Helpful ReplyWhining on the reports page...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9659
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Whining on the reports page... 2017/01/09 09:39:06 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
The Erie Diary by Captain Hook  

70's - 80's  decent runs of Coho with a light mix of Steelhead / no crowds on creeks except for the mouths of the tribs. Most creeks wide open to fishing. Trout Run and Walnut are the major targets. It's the beginning of a new fishery!  

80's - 90's Steelhead runs increase Coho slowly fade / crowds still mainly near mouths and shorelines. Runs are mixed good and not so good numbers.
Most creeks are wide open, traffic still very light.
Most new fishing ideas and information came from the West Coast, and the Great Lakes Fishing magazine. ( most fishermen didn't know this) Flies, Egg Sacs, Lures ,Rods, all West Coast ideas! They had the experience. 

90's - 2000  Steelhead runs continue to get stronger every year. Mouths of creeks are packed with fish and people. Awesome runs of fish are entering the creeks fairly steady.
The internet becomes a major media, newspapers are printing steady articles from Erie to Pittsburgh. Cell phones are ringing steady. The crowds start to increase stronger. Creeks are busy but still decent room if you walk a little. 

2000-2010 Steelhead runs are crazy ! Fish are packed in all areas of water from Rt.5 - I-79 ! People are everywhere , cars are jammed parked , Internet is on fire with info ! 
12-20 fish a day is normal for most fishermen. People from Canada to South Carolina to Wyoming to Maine are all flocking to Steelhead Alley !
I-79 traffic is tripled from Sept. - December !
Land is being posted fast , parking is a major issue in most areas , litter is everywhere, bathrooms are almost non existent, no fish cleaning stations, cell phones are now part of fishing gear ! 
The writing is on the wall. There is no way this can, or will continue like this !
Combat fishing has entered Erie Pa.strong and the Fish Commission is stymied ! 

2010-2016  Steelhead runs have decreased fairly rapid with each year becoming less.
Crowds are still very heavy in most areas. Some issues have been addressed with some bathrooms, parking and land owner leases. Combat fishing is accepted in most areas with limited access to upper creek areas, regular fishing areas are now overly busy.
There are no Steelhead fishing secrets, every day is a Saturday, internet fishing news and weather is daily watched, catch numbers on average are low. Seems fish size has also dropped just by reading the Pa. records past years.

Good , bad , whatever you rate it now, it's still fishing.....beats working !  

Great summary from one that lived it.  Writing was definitely on the wall as noted.  A lot on this forum were trying their best to keep the land open with gift basket collections and picking up trash.  But any land kept open just had to suffer the influx of more and more people.  The more people, the more chance for that one person to ruin it all.  I feel bad for some of the land owners that signed long term easements, to have 20 times as many people on their land, as they expected from when they signed.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Whining on the reports page... 2017/01/09 10:10:01 (permalink)
I really don't think anybody including myself was expecting what was to come in the early 2000's on. We seen the crowds building slowly, but once the internet came into the scene strong there was a mass explosion of fishermen in Erie as well as NY. I was meeting people from all over the country fishing and the common base was the internet information. That along with the super runs of Steelhead year after year, just created a total chaotic situation fast. For local businesses this was a great boom , for some residents and land owners it was a total disaster !

I personally believe the stockings have been cut down to help draw the crowds down to normal. These creeks are small in size with limited public access and can not sustain the kind of numbers of people that were seen in the mid 2000's. Land owners came to the breaking point and began posting even more land. I also believe the stocking programs are also facing challenges with money and volunteers.

An older fisherman told me years ago that there are too many fish showing up and that's bad ! I never knew what he meant back then......now I do !     
nerka
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 127
Re: Whining on the reports page... 2017/01/09 12:16:47 (permalink)
yes i remember back in the late 90s saying to myself and others  enjoy this unrealistic numbers of fish and  the crowds werent that bad then
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Whining on the reports page... 2017/01/09 13:40:03 (permalink)
Like I said for some it was a blessing, sports stores, bait shops, hotels, food outlets, guides.
For others it was a nightmare, some land owners along creeks, residents near creeks and parking areas, public areas with trash and no restrooms or cleaning stations, businesses near parking areas. Those crowds took a toll fast on Erie residents and surrounding areas. It takes tax money to clean and maintain public access areas too.

Remember where there are crowds there is money to be made or at least cover the cost.
I think with some incentives, some (not all) land owners, would have been more willing to accept fishermen traffic. Once again the Fish Commission would have to establish some ideas. Maybe charging for permits for certain areas to fish , maybe charge something for parking, installing more trash dumpsters, more portable bathrooms. It's all about money to a certain point, but also you need people to take on responsibility to organize such programs.

Today with liability laws , tax laws, and program cost, I don't know if anything is feasible with land owners into the future. I'm not even sure how solid the Steelhead stocking program is heading into the future years. Just seems like it's all crashed at once so there is serious future doubt. There is no one easy answer, but all is not lost, one can still go Steelhead fishing in Erie just don't take it for granted !       
Indiana_Bob
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
Re: Whining on the reports page... 2017/01/09 15:12:01 (permalink)
Mountian Man
nerka
they built it and we came  now its the after the gold rush era...... the lazy fat fisherman left,,, now the serious skilled are left,,, kinda glad this happened... let all the lazy fisherman stay home catching fresh stockies that hit anything......but im still catching steel lol lol it aint hard if u WALK A LITTLE ..............JUS SAYING

Its hard to carry my lawn chair and styrofoam cooler.

I hired a 16 year old Mexican kid to haul My chair and coolers around for me. I can rent him out to you for a small fee. He nets fish also.

Email me at mexicanlivesmatter77@gmail.com
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Whining on the reports page... 2017/01/09 17:03:39 (permalink)

"So let me get this straight, you are whining about a whining whiner whining about another whining whiner whining on the reports page.. "

YES!!!! It's the bee yutee of the inturdnet!
post edited by fisherofmen376 - 2017/01/09 17:05:43

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Whining on the reports page... 2017/01/09 17:05:08 (permalink)

"I hired a 16 year old Mexican kid to haul My chair and coolers around for me. I can rent him out to you for a small fee. He nets fish also.

Email me at mexicanlivesmatter77@gmail.com"

Very classy post 🙄
post edited by fisherofmen376 - 2017/01/09 17:06:24

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
Re: Whining on the reports page... 2017/01/09 17:39:59 (permalink)
Indiana_Bob
Mountian Man
nerka
they built it and we came  now its the after the gold rush era...... the lazy fat fisherman left,,, now the serious skilled are left,,, kinda glad this happened... let all the lazy fisherman stay home catching fresh stockies that hit anything......but im still catching steel lol lol it aint hard if u WALK A LITTLE ..............JUS SAYING

Its hard to carry my lawn chair and styrofoam cooler.

I hired a 16 year old Mexican kid to haul My chair and coolers around for me. I can rent him out to you for a small fee. He nets fish also.

Email me at mexicanlivesmatter77@gmail.com

MAKE ERIE GREAT AGAIN

#MEGA

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Whining on the reports page... 2017/01/09 19:03:38 (permalink)
Game over...........found in Sterrettania Cemetery.

Indiana_Bob
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
Re: Whining on the reports page... 2017/01/09 19:13:22 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Game over...........found in Sterrettania Cemetery. 

I like to think of this period as the Re birth of Erie steelhead. Less crowds and a more enjoyable time.
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Whining on the reports page... 2017/01/09 19:50:17 (permalink)
People getting skunked can now go to the nearest PA Fish and Boat commission office for a sore-looser award. 

They will be awarded a fresh steelhead then can hook in a 50-gallon fish tank. A 5 inch trophy stating "Erie's #1 Fisher". And can take a photo with 3 steelhead outside to show friends they were not skunked!

Southernpagreatlaker91
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Whining on the reports page... 2017/01/10 09:29:50 (permalink)
Love it as a young buck I didn't get the glory days and have had a hard start at it pounded kings this year Pulaski Altmar Dexter and have continued trips frequently chasing N.Y. steel and swallowed a few hard shunk I just smile crack a cold one and ponder where and what to do ta touch that beautiful cold steel well like you boss said the interweb I'll be in Erie sometime this month if fishery is declining I wanna make the best of it
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: