last night with the nieces LOL

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/09/05 18:44:45 (permalink)
Here are a few pics from today. 9 quarts of carrots and a few left to pick. A few small sunnies on a trip through the state forest on the way to icecream. We also visited a few cemeteries where the last buried were in the 40s

Attachment(s)

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 37 of 56
Jump to: