Decent read?????????

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2016/12/08 19:34:39 (permalink)

Decent read?????????

This place is dead, lets start it up again......

Opinions.......
https://vedavoo.com/stand-for-the-salmon-river/

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

25 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/09 02:45:11 (permalink)
    I'm all for C&R on all trout and Atlantics,and maybe make it illegal to carry a camera while on or near the river.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/09 07:09:48 (permalink)
    I don't understand why after I , just a dumb fisher , have been saying that lake Ontario is getting to clean and zebra mussels are creating a huge problem, NOW everyone is finally coming out publicly ..

As far a cameras , ah that's not the problem. The bigger problems are the C&R , specifically the fly zones .. Fish constantly being hooked over and over , day after day in areas they use to winter over .
    I don't know the answer and couldn't begin to even try to figure one out but it is a fact that the fly zone during winter is a contributing factor to their lower survival

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/09 07:24:40 (permalink)
    I hear you Tuna. It's also all about etiquette using 4lbs test and 16 foot leaders with #20 flies is just as bad. Hearing people with all these hook ups but never landing any that's because they are lining them or snagging just as bad as people do for the salmon.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/09 11:48:06 (permalink)
    If people would handle the fish differently they will survive.Slipping your finger into the gill cover and hanging it there for a hero shot is not good,also keeping it out of the water for multiple hero shots is not good.Or how about dropping it on the rocks after you haul it out of the water?ETC. etc.
    KEEP the fish in the water ,unhook it,and send it on it's way after you revive it.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/09 12:46:51 (permalink)
    I don't disagree with mis handling at all jack but a fish that was played to release then hooked again moments later by the angler 30' downstream and if that fish is lucky enough , may get a few hrs before the next guy hooks it , is no better off , is that not also a form of mishandled ?
    The C&R ZONE , at least the lower is just to small to handle that amount of pressure ( IMO).
    The above sinero also happens in other parts of altmar as well.
    I seen a picture of the same steelhead caught by 2 guys on the same day and then again by 1 of those guys in the same spot the following day. One could argue C&R is working by that , but how many times can that fish handle that ?

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/09 18:19:45 (permalink)
    C&R is better than roping them,it's once and gone then.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/09 19:05:10 (permalink)
    I personally would like to C&R until 2a, rope em until Altmar and shut it down after Altmar bridge.  Start the C&R lets say 10/15 and all the time for trout \ atlantics.  Make an area somewhere Fly only if you want. Most of the roping takes place in town. At the choke points. As always better enforcement would be good too.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/10 11:22:24 (permalink)
    At least the DSR requires C&R for trout.  I did see a young guy in the DSR chasing after his rope with two "Cohos" on it.  We got the rope for him two hundred yards downstream and realized he had two steelhead on it.  The young man didn't know the difference.  That one really teed me off.  He didn't know his quarry and he didn't know the rules for that section of the fishery.  The whole idea is fishing tourism.  C&R is the way to go.  Erie needs to adopt this or at least cut the creel limit to 1 a day from 3 now.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/10 11:23:56 (permalink)
    What about a tag/stamp system. Say 5 fish per season ? Or possibly a closed season C&R only for some period of time.
    If the entire river were to be C&R only, I would probably never fish it again.

chartist
    Expert Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/10 11:26:03 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    I don't disagree with mis handling at all jack but a fish that was played to release then hooked again moments later by the angler 30' downstream and if that fish is lucky enough , may get a few hrs before the next guy hooks it , is no better off , is that not also a form of mishandled ?
    The C&R ZONE , at least the lower is just to small to handle that amount of pressure ( IMO).
    I seen a picture of the same steelhead caught by 2 guys on the same day and then again by 1 of those guys in the same spot the following day. One could argue C&R is working by that , but how many times can that fish handle that ?

I think you missed the point.  It's create more opportunity for people to catch a fish through C&R.  If three guys catch the same fish inside 30 minutes, that's three happy anglers that will come back.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/10 13:01:30 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    What about a tag/stamp system. Say 5 fish per season ? Or possibly a closed season C&R only for some period of time.
    If the entire river were to be C&R only, I would probably never fish it again.

My Buddy still has a few of The Steel tags from The late 70's when they used that system for Salmon.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/10 13:08:53 (permalink)
    3 happy guys and 1 dead tired fish

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/10 13:39:27 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    3 happy guys and 1 dead tired fish

Although I dont disagree HT better than 1Happy Guy and one roped fish maybe. But On The other side of that at least The Fish Will be consumed instead of wasted dead in The bank
    post edited by Clint S - 2016/12/10 13:41:39

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/10 16:31:59 (permalink)
    chartist
    At least the DSR requires C&R for trout.  I did see a young guy in the DSR chasing after his rope with two "Cohos" on it.  We got the rope for him two hundred yards downstream and realized he had two steelhead on it.  The young man didn't know the difference.  That one really teed me off.  He didn't know his quarry and he didn't know the rules for that section of the fishery.  The whole idea is fishing tourism.  C&R is the way to go.  Erie needs to adopt this or at least cut the creel limit to 1 a day from 3 now.

The voice of reason.

Thanks!
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/10 16:40:08 (permalink)
    chartist
    hot tuna

I think you missed the point.  It's create more opportunity for people to catch a fish through C&R.  If three guys catch the same fish inside 30 minutes, that's three happy anglers that will come back.

Why do you have to be like that.
    Get everybody worked up to hate you and then you actively engage in discussion.

twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/10 16:54:59 (permalink)
    Oh  and Malinda know her shizell!
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/10 17:01:10 (permalink)
    I wanted a tag system years ago.
    Had it in Wash St when I was there visiting a couple times in the late 70s.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/11 09:32:59 (permalink)
    Only problem with Chartist's argument is that fish that are recently caught, usually will not feed for a period of time. I did say usually.  In winter, with lowered metabolisms, it would be even more true. By logical extension, that means the second and third hook-ups were most likely achieved illegally. Or at least the way the law reads, now. If you altered the law to include methods that were passive snagging  (hard to enforce, as it is)  as legal, and the onus on it was removed it would be a different fishery. On the other hand, though I have a disagreement with Chartist on his view, I don't dismiss what he said overall, by any means. I think there's many that would like to see C&R vastly expanded and the mud shark  fishery  become less of a player in politics and economy.  The racks of white pool cues in Fat Nancy's would shrink, somewhat. I wouldn't shed any tears. It'll be interesting to see if the bio-mass changes to any great degree. It seems the forage base is transferred into the river via the salmon right now, providing for a very healthy invertebrate base that sustains the steelhead. I wonder what happens with more fish in the river in the winter, but perhaps less food and more angler pressure. More like Erie?
    post edited by fichy - 2016/12/11 09:40:54
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/11 10:48:34 (permalink)
    Which is exactly why chart missed my point ... and why I used the word hook, not catch.
    I am all for C&R on those fish but don't like a total mandate across the board. It would take me out of the picture if it were. These are stocked fish and it is documented that natural reproduction is not sustainable.
    I refuse to walk into a certain shop up there because she mandated that the only way I could get a room was
    1. I didn't kill any trout
    2. I didn't have a snowmobile.

Yes the fishery can be better 10 fold in many ways . As it stands , I will take it in small doses

chartist
    Expert Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/11 12:44:47 (permalink)
    I have a visceral reaction to seeing trout on a rope.  As such, I support the DSR's approach of C&R for trout species and from now on, it's the only place I will fish on the SR.  I spotted quite a few spawning kings in the DSR this year.  Also, the kings were much more willing to take a fly there versus upstream where I fished just down from the trestle hole.  Plus they're fresher and fight harder, imo.  I am seeing Youtube videos now of the big run early October on the DSR.  I can relate, cuz I saw it.  It was a mini version of the so-called 100 year run of a few years ago.  And I like the DSR pricing:  buy three days, get the fourth free. 
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/11 13:06:58 (permalink)
    Regarding fly availability, Fat Nancy's sells flies that don't hold up to king salmon as the wire is too fine.  Whittacres sells good quality, but often runs out of the hot fly.  I lost around 50 flies I tied and had to resort to Fat Nancy's.  I got hookups, but after two, the hook went straight.  I don't know if you all have a fly count you plan on but looks like I will have to tie 100 for next year. 
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/11 18:48:32 (permalink)
    Triple digits are a minimum for me, just to have choices.  I hardly tied any this year, as I had  4-5 boxes from Intruders and Comets to small stones and eggs. DSR is a good place to swing flies. Way more "hot".
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/12 08:23:50 (permalink)
    Hooking fish in the rudder has a tendency to straighten out hooks.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/13 19:30:11 (permalink)
    Troutbum, I'll say that foul hooks did occur in the DSR.  When I realized my spot in the spring hole lead to more foul hooks than not, I moved to another spot in the hole...I don't enjoy foul hooking.  I broke off when I realize I did it, and I tell others when they're foul.  Most fishermen in the DSR appreciate the info...Folks upstream in the public water don't seem to mind how they're hooked.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Decent read????????? 2016/12/14 11:49:25 (permalink)
    Haven't read the article yet, but will do. Nice to hear some opinion around here
    Jump to: