Author
Smallsac
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
  • Reward points: 0
2016/11/20 09:15:07 (permalink)

Recent post.

Below was posted on the reports page.

Took a group of 40 new anglers and fished elk from the tunnels, to the mouth with little success. We had one landed and two other hook ups but that was it. We did see small pods of fish near the waterfall. Not many others out fishing although a local guy landed 3 at the mouth. Its tough fishing at Elk this year. The fish just aren't there like they used to be...but there are some fish without the crowds. Overall we had a great day on the stream with a fantastic group of folks.

Could you imagine being that one guy fishing when the bus pulled in........

18 Replies Related Threads

nerka
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 09:18:02 (permalink)
    i just read that lmao lmao   yeah he be like  wtf  and reeled in and left lmao   40 lol lol  maybe a typo there lol?????
    Smallsac
    Avid Angler
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 09:45:16 (permalink)
    I'd seriously start looking around for the hidden camera; that's one hell of bad day for that guy.  lol
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 10:32:56 (permalink)
    Haha bad day gone worse, man i hope that was a typo there's already enough dissatisfied people fishing them tribs.. we dont need 39 more lol

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    Smallsac
    Avid Angler
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 10:39:06 (permalink)
    One landed two other hook ups/40 people=37 that wont make a return trip.
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 11:22:55 (permalink)
    How do u lie to 40 people about it being worth going lol surely someone had to know there are isnt enough fish to keep a tight knit group entertained all day

Indiana_Bob
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 11:52:54 (permalink)
    fishfashfush
    How do u lie to 40 people about it being worth going lol surely someone had to know there are isnt enough fish to keep a tight knit group entertained all day

Who knows what these people expected. Maybe they just wanted to visit the streams... Maybe they wanted to just get out of the house.. It's funny how people on this site know what other people's expectations are. Or maybe you have no clue what you are doing on the streams and others are catching more than enough steelhead to keep them happy!!
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 12:09:39 (permalink)
    lol its just when i think of this i think of a big organized group bus rolling up. But in the grand scheme its maybe 10 vehicles ( give or take) ive seen more boats on trailers than that roll up to the marina in an organized precession at one time. so yea that's really not a lot but if they dont spread out over the county and its one united 40 man blob moving around lower elk thats a little nuts, they surely ran people out of holes, i seen it plenty of times with just a group of 5-10 guys taking over a hole crowding people out. Just the other day a group of about 8 center pinnin russians ran three guys out of a hole it seemed almost organized how they worked, one guy kept crossing them 3 every cast while the others took advantage of long drifts. Then when those 3 left they swooped in on their spots on the opposite side and all had long drifts then.

Smallsac
    Avid Angler
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 12:59:40 (permalink)
    fishfashfush
    lol its just when i think of this i think of a big organized group bus rolling up. But in the grand scheme its maybe 10 vehicles ( give or take) ive seen more boats on trailers than that roll up to the marina in an organized precession at one time. so yea that's really not a lot but if they dont spread out over the county and its one united 40 man blob moving around lower elk thats a little nuts, they surely ran people out of holes, i seen it plenty of times with just a group of 5-10 guys taking over a hole crowding people out. Just the other day a group of about 8 center pinnin russians ran three guys out of a hole it seemed almost organized how they worked, one guy kept crossing them 3 every cast while the others took advantage of long drifts. Then when those 3 left they swooped in on their spots on the opposite side and all had long drifts then.

Wow, didn't know they knew how to use any other method, other than 2 #5 split shots 4' above a yarn fly
    Smallsac
    Avid Angler
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 13:02:51 (permalink)
    Just looked at dudes profile, appears to be a Reverend (real steelhead Jesus), organized church group.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 14:26:38 (permalink)
    Smallsac
    Just looked at dudes profile, appears to be a Reverend (real steelhead Jesus), organized church group.

Welp....I talked to God
    and He said He was reel  disappointed in how some of youinz wuz bein' mEEn

..L.T.A.
    Smallsac
    Avid Angler
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 16:55:03 (permalink)
    Do worry, he will get even, always does.......I'll be surrounded by 8 first timers, that don't know how to cast on my next trip...
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 17:58:21 (permalink)
    Waaaayyyy back, maybe '89 or '90, a friend of my dad's talked us into hopping on a charter bus to Elk Creek that was sponsored by Westmoreland County Parks and hosted by the late Wyndle Watson, the great outdoors writer of the Pittsburgh Press.  We parked and fished at the Elk Access area.  

I was 15 or 16, my dad knew very little about trout fishing, let alone steelhead, but we went.  I think it was December maybe, and it was the coldest I've ever been in my life.  We wore knee high rubber boots made for slopping concrete with no insulation in 'em and used like 15 lb test with no leader and like size 4 or 6 treble hooks with egg sacs we tied with jarred salmon eggs and my mom's old stockings.  Looking back, I could see how we may have been mistaken for Russian snaggers.  

It was not a very fun introduction to steelhead fishing.  Other than those of us on the bus, I don't recall it being very crowded.  

Indiana_Bob
    Avid Angler
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 18:04:46 (permalink)
    rsquared
    Waaaayyyy back, maybe '89 or '90, a friend of my dad's talked us into hopping on a charter bus to Elk Creek that was sponsored by Westmoreland County Parks and hosted by the late Wyndle Watson, the great outdoors writer of the Pittsburgh Press.  We parked and fished at the Elk Access area.   I was 15 or 16, my dad knew very little about trout fishing, let alone steelhead, but we went.  I think it was December maybe, and it was the coldest I've ever been in my life.  We wore knee high rubber boots made for slopping concrete with no insulation in 'em and used like 15 lb test with no leader and like size 4 or 6 treble hooks with egg sacs we tied with jarred salmon eggs and my mom's old stockings.  Looking back, I could see how we may have been mistaken for Russian snaggers.   It was not a very fun introduction to steelhead fishing.  Other than those of us on the bus, I don't recall it being very crowded.    

Hahaha.. Wyndle... Biggest joke in outdoors reporting. He was getting paid by certain folks in Erie to report EPIC STEELHEAD fishing in each report...

I remember fishing for small mouths in Elk early May in the 90's. More than a few people pulled into the access looking for this phenomenal fishing that Mr Watson had reported that week. Let's say you had just as much of a chance to catch a Tiger Shark as a Steelhead that week
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 18:10:48 (permalink)
    I don't recall his fishing reports, but as a youngster cutting my teeth in the outdoors, I looked forward to his hunting articles on Sundays in the fall.  My dad wasn't too serious about or skilled at hunting and fishing, though he took me to do both often.  I had a voracious appetite to read what I could, and with no interwebs back then, I looked forward to his columns and the monthly PA Game News.  

Indiana_Bob
    Avid Angler
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 18:19:52 (permalink)
    rsquared
    I don't recall his fishing reports, but as a youngster cutting my teeth in the outdoors, I looked forward to his hunting articles on Sundays in the fall.  My dad wasn't too serious about or skilled at hunting and fishing, though he took me to do both often.  I had a voracious appetite to read what I could, and with no interwebs back then, I looked forward to his columns and the monthly PA Game News.      

Post Gazette had a weekly fishing report and was grossly exaggerated on the Erie reports. I'll never forget that weeks report, believe it was 93'.. lower elk was loaded with big smallmouth. Not with steelhead
    post edited by Indiana_Bob - 2016/11/20 18:33:21
    SteelCityAngler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 20:46:40 (permalink)
    John Hayes from the Post Gazette organizes this every year. A bus trip from Pittsburgh. My coworker went a few years ago and was the only one out of ~30 people to land a fish. Elk access.
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 20:56:00 (permalink)
    The access area near Uncle Johns has been very hit or miss the past few years, I remember seeing the hole along that shale wall, and the area just below the tunnel, having so many fish that they would bounce off of each other, and you had to be careful not to snag them. The last time I recall this happening was 2011. 

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

nerka
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re: Recent post. 2016/11/20 21:04:35 (permalink)
    your rite john.........  good ole dayz...
    Jump to: