What's new?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points: 0
Re: What's new? 2016/09/20 15:05:28 (permalink)
You'd be surprised at 
Porktown
I just put in an ebay order for some mops and what appears to be the yarn used.  If not, then my kids will have some fluffy yarn to make crafts with...  It won't be my first wasted purchase on that site.

Oh yeah.  Thanks!

Sounds good. For the mop material, you dont' really need anything fancy, you can actually just use mop material from the cleaning section at any hardware or auto store.

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/20 15:13:35 (permalink)
genieman77
johnthefisherman
Divemaster
johnthefisherman

Screw the purists man, they're stuck in the 18th century. Mop flies are my go to for stocked fish, although never tried them for Steelhead, so maybe it'd be worth it to run one on a tandem rig...

If it catches fish, I could care less. Heck, I'll tie a piece of cheese to a hook, and if it catches fish, i'll use it. 

"Purists" ????....in Erie PA tribe???

Puh-leeze...

Don't tell me there are anglers  that make fun of other anglers for their fly choices??
I understand some folks like more or less challenge to their fishing.
But claiming to be a purist while fishing in shallow ditches over "stocked by the millions" fish  is....well pretty silly really

I only make fun of the bait chuckers.
We all know they're "less evolved".....

LTA

Heck, there was an elitist at 16 mile a few years back who was saying "the only ethical way to catch steelhead is to swing streamers." When I walked above him and started using a globug- wiggle stone tandem, I thought the vein in his head was going to burst. 

Pro Staff:

genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: What's new? 2016/09/20 17:44:55 (permalink)
johnthefisherman

Heck, there was an elitist at 16 mile a few years back who was saying "the only ethical way to catch steelhead is to swing streamers." When I walked above him and started using a globug- wiggle stone tandem, I thought the vein in his head was going to burst. 

"Ethical"..... Love it
A bazxilon large fish trapped in shallow shale bottom bathtubs ..no place to hide, no place to go ..
being surrounded and pounded day in and day out

In all honesty, the most " ethnical " thing that could happen to those poor fish IS to be harvested.

Truth is though, I'm like most...I think they taste awful......I just love to hookem, make em fight for their life , pull the hook and send em back...over and over and over again

Nothing "ethical" about  torturing dum critters for sport/fun no matter how one tries to rationalize it.
I don't try to, nor pretend it's not anything than it is

I'm just a mEEn ole monster that loves to terrorize fish....for fun

LTA

post edited by genieman77 - 2016/09/20 17:46:50
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: What's new? 2016/09/21 08:18:39 (permalink)
Porktown
Do you guys get any other species on them?  I'm all about using whatever catches too.  I like the McGyver style stuff too.  I missed a nice fish this summer on a straw rig at the beach...  Mine are a little fancier, with a strip of prism flash tape on it.  I wouldn't doubt they'd work on the perch schools when active.  Emerald shiners and glass minnows are pretty similar looking. I'm going to tie some of these up on jig heads and see if panfish are interested.  It looks like something they'd destroy when active.

Smallies hammer mop flies on my home creek in SWPA, I even caught a Bullhead on one once back in June. I've only known about then since June, though, so I haven't gotten to test them on every species yet. I'd imagine if you could tie a large enough one that river Walleye/Sauger would go crazy for them dead drifted.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/21 08:23:51 (permalink)
genieman77
johnthefisherman
Divemaster
johnthefisherman

Screw the purists man, they're stuck in the 18th century. Mop flies are my go to for stocked fish, although never tried them for Steelhead, so maybe it'd be worth it to run one on a tandem rig...

If it catches fish, I could care less. Heck, I'll tie a piece of cheese to a hook, and if it catches fish, i'll use it. 

"Purists" ????....in Erie PA tribe??? Puh-leeze... Don't tell me there are anglers  that make fun of other anglers for their fly choices??I understand some folks like more or less challenge to their fishing.But claiming to be a purist while fishing in shallow ditches over "stocked by the millions" fish  is....well pretty silly really                   I only make fun of the bait chuckers.We all know they're "less evolved".....   LTA  

I was more referring to inland trout streams than Erie Tribs. I was on the breeches back in June fishing next to a guy that tied the most involved dry fly emerger patterns I've ever seen and that's all he would fish. I walk downstream of him 50 feet, throw in my indicator rig with a mop fly and Caddis pupa and by the time I leave an hour later I've caught seven nice Browns while he only caught one. IF IT WORKS USE IT! Only reason I refuse to use powerbait anymore is because too many fish swallow it, but I'll gladly drag crawlers across the bottom for Browns just as happily as I'll throw size 16 elk Caddis for Brookies.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9684
Re: What's new? 2016/09/21 08:49:24 (permalink)
I have some bright green, cream and pink on the way.  The cream and pink are balls of thread, so I can make longer variations.  I'm thinking they'll make some good panfish jigs.  I want to get my hand on a googly worm or similar and make some squiminators.  I bet panfish would be all over them.  
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: What's new? 2016/09/21 16:39:20 (permalink)
I use something similar to a mop fly, absolutely hammered stocked fish this year the brownies loved mint color

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/21 19:58:02 (permalink)
someone got a pic of a "mop fly"??

not sure I've seen one

Thanks

..L.T.A.
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/21 20:16:38 (permalink)

Pro Staff:

genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/21 21:36:54 (permalink)
thanks John
that looks like a fly even "I" could tie

..L.T.A.
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2982
Re: What's new? 2016/09/22 10:56:51 (permalink)
Mop flies is old news.
 Squirmy Wormies are the new thing.  Especially Pink.
No hatchery truck following fly competition angler should be without them.
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/22 11:29:33 (permalink)
Don't forget the infamous PA pink worm. 

Pro Staff:

genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/22 17:19:31 (permalink)
dano
Mop flies is old news.
 Squirmy Wormies are the new thing.  Especially Pink.
No hatchery truck following fly competition angler should be without them.

I can't keep up, Dano,
Last time I was paying attention, I think the hot "fly de jour" was laser yarn or sump'um
Or moe eggz
Or Vail eggs
Or beads
Or bunny buggers 
Or.....

And pink trout worms .
I've had some tremendous days in the worst conditions witbthem
No foolin' 
Gin clear, no flow, lock jaw suspended fish ....pink trout worm hooked in the middle on a #14 light wire scud hook.
No weight other than the hook...
Flip it in the hole, trough or run and watched fish from 30 feet away come after a suspended piece of pink rubber....

LTA.
dano
Pro Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/22 19:40:19 (permalink)
Pink squirmys are basically the same as pink trout worms except fly fsihermaen feel better using them becuase you tie them on the hook instead of impaling them. 
I guess if you tied a pink power worm on a hook, it could be considered a fly. I dunno.
Needless to say, worm don't fly so it can get confusing. 

genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/22 20:19:06 (permalink)
dano

Needless to say, worm don't fly so it can get confusing

only to those that care ....

..L.T.A.
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
Re: What's new? 2016/09/22 21:18:03 (permalink)
I prefer to just chum the heck out of the hole with eggs until all the elitist get mad and leave. Then pick up the flea pole behind me and catch them on dries. Just sayin'.  Almost time boys.

dano
Pro Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/23 05:29:47 (permalink)
genieman77
dano

Needless to say, worm don't fly so it can get confusing

only to those that care ....

..L.T.A.

It was for me.
I just got back from officiating a section at fly fishing tournament and thought this guy was fishing power worms. (rules state fly must be used).
I had to be told that his squirmy wormie was a fly and was legal. 

dano
Pro Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/23 06:03:01 (permalink)
They exist. They are deadly and will out-fish your mop fly.
(But they don't come in white)

Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/23 08:41:40 (permalink)
dano
They exist. They are deadly and will out-fish your mop fly.(But they don't come in white) 

The question is, do they work better than real worms? If it works I've been known to fly fish with red worms and catch everything from Trout to Bullheads. Don't prefer to do that, but for the a****** Trout (usually Browns...) that are suspended 10' in front of me and won't take a nymph that was bounced off his teeth...
crawlerman2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: What's new? 2016/09/23 09:59:59 (permalink)
Stillhead
I prefer to just chum the heck out of the hole with eggs until all the elitist get mad and leave. Then pick up the flea pole behind me and catch them on dries. Just sayin'.  Almost time boys.

I had a friend in High School that used to take a fly rod and act like he had no clue.  Snapping it like a whip all over the place.  Scare everyone out of the area and he switched to bait.  Really effective
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: What's new? 2016/09/23 11:22:27 (permalink)
genieman77
And pink trout worms .
No foolin' 
Gin clear, no flow, lock jaw suspended fish ....pink trout worm hooked in the middle on a #14 light wire scud hook.

I was almost embarrassed to bust 'em out the first time I used 'em because they looked so ridiculous to me.  I was having an OK day on shiners and single eggs, and then I put one of those on for the first time.  Wow!  

My boys and I fished for pellet heads a lot around home this year, and my 12 year old has a friend who started going with us this year and caught his first couple of trout on 'em.  I use them so much he calls me Bubbles.  
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/23 17:47:57 (permalink)
rsquared
genieman77
And pink trout worms .
No foolin' 

I was almost embarrassed to bust 'em out the first time I used 'em because they looked so ridiculous to me.  I was having an OK day on shiners and single eggs, and then I put one of those on for the first time.  Wow!  

My boys and I fished for pellet heads a lot around home this year, and my 12 year old has a friend who started going with us this year and caught his first couple of trout on 'em.  I use them so much he calls me Bubbles.  

Yeppers...
The other thing I love about em,  can't recall ever having an "in between" day with em.
In that, it was either immediate and continuous action, or none at all.

Dive, in years past, I used to carry a smorgasbord of flies and baits.
All the common flies and yarn and some not so common
As  well as a half dozen or more different baits..from eggs to minnows to red worms, crawlers, wax and maggots...gave that up after few years of hummping ALL that... But what I discovered, it was never a sure thing bait out fished flies.
Matter of fact, 'bout half the time flies out fished bait believe it or not.
So I can say without hesitation, its certainly possible those worms could out fish the real thing on some days

BTW, at that time when i was lugging all that stuff,I was fishing with a spinning outfit.
It was an easy transition to fly rod because I already had knowledge and confidence in flies.
The fly rod only made it better due to the ability to cast weightless as well as present offerings in a way impossible to do with spinning gear

LTA
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: What's new? 2016/09/23 18:08:48 (permalink)
crawlerman2
Stillhead

I had a friend in High School that used to take a fly rod and act like he had no clue.  Snapping it like a whip all over the place.  Scare everyone out of the area and he switched to bait.  Really effective

Ha!!! My kind of guy
I had tactic that worked fairly well when a cueball thought it fine/acceptable to squeeze in like they're fishing the stop sigh hole or other spots where "shoulder to shoulder" is the norm

I acted like a very polite, but clueless mook ..and cast over their line continually.
Reel it in, take for ever to untangle.. Apologizing the whole time ...being dumb..like a fox.

Most decided  there were better places to fish than next to "Forest Gump" 

LTA
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: What's new? 2016/09/26 19:12:42 (permalink)
Lololol that's when I cut my line retie my leader have my setup out before you can even return my flies 👍🏻 I practice that **** in the dark, time = money when your in the combat zone not sayin im the guy that cuts in but when I get cut in on that's my route when they keep crossing me
post edited by fishfashfush - 2016/09/26 19:16:02

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: