Helpful ReplyTrying something new

Author
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
  • Reward points: 0
2016/11/27 20:08:58 (permalink)

Trying something new

Getting sick of dum stiLhed well not the fish, just the crowdz. For the same distance i can got to the Potomac and fish northern snakehedz in warmer temps. I have experience with canal fishing them im florida, what im asking is whats the best section of the river to target them (got kayak will paddle) if anyone has experience on that river.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/27 20:34:13 (permalink)
River Monster animal planet had a special on Snakeheads today.They look like real mean.
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/27 21:08:18 (permalink)
Big Tuna
River Monster animal planet had a special on Snakeheads today.They look like real mean.

I fished in canals in florida for them like he did except on the bank. They are a blast on topwaters highly aggressive will chase your lure clean out of the water dam near. Just gotta watch the teeth when you handle them.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
nerka
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 127
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/27 22:16:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Gaito81 2016/12/26 01:45:19
yep       try bowfin in the geneva swamp  close as u can get to snakeheads
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/27 22:18:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby genieman77 2016/11/28 09:30:20
There is a lot of territory to cover, I have heard local rumors from the 301 bridge area (near Dahlgren Weapons Lab) to down near Piney Point. We fished around Piney Point but usually for rockfish, flounder or croaker, so not the same waters you would find snake heads most likely. 
 If they like brackish and marshy I would investigate around Allens Fresh, which is at the top of the Wicomico River, there are numerous other backwaters along the eastern (Maryland) shore of the Potomac. Compton sits between 2 larger backwaters that could provide you some yak waters. If you are searching further south around Pax River Naval Station area, Piney Point let me know...I have family in the area and may be able to get some more local info. 
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/28 05:18:34 (permalink)
Stillhedz are gonna miss them green egg sackz mt man

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/28 09:01:09 (permalink)
If ya catch em, ya gotta kill em. So ya gotta be ropin and smokin, hookin and cookin. 

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/28 09:58:19 (permalink)
johnthefisherman
If ya catch em, ya gotta kill em. So ya gotta be ropin and smokin, hookin and cookin

Maay'an, the internz is a great thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakehead_%28fish%29

Snakeheads are considered valuable food fish. Called nga yant in Burmese, it is a prized fish eaten in a variety of ways. In Vietnam, they are called ca loc, ca qua, or ca chuoi; it is prized in clay pot dishes and pickled preparations. Larger species, such as Channa striata, Channa maculata, and Parachanna obscura, are farmed in aquaculture. In the United States, chefs have suggested controlling the snakehead invasion by serving them in restaurants.[26] In Indonesia, snakehead fish are called ikan gabus, served as the main parts of traditional dishes such as Betawi's pucung gabus, and considered to be a delicacy due to their rarity in wild and aquaculture, as they are harder to raise than other popular freshwater fish such as catfish and carp.

.................................................................................................................................................................................

bUrbot with tEEf..........

..L.T.A.

Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/28 10:07:33 (permalink)
nerka

+1

Bowfin are just as fun and native, plus they're probably closer to the OP than the Potomac, I'd guess.
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/28 10:50:02 (permalink)
genieman77
johnthefisherman
If ya catch em, ya gotta kill em. So ya gotta be ropin and smokin, hookin and cookin

Maay'an, the internz is a great thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakehead_%28fish%29

Snakeheads are considered valuable food fish. Called nga yant in Burmese, it is a prized fish eaten in a variety of ways. In Vietnam, they are called ca loc, ca qua, or ca chuoi; it is prized in clay pot dishes and pickled preparations. Larger species, such as Channa striata, Channa maculata, and Parachanna obscura, are farmed in aquaculture. In the United States, chefs have suggested controlling the snakehead invasion by serving them in restaurants.[26] In Indonesia, snakehead fish are called ikan gabus, served as the main parts of traditional dishes such as Betawi's pucung gabus, and considered to be a delicacy due to their rarity in wild and aquaculture, as they are harder to raise than other popular freshwater fish such as catfish and carp.

.................................................................................................................................................................................

bUrbot with tEEf..........

..L.T.A.

Ya don't say.

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/Pages/snakehead.aspx

"If you catch a northern snakehead, kill it and DO NOT put it back in the water. If the snakehead has a tag, measure the length, make note of the exact location of capture, and call the toll free number printed on the tag. Information that you provide is important in determining control and management strategies."

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Mountian Man
Pro Angler
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/29 12:58:42 (permalink)
nerka

Bowfins and snakeheads are different beast in my opinion. Caught my fair share of hogish bowfins but they arent as aggressive as snakehedz

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/29 13:00:04 (permalink)
Fisherlady2
There is a lot of territory to cover, I have heard local rumors from the 301 bridge area (near Dahlgren Weapons Lab) to down near Piney Point. We fished around Piney Point but usually for rockfish, flounder or croaker, so not the same waters you would find snake heads most likely.  If they like brackish and marshy I would investigate around Allens Fresh, which is at the top of the Wicomico River, there are numerous other backwaters along the eastern (Maryland) shore of the Potomac. Compton sits between 2 larger backwaters that could provide you some yak waters. If you are searching further south around Pax River Naval Station area, Piney Point let me know...I have family in the area and may be able to get some more local info. 

Thanx for the helpa.:)

They thrive in 1-3' water clogged with weeds

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/29 13:05:42 (permalink)
fishfashfush
Stillhedz are gonna miss them green egg sackz mt man

Snakhed skein next great bait of ere

PS snakhedz are excellent eating, Kinda like catfish just gotta cut a line of small y bones out.
post edited by Mountian Man - 2016/11/29 13:08:05

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/29 16:17:50 (permalink)
Mountian Man
nerka

Bowfins and snakeheads are different beast in my opinion. Caught my fair share of hogish bowfins but they arent as aggressive as snakehedz

burbot, bowfin, snakehedz....they all look alike to me ....

..L.T.A.
nerka
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 127
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/29 16:40:41 (permalink)
lean the bowfin soon as possible there meat becomes mushy quick if you dont  fillet them and cook them rite away
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/29 17:45:45 (permalink)
Which way do they curl up on the bank ???

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/29 21:12:33 (permalink)
Big Tuna

Yea but they look like a blast fishing top water!!!! I always wanted to shoot those asian carp with a shotgun out of a boat too

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: Trying something new 2016/11/29 21:24:40 (permalink)
fishfashfush
Big TunaRiver Monster animal planet had a special on Snakeheads today.They look like real mean.

Yea but they look like a blast fishing top water!!!! I always wanted to shoot those asian carp with a shotgun out of a boat too

If you want a real challenge then try flossing 'em with trebles in mid jump. That's the "Erie Steelhead Method", in case you've never seen guys fish the waterfall hole :).
Flyguy638
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 328
Re: Trying something new 2016/12/10 08:56:31 (permalink)
Got a little nervous when I read your topic header, Trying something new :)
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
Re: Trying something new 2016/12/11 16:51:03 (permalink)
bingsbaits
Which way do they curl up on the bank ??? 

On concrete or grazz? Lol

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Trying something new 2016/12/12 09:55:58 (permalink)
Concrete, who would lay a fish on sharp grass.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Mountian Man
Pro Angler
Re: Trying something new 2016/12/16 08:38:04 (permalink)
bingsbaits
Concrete, who would lay a fish on sharp grass. 

Plan on laying it on my lap in the kayak duUD

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9658
Re: Trying something new 2016/12/16 10:23:48 (permalink)
I'm not sure if you are serious or not, but here you go.  I hear the DC area is a hot spot for them.  When I lived down that way, prior to snakeheads, I used to striper fish some of the tidal inlets.  There is one right behind Reagan National Airport, called Gravelly Point Park.  It was a 5 minute drive from my apartment, so fished it a good bit when I knew the stripers were running.  There is a boat launch there, I'd usually fish behind the launch, by the GW Parkway bridges.  Other side of the park way is a tidal basin that likely is a good snake head hide out (be careful crossing the road...).  Although, unless you have a kayak or small boat, not much access.  Up stream about a mile from there is the Columbia Island Marina.  A bit more shore access in the tidal basin.  I've fished there a few times, but the parking lot seemed like some sort of lonely guy pick up area...  I figured the fishing wasn't worth seeing anything that I didn't want to see or any unwanted advances.  Getting south of town a bit, I fished an area once that likely holds some snake heads.  Dyke Marsh Wildlife Preserve.  I also fished right by Mt. Vernon, where a creek enters the river (Riverside Park).  Didn't do very well there.  Both were relatively limited shore access and a pain to get to with local traffic.  If you want to combine a striper trip, go during the shad run in the spring.  It usually coincides with the cherry blossoms.  Make sure you have the correct licenses, the man is usually out a good bit.  Get a throw net, and toss a live shad on.  One of the better places for larger stripers was under the Wilson Bridge, at Jones Point.  They seemed to like the bridge pilings, although a new bridge from when I was there, so could have changed the fishing a bit.  Fletcher's Boathouse was also a hot spot, and about the only DC fishing resource that I knew of back then.  If heading in that direction, give them a call.  They might know some inside scoop on snake heads in that area.  The river gets kind of narrow and swift up there, so not sure if snakehead territory.  If they happen to go upstream to spawn, they likely don't make it past the rapids.  That seems to be a nice pinch point for the stripers.  There are also a lot of small streams and other stuff between there and the canal, so might be where they'd like to hang out.  I don't know anything about them.

http://www.fletcherscove.com/index.html
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
Re: Trying something new 2016/12/16 16:05:33 (permalink)
Porktown
I'm not sure if you are serious or not, but here you go.  I hear the DC area is a hot spot for them.  When I lived down that way, prior to snakeheads, I used to striper fish some of the tidal inlets.  There is one right behind Reagan National Airport, called Gravelly Point Park.  It was a 5 minute drive from my apartment, so fished it a good bit when I knew the stripers were running.  There is a boat launch there, I'd usually fish behind the launch, by the GW Parkway bridges.  Other side of the park way is a tidal basin that likely is a good snake head hide out (be careful crossing the road...).  Although, unless you have a kayak or small boat, not much access.  Up stream about a mile from there is the Columbia Island Marina.  A bit more shore access in the tidal basin.  I've fished there a few times, but the parking lot seemed like some sort of lonely guy pick up area...  I figured the fishing wasn't worth seeing anything that I didn't want to see or any unwanted advances.  Getting south of town a bit, I fished an area once that likely holds some snake heads.  Dyke Marsh Wildlife Preserve.  I also fished right by Mt. Vernon, where a creek enters the river (Riverside Park).  Didn't do very well there.  Both were relatively limited shore access and a pain to get to with local traffic.  If you want to combine a striper trip, go during the shad run in the spring.  It usually coincides with the cherry blossoms.  Make sure you have the correct licenses, the man is usually out a good bit.  Get a throw net, and toss a live shad on.  One of the better places for larger stripers was under the Wilson Bridge, at Jones Point.  They seemed to like the bridge pilings, although a new bridge from when I was there, so could have changed the fishing a bit.  Fletcher's Boathouse was also a hot spot, and about the only DC fishing resource that I knew of back then.  If heading in that direction, give them a call.  They might know some inside scoop on snake heads in that area.  The river gets kind of narrow and swift up there, so not sure if snakehead territory.  If they happen to go upstream to spawn, they likely don't make it past the rapids.  That seems to be a nice pinch point for the stripers.  There are also a lot of small streams and other stuff between there and the canal, so might be where they'd like to hang out.  I don't know anything about them. http://www.fletcherscove.com/index.html

Im being serious duUD. I dig exotics, florida canals had peacock bass, snakeheads, pacu, pirahna all sorts of cool chit. Plan on taking the yak, they tend to like weed choked 1-4' calmish water. Trying to avoid the DC area i fished the basin before doesnt fit the bill for snakeheads imo.

Thanks for the info ill check the area maps of those creeks and see if anything pops up i think would be worth wild.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9658
Re: Trying something new 2016/12/16 16:56:58 (permalink)

You're likely in for a long drive, if avoiding DC.  Not sure if Point Lookout holds any snakeheads, but a pretty relaxed area.  It's at the end of that peninsula, at the confluence of the Potomac and Chesapeake.  Good place to striper fish.  It might have too high salinity there for snakeheads?  Can get bluefish, flounder, white perch, ect. there. 

I'd like to check out those Florida canals.  I have a cousin in Deerfield Beach.  I'm pretty sure the northern edge of the peacock bass.  I'd be stuck to the beach there though, with how close the gulfstream is.  They catch billfish within sight of the beach there.  Huge Jack Crevalle and slammer bluefish are pretty common from the beach.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3335
Re: Trying something new 2016/12/16 18:43:01 (permalink)
Son caught bunch SnakeHeads Bassfishin' the Potomac River. in D.C.

crappy
Wild John
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 131
Re: Trying something new 2017/01/10 20:30:01 (permalink)
Mattawoman Cr! Launch in Indian Head. Got some good intel last year. Haven't done it (yet) but I've been planning for next June.
Jump to: