Helpful ReplyWhat year di Rt 5 wash out?

Author
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/12 07:13:24 (permalink)

What year di Rt 5 wash out?

I recall it was a hurricane weather system that slammed the coast, then brought a deluge of rain to us up north that washed out the rt 5 road surface at the Elk tubes

That rain event changed the creeks like no other I can recall

what year was that, and which hurricane system?

Hugo???

THANKS

..L.T.A.

pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/12 07:25:08 (permalink)
Thought it was Hurricane Frances or Rita. Wasn't it like 05 or 06?
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/12 07:25:31 (permalink)
Sept 04 hurry cane frances
post edited by Pooflinger - 2016/10/12 07:28:09

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
ShenangoEyes
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/12 07:59:52 (permalink)
Ivan was a big one, too.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/12 08:18:11 (permalink)
Was that 04 when all those holes between Rt5 and Cascade Hole filled in?
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/12 12:30:15 (permalink)
What year did the tubes all jam with ice and form a lake up to Whitman's bridge ? 70's/80's ?
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/12 12:52:44 (permalink)
pensfan1
Was that 04 when all those holes between Rt5 and Cascade Hole filled in?

I can't recall
There's been more than a few changes over the years
I remember a winter or two the ice was so thick and thaw so fast with heavy unseasonably warm rain, it made significant changes in several of my Connie spots

But can't recall a single rain event that made so many major changes as the year rt 5 washed out.

Several holes that were perennial holding spots for large numbers of fish disappeared.
The one at Girardboro park a few hundred yards downstream of the pavilion .
It was a pretty deep cut that held fish year after year....filled in completely.

Immediately below the Conrail tubes changed big time too.
Can't recall which direction it went though.
It either went from poor to great, or the other way around..

Steritainia by the old bridge abutments area got a major change as well

Platz rd  and Folley's .....big changes
(Not to mention all the camper trailers tat got a "bit" wet)

That event was certainly the biggest creek game changer I can recall

LTA
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/12 12:57:16 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
What year did the tubes all jam with ice and form a lake up to Whitman's bridge ? 70's/80's ?

Can't recall that far back, Hook
Those were the height of my "knucklehead dayz".... I'm sure I was drunk or on some other mind altering drug....or looking to be...

LTA
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/12 13:46:03 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Would love to see some pictures of that!

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/12 19:15:24 (permalink)
I remember hearing about it from several guys back then. They said they were talking about dynamiting  it free. Said it looked like a large lake.....who knows.... no internet back then maybe was BS , but I can see it being possible with large ice build up. Maybe someone can clarify on it.

I know Elk Creek lost some beautiful holding holes over the years. Had a hole I fished way above I-90 had a huge rock just below it. Stuck out the water at least 2 feet had to be 4 feet wide. Was there for many years. We called the spot " The Rock Hole". Came back one year the boulder was gone ! I walked a 100 yds. down steam and found it almost totally buried on the bottom of Elk Creek in river gravel ! Ice flows destroyed that spot . Needless to say the hole disappeared....a shallow run after that.

Genie I remember that Park hole in it's day.....held fish steady .
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/12 21:15:56 (permalink)
Not sure how to post pictures on here, but i found one of route 5 after it washed out.

pheasant tail 2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 401
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/12 21:36:06 (permalink)
Genie,
I think it may have been 2004? We had two tropical depressions move through the region in a 10 day span.

As others have mentioned, some of my favorite waters in the area of the old Route 20 bridge were completely changed, and not for the better. Similar to the Captains hole, there was a very large triangular sandstone wedged in the streambed adjacent to shale shelf, downstream of the new Route 20 bridge. We called it the Evil, Deadly Triangle Rock. It was a fish holding magnet.

By the way Captain I absolutely loved fishing the Route 90 section of Elk. I imagine we crossed paths down those parts a time or two years back?

PT2
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/13 07:20:37 (permalink)
I'm sure we did PT, not much traffic in those days. Fantastic section of Elk Creek and one of the most scenic. I-90 up to the covered bridge held some beautiful water, holding holes, and fast runs. Well worth the long walk ! Was fortunate to fish it from the 80's on into the early 2000's till it got over crowded and posted. Many a day I never seen another fisherman all day ! It was a well kept secret till the internet showed up.

Met a guy fishing there one day in the late 90's and I asked him where he was from he said Maine ! Wow that's a long way, how did you know about this area to fish ? He said I looked up all the info on the internet and just decided to try this stretch. I knew it was over at that point! Took about 7 more years later before it exploded . Drove by my parking area that usually held 2-3 cars and I counted 23 cars there that day ! Wasn't long after that , No Trespassing signs everywhere !       
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/13 09:45:26 (permalink)
My neighbor here grew up in Girard he told me about the ice jam at the tubes before would be nice to see some pics of it...WCW
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/13 16:17:45 (permalink)
the power of water is pretty amazing

you guys mentioned BIG rocks being moved
there was   a  big concrete square at Streusion (sp??)  Flats  area
In the long straight stretch by parking lot before the creek makes a hard left turn down stream

anyway, the chunk was there  "forever" ...I'd "guess" it weighed 1000 pounds or so  .
Not sure if it was that storm, but remember it got moved 100 yrds or more down stream

..L.T.A.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/13 20:50:13 (permalink)
So there was some truth to the ice tube jams....I agree would be nice to see a photo or two.
I'm sure there are some around.
Yes it's amazing what water and ice jams can move and destroy.
Like I said in the past ice wipes out a lot of Winter tributary fish....a lot get trapped and crushed
in these shallow creeks.

CREEKTROLL3
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/13 21:30:29 (permalink)
Hey Capt. I don't have pic's but it did happen. March 1985. I was 12 at the time was fishing with my dad below the access area right before the shell wall. Sucker's where biting  and a few browns. I caught a citation size brown that day. The fish wardens came and told us the jam might break free at any time. Everyone left, the next day on the news I remember watching  a camper blow thru the tubes !!! The next weekend we where back up and remember seeing dead steel all thru the woods behind the old Coho camp at the mud hole.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/14 09:34:42 (permalink)
It makes me sad hearing how good it was back then and to see how it is today

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/14 16:49:25 (permalink)
thunderpole

Honesty, if it wasn't for the hordes of weekend anglers, coupled with typical low n clear water, it's still not "bad" fishing by any standard.

Many of us regular steel headers go back to the  boom years.
I think we all just became incredibility spoiled, where anything less than double digit days was considered an "off" bite day

Double digit days are still common for the top 10% 
But not nearly as common now for us average water frothers like me that needs lots of dumb fish to feel like a troutgawd

Even worse for those that can only make one or two planned trips a year.
In boom years, it was sure thing they could at least find fish that weren't covered and surrounded shoulder to shoulder

LTA
post edited by genieman77 - 2016/10/14 16:56:17
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2983
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/14 21:09:46 (permalink)
CREEKTROLL3
 the next day on the news I remember watching  a camper blow thru the tubes !!! 

Yep,
That video made the national news. 

albionsteelhead
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/18 22:34:57 (permalink)
dano
CREEKTROLL3
 the next day on the news I remember watching  a camper blow thru the tubes !!! 

Yep,
That video made the national news. 

Yes, seeing that trailer get tossed around and then sucked thru the tubes was unbelievable.  Even saw a couple huge propane tanks bobbing along as well - unreal. Made the national news that evening.

A fisherman by the tubes reported stone and dirt was washing from above into the creek - - - fortunately, officials examined the tracks, and shut the track down.  The sandstone center support eroded and it collapsed - - happened in March, 1985. The water reportedly was up to 40 feet deep, and actually wasn't caused  from ice buildup, but a damming of the tubes themselves from the washout originating up by the railroad.  

Agree  with Genieman on the creeks changing after those Hurricane events (that was in 2004) - - Elk really changed after those two systems blew through....
post edited by albionsteelhead - 2016/10/18 22:40:41
jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/19 08:52:51 (permalink)
genieman77
thunderpole

Honesty, if it wasn't for the hordes of weekend anglers, coupled with typical low n clear water, it's still not "bad" fishing by any standard.

I think we all just became incredibility spoiled, where anything less than double digit days was considered an "off" bite day

But not nearly as common now for us average water frothers like me that needs lots of dumb fish to feel like a troutgawd

In boom years, it was sure thing they could at least find fish that weren't covered and surrounded shoulder to shoulder

LTA

agree

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/19 14:23:34 (permalink)
CT3 , and Albion, glad to here about the tubes jamming story and what year that was.
Like I said I didn't remember much but did hear about it from several local fishermen back then. Would have been something to witness.

They said it created a huge lake ! Yes I did hear about all the dead Steellhead too.

Had friends that fished Elk after ice out a few years back and said you wouldn't believe how many dead Steelhead were found crushed along the shores and woods from Winter ice.

One has to wonder even with catch and release how many do ever make it back the following year....I'd say less than 1 %

Someone posted this photo of Walnut one Winter
You think any fish survived this massive ice flow ? I'd say none !
I don't keep many fish anymore, but I don't criticize people who do, just for reasons like this. 

jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/19 15:38:13 (permalink)
good point captain.... wonder how often those big ice blowouts happen...  two years ago and the year prior to that we had seriously cold winters but this past years winter was fairly mild... 

genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/19 17:16:32 (permalink)
jat1007
genieman77
thunderpole

LTA

agree

Welp....that shows you're a pretty smArt kid....

As far as repeat spawners.. ..I don't think it's ever been many
Maybe 10%??? At best?..maybe...

I'd suggest the evidence is right before our eyes every year
Look in the holes....with  the exception of the jacks,  most all the mature fish are cookie cutter size within a pound or two.

The smart folks/bio guys tell me a steelie will put on two to three+ pounds a year in the lake
(More in great lake food for them years)

As i understand it, they're released as one year old smolts, spend two years in the lake putting on the feed bag and return as three year old adults 

The typical 4-6 pounders we see every Fall
One would expect repeat spawners (four year olds) to be 7-9 pound.

We just don't see lots of fish in the holes that vary that much in size.
There's generally a few brutes in a hole (those would be the repeat spawners)
But there's never a lot of em compared to the rest.

Same year class fish can vary a couple pounds (some eat better/more than others)
For the most part though, the overwhelming majority are same size.
Maybe 10% in the hole are clearly much larger 

I think it was Nagy I read that suggested 90% of the drop backs (fish that made it thru a whole season and went back out to lake) die that summer in the lake 

Note, this is for lake Erie steel.
It's different on the west coast ocean run steel ..repeat spawners aren't uncommon

LTA

genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/19 17:38:19 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK

Had friends that fished Elk after ice out a few years back and said you wouldn't believe how many dead Steelhead were found crushed along the shores and woods from Winter ice.

Speculation on my part, but would stand to reason the slow melts would have little effect.
But recall some years unseasonably warm weather and heavy rains busted em loose fast.

Those years would be the "fish grinders" I'd suspect

Quite a few years ago I recall Connie busted loose and there were HUGE slabs of ice 20 and 30 ft in size and 18-20+ inches thick heaved up in jagged piles all along the banks

It was  treacherous just walking over mountains of ice to get to river

LTA

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/19 20:39:28 (permalink)
I'm in agreement that repeat spawners are not very common no matter what conditions exist .
It's a nice thought to think that Steelhead you are releasing today will be back next year bigger and more with them but I have serious doubts. I'd say Mother Nature takes the toll more than we imagine. Ice flows crush em , spawning weakens them and their immune systems , stress from being caught and recaught , no food for months, low water conditions, all add to a slim chance to return a year later.

Remember N.Y. had a 1 fish limit on Steelhead for many years on certain creeks. Never did you see that help the return numbers the following years. They were always around average every year.

Once in awhile you see a trophy fish caught you wonder is that a return spawner or just an odd fish that ate good and never spawned until 4-5 years later? We don't know because no state along Erie has ever done a tagging survey on return fish numbers! I'd say it's minimal at best just like the odds of Steelhead spawning natural.    
mike55
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/20 01:38:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2016/10/26 03:01:51
The two winters we just had did more damage to the creeks than anything I can remember.

20 mile used to have 4 or 5 decent holes up to the bridge and now its all flat.

Since those winters Elk just keeps getting worse and worse every year after every blowout. Some holes get a little better but most completely fill in with shifting shale and gravel. Upper elks banks are so gone its scary.

Only going to get lower. Two of the worst winters since the 70s in a row. Those ice melts literally plowed the banks. The guy that lives at doberman hole on Elk... His yard is basically part of the creek now... No wonder he is trying to sell.

Elk will soon be like a mini grand river. Flat for miles and a hole or two every once in a while. Hope im wrong.
post edited by mike55 - 2016/10/20 01:39:06
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/25 17:13:22 (permalink)
CREEKTROLL3
Hey Capt. I don't have pic's but it did happen. March 1985. I was 12 at the time was fishing with my dad below the access area right before the shell wall. Sucker's where biting  and a few browns. I caught a citation size brown that day. The fish wardens came and told us the jam might break free at any time. Everyone left, the next day on the news I remember watching  a camper blow thru the tubes !!! The next weekend we where back up and remember seeing dead steel all thru the woods behind the old Coho camp at the mud hole.

Sorry guys, that was not an ice jam. Spring of 1985 The railroad tube collapsed and stopped up the creek. When they blew it open it washed the camper down and through the tubes. I had been home from the Navy just a few weeks when that happened.

PooFLinger
Expert Angler
Re: What year di Rt 5 wash out? 2016/10/26 01:03:07 (permalink)
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3067507

Check this link out guy. March 14th 1985

Jump to: