Helpful ReplyAtlantic Salmon

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 14:30:24 (permalink)
jat1007
i wonder if they did stock them in Erie what size potential they could reach... like the steelhead average around 4-7 lbs with a 10lber being a good sized one... i was told when the cohos were around they were all the same like they came out of a mold 20-24 inches...  would be interesting if there was another species that "ran" but then again the steelhead program does pretty well and there's some browns around although i cant seem to catch any... so why spend the money on something else....considering if you'd go anywhere else like the pnw you might walk ten miles and hook two fish and that's a good day... then again those rivers are BIG..

I'd guess Atlantics in Erie would about the same size as Steelhead, maybe slightly bigger. Like you said, average 4-7 pounds with 10-15 pound lunkers sounds about right, maybe a few 15-20+ in the mix but not many, and then the 1-2 year old grilse in the mix too. During Steelhead season now, I'm up at Erie usually 1-3 weekends each month. If there were fishable numbers of Atlantics along with Steelhead a Browns too, I'd be up every weekend, and be putting more money in to the local economy, no doubt. Something for the PFBC to consider.
post edited by Divemaster - 2016/11/03 14:31:59
jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 14:30:52 (permalink)
im assuming you mean because they're not natural reproduction..
there's "actual" steelhead in the great lakes... they're just stocked and dont grow as big... fish in the pnw are wild and stocked... doesn't make the erie steelhead not "actual" steelhead imo...

and sure... walk or float 

freshwaterdrumR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 603
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 15:24:37 (permalink)
Divemaster
jat1007
i wonder if they did stock them in Erie what size potential they could reach... like the steelhead average around 4-7 lbs with a 10lber being a good sized one... i was told when the cohos were around they were all the same like they came out of a mold 20-24 inches...  would be interesting if there was another species that "ran" but then again the steelhead program does pretty well and there's some browns around although i cant seem to catch any... so why spend the money on something else....considering if you'd go anywhere else like the pnw you might walk ten miles and hook two fish and that's a good day... then again those rivers are BIG..

I'd guess Atlantics in Erie would about the same size as Steelhead, maybe slightly bigger. Like you said, average 4-7 pounds with 10-15 pound lunkers sounds about right, maybe a few 15-20+ in the mix but not many, and then the 1-2 year old grilse in the mix too. During Steelhead season now, I'm up at Erie usually 1-3 weekends each month. If there were fishable numbers of Atlantics along with Steelhead a Browns too, I'd be up every weekend, and be putting more money in to the local economy, no doubt. Something for the PFBC to consider.

So you are saying the browns, steelhead, pink salmon, lakers, walleye, bass, perch and pike are not enough?
Atlantics are rare in lake O and that lake is much better suited for salmon than Erie. It would be a complete waste of money throwing them in erie. 
wirenut45
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 152
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 15:34:21 (permalink)
lived in Seneca Falls, N.Y. in mid- late 60s, fished KEUKA OUTLET, which flows from that lake into Seneca Lake , caught many landlocks in spring when rainbows were on spawn run up outlet. don,t know if they were spawning or eating rainbow eggs. wire
jat1007
Avid Angler
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 15:43:20 (permalink)
freshwaterdrumR
Divemaster
jat1007

So you are saying the browns, steelhead, pink salmon, lakers, walleye, bass, perch and pike are not enough?
Atlantics are rare in lake O and that lake is much better suited for salmon than Erie. It would be a complete waste of money throwing them in Erie. 

fresh water drum....

no... no one said that they aren't enough...

i said "would be interesting if there was another species that "ran""

a discussion about atlantics... like i said in another post appreciate what we have...

also "It would be a complete waste of money "throwing" them in erie."  what do you base that on? strictly your opinion?

ZDJ0719
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 15:47:04 (permalink)
Don't know how valid this is but I talked to a charter boat captain who said in the early to mid 70s that they stocked cohos in Lake Erie. He said that they quit stocking them because the charter boat captains couldn't tell the difference between the cohos and the steelhead when they were caught in the lake so they just reported them as steelhead. So the DNR quit stocking cohos
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 15:53:54 (permalink)
jat1007
 i was told when the cohos were around they were all the same like they came out of a mold 20-24 inches... 

All the odd/teal colored "steelies" with gum disease I was catching back in the day were appx a pound smaller than the "normal" color  steelies
The big one I caught  was at Walnut at the block  wall above the Stop Sign hole .Til that guy next to me said "Coho", I'd didn't have a clue

here's something else funny.....I've seen Browns in the creeks since WAY back.
Never knew they  were Browns til I caught a little one in Sterritainia ...I could see it was a different color in the water from the rest of fish.
It wasn't til it bit my trout worm and i landed it...even "I" knew it wasn't a steelie then ...My bud told me it was a Brown .
I caught it TWICE that morning

Since then, I knew all the "redish" colored "steelies" I saw were Browns .
The biggest Brown I saw was at Girardboro park
It was HUGE..I'd guesstimate 18+ pounds!! and had a little one right behind it...i couldn't  get either one to bite

Matter of fact, that little Brown I caught twice, is the only Brown I've ever caught in Pa tribs .
seen more than few over the years...but only one was dumb enough to bite ..and TWICE at that...

..L.T.A.
freshwaterdrumR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 603
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 15:58:01 (permalink)
jat1007
freshwaterdrumR
Divemaster
jat1007

Atlantics are rare in lake O and that lake is much better suited for salmon than Erie. It would be a complete waste of money throwing them in Erie. 

fresh water drum....

no... no one said that they aren't enough...

i said "would be interesting if there was another species that "ran""

a discussion about atlantics... like i said in another post appreciate what we have...

also "It would be a complete waste of money "throwing" them in erie."  what do you base that on? strictly your opinion?

the 'not enough' was more directed at dive master saying he would need atlantic to come up every weekend. Just pointing out there is a huge diverse fishery already in place.

I think it would be a waste of money for the same reasons every other salmon species doesn't get stocked in erie anymore.  Lake Ontario is great for salmon and trout, kings and cohos thrive. However the atlantics are pretty rare... If the atlantics took off and were super common in Lake O - a fishery that is perfect for salmon(deep cold water and tons of bait).  Then I would think maybe erie could sustain a small population.  

jat1007
Avid Angler
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 15:59:41 (permalink)
makes sense

ZDJ0719
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 16:11:08 (permalink)
If they did stock salmon then we are just gonna have the same problem that New York already has
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 17:09:12 (permalink)
freshwaterdrumR
Divemaster
jat1007

So you are saying the browns, steelhead, pink salmon, lakers, walleye, bass, perch and pike are not enough?Atlantics are rare in lake O and that lake is much better suited for salmon than Erie. It would be a complete waste of money throwing them in erie. 

Not at all. Why do you think I go to Erie period? It's for all the fishing opportunities that it offers! I'm just saying Atlantics would be a nice addition, being tied for my favorite species :). I'm up every weekend in April and May for Lakers, most weekends during the summer for Steelhead, Pinks, Drum, and Pike, and most weekends in the fall for Steelhead, Browns, Pinks, Lakers, and soon Burbot. Not a fan of perch or walleye fishing, but there's plenty of other big water species up there that I love to pursue. Especially Lake Trout.

I have a feeling that native Atlantics aren't taking off in Ontario because they're not doing enough stocking and habitat restoration for them, plus they have to compete with the thousands of non-native Pacific Salmon.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 17:09:55 (permalink)
So much misinformation in this thread...

Blacktop Charters
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 17:29:17 (permalink)
^ Elaborate please. If I'm reciting incorrect information then I honestly would appreciate knowing what it is, not being a smarta**.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 19:24:03 (permalink)
bingsbaits

I'll take that over fishing in a ditch with a hundred Yinzers....

Amen brother !

The Steelhead program is far better then the Coho Salmon program of past .
We need Triploid Trout stocked ! Hell with the Salmon............     
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 19:48:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nerka 2016/11/04 23:47:25
CAPTAIN HOOK
bingsbaits

Amen brother ! The Steelhead program is far better then the Coho Salmon program of past .We need Triploid Trout stocked ! Hell with the Salmon............     

How about some Skeena strain Steelhead and Seaforellen and Ferox strain Browns instead :). I think if they stocked triploids, bait shops would never be able to find Emerald shiners lol!
Smallsac
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/03 20:12:59 (permalink)
Was rumor years ago that they put salmon fingerlings in the Pumpy in Brandonville.  But was just some meato from Shendo wacked out from his Yuengling & Kilbo.
jat1007
Avid Angler
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/04 08:25:18 (permalink)
Ironhed

inform us please

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/04 09:12:05 (permalink)
wirenut45
lived in Seneca Falls, N.Y. in mid- late 60s, fished KEUKA OUTLET, which flows from that lake into Seneca Lake , caught many landlocks in spring when rainbows were on spawn run up outlet. don,t know if they were spawning or eating rainbow eggs. wire

Spot Burner!

They were eating eggs or smelt, Atlantic Salmon are fall spawners.  I can't believe that people who can rely on the internet for so much communication can't google the fish name and then go to Wikipedia or Cornell of one of the state websites and find out the biology for themselves so we read all this mis- or un- informed speculation.  Coming from NYS, I just surf the NYSDEC website and find all kinds of "good stuff."  http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7028.html
post edited by Lucky13 - 2016/11/04 09:15:39
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/04 09:19:11 (permalink)
As to introduction of strains of fish like Skeena Steelhead, since VHS, Whirling dieseases, etc, it is extremely difficult (read impossible in NYS) to get eggs from out of state, to prevent introduction of disease from another hatchery system.  That is if there was an "Eggs Are Us" store where you could get the fish, I'm not sure BC would let their eggs go anyhow, as it sounds like they need every spawner they can get to maintain their natural fishery.
jat1007
Avid Angler
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/04 09:20:15 (permalink)
Lucky13
wirenut45

Spot Burner!

They were eating eggs or smelt, Atlantic Salmon are fall spawners.  I can't believe that people who can rely on the internet for so much communication can't google the fish name and then go to Wikipedia or Cornell of one of the state websites and find out the biology for themselves so we read all this mis- or un- informed speculation.  Coming from NYS, I just surf the NYSDEC website and find all kinds of "good stuff."  http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7028.html

its called a discussion board......
a place for ppl to discuss topics and say their opinions and thoughts...

but yes spot burner.

wirenut45
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 152
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/04 14:19:20 (permalink)
Lucky13, thanks for clarifying for me. i,d go for the trout that were spawning, ,n, catch a few l.l. salmon. n.y. closed the season on sept.1 on f.l. tribs, so didn,t get to fish fall, so didn,t know that about them. oh, internet we had then(60,s) was Jakes Baitshop in Dresden. lol. wire
jat1007
Avid Angler
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/04 14:28:48 (permalink)
WIRENUT i struggle to decipher your posts... 

Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/05 00:57:31 (permalink)
jat1007
Ironhed

inform us please

I'm good.

Blacktop Charters
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/05 06:09:42 (permalink)
They have been catching some real nice looking Atlantics this year up in SRNY more then I remember in the past good to see.
And yes they are in the finger lakes and do spawn  in creeks my couisin went to college in Syracuse and fished for them and knew a few guys who catch them regularly in a private stream going into one of the lakes forget which one.
I say why not stock some in the lake...WCW
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/05 06:59:12 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
bingsbaits

Amen brother !

Uhhh, excuuuse meee,
YINZER LIVES MATTER TWO!!!!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/05 07:07:54 (permalink)
Ironhed
jat1007
Ironhed

inform us please

I'm good.

Trahht gawd ahhhrrnhed condescends again!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/05 09:11:30 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
CAPTAIN HOOK
bingsbaits

Amen brother !

Uhhh, excuuuse meee,
YINZER LIVES MATTER TWO!!!!

But why do yinz keep sending up the Short Bus ???

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/05 09:34:39 (permalink)
jat1007
WIRENUT i struggle to decipher your posts...   

Might that be becuse you don't see "the whole" picture?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/05 10:05:13 (permalink)
Ironhed
jat1007
Ironhed

inform us please

I'm good.

Then no more complaining now, yah hear 😆.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Atlantic Salmon 2016/11/05 10:08:01 (permalink)
workcanwait....
They have been catching some real nice looking Atlantics this year up in SRNY more then I remember in the past good to see.And yes they are in the finger lakes and do spawn  in creeks my couisin went to college in Syracuse and fished for them and knew a few guys who catch them regularly in a private stream going into one of the lakes forget which one.I say why not stock some in the lake...WCW

I think it's a good idea. But just to see what kind of support there'd be...

Who else here would support a trial run Atlantic Salmon stocking program for Lake Erie?
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: