There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here !

Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2016/12/14 21:57:40 (permalink)

There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here !

The holiday spirit was alive in an anonymous do-gooder who dropped a $1,000 winning lottery ticket into a Salvation Army kettle in Pennsylvania.
The lucky winner donated the scratch-off at a Walmart in Erie, state lottery officials said Tuesday.

16 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/14 22:05:02 (permalink)
    Cool story Captain thanks for putting it up.👍

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/15 11:11:24 (permalink)
    Love hearing about stuff like this
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2521
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/15 11:55:20 (permalink)
    I also heard of a secret Santa paying off lay aways at Walmart. One was for 40 some thousand dollars I think ? in Somerset PA, and another for 141 thousand or so in another store in PA. I believe it was also a Walmart. A lot of good people in the world. Wish I had more to offer.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
    Quote: E.B. White

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/15 11:56:47 (permalink)
    bigfoot
    I also heard of a secret Santa paying off lay aways at Walmart. One was for 40 some thousand dollars I think ? in Somerset PA, and another for 141 thousand or so in another store in PA. I believe it was also a Walmart. A lot of good people in the world. Wish I had more to offer. 

That was the bedford walmart someone dropped 40g

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/15 12:55:19 (permalink)
    Good one Bob !

Seriously , of all the good organizations the Salvation Army is tops!

I lost a job years ago along with 2,000 other fellow workers and the Salvation Army did a wonderful job at helping us during hard times. They provided food bags , gifts for children, and other items during Christmas. Nothing worse than not having a job during the holiday times and your children hoping on Santa's gifts. They did a great job ! I never forgot them.

I always toss money in the pot !

Indiana_Bob
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/15 13:10:30 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Good one Bob ! Seriously , of all the good organizations the Salvation Army is tops! I lost a job years ago along with 2,000 other fellow workers and the Salvation Army did a wonderful job at helping us during hard times. They provided food bags , gifts for children, and other items during Christmas. Nothing worse than not having a job during the holiday times and your children hoping on Santa's gifts. They did a great job ! I never forgot them. I always toss money in the pot !       

Always give to them.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/15 13:26:18 (permalink)
    The Salvation Army is also always ranked as one of the most fiscally responsible charitable organizations we have.  I believe that it's close to 80% (maybe even a little higher) of the funds that they raise, go directly to help others.  
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/15 13:38:17 (permalink)
    rsquared
    The Salvation Army is also always ranked as one of the most fiscally responsible charitable organizations we have.  I believe that it's close to 80% (maybe even a little higher) of the funds that they raise, go directly to help others.  

Correct, i either donate directly to the cause through purchases of what need be and delivering them or salvation army, i dont trust or deal with for profit donation companies.

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/15 14:24:23 (permalink)
    rsquared

Agreed !

We gave to United Fund years ago till we found out how corrupt they were.
    Had their own private jets, and their top officials were making tons of money.
    Maybe pennies on a dollar actually helped needy !........rip-offs ! ......Sad
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/15 17:29:20 (permalink)
    Look up the salary of the united way big wigs

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/15 17:30:41 (permalink)
    I always enjoyed going out every year with other members of a vol. fire dept. to ring the bells at the Salvation Army kettles in Franklin, PA.

Many other organizations would take their turns at manning the kettles as well.

Actually got to be a competition and we had fun to see which organization could raise the most money.

Don't know if that continues today but for those wishing they could contribute to those in need, grab a couple buddies and volunteer to man the kettles for a day. Maybe you won't be needed but it won't hurt to ask.

PS. Next time you see a bell ringer...... buy em a coffee.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/12/15 17:32:16

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/17 01:15:24 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    The holiday spirit was alive in an anonymous do-gooder who dropped a $1,000 winning lottery ticket into a Salvation Army kettle in Pennsylvania.
    The lucky winner donated the scratch-off at a Walmart in Erie, state lottery officials said Tuesday.

I didn't know it was a winner, dammit.
    rsquared

96% !    SA has been my favorite charity since I was in the Navy many years ago.   A guy I knew needed some cash to get home because his mother was dying, and the Red Cross gave him a bunch of crap. SA gave him the money, asked him to donate when he could.  I bet they've gotten a hundred times what they gave him because of their help.

Goodwill sucks!  Look up their CEO salary too.  More than 2 million bucks.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/17 04:59:43 (permalink)
    Ditto on the Red Cross I wouldn't Pizz on them if they caught fire in from of me. But it's good to know that no matter how dark it gets there's always a little sunshine in this world!
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/17 07:40:42 (permalink)
    Salvation Army get a buck every time I walk by the kettle. And believe me my little town has two at the best spots super market and post office. I'm a fan of legit organization but when they call for a donation I always ask how much of the money goes to the horse's mouth. Most can't tell you. It would amaze you as to about 10 percent in some cases. They use a lot of money towards administration jobs and what not. It's a shame when you thing about it.
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2016/12/18 16:57:53
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2521
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/17 13:09:50 (permalink)
    Mountian Man
    bigfoot

That was the bedford walmart someone dropped 40g

Yes, you are correct.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
    Quote: E.B. White

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: There are some good people in Erie ! Hope it was a member here ! 2016/12/17 16:46:26 (permalink)
    FiveMilePete, My Father was in WW2 and had always told me about trying to get home due to illness in the family and had the same experience.
    Jump to: