Helpful ReplyRecent Post from East Side Angler

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
steel whisperer
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/09 09:59:31 (permalink)
I have stumbled upon a campsite that I haven't seen in previous years on a obstacle on upper 20 mile. Pretty sure its a snagger camp. saw 3 Bosnians lingering around it longer then normal without fishing while I fished below them. Each had 3 on a stringer and didn't really fish while I was in the area. I did land a few of the fish in the run below with 2 having size 10 treble hooks in them. Not confirming but way too many coincidences for me to think otherwise. The next day I sent a buddy to that area and he claimed he saw 2 fish after 25-30 day prior. I do realize fish on 20 climb much faster then most of the other tribs due to the gradient and faster water but not to find any further upstream.... 

Fishing is one jerk waiting for another on the other end.
jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/09 10:18:31 (permalink)
this is not good....
can trump fix it???.....

Indiana_Bob
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/09 12:07:40 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Remember that's one time they got caught .....what about the dozens they didn't !

this pales in comparison to the amount of steelhead that left the streams daily on a rope from mid 90s and beyond.   How many of those fish were thrown in the garbage?  I bet its a good amount that were wasted...
post edited by Indiana_Bob - 2016/11/09 12:38:50
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/09 13:08:42 (permalink)
Why does everybody feel that when people take Trout home they throw them away later?
Is it because some don't like the taste ?

When I kept fish years ago I never tossed one away, and I kept plenty . Guys I worked with would almost fight at getting some smoked Steelhead I brought in. I brought it to Christmas parties and it was the rave !

Seems Poor Richards hasn't slowed down on his trade off business of Smoked Trout !
Matter of fact it's gotten even bigger over the years so I doubt many Steelhead are wasted.  
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/10 10:56:20 (permalink)
Today, their report starts with "Houston, we have a problem."

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

wilbur_83
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/10 12:56:04 (permalink)
6lb stellie
I have stumbled upon a campsite that I haven't seen in previous years on a obstacle on upper 20 mile. Pretty sure its a snagger camp. saw 3 Bosnians lingering around it longer then normal without fishing while I fished below them. Each had 3 on a stringer and didn't really fish while I was in the area. I did land a few of the fish in the run below with 2 having size 10 treble hooks in them. Not confirming but way too many coincidences for me to think otherwise. The next day I sent a buddy to that area and he claimed he saw 2 fish after 25-30 day prior. I do realize fish on 20 climb much faster then most of the other tribs due to the gradient and faster water but not to find any further upstream.... 

I saw that on monday...no one was home when I went past...and it looked as if no one had been in a while...I did poke around a little...there was a small children's chair...and a trash can with trash in it...(why would snaggers care about where they throw their trash?)....prolly no more than someone's summer camp spot...It was hot this summer and if I lived close - I'd be down there taking a dip myself...
never laid eyes on a fish though...
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9658
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/10 14:59:05 (permalink)
jat1007
this is not good....
can trump fix it???.....

Already being asked to fix things that are clearly Obama's fault!
jat1007
Avid Angler
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/10 16:08:04 (permalink)
Porktown
jat1007
this is not good....
can trump fix it???.....

Already being asked to fix things that are clearly Obama's fault!

Smallsac
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 04:19:13 (permalink)
Easiest way for him to find out why/how/if the fish are disappearing....Trailcam.
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 08:16:59 (permalink)
KJH807
- Funny that a place the promotes the mass remove of fish from glorified puddles for profit, can't look into the mirror to see they may be the a contributing factor to low fish numbers... i guess its easier to blame to boogieman in the night

exactly

jat1007
can trump fix it???.....

Build a wall around a few select countries, and across rt 79 with thorough background checks. 'Mupheres gotta give up one yellow rope to pass through!
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 09:07:46 (permalink)
Being old school on this site I can tell you this much and you can blame anybody you want.
Fact there are less fish showing up into the creeks along Erie shorelines.
There are also more fishermen in "some areas" not all !
Trout Run was more crowded years ago then now, and yet it always held mass amounts of fish! For weeks and months !
I seen many a day when hundreds of fish were kept in one day !
Remember the lake limit was 5 in those days .
Day after day limits were carted out of Trout Run and the Marina constantly ! They had to put dumpsters in because of the mess from people and fish!

Where are the fish at now ?

The mouth or Access of Elk has always been packed with fishermen up one side down the other plus boats and all kept 3 fish daily! Black with fish for weeks!
Remember in those days catch and release was hardly practiced as compared to now days.

Where are they now ? 

You can blame the ropers all you want (I'm not one ) but that's not the problem. Those numbers are not there from the lake from the word go. There were tons of ropers in the 80's and 90's yet fishing stayed good because the fish were there ! I still blame the major cut backs in stocking, just and old guy's opinion that fished Erie since 1971.      
jat1007
Avid Angler
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 10:20:31 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Being old school on this site I can tell you this much and you can blame anybody you want.
Fact there are less fish showing up into the creeks along Erie shorelines.
There are also more fishermen in "some areas" not all !
Trout Run was more crowded years ago then now, and yet it always held mass amounts of fish! For weeks and months !
I seen many a day when hundreds of fish were kept in one day !
Remember the lake limit was 5 in those days .
Day after day limits were carted out of Trout Run and the Marina constantly ! They had to put dumpsters in because of the mess from people and fish!

Where are the fish at now ?

The mouth or Access of Elk has always been packed with fishermen up one side down the other plus boats and all kept 3 fish daily! Black with fish for weeks!
Remember in those days catch and release was hardly practiced as compared to now days.

Where are they now ? 

You can blame the ropers all you want (I'm not one ) but that's not the problem. Those numbers are not there from the lake from the word go. There were tons of ropers in the 80's and 90's yet fishing stayed good because the fish were there ! I still blame the major cut backs in stocking, just and old guy's opinion that fished Erie since 1971.      

captain, you're probably right.... i wonder if low bait fish numbers in the lake due to the exceptionally cold winters two years ago, sea lampreys in the lake play a role also... not sure how long it takes for fish to die after being attacked but i know survival rates after being attacked are LOW... and walleyes mauling the smolts too... low stocking numbers certainly don't help.... wonder how many get netted in the lake by commercial fisherman?

in my opinion it was terrible about 5-6 years ago and SLOWLY been getting better each year.... i missed out on the glory days of all fishing seems like fishing EVERYWHERE for different species is on the steady decline... loss of spawning grounds due to sediment  from development of surrounding areas, building of dams, water diversion, pollution due to run off... could probably make a long list.... 

how many fish get stocked into the tiny west side tribs? or "adult trout" in approved trout waters that we know the majority of fish die and the waters don't get fished.... is it worth continuing to stock them? maybe put those fish into the bigger tribs  and more sustainable bodies of water and focus on long term efforts?...

nerka
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 127
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 10:32:31 (permalink)
captain   spot on ........ i seen it too   heck we probably crossed paths  at some times  longtime steel chaser here....kept telling people  back then   ...dont get used to this   its not normal ......
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 10:39:27 (permalink)
'member when there were lots of steel in the creeks?

I 'member 

Pro Staff:

PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 10:44:34 (permalink)
johnthefisherman

I 'member 

Remember when there were cricks...not just filled in holes

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 10:44:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby KJH807 2016/11/11 10:56:53
jat1007
Avid Angler
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 10:54:58 (permalink)
johnthefisherman

I 'member 

member berries are real

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 11:00:03 (permalink)

Pro Staff:

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 11:18:30 (permalink)
I'm not saying keeping fish doesn't hurt , it does when there are no more coming in. That's the problem, seems there are not much more coming in after the first major Fall run. It isn't that people are keeping them they just aren't returning like the past. No sense fighting with those that do they aren't the full blame.  

We had a hole on Elk we called the "Big Hole" back in the 80's above I-90. We pounded those Steelies steady and many a day 3-4 of us took home limits daily not to mention others that fished there. I even said this hole has to be fished out with all the fish taken out. The next rain would come and bingo 70-80 fish back in the hole ! We would shore fish Trout Run in late November and still catch Steelhead ! Not as many as earlier months but still catch fish.

Remember Trout Run and the Lake use to be an 8 fish limit. Then it went to a 5 fish limit. Then it went to a 3 fish limit. One use to keep 8 stocked Trout now it's 5. Every time there are cut backs in limits it seems the stocking numbers go way down also and the Trout fishing worsens. Better hope Erie doesn't go to a one fish limit ! 

Nerka, I'm sure we fished close by somewhere ! 

Pooflinger , your right they had steady higher flow in the earlier years. Most colder months you couldn't sight fish Elk it was always high and slightly colored. Fish were scattered good.

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 12:16:33 (permalink)
A$ long as the ca$h keep$ flowing into PFBC coffer$ from the $teelhead program, the PFBC will continue to not care about many of the$e i$$ues.  

PFBC has largely been publicly silent on these concerns about snagging and declining returns.  

Obviously, this thread started as a discussion on illegal activity.  I'm sure the WCO's and DWCO's bust their butts, but most on here seem to be in agreement that overall law enforcement on the tribs is severely lacking.  

The company line is that the same numbers are being stocked.  Opinions here from seasoned vets seem to indicate otherwise.  

Access is down while pressure is up.  

troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 13:08:03 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
I'm not saying keeping fish doesn't hurt , it does when there are no more coming in. That's the problem, seems there are not much more coming in after the first major Fall run. It isn't that people are keeping them they just aren't returning like the past. No sense fighting with those that do they aren't the full blame.  

I agree.

The ropers and poachers aren't to blame for the poor numbers coming into the creeks. Though, when there's no more new fish coming in(or less frequent runs of new fish) then they definitely play a huge role in the number of fish that stay in the creeks.

Lowering the limit won't cause more numbers to run, but it will keep fish in the creek that are already there. Simple mathematics. Check a popular opening day hole after a couple weeks on our many inland streams....yinz get the point.

XYZ Mile Creek with a barrier near the mouth may get a push of, say, 100 fish. That's great. But a busy weekend, or a busy night for the poachers, can really thin the numbers. Ok, fine.......all will be well since another nice run of fish will happen the next night and there will be plenty more fish to be caught. But that just isn't happening like Capt. Hook said.... 

No/few new fish to replace what are being taken out(which is a lot).

Short term solution is to lower the limit. If it means catching a few more fish with a hook wound......ok. But better than no fish. There's a much bigger reason why fish aren't entering the creeks, or not surviving the journey out to the lake and their first year(or more) in the lake. What's the solution for that, I'm not sure anybody really knows. Lower stocking numbers may be a factor even if the PFBC website says numbers are still big. IF stocking numbers are the same.....yeah, something is up in the lake.

But we must remember that these steelbows aren't native in the first place. So in the grand scheme of things, even though we may get worked up about their numbers, we should view them more as a bonus and not take them for granted. They're cool and very fun to catch. One of my favorite fish. Decreasing numbers really suck, but steelhead numbers going down is less of an issue than a wild, native population of something else declining, in my opinion. Just wait until the bighead and silver carp get here.

The steelhead numbers we have now are much more realistic. But not when comparing to the amount of people. The people to fish/water ratio is too dang high.
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 14:45:48 (permalink)
Yes i feel like at this point this horsey has been beat so bad.. its been dead for a few years now but everyone seems to feel the need to kick its pile of bones every time fall comes around lol... back to the main topic i do feel East end does exaggerate their reports.. poor richards has no need to... they know they are getting business regardless of what they post or what they tell call ins. They are good honest people. I get bad vibes going in east end. Not knocking them just my opinion. Seem a little pushy. Numbers down, people up. This year has been one of the most crowded ive seen... simply assumed because fish are in such few areas, that the masses arent spread out either. Again, this same discussion is going on in another thread lol

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3335
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 22:37:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2016/11/12 19:12:12
cmwrestler2008
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 22:53:03 (permalink)
Many factors come into consideration when talking about the number of fish and the size.  By no means am I a pro about this stuff but stocking numbers, harvest rate, and the places where they stock the smolts play a big factor in steelhead numbers.  I'm not 100% on this but I believe they stock the smolts up high on elk lets say sterrettania.  Those fish have a long way to make it back to the lake and avoid fisherman and ice grinding down the river.  Mortality rates of those fish need to be considered and maybe trying to imbed those fish lower in the tributaries will increase survival to the lake and possibly a healthier return of fish.  I understand it's a put and take fishery but I personally believe the limit should be lowered to two or even one fish a day, however, I know this will never happen.  There are plenty of fish to be had sometimes you just have to work for them. 
Smallsac
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/11 23:25:48 (permalink)
Bad Vibes....that's what they should name the establishment next to EEA.   lol
nerka
Avid Angler
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/12 00:14:20 (permalink)
like i said 15-20 yrs ago ...staggering numbers rite... don get used to it etc etc and so on.   well todays numbers seem ok   when compared to other great lakes steelhead runs.... lake superior  ..huron etc..     we just go sooooo spoiled yrs ago  with    no pun intended  SHOOTING FISH IN A BARREL FISHERY     JUST THERES WAAAAAAY  WAAAAY  MORE PRESSURE today   that plus less returns= unhappy anglers...
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/12 00:41:29 (permalink)
Seems this will be the normal heading into the future years and for some that will be fine. I like a lot of other fishermen have slowly backed off Erie Steelhead fishing. Just to many bad factors involved with overcrowded areas.

Just like Troutguy said they are fun to catch but something good is missing from the old days.
I don't mind working for fish but super overcrowded areas take away too much of the fun. 
Just ain't worth it !   
nerka
Avid Angler
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/12 00:57:13 (permalink)
yep captn  i agree  my trips have declined by 80pct in last 5 yrs  too much pressure    i get as much satisfaction fishing for holdover trout close to home yhis time of year with no pressure... but i still get my fix for elk creek steel once a yr now  and i still get them  but  ahhhhhhh the good ole dayz are hard to forget......
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/12 15:17:32 (permalink)
nerka, I can top that, I haven't fished Erie in 5 years and don't miss it one bit.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Recent Post from East Side Angler 2016/11/12 17:00:55 (permalink)
I gave up on NY super madness about 5 years ago , now Erie has come to be the same.

We have our local Steelhead, we call them Stripers not as many but super strong fighters !

Combat crowded fishing just brings out the worst in fishermen, snagging , foul hooking, lifting, lining, over limits, arguing, spot claiming, even fist fighting !
I've seen it all from NY, Pa.,& Ohio trib fishing.  

Just ain't worth it ! 
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: