Helpful ReplyHot!fun stuff

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 34
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: fun stuff 2020/06/29 14:02:27 (permalink)
Plan worked perfectly. Got up early to hit low tide. 9am till 12pm and got my quota.
Beat feet before the thunder and lightning rolled in. 1hr of heavy stuff at camp and blowing off now but I think more is coming.
If I can pull this off three more days, we'll have a heck of hootenanny party when we return.
Life is good .
Peace and tuna.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: fun stuff 2020/06/29 15:37:27 (permalink)
When does the party start Rich? 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/06/29 16:13:33 (permalink)
Jack. Things drastically changed at my homestead. I now have an empty 3 bedroom house on property.
The hootenanny is Sunday. With half chickens, clams, lobster, pork, open pool , hopefully fresh corn and live music.
All we need is the hot weather to return and no rain.

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3103
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/01 08:26:27 (permalink)
This clamming deal sounds fun. I've always wanted to get up to Maine for a vacation, might have to swing through RI too.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/01 10:55:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby psu_fish 2020/07/01 15:00:00
psu_fish
This clamming deal sounds fun. I've always wanted to get up to Maine for a vacation, might have to swing through RI too.

$14.00 for a 2 week tourist clamming license. Residents are free.
We enjoy clamming and the bounty of the harvest. Normally 2 of us clam together but with my sister's disability it's just me.
There is an easy access salt pond called quonny pond ( for short) at the charlestown breachway with tons of parking. It does get very busy though on weekends.
We watched folks fishing from shore catching haddock, fluke, stripers and blues in the deeper breach side.
The clamming bay side is fairly shallow at high tide ( about 3 feet) and its best and easier at low tide ( about ankle deep).
The bay is huge and lots of room for many people.
Many just dig with their feet ( its not real mucky) in the softer sand but I use a $12.00 ocean state job lot rake to dig with. Long thin tines. Forget using a actual clam rake, they are brutal and heavy.
I usually get on my knees and dig in a circle then knee crawl in quadrants. Its much easier on the back then bending over.
Your knees might take a beating from the sand so some cheap ace knee braces might be helpful.
This is my 3 day solo harvest from about 2 hrs a day. There are a lot of islands to hang out on in the bay. Having an inflatable raft to put gear and chairs etc helps if you want to make a day of it.
Also I'd suggest going before July 4th as the clamming gets harder due to amount harvested and they also go deeper as water warms. Right now the water is in low 70's at low tide
Good luck
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/07/01 10:57:09

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/01 17:06:12 (permalink)
We did well today in limited time and before the storm rolled in.
Dragged my sister out 100 yards in kayak. Family day clamming. Grandkids are freaky about crabs and salt species, we don't mind.
Started to relocate clams to larger cooler, about a bushel so far.
No idea what a bushel costs but these clams are priceless.
Just some random shots of the bay.
Tomorrow is heavy ocean surf and lobster day.
Fun stuff.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/02 09:24:16 (permalink)
If there was such a place I could spend retirement, it be Rhode island.
This state is so laid back and the bounty of the sea is pretty sweet.
While I've been lots of places in the USA, spending spring and summer here would have to be tops. I obviously couldn't do without our NY hunting and ice fishing so a little get away close enough to home would be nice.

Today is the day, no rain only blue sky.
Wife and kids are going to the ocean while i resort back to the bay to continue the pillage of clams. I'll meet up with them at the boat docks around 4pm to see what lobsters we can buy.
Life is good, get out and enjoy it while we can.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/02 20:31:17 (permalink)
It got real today. Wife and family hit the ocean surf. I hit the harvest grounds. Everyone had a blast. Even my sis lying in the sand.
Clams secured, lobsters secured, 1/2 chickens secured, live music secured. Gonna be a hoedown on the compound when we get home.
Already can't wait to come back for more.
Sorry for the crappy screen shot

Attachment(s)

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/03 07:56:39 (permalink)
I didn't get to  South County this spring for the first time in many years. We usually go in Oct., too. One year in the fall there was a run of albies up  Charlestown that exploded right  in front of the launch.  They make steelhead look as fast as a three legged dachsund.  Dumb luck, I've waited whole days on the breachways waiting for shots to no avail, then you get them 20' in front of you.  I've fished Quonny pond during the worm hatches on the full moons in May. Pretty cool phenomena. The worm flies work in the SR as a bonus. 
   As someone who got married on a beach and had their wedding reception in a clam shack,  I  can relate.  I still like Cape Ann overall. I've gone into triple digits with stripers, but only 4 fish in the 28-35 slot so far.  Day trips saved the season.  At least I have a vision for the rest of my days-  The best stripe I've gotten so far  hit a popper called a gurgler by launching from 3 feet away and exploding down on it like a tuna.  I've tied up more foam creations this year than usual. Fun stuff, indeed.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/03 08:24:15 (permalink)
Great pics HT, beautiful fun filled smiles. Just don't get better than that.

Also catching my eye, retiring to Rhoad Island for the summer??

Mind 'spotburning' a few suggestions. I got an urge to get on the road again and I'm lookin for a place, to light for a few months next summer.

While I'm not into clams, some mighty fine people around my way got me hooked on surf fishing and I still maintain a few fresh water rigs too.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/07/03 08:27:34

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/03 12:02:56 (permalink)
20 lobsters secured for this weekend hootenanny. Today is going to be a chill one .My stupid phone is giving me fits , probably salt air.
Btdt:
While we been using state campgrounds, this private one was reccomend to me from someone that stays here . No tent sites. 80% seasonal and its huge and friendly people. Location is 15 minutes to quonny bay north, 15 minutes to galilee ( commercial fishers) . There is great fishing all around here . I really haven't explored that. Hopefully if I become seasonal, it will pop with a bang.
I'm about harvesting foods so that would be the driving force.
Anyway, the campground is called worden pond family campground. Do a Google search. I believe seasonal are 3 to 3,500k.
Which when we figure towing and expenses for just 1 week here, it kinda crazy not to come whenever and however long we want
It's open may 1 till October 15th

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/03 12:26:02 (permalink)
PS.
There is a giant freshwater pond ( worden pond) here with both private and public access.
I'm told the pike , bass and panfishing is fantastic. They also get a big run of river herring, no idea where they originate from.
We been swimming there everyday

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/03 14:19:08 (permalink)
HT thank you so very much. I'll definitely check out the campgrounds. I use a program called "RV Trip Wizard" for planning our travels and all I need do is plug the name and location in and all my stops are pinpointed.

If full hookup is provided and the sights don't become mudholes in the rain, $3500.00 for a season ain't bad, even if the electric is metered.

I appreciate the fresh water info also.

I said earlier, I'm not much of fan of clams, New England lobster however, is a different topic. [drool]

Being from Baltimore where clam chowder and oyster stew (both tasted the same to me..ick) was a norm for my family but I just don't go near them things. Funny, our children born & raised in NW PA, love the oyster bars.

Keep the stories coming along with the pictures, I got the better half convinced, which direction and where we will be heading next spring.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/03 14:43:03 (permalink)
We spoke with owner today. I wanted to just leave camper here now. Unfortunately not available but I've already got a site for 2021.
Hook up is no metered electricity, and water.
Sewer is the honey wagon for $10.00 or your own cart with waste out area. Run a hose on trickle for grey water.
It's not muddy here at all because its sandy.
Very, very low key campgrounds.
Neighbor just said I should definitely fish the pond if I'm a harvest fisher. Most people are recreational fishers there, c&r
A small boat would put you anywhere from salt to fresh water. I've talked with all kinds of guides and commercial people who been very kind .

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/03 17:03:14 (permalink)
Those lobsters look great,too bad I can't get there but maybe some other time.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/03 17:28:54 (permalink)
Getting in and out of those Breachways in small craft is DANGEROUS.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/03 18:43:14 (permalink)
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/07/03 19:56:40

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/03 18:53:28 (permalink)
HT congrats on your purchase. No metered electric and no mud sounds great. Is the honeywagon the only source for sewage or do you know if there is a dump station when a guy moves on? ummm, no pun intended. lol

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/03 19:58:27 (permalink)
There is 2 dump stations. You can self serve in tow or have a caddy wagon to bring to station

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/03 21:51:05 (permalink)
HT sounds great. I did a Google fly over of the camground then zoomed in for a closer look. Nice. 👍 I appreciate your help.

We are expecting a new arrival in mid to late August 🤞🏼and, pending long term weather forecast, hope to break it in with a ride to Glacier National Park then see the Giant Sequoia Forest. If not, we're thinking an Autumn ride to New England.

Worden Pond Family Camground is on our trip planner.

Thank you again. 🍻

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/05 17:38:17 (permalink)
Since getting home yesterday. We polished off 20 lobsters , 500 clams.
Having family and friends together are priceless.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/16 11:30:28 (permalink)
Well- if ya are feeling down and ready to hear good news its fast approaching---
Very soon there will be early reports of King ,scouts, entering the river- some will make it out to be the beginning of something really special and BIG.
Truth is most will quickly go belly up with warm waters but the kids at the Needle with lawn chairs and wearing shorts will be there no matter.
Had some - not so productive- great low walks in early August with these reports, usually casting away to no avail other than mental health, and listening to the live music from the Pulaski green.
They will report HUGE schools on the East end chomping for cooler waters and likely HUGE Salmon all ready to come in fast.
Its all what ya will make it and not whats on your lines or ropes.
Its really a nice time to be on the water without having to worry about getting all tired from catching those darned over reported fishes.
Have FUN.
I miss my place up there that so easily facilitated so many early and late trips and serene lonely fishing adventures- not to mention August water snakes.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/07/16 11:34:19
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/16 21:08:56 (permalink)
Rg, yes I remember the fun times. I'd take up a months residency with Ron at Victorian house and the salmon sports or the sportsman lodge ( bob howe) geesh, names are escaping me as I grow older. Memories still live .
I'm really doubting another season. Covid would be the scale tipping but time isn't on my side, again. From what I can count, it be year 3 since I've seen a salmon

My Hope's are towards steelhead. Missed 2 seasons so far.
With any luck or bright future. The fish also got a break to produce for the future
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/07/16 21:18:25

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/18 14:48:25 (permalink)
I have n't made any plans for the SR this year but I am now thinking about it.Wonder what the scoop is on this **** virus up there?
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/18 15:55:22 (permalink)
Do you really wanna sleep in a bed where so many you dont know have slept before with this disease around ??
Camping is the only other reasonable alternative.
Used to be a Scoutmaster and loved camping -butt my ground sleeping days are over.
Besides the outhouses and showers have the same questions for me as the communal beds. lol,
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/07/18 18:32:08
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/18 18:07:42 (permalink)
r3g3.that is a concern that I have.I'll have to ask what measures are being done at the motel.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/18 18:33:17 (permalink)
They will all tell ya how very perfectly they disinfect between customers - YEA--
Wont bet my life on it.
At 73 this year with -issues- chance taking is NOT a great idea   lol,
Used to do the occasional 300 mile each way one day suicide trip - no more of that either.

Disclaimer--- really think I already had it last Feb while on a cruise. Then took about a month of many meds both on board and  back  home to get normal.
Have never been so sick in my life - and I get sick now and again with lung issues- this was scarey BAD.
No test back  then and havent gone for one  to see if I have the antibodies indicating prior exposure..
Still living like a hermit --

Test could be a game changer.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/07/18 20:52:36
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/18 22:44:20 (permalink)
Not sure I'll get an opportunity to fish the SR this year. I'd really like to see old friends again. I have options on places to stay but I'd be skeptical about many. Not due to their faults, I'd just be nervous about things.

Today was kinda a fun day though. We visited my son who lives on top a mountain near lake George. The plan was to help him build a 16×16 deck out his back door. Late start as I had morning chores and getting my wife and sister moving out the door is a chore in itself. 1.5 hr drive we got there 11am. As said above, mountains mean boulders. Trying to dig footings was an adventure. The deck was asymmetrical so that added to things.
It was fun though, drank beer, sweated 5lbs , ate good food and at 8pm, it was all framed out with 1/2 deck boards on.
Tomorrow is work detail here but I'll have fun in the pool to cool. I missed that today.
Stay cool folks and have fun whatever it means..

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/19 21:46:33 (permalink)
My boys on right taken 2 years ago.
Me on left 15 years ago

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/07/25 14:00:27 (permalink)
I just got a flashback of some really fun stuff throughout my life finding more pictures of memories.
Pictures are awesome and that's why I try to take as many as possible these days. Pretty much every picture I've shared with everyone thought my 15 years on this site are all backed up on files and many have been framed.
Well, I was born a heck raiser. My parents spoiled me to pieces, especially having 2 other disabled children born after me and 1 passing away at age 8. Believe me they gave unconditional love and support to all their family .
Since I can remember I rode horses, even in parades. We owned 7 horses. I learned the art of horsepower very early. That translated into mini bikes, motorcycles, lot cars and eventually at age 14 I was racing stock cars on oval dirt track. You could drive street stocks at age 14 and modifies at 16, I did exactly that.
In 3 years of street stocks, I have won many events. Basically trophies and $500.00 points money at end of season. It was a blast having my dad right along side.
So these are just some pictures of my various street stock cars. I was a MOPAR FAN, except their unibody design stunk.
Finally we drove into modifies for 2 years. While it paid actual money, the costs overran the expense by FAR, besides I was close to getting married at that point. Yeah I've been married for 36 years now. So racing was over.
Other pictures are from a very rich friend I had at age 18. He had 2 Ferrari's , 2 Porsche and a Ford bronco with an endless spending account. Believe me, we spent PLENTY and had some unforgettable experiences doing so.
The black and white are of me at 3 years old and my dad bringing home the food.

Sorry if I bored you all. But it was fun for me.
Peace and tuna
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/07/25 14:04:27

Attachment(s)

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 34
Jump to: