Fly Fishing

Author
Khess82
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/05 14:12:41 (permalink)

Fly Fishing

Ive just gotten into fly fishing the last 2 years, last winter I took a class offered through the local college and learned how to tie flies fairly well.  Ive also managed to catch around 200 trout since the opening of trout season here in PA.  Been coming up to the SR and the other tribs for 6 years, the first few years I was fishing like everyone else.  Since getting into the fly rod Id appreciate some tips on really fishing for these awesome fish. Ive been reading the post about the circus in town.  I am not into "fishing" around those types of people.
Any tips on set-up and flies to try would be appreciated.  I have been up twice this year and have had 4 hookups none landed, all those on wooly buggers, Ive tried some caddis larvae and some stone fly nymphs without any luck.  Im fishing with 9 foot leader and 4 foot tippet with a few split shots at the end of the leader(not 1/4 #er's either), just enough to tick bottom
Id be thankful for any tips/help.
Thanks, Kevin

1 Reply Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: Fly Fishing 2016/10/05 14:59:01 (permalink)
    keep doing what your doing,in my opinion this year the water is too warm and the fish are not hitting because of that.when the water cools the fish should turn on.Some flies to have are egg patterns in different colors,estaz in colors,stone fly nympths with some added flash,prince nympths,etc. There are days one color will be hot and then the next day it could be a different color,keep changing until you find the hot fly/color.have wooly buggers in black,olive,brown.chartruse or a combination of colors,be creative.
    Jump to: