Pere Marquette area

Author
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
  • Reward points: 0
2016/12/27 15:38:35 (permalink)

Pere Marquette area

been invited to a free 2 day guided trip sometime in May (date not confirmed) in the area of the Pere Marquette

the river name he mentioned wasn't the Pere Marquette , but close enough we may or may not fish  that system proper   

I'm assuming steel are there?
also told of Browns in the 20-22" range??

I'm told we'll be in a drift boat at least some of the time .
so it can't be skinny/small water, right??

hooz been there in May, early, mid or late? ??

skoolme

Thanks

..L.T.A.

post edited by genieman77 - 2016/12/27 15:40:28

25 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/27 15:48:08 (permalink)
    Who is the guide? 

Steel probably still there, but probably not a ton of them.  Great brown trout fishery.  It's not a big river, width wise, drift boats get down it with no problem.  In some places with wading anglers it gets tight (from left to right) going passed them in a boat.  Relatively heavily fished due to it's strong populations of wild trout/steel/sammins.  Yes, it can still be skinny water, if by "skinny" you mean "shallow".  Western Michigan substrate is totally different than your area.  It's sand & logjam cover instead of boulders & bedrock.  You'll have bug hatches, probably several of them on any given day.  Perhaps even mousing if night fishing is an option, people do that there regularly.  Big streamers are also popular, several modern patterns were developed there.

Trust your guide, take his advice, fish what he says to fish & you'll have a ball.  gorgeous country, IMO.  If you've never fished out of a drift boat, you're in for a fun time.
    Indiana_Bob
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/27 15:57:35 (permalink)
    D-nymph
    Who is the guide?  Steel probably still there, but probably not a ton of them.  Great brown trout fishery.  It's not a big river, width wise, drift boats get down it with no problem.  In some places with wading anglers it gets tight (from left to right) going passed them in a boat.  Relatively heavily fished due to it's strong populations of wild trout/steel/sammins.  Yes, it can still be skinny water, if by "skinny" you mean "shallow".  Western Michigan substrate is totally different than your area.  It's sand & logjam cover instead of boulders & bedrock.  You'll have bug hatches, probably several of them on any given day.  Perhaps even mousing if night fishing is an option, people do that there regularly.  Big streamers are also popular, several modern patterns were developed there. Trust your guide, take his advice, fish what he says to fish & you'll have a ball.  gorgeous country, IMO.  If you've never fished out of a drift boat, you're in for a fun time.

Check out Chad Betts website. He has a lot of info on the area... Bettsguideservice.com

It is a little bigger than Elk. Like Nymph said: log jams and sandy bottom. Beautiful scenery. The artificial section is a great area. little pressure. You will float and wade the the better areas I'm guessing. Muskegon river would be better that time of year, but you should at least have some good trout fishing. Steelhead will be hit or miss depending on water and weather.
    post edited by Indiana_Bob - 2016/12/27 15:59:19
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/27 16:07:44 (permalink)
    D-nymph

Trust your guide, take his advice, fish what he says to fish & you'll have a ball.  gorgeous country, IMO.  If you've never fished out of a drift boat, you're in for a fun time.

will do THAT for sure
    what line should I have on my rods?
    I have a 10ft 6wt that has a "noodlely" action and  a faster/stiffer 9ft 7wt (that I handle/cast/like better)

leaders??
    2X?

this getting jazzed

does the angling  pressure get stupid like our north shore tribs?

..L.T.A.

Indiana_Bob
    Avid Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/27 16:13:41 (permalink)
    genieman77
    D-nymph  Trust your guide, take his advice, fish what he says to fish & you'll have a ball.  gorgeous country, IMO.  If you've never fished out of a drift boat, you're in for a fun time.
     will do THAT for surewhat line should I have on my rods?I have a 10ft 6wt that has a "noodlely" action and  a faster/stiffer 9ft 7wt (that I handle/cast/like better) leaders??2X?  this getting jazzed does the angling  pressure get stupid like our north shore tribs?  ..L.T.A.    

Not even remotely close. Salmon gets a little busy. If you have time, check out the White River. Just south of Pere Marquette. Wade able and really not a river. It's a great gem that doesn't get the press that Manistee and PM get.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/27 16:14:30 (permalink)
    Indiana_Bob

Check out Chad Betts website. He has a lot of info on the area... Bettsguideservice.com

It is a little bigger than Elk. Like Nymph said: log jams and sandy bottom. Beautiful scenery. The artificial section is a great area. little pressure. You will float and wade the the better areas I'm guessing. Muskegon river would be better that time of year, but you should at least have some good trout fishing.

cool beans
    I think I was on Bett's when searching a few hours ago
    Trying to remember the river name he mentioned ..began with a "O" and was French named

this will be a gas for me

Guide's name I forget, but the friend that invited me has been with him many times up there and says it's great

..L.T.A.

Indiana_Bob
    Avid Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/27 16:18:39 (permalink)
    genieman77
    Indiana_Bob

It is a little bigger than Elk. Like Nymph said: log jams and sandy bottom. Beautiful scenery. The artificial section is a great area. little pressure. You will float and wade the the better areas I'm guessing. Muskegon river would be better that time of year, but you should at least have some good trout fishing.

cool beansI think I was on Bett's when searching a few hours agoTrying to remember the river name he mentioned ..began with a "O" and was French named this will be a gas for me Guide's name I forget, but the friend that invited me has been with him many times up there and says it's great ..L.T.A. 

Au Sable is what I'm guessing..

My company built the Windfarm in Ludington a few years back. I learned a lot areas from the locals during my stay there.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/27 16:35:10 (permalink)
    I'm there if it's not forecast to be washed out

..L.T.A.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/27 16:55:20 (permalink)
    genieman77

will do THAT for sure
    I have a 10ft 6wt that has a "noodlely" action and  a faster/stiffer 9ft 7wt (that I handle/cast/like better)

leaders??
    2X?

this getting jazzed

..L.T.A.

Let's back it up a minute... combining posts & not quoting them all...  First off, Pere Marquette is in Western Michigan.  AuSable is in NE Michigan, they are probably a 2-3 hour drive apart.  One flows to lake Michigan, one to Lake Huron.  Did he mention something like "The Holy Waters"?  Check with your buddy, buddy.  haha 

If it is the AuSable, I spent a few days there last May, it's real nice.  No Steelhead in the trout water because there are power dams downstream.

I think the guide will most likely provide the rods & reels unless you have one you really like.  Unless he's not providing gear I'd use his stuff, all of his stuff, rods/lines/leaders/tippet/etc. he's the pro, you're the angler.  He'd rather you use his stuff, that he knows how it performs than you use your stuff which may not be suited or optimal for the kind of fishing he's planning.  Or if you have a rig you particularly are fond of, talk to the guide, he'll advise too big or too small.  That all said, if you are to bring your own gear (which is not a common expectation) you should talk to the guide because he knows his fishery.  All of us jamokes would just be guessing. 

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/27 17:27:56 (permalink)
    D-nymph
    genieman77

will do THAT for sure

leaders??
    2X?

this getting jazzed

..L.T.A.

Let's back it up a minute... combining posts & not quoting them all...  First off, Pere Marquette is in Western Michigan.  AuSable is in NE Michigan, they are probably a 2-3 hour drive apart.  One flows to lake Michigan, one to Lake Huron.  Did he mention something like "The Holy Waters"?  Check with your buddy, buddy.  haha 

If it is the AuSable, I spent a few days there last May, it's real nice.  No Steelhead in the trout water because there are power dams downstream.

I think the guide will most likely provide the rods & reels unless you have one you really like.  Unless he's not providing gear I'd use his stuff, all of his stuff, rods/lines/leaders/tippet/etc. he's the pro, you're the angler.  He'd rather you use his stuff, that he knows how it performs than you use your stuff which may not be suited or optimal for the kind of fishing he's planning.  Or if you have a rig you particularly are fond of, talk to the guide, he'll advise too big or too small.  That all said, if you are to bring your own gear (which is not a common expectation) you should talk to the guide because he knows his fishery.  All of us jamokes would just be guessing. 

Thanks D
    I'm all for letting a pro spOOn fEEd me
    If i don;t catch enythin, then I pull out the green eggsnacks

..L.T.A,.

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/27 20:08:15 (permalink)
    wellh3ll..I got it all screwed up

it's the AuSable for Browns

..L.T.A.
    Indiana_Bob
    Avid Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/28 12:38:23 (permalink)
    genieman77
    wellh3ll..I got it all screwed up it's the AuSable for Browns   ..L.T.A.

Lower Au Sable has Steelhead, Atlantics n Lake run Browns. Guessing you will be drifting upper parts for Browns. 140 miles of River to fish. Enjoy..
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/28 12:52:49 (permalink)
    Indiana_Bob
    Guessing you will be drifting upper parts for Browns. 140 miles of River to fish. Enjoy..

Thanks Bob
    Barring any SAFU's, I'm sure I'll enjoy it if for no other reason than being new places

I hope  the guide is worth his salt
    I know enough about steelhEDz to be dangerous...
    But Browns are proven to be  smarter than me  

..L.T.A.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/28 15:01:53 (permalink)
    genieman77
    wellh3ll..I got it all screwed up

it's the AuSable for Browns

..L.T.A.

mmmhmmm.  It's real nice there.  Heavy fishing pressure due to it's reputation around the world & its lofty place in fly fishing history.  That said, it still holds tons of fish & has prolific hatches.  Worth the trip to see for yourself & know what that river holds, that's why I went last year.  We caught no special fish, nothing big, but it's a great environment.  The amount of brown trout cover available is ridiculous.  But they are tough, don't expect to whack 50 fish or anything, but you should get a few with a guide.  We had some locals with us, one is a guide, but wasn't guiding us, just fishing together. 

These are from the middle part of the river.  Like said above, it's a super long waterway and changes from a smallish stream to a full on river along the way.

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/28 22:34:12 (permalink)
    D-nymph
      The amount of brown trout cover available is ridiculous.  But they are tough,

Does that mean you  can't slap the water to a froth with ridiculously poor casts and chuck 'n duck fishing like you can in Erie to  catch steel?

are you saying I have to deftly lay an offering in a perfect spot/zone for a chance?

"Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore"

..L.T.A.
    Indiana_Bob
    Avid Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/28 22:36:11 (permalink)
    genieman77
    D-nymph  The amount of brown trout cover available is ridiculous.  But they are tough,  

Does that mean you  can't slap the water to a froth with ridiculously poor casts and chuck 'n duck fishing like you can in Erie to  catch steel? are you saying I have to deftly lay an offering in a perfect spot/zone for a chance? "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore" ..L.T.A.

Nah.. Just sit there and let the guide do all the work, you just reel them in.. Smoke a cigar and take some pictures...
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/29 07:31:17 (permalink)
    4/0 treblez n lotza lead

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/29 10:52:02 (permalink)
    genieman77
    Does that mean you  can't slap the water to a froth with ridiculously poor casts and chuck 'n duck fishing like you can in Erie to  catch steel?

are you saying I have to deftly lay an offering in a perfect spot/zone for a chance?

"Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore"

..L.T.A.

Sometimes.  Depending which section of the river you're going to be on, some of it is pretty narrow, the upstream sections.  Dense populations of fish but they are educated little buggers.  More important than bombing 60 foot casts onto a dinner plate size spot will be 30 foot casts with good mending of line & controlling your drift well.  Decent steel fisherdudes already know how to mend line.  Once he sees your skillz or lack thereof, the guide will be able to put the boat within your casting range without you even realizing it.  Then he'll go to the bar & tell his buddys how bad his sports sucked at casting today. 
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/29 11:53:38 (permalink)
    D-nymph

More important than bombing 60 foot casts onto a dinner plate size spot will be 30 foot casts with good mending of line & controlling your drift well. 

even I can handle that

Once he sees your skillz or lack thereof, the guide will be able to put the boat within your casting range

make my day

Then he'll go to the bar & tell his buddys how bad his sports sucked at casting today

I'll break both his thumbs

..L.T.A.

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/30 10:56:57 (permalink)
    GM77

You have PMs turned off...
    I've fished that area a few times, twice in the end of May/beginning of June in the Holy Water area (East of Grayling).  that section is smaller that what D-nymph described on the lower river below the Mio dam. lots of timber in a sand bottom with a bit of "teas stain" to the water

there should be plenty of dry fly fishing the time you are there
    listen to the guide and take the advise... could be the difference between a 3 fish and a 30 fish day

it is very normal to fish late into the night and then not be on the water till 10am the next day
    evenings/dusk is long up there that time of the year and if you are fishing a spinner fall you could be on the water till 11/11:30pm (bring a head lamp).  there is a lot of water in the area and hatches move upriver and happen on different systems depending on weather/flow/temp/ect

if you guided trip is over before dark, ask the guide or the shop for advise where the hatch is happening and don't be afraid to drive and explore on your own.

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/30 16:32:44 (permalink)
    KJH807
    GM77

You have PMs turned off...

NFW???
    My inbox  doesn't say full
    and I sure didn't black ball you....you're one of Cool Kids Duud

PM coming your way

BTW, I promise all I WILL let the guide lead
    there's was never any doubt in my mind about that

I may be a dumknowitall, but I ain't toopid neether

..L.T.A.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/30 17:06:09 (permalink)
    making a list, checking it twice

Headlight ck
    (always have at least one handheld on body and a half dozen everywhere else)
    DEET ck

need;
    new flyline for two rods...regular ole floating DT??? is that  good with my mentors? 

Leader ...what do I need?....2x? 3x??    12ft? 9ft? 

split shot sizes needed?

weighted trebblez and smOke ressipee?

..L.T.A.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/30 17:40:24 (permalink)
    genieman77

weighted trebblez and smOke ressipee?  ..L.T.A.  

Ewwwwww yinz ain't gonna eat dem things.. is yinz?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2016/12/30 19:53:35 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.

Ewwwwww yinz ain't gonna eat dem things.. is yinz?

I don't eat 'em
    My barn cats do.
    The hogs finish what the cats won't 

I sells the eggz  in eerie

..L.T.A.

creel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2017/01/01 22:38:39 (permalink)
    Larry I have a nice 13 ft  rod CR500 made that would work nice on that water, never seen any water.

thats a good fish, they are all good, some are gooder than others
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pere Marquette area 2017/01/02 08:16:32 (permalink)
    creel
    Larry I have a nice 13 ft  rod CR500 made that would work nice on that water, never seen any water.

John,  howthehe11 are you?
    enjoying your retirement I hope !!

a 13ft rod wouldn't do "me" any good 
    It  puts me 3 ft closer to hanging  jewelry in the logjams

..L.T.A.
    Jump to: