FISHING THE BAY

Author
Chasing Tale 165
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points: 0
2017/02/25 20:05:32 (permalink)

FISHING THE BAY

I want to go up and fish the bay this spring I have a 16.6 ft alumacraft escape with a 20 hp wants your thought about it being big enough iam thinking as long as it not overwelling windy i b ok  do i need to have flares on board and or any speical regs for the boat for the  bay and want launch would b good thanks

11 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: FISHING THE BAY 2017/02/25 20:52:07 (permalink)
    Chasing Tale 165
    I want to go up and fish the bay this spring I have a 16.6 ft alumacraft escape with a 20 hp wants your thought about it being big enough iam thinking as long as it not overwelling windy i b ok  do i need to have flares on board and or any speical regs for the boat for the  bay and want launch would b good thanks

Got the same idea going and I'm just now reviewing the signal thingy.  Orion Handheld Flares Daytime/Nighttime meet the requirements for distress signals but I'm thinkin of a daytime signal flag also.  Just checkin FishUSA to see what they might have.

Update:  Forget the FishUSA idea, I can't find anything related to distress signals..... hello Walmart.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/02/25 21:19:46

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: FISHING THE BAY 2017/02/26 01:48:36 (permalink)
    Flare gun,fire extinguisher B class, coach whistle,life jackets,throw cushion. You should be good Your boats 16' or better,you don't have the wear life jackets while fishing under 16" you do. The bay is relatively safe for small craft boating of course common sense comes into play. Early season Panfishing is normally done at the head of the bay,S,SW, W winds are favorable but not necessary. I've seen the bay plenty rough,but light winds even up to 10-12 mph are very doable even in 12-14" car top boats. I fished for years out of a 14" car top aluminium boat,that I'd drag from the first parking lot, fish are very close from there. As to putting in I suggest Niagara launch for a boat of 16'. I'll be there Monday,it's going to be winter again but the bite was to good pass up. I hope there still biting but the weather might change things,that's why it's called fishing not catching.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: FISHING THE BAY 2017/02/26 09:49:04 (permalink)
    Flares have dates on them and the PFBC does check the date on them. I have seen them for sale in stores with very little time left. Mine are out of date and I chuck them under seat in truck for emergencies as they still work.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: FISHING THE BAY 2017/02/26 11:17:14 (permalink)
    Most ordered sum smoke flares via internet till I saw a few reviews saying they got flares with less than 50% life expectancy remaining. Said nopey to that idea. Prices varied widely also.

Look like the next trip to WallyMart I'll be checking date stamps on the flares.

As for botor moating between sunup and sundown (correct me if I am wrong) a distress flag is all that's required. Also a "marine radio" is no longer needed? I might just got me one of those handheld just incase some important spotburn info becomes available.

Big Tuna it is not likely I'll be heading to the big pond this week but sure will be in the near future. I'll let you know when I plan on going so you will know what day you may want to stay home. Otherwise, you can by the beer......10-4?😆

Thanks again for your help.

Treesparrow likewise, thankyou for the headsuup on the date stamp.

I'd likely save mine for firestarters in the man cave. The orange smoke coming from the chimney should keep my Amish neighbors at bay. 😏

PS. You can buy the beer too.😊
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/02/26 11:22:46

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: FISHING THE BAY 2017/02/26 12:24:15 (permalink)
    The Bay use to follow normal inland lake boating rules,  I think you don't need updated flares there. The lake is another story on regulations you must have newly dated flares and maybe other safety gear. Both areas are slightly different on rules check your book. Most flares come in 3 year expirations dates make sure you look so you don't loose out on a year or two.

Fished the bay for years in a 16' with a 10 HP motor no issues. Beware strong South winds usually kick the Bay up but the main lake will be smooth along shore. Like Big T said use common sense the Bay is shallow, but the main channel is 40 ft. deep or more.

I like to save the old outdated flares in the boat along with the newer ones. When I get checked by the law I hand them the outdated ones first just to watch their eyes light up thinking they got me !  ....lol    
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: FISHING THE BAY 2017/02/26 13:06:16 (permalink)
    GeeeWhiz Captain I thought I was doing really good when I found what, is now required but now yinz tell me I gotta know where and when?

So I now need be looking for ifs, and, or, butts?

Great now I do need a beer, thank you very much..... you buying?😏

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: FISHING THE BAY 2017/02/26 16:10:54 (permalink)
    I believe this is the way it goes under 16" no flare gun, and  but you have to wear life jackets while fishing till April 30. 16" or over flare guns and update flares you don't have to wear life jackets. I believe all you need is a  coach whistle. 16" up a class B fire extinguisher. Of course life jackets and a throw cushion. Same laws a boating on inland waters. Fishing for Panfish in the shallow water your basically 300-400 yards or less from shore. Last week we had 6-8 mph winds from the south,we had a 3" or 4" chop to flat at times. The bay is about the same as fishing Pymy I only saw 3' footers one time fishing for small mouth near the channel leading to the lake. Remember it very well had a 5 am cup of coffee and a snicker bar. They certainly have more peanuts than I thought. lol My first sea sickness experience. lol  We where anchored and that up and down motion was not fun. Hung in there till I emptied the contents and bang the hell out of them brown bass. 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: FISHING THE BAY 2017/02/26 23:39:33 (permalink)
    With the exception of the VisualDistressSignals for Lake Erie all other requirements are the same for PA waters.  As for the VDS exceptions in Presque Isle Bay I guess the following could be considered just that; if the Bay is less than two miles wide and/or, your craft is less than 16 feet.

According to U.S. Coast Guard navigation rules/emergency preparedness, boat operators are required to render assistance to a boat in distress to the extent they are able. When operating on federally controlled waters, boaters must carry VDS devices. This includes vessels navigating on federal waters such as coastal waters, the Great Lakes (including Lake Erie), territorial seas and bodies of water connected directly to any of these up to the point where the body of water is less than two miles wide. In Pennsylvania, VDS devices are required only for boats operating on Lake Erie. Between the hours of sunset and sunrise, boats less than 16 feet in length must carry VDS suitable for use at night. Boats 16 feet and over in length must, at all times, carry devices suitable for day use and devices suitable for night use or devices suitable for use both day and night. Approved day-use-only devices include orange smoke (hand-held or floating) and orange signal flags. Flares are approved for both day and night use. If flares are selected, a minimum of three must be carried. Three day/night signaling devices meet both requirements. All VDS must be USCG approved, have legible approval numbers, be in serviceable condition and be readily accessible. VDS are not acceptable if the expiration date has passed.

VHF RADIO AVHF (very high frequency) radio is used to communicate with other boaters,the CoastGuard, commercial vessels, draw bridge tenders and lock operators.  VHAF is not required to be U.S. Coast Guard approved. Recreational boaters are notrequired to carryVHF radios, butthey are highly recommended on larger waters, such as Lake Erie. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulatestheir use. Recreational boatslessthan 20 metersin length are NOT required to have a station license to operate a VHF radio unlessthey travel to foreign ports or transmit to foreign stations. Use of aVHF radio is enforced by the U.S. Coast Guard. There are many channels on theVHF, but recreational boaters are given accessto only a few.

SOUND-PRODUCING DEVICES Motorboats less than 65 feet in length must carry some mechanical means of making a sound signal. This device may be hand-, mouth- or power-operated. An athletic coach’s whistle is an acceptable device for small motorboats. Operators of unpowered boats (canoes, kayaks, rowboats, paddleboards) are required to carry a device capable of sounding a prolonged blast for 4-6 seconds that can be heard by another boat operator in time to avoid a collision. An athletic coach’s whistle is acceptable.

Motorboats 26 feet or more in length are required to carry Coast Guard-approved hand portable fire extinguishers. Motorboats less than 26 feet in length, powered by an outboard motor and not carrying passengers for hire are not required to carry fire extinguishers unless they have one or more of the following conditions: • Closed compartments under seats where portable fuel tanks may be stored. • Double bottoms not sealed to the hull or not completely filled with flotation material. Note: Open boats such as jonboats where an after-market solid wood or metal floor is installed and is not completely sealed to the hull are not required to carry a fire extinguisher. • Closed living spaces. • Closed storage compartments in which flammable materials are stowed. • Permanently installed fuel tanks.

Life Jacket AND THROWABLE DEVICE Requirements: • All boats must have a USCG-approved wearable life jacket on board for each person. • Life jackets must be the appropriate size for the person intended. Check the life jacket label to ensure it’s the appropriate size for the person wearing it. Also, make sure the jacket fits. See page 10 to learn how to check for proper fit. • Life jackets must be appropriate for the activity for which they are worn. See the USCG approval label for information. • Wearable life jackets must be “readily accessible.” This means they should be stowed where they can be easily reached or in the open, ready for wear. Throwable devices must be “immediately available,” which means that the life jacket shall be within arm’s reach of the operator or passenger while the boat is operated. A life jacket that is sealed in its original packaging is not readily accessible or immediately available. • All life jackets must be in good and serviceable condition and legibly marked showing the USCG approval number. This means the life jacket must be functional, free of tears or defects in the material, and all buckles, straps, zippers and other closures must be operable. • In addition to wearable life jackets, boats 16 feet and over must have a throwable device (ring buoy, life ring or buoyant seat cushion) on board. Canoes and kayaks, regardless of length, are not required to carry a throwable device. • A throwable device may not be used as a substitute for a wearable device.

I don't know if this information will be of help to anybody butt  after looking at the regs.............I need a beer!

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/02/26 23:41:02

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: FISHING THE BAY 2017/02/27 22:24:53 (permalink)
    Another ridiculous day on the bay. Maybe not as many over all perch but way bigger. Some monsters pushing 2 lbs.  My 30 fish  filled a five gallon bucket 3/4 full. Just for sheets and giggles we fished about a half hour way back in 5 fow,it it was also ridiculous,cast and crank,big gills,big pumpkin seeds,and 8-9".perch on every cast,and I mean every cast. I kept about a dozen or so big gills for my dinner tomorrow. It would not have taken 2 hour to get a two man limit of gills but enough is enough. I can't wait to hit it again but the weather looks bad. My buddy did well fishing off Dobbins  landing,bottom fishing with minnows. Minnows and jigs again where the ticket but spiki plastics caught some toads.
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2017/02/28 09:20:30
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4009
    Re: FISHING THE BAY 2017/02/28 11:56:25 (permalink)
    Big T, 
    Did you try any gulp 1" or 2" minnows?  They have usually worked on crappies for me and may be a nice alternative to bait up on the bay if you could get them going....

Sounds like you had a good time...
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: FISHING THE BAY 2017/02/28 16:23:09 (permalink)
    Eyes I tried them the last time,it was a no go. Minnows and a ice jig or ice jig and a spiking plastic made by Clam. Gills hit a ice jig and waxies. I'd be willing to bet they hit a lot of things. I talk to guys at Poor Richards and everyone fished with something different. Split tails on a jig,smallest Cast masters with maggots under a bobber,minnows,grubs. You name it and it work,just to many hungry fish. For 50 plus years day in day out minnows put the biggest fish in my bucket. Not just any minnow,got to be Emerald shiners.
    Jump to: