Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2017/11/28 19:37:09 (permalink)

Gear review

After a 1.5 years of use , from ice fishing which was the intention, to striper , the rapala grip scale gets a thumbs down from me.
I'm looking at more lip grip scissor type strictly for ice.
Sticking your thumb in a Lakers mouth sucks, it's gill plate is sketchy. I'd prefer to lip them outta the hole

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

194 Replies Related Threads

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Gear review 2017/11/29 06:39:16 (permalink)
    The best is the Boga grips, but the Berkley lip grip isn't bad. I've had one for 20 years  and it's done well on pike, blues, and to weigh the very occasional striper. I wade through a whole university of babies in striped pajamas before I get anything decent on the whippy stick. Not so much, you on the Hudson.   New ones look close to the same as my old one. The digital model I'd kinda stay away from. I don't think it would last on the ice. 
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Gear review 2017/11/29 06:43:13 (permalink)
    I guess I just like to guesstimate (on the high side ) so I don't have a scale. I have looked but never had the urge to but. Thanks for the review. p.s. the Auger fell through so back to drilling by hand

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/11/29 06:54:35 (permalink)
    Drats, that sounded like a sweeeet set up, Clint.  I forgot to add, Bogas start at a buck twenty five, the Berkleys less than a third of that! Now you see why I got the Berkley. However, if I fished from a boat with big fish alot, the Boga would work. I've used them plenty on friends boats in the salt and they are slick and durable (and get attached to a lanyard with a  float, due to their golden nature).  Good idea with the Berkley, too, though I doubt you'd kick it down a hole. On second thought - glove operation......   I'd stick it on a forget- me -not- string.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Gear review 2017/11/29 16:36:09 (permalink)
    Rich, If you are looking for an inexpensive solution take a gander at these www.thefishgrip.net.  I picked one up on Ebay a few years ago and they work fine.  If you are looking to weigh your catch Boga grips are the best but pricey.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/11/29 17:17:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feed back.  Gerry that's what I'm thinking for ice. Fish usa has them as well . I had the Rapala digital lip gripper. Probably much like Charlie is talking.. Your quite right, the digital display gets wet and foggy, the wires and circuits were rusted and corroded. The digital worked for 1/2 ice season and about 20 open water fish then it never worked all last year. The product itself became problem some as the tiny self tapping screws into plastic for the frame kept coming loose and internal parts are not very well built. There is a big pan head screw going into a plastic cube that fits in a slot which keeps the entire gripping mechanism together.. pretty cheesy..  At $40.00 it was worth a shot. Not a product I'd recommend to others.
    Weighing is not really necessary really, I'm just looking to get that PHAT Laker or 40" pike outta the 6" hole without it sawing my line or biting my fingers , lol

Now with that said,
    my gripper (which I did put a float onto lanyard ) , great advice C, was slim enough to stick into the 6" hole , open and grip. . Remember , ice gets thick up there . Gerry , do you think the plastic gripper would do that or does its head have to be above the ice ?

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/11/29 21:09:59 (permalink)
    HT, the overall length of the gripper is 8-10 inches.  Considering the cost it's worth a shot for ice fishing as well as on the boat.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/11/30 07:12:53 (permalink)
    I've pulled quite a few pike through the ice with a homemade gaff. I used a 8/0 hook debarbed on a 3/4" hardwood dowel .  You could get a fish 24" down in the hole and pull them out without risking your rod.  
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/11/30 08:12:04 (permalink)
    Yea I had a gaff and used it once. Not a fan and they are illegal to have on lake George.
    Thanks for the info all the way around. I'm gonna try the scissor type and if it don't work for me then I'll get the Berkley one

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/11/30 19:22:16 (permalink)
    I stopped using gaffe too. Unless you are keeping the fish there is too much of a chance with wounding them.  I have had a few bad experiences with them.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/11/30 20:08:50 (permalink)
    A gaff isn't all bad. They actually are less obtrusive to a pike then many ways I've seen but it also requires a good user. I'm not that good either way so I'm looking at a liping tool that will grip and pull.

I really don't have any new gear required for my upcoming adventures this season.
    I used an amaristep doghouse hunting blind this season and liked it well. @ $49.00 I think it's a good product. The 1 I used is 2 seasons old and left in woods from Sept until I'm done hunting. The Windows can be brought down low enough to sit in a camp chair and shoot a crossbow or gun or use Only the small windows for just a gun . Only drawback i found is trying to fold the spring steel back into its bag .
    I'm going to be watching for late season sales. If it's right I'd probably get 3 of them.
    If not I plan on 2 for next season.
    Sitting in a tree is getting cold, old and tiresome at times.

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/02 14:17:34 (permalink)
     Easy enough to close HT, just stand the folded blind up and then press down from the 12 o'clock position and it should double over into a figure 8. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/02 19:02:23 (permalink)
    That it should. In reality with 30 mph winds and snow, let's just say it was a cartoon scene, lol.
    Given that, I'll take the hassle.

New review.
    Knife sharpener. I been a stone and hone guy. Tried some other methods without liking them until this hit my cutting table last week.
    I have old steel and newer stainless knives.
    So far I have put 4 bandaids on my fingers since using.
    Thoughts ? I got 1 today for $7.00

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/02 21:22:22 (permalink)
    Seen those, but never used. For a quick edge when doin alot of fish I use the rapella V thing. For good edges I use my stone

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/04 08:06:09 (permalink)
    I use a similar product to sharpen broadheads but also found it useful for putting a quick edge on knives.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/04 18:37:24 (permalink)
    On a side note the power auger may be back in play for me so maybe I can review that

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/06 17:43:49 (permalink)
    I have two new reviews. Both products I have used for at least a season or year and recommend them..
    First are muck boots.
    I have the chore boots and have worn them through mud season and hunting where I cover a lot of walking.
    I was apprehensive about walking and chafing but neither was an issue. These will be tested on the ice this season as well.
    I did get cold toes a few times while sitting but easily remedying with heat packs or better insulating socks with layer protection.
    As for the boot itself, I'm sold and my pack boots just sit idle.

Second are ice cleats.
    I've done a bunch in the past that would fall apart from the get go or cost a bunch of money to only break sooner than later anyway.
    These Yuedge chain/spikes have worked very well for me in some heavy use with very good traction. I have used them 1.5 seasons so far and they still are in great shape.
    My cost 2 years ago was $11.00 to the door.
    I have the 10 points model, I see the 12pt are $18.00 to the door today.
    The 10pt have been great to me and i will probably get the 12pt as a spare just in case they are no longer available.
    I'm not saying these are River cleats but they are great ice cleats , even around the house work.
    While I looked, I can't find what size mine are , I wear a size 10 boot .

Update.
    I actually just found these Yuedge 18pt cleats to the door for $14.99 If you don't mind Orange color. I prefer it so I can find and just ordered 2 pair. 1 will be a gift
    post edited by hot tuna - 2017/12/06 17:57:55

Attachment(s)

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/06 19:47:09 (permalink)
     2 things I am in the market for thanks HT. Been debating the Muck boots for a while.....

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/06 20:21:36 (permalink)
    Just a note. Mine are actual Muck brand and a composite toe. Our work place requires toe protection. Many people at work wear them daily as work boots in the winter and that's how I got turned on to them.
    I been using them as daily chore , hunting and earns boots. Again im a fan since owning them this spring. They are comfortable and durable

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/06 21:48:09 (permalink)
    I can add my $.02 to the 'muck boot' positive reviews... I found some on sale the first time so decided to give them a try...when I eventually wear these out I will gladly pay full price for the next pair.  I did get 2 pair for ErieMako and he also wears them as daily chore shoes and has no complaints after over a year of wear. 
    The ones I got are the lower style, basically a slip on work shoe, but they have been comfortable, tough and actually a lot warmer than I expected 'rubber boot' type footwear to be.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/08 20:56:50 (permalink)
    As l gather my gear together, next review will be gloves. Winter ice and chores.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/08 20:58:50 (permalink)
    Look up the ones on the left.
    Polar penguin 😉
    These are issued by me in an industrial environment and very warm and durable.
    Personally, I'd own at least 2 pair, for the cost and the one on the right as a small purpose use if you wanted. The gloves are unbelievably sweet
    post edited by hot tuna - 2017/12/08 21:08:16

Attachment(s)

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/09 08:32:44 (permalink)
    I got a few things from Gander before it closed and will post up on those when I use them on the ice.  Thanks HT I like this thread

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/09 09:45:10 (permalink)
    Cool, looking forward to them.
    The penguin gloves are insulated and the palm side is rubberized with a heavy duty coating. They are great for grip and VERY durable as we use them as work gloves.
    I have used these for 3 years , hunting and ice fishing. I'd recommend getting a few pairs as I do get them wet at times. They dry out pretty quickly but at the price, having a spare is no big deal.

The mittens are ok for easier on and off setting tip ups but that's about all I use them for. Not really worth the cost imo.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/11 18:14:56 (permalink)
    Got the New Yuedge cleats today. Ordered a large and XL. My mucks are size 10. The large fit but could be a struggle in cold weather. Mine will stay attached for the most part. I got the XL for my son with a size 13. They look bigger and hope they fit but won't know yet.
    I'm guessing my other pair are XL and that's my suggestion for winter boots size 10 and above

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/28 10:07:29 (permalink)
    I got a pair WETSOX wader socks for Christmas and although I have not used them in my waders I can say paired with my new Muck tall chore boots my feet were sweating at -7 degrees this morning. I will post more when I use them in the waders. 
    https://www.wetsox.com/products/8-camo-wader-sox
    I also got a lithium ion cordless fillet knife that I will review when used

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/30 12:57:35 (permalink)
    Can't wait for the knife review. I'm looking for a cordless replacement of my American angler. It served(s) well but needs a cord

Muck boots:
    You bring up a great point, my feet sweat as well and there is no place for moisture to disperse in the foot part very well.
    I'd suggest a odor insert, inner sock liner and once you set up, change your regular socks to your wool or waders socks if stationary.
    I was out on ice in-22 with wind on Thursday and did not have to use heat packs in my boot. I didn't change my socks while deer hunting and it was better this time by far.

New review:
    I know there are many balaclava on the market and have tried super expensive $80.00) ones to crappy cheap ones.
    Mine is 3 years old now and been given everything the weather has . It's a standard for our workers who endure day and night outdoors. They are a very good product at about $10.00
    Mine is called in ferno

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/30 18:42:06 (permalink)
    Worth the $7.00 from fish USA.
    I had a hand forged made for many years until it got " missing " on the ice. Been through a few crappy ones since. This is my second replacement of a good bought ice scooper.

My second nills replacement head arrived today. 8 years out of the original. They are pricey to replace. I can say money well spent on the original .
    Given that, I am leaning towards a secondary auger with easier cost replacement blades. The auger people got the design down from the nills of screw , don t push. Their blades are disposable and much cheaper.
    I'm looking at a fin bore near end of season

Attachment(s)

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/30 19:06:20 (permalink)
    True I was thinking of a new head for mine but since several places in town have them for close to internet price I will let them hold it for me. . Was going to send mine to get sharpened but between shipping both ways and 20$ its cloas to a new one.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gear review 2017/12/30 19:42:26 (permalink)
    1 thing through experience I would not recommend is a big heavy flip over. I took my shappell 1.5 out yesterday instead of the rover or 1.0.
    The thing is a bear to handle, loading, dragging and heating.
    I've had it for 5 years and can say it sits in the house more then the ice. It weighs 70 lbs empty.
    My 1.0 is 34 lbs . Huge difference.
    If I'm doing a shanty town set up it is my pop up shelters with single flip over to scout.
    Unless your using a machine, avoid anything heavy

Here is a size comparison.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2017/12/30 19:45:15

Attachment(s)

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
    Jump to: