Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
  • Reward points: 0
2016/12/05 08:54:39 (permalink)

Anyone fish with switch rods?

Going to get myself another addition to my rod arsenal for Christmas and I was considering trying out a switch rod. My current steelhead rod is a 9' 8wt single hand and it works great, but is limited to casting about 50-60' even with a long back cast. Obviously that distance is fine and even excessive for most PA Tribs, but for spots like lower Elk and Conneaut and out of state Tribs like the Catt and even the Oak up on Lake O, I was thinking that a switch rod would be pretty versatile. Could use it for single hand applications in most of the PA creeks and the extra length would even help when I Czech nymph for steelhead by allowing me to put a couple extra feet between myself and the fish. I've even heard that switch rods can be efficient for casting and stripping streamers in still water which would be beneficial for fishing weighted emerald patterns, etc. along the shoreline, in the bay, frog water, and inland waters. On the negative side, I've heard that switch rods can be clumsy to use for single hand applications and be to short for double hand Spey casting, so it's really mixed reviews. Does anyone here use or has used a switch rod in PA Tribs and if so would they recommend one to someone who is proficient at casting a single hand setup?

41 Replies Related Threads

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/05 10:36:19 (permalink)
    dumb question...

what's the difference in a switch and spay rod?

..L.T.A.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/05 10:38:31 (permalink)
    genieman77
    dumb question... what's the difference in a switch and spay rod? ..L.T.A.

Elaborate please. Difference from what I've read is rod length and line weight. Longer and heavier than single hands but shorter and lighter than double hands. Seems pretty versatile to me.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/05 10:52:32 (permalink)
    Divemaster

Difference from what I've read is rod length and line weight. Longer and heavier than single hands but shorter and lighter than double hands. Seems pretty versatile to me.

so if i understand that.....the switch is a "tweener" rod?
    More than a "normal" flyrod, but less than a two hand spay???

I'm just barely functional with a "regular' rod...no need to increase any degree of difficulty for me

..L.T.A.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/05 11:02:21 (permalink)
    genieman77
    Divemaster

Difference from what I've read is rod length and line weight. Longer and heavier than single hands but shorter and lighter than double hands. Seems pretty versatile to me.

so if i understand that.....the switch is a "tweener" rod?More than a "normal" flyrod, but less than a two hand spay??? I'm just barely functional with a "regular' rod...no need to increase any degree of difficulty for me ..L.T.A.

That seems to be what I've read about them. A lot of western steelheaders choose them so they can just carry a single switch rod with them all day for all applications instead of a single hand rod for nymphs/eggs and a double hand/Spey for swinging streamers. I'd like to go full Spey eventually but don't currently fish large Tribs often enough to invest in a 100% double hand rod.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/05 11:29:09 (permalink)
    genieman77

L.T.A. the "only dumb" question is; the one you don't ask.

It's not knowing the difference in equipment you need to learn, rather the language being spoken.

There are those that trout fish with line and bobber; there are those that "pin" for trout; there are those that use "fly reels" for catching trout and than there is those who prefer "center pins" for trout fishing.

It's not about enjoying the opportunity to fish but more importantly, to which group you belong.

But first you must "learn the language".

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/05 14:17:36 (permalink)
    genieman77

Spay rods can't have puppies. 😄

Sorry that one was teed up too perfectly not to hit.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Smallsac
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/05 18:35:08 (permalink)
    Divemaster
    genieman77

Elaborate please. Difference from what I've read is rod length and line weight. Longer and heavier than single hands but shorter and lighter than double hands. Seems pretty versatile to me.

Your understanding is correct.   I've seen both down to 5wt.; Switch rods have a slightly longer butt section than a heavy weight single hand.  Lengths are generally over 11'. Basically very good for roll casting. 

Spey rods are longer still. Have one but never used it.

Both can be tiring with all day use and difficult traveling through the bush.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/05 18:52:02 (permalink)
    A rod is not magic... it's a tool
    A tool that is only as good as the hands its in

If you just want roll cast and wants bit more reach, gets 10ft single handed.
    You can get a switchr rod, but you will soon find it to be a pain and the lower grip is a pain using single hand/overhead tactics

I use a switch rod in PA, fished with swing/Spey methods... honestly there are only a handful of spots (determined by flow) where it works ... and those are shot if other people are around

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/05 18:59:26 (permalink)
    Switch rods were originally short Spey rods designed to "switch" between 2handed and single handed Spey casting.... both having actions that are not optimal for traditional overhead casting

Rods and lines have changed

Much to my surprise I did quite well this spring on a trip to Africa fishing a 10'4 6wt switch rod overhead. It was targeting grass/weeds with a 8wt rio outbound shooting head where casts were 40-100ft. Hit a spot, strip, pick up and shoot again with 1 back cast. It wasn't the best... but it worked really well and was super efficient to have only one back cast and I pretty much doubled the time the fly was in the water compared to a traditional method.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/05 21:30:09 (permalink)
    L.T.A....... you getting all this down? Take copius notes neighbor, thar shirley gunna be a test.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 05:42:09 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    L.T.A....... you getting all this down? Take copius notes neighbor, thar shirley gunna be a test.

soaking it up like a sponge

Spay rods can't reproduce
    and KJ gets around

..L.T.A.

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 08:21:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the information, all. Though 2/3 of this thread seems to be corny jokes haha.

Based on what I'm hearing now, seems like I'd be better off just jumping up to a 10' 8wt for most of the trib fishing around here. Then I could use it as a carp, bass, and sucker rod too, and convert my current 9' 8wt to a streamer setup with a sink tip.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 08:53:12 (permalink)
    a 10ft 6wt would be my choice

the extra ft will give you more leverage/pressure
    I'd think an 8wt would be over kill

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 09:12:06 (permalink)
    KJH807
    a 10ft 6wt would be my choice the extra ft will give you more leverage/pressureI'd think an 8wt would be over kill

I thought about going for a 10' 7wt, but a 6wt is just to light in my experience. Maybe it's just the individual rod, but my 9' 8wt doesn't have much stopping power when a big fish wants to run for a while. I've lost more than one Steelhead in the Manchester hole because one hits and tears a** downstream towards the fast water under the bridge. I try to put the brakes on the fish but ultimately about 50% of the fish I catch that run downstream like that break me off using 7-8# tippet. If you think that the extra 12" of rod will compensate for moving down a weight then maybe I'll try it, but it not I'm sticking to an 8wt, which is also helpful for fishing the NY Tribs for even larger Chromers and Browns.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 09:34:05 (permalink)
    Divemaster

I thought about going for a 10' 7wt, but a 6wt is just to light in my experience. Maybe it's just the individual rod, but my 9' 8wt doesn't have much stopping power when a big fish wants to run for a while. I've lost more than one Steelhead in the Manchester hole because one hits and tears a** downstream towards the fast water under the bridge. I try to put the brakes on the fish but ultimately about 50% of the fish I catch that run downstream like that break me off using 7-8# tippet. If you think that the extra 12" of rod will compensate for moving down a weight then maybe I'll try it, but it not I'm sticking to an 8wt, which is also helpful for fishing the NY Tribs for even larger Chromers and Browns.

- that scenario has nothing to do with your rod.  you clamp down and try to stop a fish that is "tearin ****) you'll break it off

- a heavier wt rod will have less "tippet protection"

fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 09:34:37 (permalink)
    Combat fishing on Walnut - 8 1/2 ft. 8wt. brings in the meat. Regular sized Battenkill reel
    Lower Elk and New York Tribs  - I have an 11 ft. switch that was built in Washington State for fishing the Yakima. Large arbor Kraken reel from Allen Flyfishing I practice two handed casting in a small lake.
    Upper Elk - 10 ft. 7 wt. Reddington - large arbor Battenkill
    Just broke my 9 ft. go-to last night, still grieving. Two inches from the ferrule on the tip section, it was a non expensive Okuma, but I loved it.

Fishmonger
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 10:09:14 (permalink)
    KJH807
    Divemaster

- a heavier wt rod will have less "tippet protection"

That's good to know, I always figured that drag and rod action were the most responsible for tippet protection, but I suppose the overal weight of the rod should have a lot to do with it as well.

Okay then, think I'll go for a 10' 7wt. Anyone have recommendations for a sturdy model that can tame those silver bullets without snapping the tippet to often? Was thinking another large arbor reel for this setup like I have for my 8wt now. My price range is about $400-600 for the rod and reel, something that'll last a few years and not snap randomly a year later on a back cast (my friend has done that with certain mid range and cheaper rods haha).
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 10:25:18 (permalink)
    by WT i mean action... not physical weight
    in a generalization think stiffness

an 8wt will be stiffer (takes more weight to bend) than a 6wt
    that willingness to bend will allow pressure to be removed from the tippet/knots and absorbed by the rod
    add some length and even more rod is available to adsorb stress

yes the reel drag protects... but not if you are clamped down 

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 10:35:00 (permalink)
    Divemaster
    I've lost more than one Steelhead in the Manchester hole because one hits and tears a** downstream towards the fast water under the bridge. I try to put the brakes on the fish but ultimately about 50% of the fish I catch that run downstream like that

Oh my, if you don't like jokes...let's get serious

so, what you describe  sounds an awful lot like 50% of your fish are foul hooked fish

and just watdaf0k good is a switch in  a place like the ManHole with azzhole to elbow anglers??
    are you 

I started with a 10ft 6wt Redfly
    Lt wt, slow rod,(as in limpdik soft/flex the whole shaft.
    I thought it was great (only cause I didn't know what I didn't know)

Found a motherlode of like new rods for cheap  at an estate sale .
    One of them was an Orifis Silver Label Flex tip 9ft 6wt...must faster (stiffer) action  
    Far superior rod for casting and controlling fish ...it was like night and day for me

if you can't roll cast in the Manhole with any rod, you suck worser than me
    and if you feel the headshake (which I'm dubious of on about 50% of your fish) I'm skeptical if you know  how to control a fish

..L.T.A.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 10:40:32 (permalink)
    KJH807
    by WT i mean action... not physical weightin a generalization think stiffness an 8wt will be stiffer (takes more weight to bend) than a 6wtthat willingness to bend will allow pressure to be removed from the tippet/knots and absorbed by the rodadd some length and even more rod is available to adsorb stress yes the reel drag protects... but not if you are clamped down 

Yes I'm aware you meant the weight classification and not the actual weight in ounces, sorry that was poor word choice on my part haha. I really only clamp down the reel when the fish is getting close to the point of no return during a fight, such as heading downstream toward a long series of riffles or swift runs, or when the fish is dangerously close to the lines of others that won't remove them from the water. I prefer to let the rod and reel work the fish but that's not always an option.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 10:44:49 (permalink)
    I have a 11' 8wt that I use on the SR in NY,fought and landed many Kings and Coho with it with no problem.It is a Shufly rod and it is very reasonably priced at around $150.Check it out at Shu Fly.com and see what you think.
    post edited by pafisher - 2016/12/06 10:53:28
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 10:50:24 (permalink)
    genieman77
    Divemaster
    I've lost more than one Steelhead in the Manchester hole because one hits and tears a** downstream towards the fast water under the bridge. I try to put the brakes on the fish but ultimately about 50% of the fish I catch that run downstream like that

Oh my, if you don't like jokes...let's get serious so, what you describe  sounds an awful lot like 50% of your fish are foul hooked fish and just watdaf0k good is a switch in  a place like the ManHole with azzhole to elbow anglers??are you  I started with a 10ft 6wt RedflyLt wt, slow rod,(as in limpdik soft/flex the whole shaft.I thought it was great (only cause I didn't know what I didn't know) Found a motherlode of like new rods for cheap  at an estate sale .One of them was an Orifis Silver Label Flex tip 9ft 6wt...must faster (stiffer) action  Far superior rod for casting and controlling fish ...it was like night and day for me if you can't roll cast in the Manhole with any rod, you suck worser than meand if you feel the headshake (which I'm dubious of on about 50% of your fish) I'm skeptical if you know  how to control a fish ..L.T.A.

Jokes are fine I just hadn't received any answers yet at that point :). As far as foul hooking, about 1/20 hookups for me is an accidental snag and usually I'll break the fish off immediately since I can tell when they're fouled, when I can't even gain an inch of line on them. Nothing disgusts me more than seeing an "angler" standing in front of a pile of fish and tear a giant hook or lure through them, as if nobody notices what they're doing. Those are the people that get a piece of my mind on the creek, even managed to spook off a couple of "thick accented" folks off Twelvemile last month after I could visibly see them snagging, sucks they didn't stick around for the WCO :D. At one point this season before I got my 8wt (pre late September) I was using my 9' 6wt on the Tribs (before it got stolen on my home creek...) and it casted very well, I just never thought it would be strong enough to handle a steelhead when it's already bent in half with 12" pelletheads. And I can roll cast just fine dude, can back cast just as well when there's a few feet behind me too, my 8wt casts fine for anything less than 50' away it just doesn't have the handling capabilities I need. Which really makes me wonder if it's the rod because the 8' 5wt I use for inland trout can bring them (inland fish) in better and faster than my 9' 8wt can when I'm streamer fishing for those same inland trout.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 10:51:55 (permalink)
    pafisher
    I have a 11' 8wt that I use on the SR in NY,fought and landed many Kings and Coho with it with no problem.It is a Shufly rod and it is very reasonably priced at around $150.Google it and see what you think.

I'll look in to that, thanks!
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 10:56:34 (permalink)
    Divemaster
    pafisher
    I have a 11' 8wt that I use on the SR in NY,fought and landed many Kings and Coho with it with no problem.It is a Shufly rod and it is very reasonably priced at around $150.Google it and see what you think.

I'll look in to that, thanks!

They are 4 piece with carrying case,extra buts,and very good quality for the price.If you break it they will replace it.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 11:11:01 (permalink)
    Divemaster
    genieman77
    Divemaster

Oh my, if you don't like jokes...let's get serious so, what you describe  sounds an awful lot like 50% of your fish are foul hooked fish and just watdaf0k good is a switch in  a place like the ManHole with azzhole to elbow anglers??are you  I started with a 10ft 6wt RedflyLt wt, slow rod,(as in limpdik soft/flex the whole shaft.I thought it was great (only cause I didn't know what I didn't know) Found a motherlode of like new rods for cheap  at an estate sale .One of them was an Orifis Silver Label Flex tip 9ft 6wt...must faster (stiffer) action  Far superior rod for casting and controlling fish ...it was like night and day for me if you can't roll cast in the Manhole with any rod, you suck worser than meand if you feel the headshake (which I'm dubious of on about 50% of your fish) I'm skeptical if you know  how to control a fish ..L.T.A.

Jokes are fine I just hadn't received any answers yet at that point :). As far as foul hooking, about 1/20 hookups for me is an accidental snag and usually I'll break the fish off immediately since I can tell when they're fouled, when I can't even gain an inch of line on them. Nothing disgusts me more than seeing an "angler" standing in front of a pile of fish and tear a giant hook or lure through them, as if nobody notices what they're doing. Those are the people that get a piece of my mind on the creek, even managed to spook off a couple of "thick accented" folks off Twelvemile last month after I could visibly see them snagging, sucks they didn't stick around for the WCO :D. At one point this season before I got my 8wt (pre late September) I was using my 9' 6wt on the Tribs (before it got stolen on my home creek...) and it casted very well, I just never thought it would be strong enough to handle a steelhead when it's already bent in half with 12" pelletheads. And I can roll cast just fine dude, can back cast just as well when there's a few feet behind me too, my 8wt casts fine for anything less than 50' away it just doesn't have the handling capabilities I need. Which really makes me wonder if it's the rod because the 8' 5wt I use for inland trout can bring them (inland fish) in better and faster than my 9' 8wt can when I'm streamer fishing for those same inland trout.

not talking about "intentional" linning/lifting/snagging
    lots of "honest to God" ethical anglers are completely clueless their rigs are foul hooking machines .
    Clueless to the underwater currents and boils and what their rig does below the surface

rods....
    let me quote our wise  and traveled friend

"A rod is not magic... it's a tool"

In my world of shooting, training and tactics we have a saying
    "it's the indian, not the arrow"

I don't know the action of the rods you use
    But if one is bending double on a 12" trout, it's a mushy POS no matter how much it cost or who's name is on it.
    Look for a stiffer rod...

..L.T.A.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 11:31:18 (permalink)
    genieman77
    Divemaster
    genieman77
    Divemaster

not talking about "intentional" linning/lifting/snagginglots of "honest to God" ethical anglers are completely clueless their rigs are foul hooking machines .Clueless to the underwater currents and boils and what their rig does below the surface   rods....let me quote our wise  and traveled friend "A rod is not magic... it's a tool"  In my world of shooting, training and tactics we have a saying"it's the indian, not the arrow" I don't know the action of the rods you useBut if one is bending double on a 12" trout, it's a mushy POS no matter how much it cost or who's name is on it.Look for a stiffer rod... ..L.T.A.

Possible, but like I said I can usually tell when they're fouled because they're tail slapping the line and won't stop running. 90% of the time I'm running a standard double rig with an egg pattern on top and a weighted nymph about 4-12" below that with no additional weight on the rig. The other 10% of the time I use a single super-heavy nymph or small bugger and that's it. Works well for me both for steelhead and for inland trout.

And yeah I think my rod is leaning towards "a mushy POS" haha. Time for me to find something stiffer but it will still ultimately wind up being a weight lighter and an extra foot longer LOL. I know my way around a rod of any kind and I've fought many large fish in my angling career so far. I've landed everything from 11 pound Steelhead and Browns to 25 pound Lakers, 14 pound Drum, 21 pound Channel Cats. Not trying to boast, I'm just saying I know very well how to fight fish among all species, but I know that my 8wt is far softer than it should be for steelhead fishing.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 11:38:35 (permalink)
    Oakie doakie...
    sounds like you need to buy a new rod
    (and quit fouling fish in the ManHole)

now your search is at the stores and shops to "feel" the rod in your hand

.L.T.A.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 11:55:11 (permalink)
    genieman77
    Oakie doakie...sounds like you need to buy a new rod(and quit fouling fish in the ManHole) now your search is at the stores and shops to "feel" the rod in your hand   .L.T.A.

Yup, need a trip to field and stream or the Orvis store here this weekend to test some new rods out. And I think a 5% foul rate is pretty good, genie. 50% of the chrome Cemetary fish are just psychos that like to practice their marathon running haha. How do I know? I never fish walnut when I can't at least see the sillhouette of the fish and flies. If they're fouling accidentally then they've got to be jumping in front of the fly seconds before they're hooked, which is certainly possible but sill unlikely. But it hardly matters since I rarely fish that circus anyway, chutes are more my cup of tea, better suited to nymphing and it's much easier to control fish in there.
    Recman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re: Anyone fish with switch rods? 2016/12/06 12:28:26 (permalink)
    I have fly fished with a 9' 8 weight for steelhead. I recently bought a 11'6",7 weight switch rod. The rod was on sale brand new at $59. It casts so much easier and is fun to use. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: