Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish

Author
Smallsac
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
  • Reward points: 0
2016/11/21 07:41:47 (permalink)

Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish

Can someone help me understand a bait question?  Emeralds are a very effective at catching steelhead, hard to go to any Erie trib and not find someone using.  However, I have never seen anyone using them or any type of live minnow on Lake Ontario tribs (Salmon River & Oswego).  Any idea why?  Whats the story with them in Ohio?

17 Replies Related Threads

jat1007
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2016/11/21 08:20:43 (permalink)
    maybe because ppl just focus on the egg patterns bc the kings are in there.... and i know laws in ny are more strict on transporting bait fish... you have to have a receipt on you to show where you got your minnows if you have them... i think

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2016/11/21 09:22:47 (permalink)
    Seems like Emeralds are not as abundant in Lake Ontario as they are in Lake Erie. Ontario's current primary forage species is the Alewife Shad, among smaller numbers of Shiners, Smelt, and Ciscos. Erie's forage base, on the other hand, is primarily Shiners with good numbers of Smelt as well.
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2016/11/21 09:57:20 (permalink)
    I tried minnows in SRNY thinking the same thing.
    What I learned is those waters are full of chubs(big ones) and small salmonoids that annoyed me most the time tried it 1 day never again.
    Ditches here do not have much but steel in em...WCW
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2016/11/21 10:03:57 (permalink)
    workcanwait....
    I tried minnows in SRNY thinking the same thing.What I learned is those waters are full of chubs(big ones) and small salmonoids that annoyed me most the time tried it 1 day never again.Ditches here do not have much but steel in em...WCW

Lot of big Luxilis Shiners in NY, but they're fun on light tackle. Ever been to Erie Tribs in the summer, some spots are loaded with River Chubs and Common Shiners.
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2016/11/21 10:33:36 (permalink)
    Yeah I have encountered chubs in erie ditchs but nothing like the numbers up there and lots of smolt size salmonois of all types.
    Same problem with flies in summer up there...there are some nice resident trout in SRNY but the lil ones attacked flies b4 they could get it.
    You don't wanna believe me try it yourself ...
    WCW
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2016/11/21 10:39:37 (permalink)
    workcanwait....
    Yeah I have encountered chubs in erie ditchs but nothing like the numbers up there and lots of smolt size salmonois of all types.Same problem with flies in summer up there...there are some nice resident trout in SRNY but the lil ones attacked flies b4 they could get it.You don't wanna believe me try it yourself ...WCW

I believe you, just saying they're everywhere. Though I'd imagine smolts would be more a problem in NY since they stock multiple species that stay in the Tribs until various times. I do love fly fishing for micros though, Brookies, Chubs, Shiners, Minnows, Dace, Sculpins, Darters, so make sure you guard your chub holes!
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2016/11/24 10:22:49 (permalink)
    I've caught NY Steelhead, Coho, and Browns on minnows ....they work!
    Part of the problem is finding good bait or minnows in NY. Most shops don't carry any late into the season.

Due to the VHS virus or disease you cannot transport Pa. bait into NY.
    You also must carry that receipt from your bait shop while fishing with minnows in NY.
    We had to stop in Dunkirk to buy minnows years ago then head northeast to Ontario creeks.

They work but not as well as other choices, but then again never had them as much to try years ago. Lakers love those big Spotted minnows, never tried them in the creeks .
    Tracker12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 174
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2016/12/31 21:36:16 (permalink)
    Last year when I was on Oak Orchard there was a guy killing the steelies on Berkley power minnows on a jig head.  
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2017/01/01 00:54:38 (permalink)
    Tracker12
    Last year when I was on Oak Orchard there was a guy killing the steelies on Berkley power minnows on a jig head.  

i watched a duud crush 'em on a Banjo minnow .
    Gin clear, no flow , fish were coming from 30ft away to take

Whats the story with them in Ohio?

don't know what the regs are now, but anglers use minnows here .
    Back in the olden days when I often brought minnows to the creek, large size flatheads and 3" shiners(?) were the best .
    Never seen emeralds at bait shops in Erie that were very large.
    I found the bigger the minnow, the better the bite rates

..L.T.A.
    nerka
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2017/01/01 06:20:45 (permalink)
    Tracker12

ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Dan Morey
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2017/01/04 17:15:02 (permalink)
    Brock, you can take PA bait into NY now, as long as it's certified. Just checked that with the DEC for ice fishing. No store bought frozen smelt though, which is fine in PA!
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2017/01/04 18:05:58 (permalink)
    Ok Dan , it's been about 3 years or so since I've fished NY. I would bet you still need to have your receipt of sales on you if you did take live minnows there. Like I said I had luck using minnows up there in the past but other baits and methods usually worked better.
    Dan Morey
    Novice Angler
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2017/01/04 18:26:06 (permalink)
    Yep, you need the receipt with the name of the selling vendor, date sold, species of fish sold, and quantity of fish sold. And it's only good for ten days. 
    post edited by Dan Morey - 2017/01/04 20:27:03
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2017/01/04 19:09:30 (permalink)
    Good info to know and pass along. 
    Just like Erie and even worse the NY crowds have multiplied 10 times over from years past.
    Even the shorelines of the Niagara have filled to packed numbers. I'm just to the point that it's just not worth the trouble for the cost of traveling and staying a few days. I don't mind a challenge or competition, but when you can't move up or down on a waterway while you're fishing due to crowds, I just can't enjoy that. Anymore your locked into one spot all day! I always enjoyed moving up or down on rivers and creeks in the past, so I just pass on the congested areas or don't go at all. 

Never see this place empty like this in prime season anymore! Good old NY days ............

Dan Morey
    Novice Angler
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2017/01/04 20:37:31 (permalink)
    Come out to Chautauqua or Findley for the ice fishing...plenty o' room! This arctic blast should firm things up. Might try the Cassadagas this year too.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2017/01/04 20:51:53 (permalink)
    Thanks, but the only ice I enjoy is in my rum & coke ! lol....
    nerka
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re: Emerald Shiners/minnow Great Lakes baitfish 2017/01/04 23:35:49 (permalink)
    lol lol meee toooo
    Jump to: