Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
tribster
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 188
  • Reward points: 0
2017/01/08 17:20:36 (permalink)

FISH FOOD THREAD

With many of you on this site that enjoy and love the Steelhead fishery as much as I do----  Lets find a way together to help feed and raise our Steelhead by donations etc.... and bring it back to the way it used to be.  How can we contribute?

Lets do something about the problems. 

FISH ON,
Brian
Moses Guthrie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/08 18:32:52 (permalink)
Put them in B rad's secret hole.
post edited by Moses Guthrie - 2017/01/08 19:05:11
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/08 18:37:57 (permalink)
Brain, do you know if hatcheries are currently  under utilized?
Do you know of  any hatcheries not in use where fish can be raised?

..L.T.A
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/08 18:52:04 (permalink)
brian31969

Lets do something about the problems. 

lets explore that in a calculated way

1.)  define the problems
2.) Identify/list  the  causes of the problems
3.) how/where  can volunteers help  to remedy

..L.T.A.

Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/08 18:57:50 (permalink)
I thought this was gonna be a fish takos thread with pics.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/08 20:19:21 (permalink)
It can be.....

Not sure dumping more fish into a decling fishery would be a good idea until you can figure out why the returns are lower.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/08 21:25:50 (permalink)
I'm getting hungry now !    Agree on your statement .....where they at ???? 
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/08 21:51:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2017/01/09 19:00:23
nerka
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 127
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/08 22:35:19 (permalink)
keep and kill every walleye
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/08 23:10:37 (permalink)
bingsbaits
It can be.....  Not sure dumping more fish into a decling fishery would be a good idea until you can figure out why the returns are lower. 

I like light pink fish takos. Purple is to dark for me too much strong funky taste

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
ShenangoEyes
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 08:45:21 (permalink)
nerka

they already do that! sorry, yinz ain't winnin that battle.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 09:32:57 (permalink)
nerka

Sockfish trollers already kill everything they catch either by decompressing them to fast for Percids or gill gripping lol. And I'm sure as he!! not going to waste my time fishing for socks when there's Lakers, Drum, and White Bass to be caught!

We don't need more fish, we need less people, which is going to happen soon as long as returns stay low. I never fished back in the glory days but if you want to stand in front of 100 stocked Rainbows in a hole then go to a hatchery. There's no way that many fish in Erie ditches can be good for the water quality or the forage populations that all the fish in the creeks have to rely on. I prefer the normal Trout experience with a healthy number of fish (1-10) in a hole and not a dozen guys around them. Yinz laugh but that's the future of Steelbows in PA.
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 12:20:10 (permalink)
Easy way to start helping the cause and lower the amount of people fishing -

September 1 to October 18, lower limit to 1 fish per day, must be 20 inches long. After October 18, increase to 2 fish per day and keep the same size limit.

nerka
Avid Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 12:21:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CAPTAIN HOOK 2017/01/09 14:10:24
glory days of elk circa early 2000s
post edited by nerka - 2017/01/09 12:23:24

Attached Image(s)

solitario lupo
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 13:11:21 (permalink)
IMO stop the invasive trout stocking and put the money in the native fish. If anything donate to the musky stockings. Heck y isn't there a sturgeon stocking program.
post edited by solitario lupo - 2017/01/09 13:12:30
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 13:21:46 (permalink)
solitario lupo
IMO stop the invasive trout stocking and put the money in the native fish. If anything donate to the musky stockings. Heck y isn't there a sturgeon stocking program.

Sturgeon are beast to catch. Whole pelletheads are the best bait...

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 13:22:03 (permalink)
H3Fisher
Easy way to start helping the cause and lower the amount of people fishing - September 1 to October 18, lower limit to 1 fish per day, must be 20 inches long. After October 18, increase to 2 fish per day and keep the same size limit. 

I agree with this. Also, the limit doesn't need to be 5 fish during the summer! Not many people troll to keep Steelhead but a few charters do and taking 5 per person per day in the OW is rediculous. I troll for them in the summer when Laker fishing is slow but I release all of those nasty tasting troot too, plus I rarely catch five Steelbows a day lol. Char are where it's at!
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 13:25:35 (permalink)
solitario lupo

I'd be in favor of this idea if it ever gains enough support. I just fish for Steelhead because they're here, but wouldnt cry if a non-native disappeared one day, and the CROWDS along with them. Put more money towards other Erie fish such as Lakers, Brookies, Pike/Musky, STURGEON, Burbot, habitat improvement, etc.. Man, I'd love a sturgeon run on lower Elk, or even drifting for them out in the lake. Now there's a fighter!
post edited by Divemaster - 2017/01/09 13:26:41
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 14:09:09 (permalink)
Careful what you wish for. Stopping Lake Erie Trout stockings means Trout Stamps sales way down, so less money in Fish Commission coffers. (cuts , cuts $$) Where is money going to come from to support Lakers, Burbot , Sturgeon stockings ? Remember about 50% or more of people who fish Lake Erie don't own boats they charter or shoreline fish. Once money (people) leave the shores your boating costs will rise, or maybe all those people on shore will buy boats and join in with you since there are no fish in the creeks !  Laker on !  Get your boat out of my way !  lol......
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 14:18:07 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Careful what you wish for. Stopping Lake Erie Trout stockings means Trout Stamps sales way down, so less money in Fish Commission coffers. (cuts , cuts $$) Where is money going to come from to support Lakers, Burbot , Sturgeon stockings ? Remember about 50% or more of people who fish Lake Erie don't own boats they charter or shoreline fish. Once money (people) leave the shores your boating costs will rise, or maybe all those people on shore will buy boats and join in with you since there are no fish in the creeks !  Laker on !  Get your boat out of my way !  lol......

True facts. Erie needs a new more stable banner fishery, which sturgeon could definitely become. For everyone but meat hunters and fly purists. Although, one could always swing meat flies on a 14wt Spey rod for them! PFBC barely contributes to the Lake Trout program, it's mainly the Feds, but their population is improving and hopefully soon natural repro will begin again and create a large portion of that species. I blame dah' Gobies, but more so humans, obviously :D. Combat trolling does exist, but more for walleye, two boats 300 yards apart screaming at each other that they'll tangle their six dozen 100-600' core lines in 10 minutes if they don't slightly change course soon XD. They all get that weird stare when I'm speed trolling just four lines at 5.0 mph past them for chromers haha.
post edited by Divemaster - 2017/01/09 14:19:41
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 17:43:15 (permalink)
Divemaster

We don't need more fish, we need less people, which is going to happen soon as long as returns stay low.

I thought that 8-9  years ago.
less fish, less anglers true, but the fewer  anglers there are over fewer fish in fewer places ...so congestion/angling pressure ends up about the same or worse

I never fished back in the glory days but if you want to stand in front of 100 stocked Rainbows in a hole then go to a hatchery.

yea right
In the glory dayz, you could actually walk a ways and find fish pret'near anywhere up and down Elk
You didn't have to fish the circus pond holes shoulder to shoulder if you didn't want

There's no way that many fish in Erie ditches can be good for the water quality or the forage populations that all the fish in the creeks have to rely on.

I don't know.
It hasn't hurt the native suckers and carp in the Spring has it?
I think the hens drop a bazzilion eggs ...does that add to the forage base for the creek chubs? 

I prefer the normal Trout experience with a healthy number of fish (1-10) in a hole and not a dozen guys around them. Yinz laugh but that's the future of Steelbows in PA.

Numbers,  low for sure compared to the glory dayz, but haven't they been  relatively stable/same for the last 5-6 years? 
maybe the Young Turks that have been at it regular for 5-6 years can tell us and/or our local friends that have been at it for years

Some of ya'll wanting the steel to go away in favor of Musky 'n stuff will dry ErieTribs  up.
Few to none will travel an hour or three to fish Erie creeks when there's similar water with as many fish closer to them?

ErieTribs aren't and never will be about fishing for native fish (that anglers can and do find at home in same or more numbers)
There about Big Trout and salmon ..That's what brings the anglers and bukz

just the way it is

..L.T.A.
post edited by genieman77 - 2017/01/09 17:45:40
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 17:46:35 (permalink)
Bring back da saimanz

#MEGA

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 18:00:14 (permalink)
Mountian Man
Bring back da saimanz

#MEGA

I hear Sturgeon eggz make great bait
Lets stock Sturgeons

..L.T.A.
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 18:08:59 (permalink)
genieman77
Mountian Man
Bring back da saimanz

#MEGA

I hear Sturgeon eggz make great baitLets stock Sturgeons ..L.T.A.

We will bring all fish in the world to erie MEGA

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
nerka
Avid Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 18:10:44 (permalink)
hey dive,, you think the russians are bad now    if your dream of sturgeon numbers off the tribs ever came to fruitition... the russians would be the next mafia lol lol  sturgeon cavair,,,,,,,,lots of money
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 18:13:14 (permalink)
More rusheens

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
Smallsac
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 18:41:02 (permalink)
nerka
hey dive,, you think the russians are bad now    if your dream of sturgeon numbers off the tribs ever came to fruitition... the russians would be the next mafia lol lol  sturgeon cavair,,,,,,,,lots of money

nerka

They've been doing it for years.

http://www.fieldandstream...ish-eggs-from-missouri

genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 18:56:12 (permalink)
nerka
  sturgeon cavair,,,,,,,,lots of money

The reel-deel

We will bring all fish in the world to erie

and  they'll pay for it
we'll make Eriee great again

..L.T.A
solitario lupo
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 19:17:59 (permalink)
genieman77
There about Big Trout and salmon ..That's what brings the anglers and bukz just the way it is ..L.T.A.

What salmon we still pay for them and they can't even stock them for us.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: FISH FOOD THREAD 2017/01/09 21:45:15 (permalink)
genieman77
Divemaster

We don't need more fish, we need less people, which is going to happen soon as long as returns stay low.
 I thought that 8-9  years ago.less fish, less anglers true, but the fewer  anglers there are over fewer fish in fewer places ...so congestion/angling pressure ends up about the same or worse    
I never fished back in the glory days but if you want to stand in front of 100 stocked Rainbows in a hole then go to a hatchery.
 yea rightIn the glory dayz, you could actually walk a ways and find fish pret'near anywhere up and down ElkYou didn't have to fish the circus pond holes shoulder to shoulder if you didn't want     
There's no way that many fish in Erie ditches can be good for the water quality or the forage populations that all the fish in the creeks have to rely on.
 I don't know.It hasn't hurt the native suckers and carp in the Spring has it?I think the hens drop a bazzilion eggs ...does that add to the forage base for the creek chubs?    
I prefer the normal Trout experience with a healthy number of fish (1-10) in a hole and not a dozen guys around them. Yinz laugh but that's the future of Steelbows in PA.

Numbers,  low for sure compared to the glory dayz, but haven't they been  relatively stable/same for the last 5-6 years? maybe the Young Turks that have been at it regular for 5-6 years can tell us and/or our local friends that have been at it for years  Some of ya'll wanting the steel to go away in favor of Musky 'n stuff will dry ErieTribs  up.Few to none will travel an hour or three to fish Erie creeks when there's similar water with as many fish closer to them? ErieTribs aren't and never will be about fishing for native fish (that anglers can and do find at home in same or more numbers)There about Big Trout and salmon ..That's what brings the anglers and bukz just the way it is ..L.T.A.

The eggs certainly have to help add to the forage in spring. Chubs, Suckers, and Bass must be gorging themselves that time of year, and the Steelhead I'm guessing are taking advantage of the suckers too in March and early April.

And yeah I know, Erie is for the guys who want huge fish close to home, as happy as I'd be with big native Brookies in Walnut lol. All I can do now is hope that if the Steelhead fishery continues that the fish returns stay like they were this fall and the crowds decrease steadily, but I suppose I'm just dreaming there. And if we're going to keep it up with stocking pelletheads we should add some more Browns in there just sayin' :P.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to: