genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/06 17:30:10 (permalink)

Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now

You're not gonna be much happier a month from now
Or two months from now for that matter

If you weren't happy with last year's run, you ain't gonna be happy this year either....
Here's a little secret from the "genieman files" ; 
Two to three  weeks from now, there will be as many fish as you're going to see for the rest of the season

Sure fish will filter in through November..... But not enough to make up for the numbers harvested and those that die from being played to exhaustion a dozen times

That's  the way it is
If you can't deal with it, Mountain Man started  a thread a couple weeks ago for the whiners.
Think it's titled "the butthurt thread" ...or sump'um like that

LTA

27 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/06 19:35:36 (permalink)
    Think your theory will hold true this year genie? Not because of low, clear conditions so far and forecast, but because of the historically warm lake temps through this point?

Seems like what the boats have been doing the past week or two in catching steel while targeting eyes is more like what they're normally picking up in August.

Bet you've been chasin steel longer than me but in my 14 ish years of chasin em I've always thought from my experience the best numbers are around a few weeks later than your estimate.
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/06 20:00:15 (permalink)
    Jus my 2 cents but...saw more 8-10 lbers yesterday than all last year- swimming that is -I hooked ZERO FISH!
    I think we will see some better than last year fishing but nowhere near epic runs...time will tell.
    Jus need FLOW/H2O...been chasing steel for over 20 years if that matters.

Seen some serious SNAGGERS yesterday too ...LOUD OBNOXIOUS GUYS PROUD TO BE RIPPING!
    Funny how the fish jumped a thrashed about ...but if I was STUCK in the gut I might react the same.
    Overheard the one guy saying he wanted to fish from boat in Walnut Construction Zone...I cant make this stuff up!

WCW
    post edited by workcanwait.... - 2016/10/06 20:01:22
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/06 20:11:31 (permalink)
    Kevin Costner from waterworld told me the smokers are out in the lake catching them for trade. He fought off a couple on jet skis. Did you know since he has functioning gills on his ears he can swim underwater for unlimited amounts of time...crazy. Kevin also told me he thinks the 2 heavy freeze overs the last two years screwed up patterns and or caused fish to relocate and just stray away. Maybe they wanted to see niagra falls this 4 th of July. Cant blame them for wanting to live life! 1 fish 150 fish 600000 fish, i will still be there as its more of a lifestyle than a sick money sucking hobby. would you wanna swim into erie tribs hahahaha 3 hours in them your already looking like dennis rodman piercings and bling bling everywhere lol

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/06 20:21:02 (permalink)
    workcanwait....
    Jus my 2 cents but...saw more 8-10 lbers yesterday than all last year- swimming that is -I hooked ZERO FISH!I think we will see some better than last year fishing but nowhere near epic runs...time will tell.Jus need FLOW/H2O...been chasing steel for over 20 years if that matters. Seen some serious SNAGGERS yesterday too ...LOUD OBNOXIOUS GUYS PROUD TO BE RIPPING!Funny how the fish jumped a thrashed about ...but if I was STUCK in the gut I might react the same.Overheard the one guy saying he wanted to fish from boat in Walnut Construction Zone...I cant make this stuff up! WCW

Hmm, must be snagging since you couldn't hook any, right?
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/06 21:02:49 (permalink)
    Well when guys chase after fish and jerk their rods I usually do think that...very low water easy to see what was going on believe what you want...or defend what you do-all fish got off after several leaps for their life except one it was released so its OK- PFBC truck was in parking lot but never saw wardens was hoping to see them!
    And yes I am bitter guy who never catchs fish ... you really got me figured out!
    WCW
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/06 21:07:44 (permalink)
    rsquared
    Think your theory will hold true this year genie? Not because of low, clear conditions so far and forecast, but because of the historically warm lake temps through this point?

I should probably  preface by saying  , the overwhelming majority of my  creek time over the years in Pa is/was on Elk.
    No clue what goes on  east of there ...might be way different

I've found by this time of year, (regardless of conditions wet/drought hot/cold)  the runs can be predicted pretty well

as far as more fish being in the creeks  later than Nov 1.
    I haven't observed that .
    what I have noticed, is there may be be more fish in some areas of the creek (low/mid/up stream).
    But overall from top to bottom, the numbers  pretty well peak by Nov 1

absolutely fish keep coming, but not enough to overcome and out pace  daily  attrition rates 

..L.T.A.
    H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 340
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/06 21:18:59 (permalink)
    "absolutely fish keep coming, but not enough to overcome and out pace  daily  attrition rates "

Nailed it. No real numbers run, compared to the previous 3-4 years this time of year. However, last year we didn't get much rain this early and there was a lot more activity from fish holding in the lake. 
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/06 21:25:09 (permalink)
    5 fakts-
    1. Fishrmn catches fish
    2. Wcw catches fish (usually)
    3. Rskwarrd eats pink wurms on his salad and gets jiggy wit it.
    3.Genie is smart butt he don't got no crystal ball
    4. Imma still go upere nnat.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/06 21:26:08 (permalink)
    I personally was content with last years run... once they were able to spread out.. had a fairly decent season lots of tough conditions early much like this year..but finding fish seemed to be the least of my worrys/problems late late nov and all dec was prime last year for me. Also helped that the creeks werent iced until january sometime too though. If we go from 80s to frozen over with no transition like we did in 13' and 14'then thats a wrap this year will be a bust.. last fall mellowly and slowly slid into winter and provided a lengthy amount of ice free time once the leaves cleared.. i dont mind cold and ice and snow but fishing is often next to impossible with chunks messing up your drift. I look for it to be a lot like last year just slowwww and painful until it breaks open fish spread out and the flows hold steady.

XtopwaterkingX
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/06 21:45:46 (permalink)
    I can't wait to use the auger an get some steel
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/06 21:58:03 (permalink)
    XtopwaterkingX
    I can't wait to use the auger an get some steel
    your one crazy mofo!!!! I could only have night mares about how cold that wind is coming off the lake!!

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/06 22:49:50 (permalink)
    I got to agree with the Genieman ! Not looking good for October.
    Low water doesn't stop fish, they will pile up at the mouths regardless. Happened years ago on Elk Creek, water was so low fish were just stacked thick as seaweed at the mud hole (mouth bend )and it was 70 degrees ! Even the creeks with deeper mouths are not very populated with fish as of now.  ????
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/06 23:39:34 (permalink)
    What do you guys think is more important to get em stacked up and ready to swim upstream - water temps or the time of year/photoperiod?

Think we're all close in what we think about a typical year, give or take a week or two but I'm interested to see how this year plays out since lake temps just dropped below 68 a day or two ago, which is generally a magic number of sorts and normally happens two to three weeks earlier than this year.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 00:17:13 (permalink)
     Most important.....good number stockings and survival rate about 3 years earlier
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 00:23:07 (permalink)
    Im gonna say i feel photo period is a good trigger of many natural phases of animals deer and bear for instance shorter day light gets their patterns to change kind of like if your living off the grid and have no clue what exact day or time it is but the seasons are your guide to keep you in a natural rythym we all know steelies are extremely sensitive and shy to sunlight so sun up time im sure that accounts for some of it..anyone ever read any of john nagys books? You can reallly learn a lot of fine details about erie tribs and steelhead patterns. It breaks down every topic you can think of from how a steelheads vision works, flys and bait and when to use them and why and things of that nature definitely a good read i have taken a lot of it into consideration to help adapt to the ever changing conditions

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 02:12:58 (permalink)
    fishfashfush
    Kevin Costner from waterworld told me the smokers are out in the lake catching them for trade. He fought off a couple on jet skis. Did you know since he has functioning gills on his ears he can swim underwater for unlimited amounts of time...crazy. Kevin also told me he thinks the 2 heavy freeze overs the last two years screwed up patterns and or caused fish to relocate and just stray away. Maybe they wanted to see niagra falls this 4 th of July. Cant blame them for wanting to live life! 1 fish 150 fish 600000 fish, i will still be there as its more of a lifestyle than a sick money sucking hobby. would you wanna swim into erie tribs hahahaha 3 hours in them your already looking like dennis rodman piercings and bling bling everywhere lol

Got harpoon gun and magnet be up Oct 17

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 06:24:19 (permalink)
    rsquared
    What do you guys think is more important to get em stacked up and ready to swim upstream - water temps or the time of year/photoperiod?

me personally, I think it's  an internal bio clock thing unrelated  to water levels or  temps*
    and it would seem somewhat individual too,  as some fish come in as early as late August .
    Why else would the early fish belly crawl up trickles  to languish in 70 plus degree bathtubs ?

* water levels and  temps aren't "completely" unrelated though .
    I'm reminded what JiggyJim once said ...there are  pack followers looking to munch  eggs.
    they're not as likely to rush in when the water is poor

Think we're all close in what we think about a typical year, give or take a week or two but I'm interested to see how this year plays out since lake temps just dropped below 68 a day or two ago, which is generally a magic number of sorts and normally happens two to three weeks earlier than this year.

be interesting to see, R

I'm not always right
    I just think I am.....

.L.T.A.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 06:34:09 (permalink)
    fisherofmen376

Boy!!..I'll have  you know, Miss Cleo calls ME when she wants the fakz

.L.T.A.
    post edited by genieman77 - 2016/10/07 06:35:12
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 06:36:30 (permalink)
    genieman77
    fisherofmen376

Boy!!..I'll have  you know, Miss Cleo calls ME when she wants the fakz    .L.T.A.

Duud she like died early this year

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 06:41:46 (permalink)
    Mountian Man
    genieman77
    fisherofmen376

Boy!!..I'll have  you know, Miss Cleo calls ME when she wants the fakz    .L.T.A.

yea, I tolt her she wood.....

..L.T.A.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 06:47:55 (permalink)
    genieman77
    Mountian Man
    genieman77
    fisherofmen376

yea, I tolt her she wood..... ..L.T.A.

Pics or it didn't happen lol

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 08:41:42 (permalink)
    Just break out yer handy dandy streamers. 

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 09:16:59 (permalink)
    genieman77

Why else would the early fish belly crawl up trickles  to languish in 70 plus degree bathtubs ?

LMAO !

Pro Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 10:27:55 (permalink)
    fishfashfush
    ..anyone ever read any of john nagys books? 

I haven't.  What's he say about photoperiod vs. water temps to trigger runs?  Or maybe the better question is how do they work together, instead of one or the other.  

PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 15:35:05 (permalink)
    I recommend the book as a quick refresher, it clears up common myths. I read the whole thing and it has pictures to keep you engaged it's not like a bland story line book, its cut and dry down to the point.. But i have to find it.. i do remember bait colors and why to use them. He does elaborate on how extremely sensitive these fish are to sunlight; how it effects their vision and mannerisms. I can only assume if a photo period of something stressing and negatively affecting you shortens, you would be more prone to go about your daily routine naturally unphased. In crystal clear water with no broken surface ripples i.e; wind, rain, or rapids, in the direct sun ; the fish is genetically designed to be uncomfortable. This is due to over head prey vulnerability and direct sunlight wich puts them in a frantic, non comfortable state. These are deeper water fish they go miles out in the lake to the trenches for a reason. Like I said i highly recommend the book if your a serious fisherman..it puts the truth on paper to your untaught self explored wisdom and puts some extra bullets in your steelhead gun. John's explanation of fishing high muddy water (not that we have to worry about that lol ) is so spot on that i get excited to fish it as it has worked when most ppl are hitting the hills, or canceling trips. I think water temps are often measured at the bottom of creeks. When fish lay they are generally close to the bottom, how much different and warmer are first few inches in the direct sun? btw I read some where the lake erie temp guage is measured at 34 feet? Any confirmation? Are there any of you boaters that can confirm the surface water temps to be the same as indicated on the website? It says 68 degrees but if you measure say, at the shore line of trout run in the sun; at the mouth, I guarantee that figure to be off a very substantial amount being that a few degree tick could alter their natural urges.
    post edited by fishfashfush - 2016/10/07 21:50:46

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 18:55:14 (permalink)
    Poo flanggur use sum punk shu ay shun please! I like readin yer stuff but it's difficult.

This is about the time that kjh should be entering in with some stone cold sobering truths that make grown men shudder. And sweet pics. Kevin where you at?

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    Re: Well folks, if you're disappointed in the numbers now 2016/10/07 19:35:04 (permalink)
    Haha sorry i just got an iphone and have a difficult time typing. Believe it or not english was my best class... whod-a- thunk it.. also my mind runs 1000 mph, wich makes typing urgent lol
    post edited by fishfashfush - 2016/10/07 19:36:33

Jump to: