Back From SR

Author
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/09 19:19:25 (permalink)

Back From SR

I just got home from a week on the SR.  The public section was silly crowded, made worse by the low water level.  Fish were leader shy.  I fished the trestle around 150 yards below the trestle Monday - Wednesday with little success.  Thursday - Saturday I fished the DSR and saw many hundreds of mostly kings.  I stayed primarily in the spring hole.  Low water made the fish very visible.  Thursday was my best day with around 30 hookups, landing six.  Fish were coming up from the estuary in groups of 2-3 at a fairly steady rate.  Next week should be great in the public sections but getting room at this low flow rate will be challenging.  I think there were 100 guys around the town pool at the peak.  I did see spawning kings in the DSR, so maybe they won't come into town in great numbers unless they raise the water level.

4 Replies Related Threads

chartist
    Expert Angler
    Re: Back From SR 2016/10/10 19:12:04 (permalink)
    A lot of views, no comments...Folks are starved for information, even if it's from me.  Stood on the bridge at Altmar and saw quite a few salmon in the LFZ...Hey locals, standing under the bridge and casting up in the LFZ constitutes fishing in the LFZ!  Fished 150+ yards downstream of Altmar bridge in popular hole.  Lots of fish, no bites.  Guys on the northeast corner of hole were lifting like no tomorrow.  Of course all got their limits.  It's really pathetic.  A couple young guys fishing the DSR lost their stringer with two fish on it.  We found it and they came looking for the stringer with "cohos"....Well, they were large steelhead.  One was dead and we released the other.  Dumb kids had no idea what they were fishing for.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Back From SR 2016/10/10 20:20:51 (permalink)
    Too bad some fish had to spawn so far down- remember a few years back when many did the same thing from the A bridge on down in low water conditions .
    Thanks for the good  report.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Back From SR 2016/10/11 09:47:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report Chart,from what you are saying I did n't miss much by leaving early.Wait all year for it and then they shut the water and close the LFZ.Fished the LFZ while there and it was loaded with fish but they were not hitting,95% of fish "hooked" while I was there were snagged/lined.For some reason the UFZ had very few fish when I tried it,did you get up there while you were there?
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    Re: Back From SR 2016/10/11 18:38:46 (permalink)
    I did not get to the UFZ.  Every access point was crowded especially Ellis Cove.  No room to park a car there.  Monday - Wednesday, the trestle hole was slow.  There were hookups, but not great.  
    Jump to: