Sink tip to floating, one line?

Author
SteelCityAngler
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
  • Reward points: 0
2016/07/30 10:43:01 (permalink)

Sink tip to floating, one line?

Looking for some advice. Instead of carrying an extra spool of sinking line, is it possible to have a removable section of sink tip line? Like adding a MOW tip to a WF floating line. Basically, what I'm trying to achieve is to have the ability to indicator/nymph a run, then switch to a larger heavy swung fly on a larger river. I'm not familiar with the skagit or scandi head lines, but would they accommodate my needs?
If one would fit the bill what are the pro/cons of using them will nymphing, if any?
I'm using a 9ft 6wt and targeting trout and bass.
Thanks!

8 Replies Related Threads

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Sink tip to floating, one line? 2016/07/30 14:59:21 (permalink)
    What you want is called a poly leader, versi leader, or versi tip. They cast fairly well on the lines with heavier / shorter heads, designed for big flies or indicators or whatever.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Sink tip to floating, one line? 2016/07/30 15:00:28 (permalink)
    http://forums.fishusa.com/m/tm.aspx?m=554156 read here
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: Sink tip to floating, one line? 2016/08/03 12:09:53 (permalink)
    I use sinking leaders all the time for streamers on floating lines

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: Sink tip to floating, one line? 2016/08/08 10:16:50 (permalink)
    I've used store bought sinking leaders.  They don't sink very much, but are decent for shallower rivers.  I gave up on them quickly.

Then I started making 4', 6', 8', 10' sections of T-14 with loops nail knotted to either end.  They work better, but are tougher to cast.  However, the biggest issue I had with them is getting the loops into the guides and not breaking guides.  I gave up on them pretty quickly too.  A 6 weight will struggle mightily to turn over T-14 tips.

Extra spools & Integrated sink tips like the Rio Outbound Short, SA Streamer Express & Airflo Sniper lines are the way to go if you ever get at all serious about streamer fishing & I am. Everything else is wasting time, IMO.

Yes, obviously, there are other options, but all of the other options have major drawbacks for my fishing.
    SteelCityAngler
    New Angler
    Re: Sink tip to floating, one line? 2016/08/09 08:12:40 (permalink)
    I ended up buying a dedicated extra spool. I'll be trying an OPST commando head with Rio versileaders. The videos I have watched and Mark from opst pretty much sold me.
    Thanks guys
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: Sink tip to floating, one line? 2016/08/09 09:52:56 (permalink)
    As long as you don't have one of the high end reels where a spool costs $250+ it makes the most sense.  The time it takes to switch out spools isn't much longer than the time it takes to remove leader, attach sink tip, add leader, etc.  And you end up with a much more efficient system in the end.  Cheers.
    SteelCityAngler
    New Angler
    Re: Sink tip to floating, one line? 2016/08/09 10:13:12 (permalink)
    OKuma SLV, actually ended up buying the whole reel since it was only a few dollars more ha! Only use the Lamsons on steel and salmon.
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re: Sink tip to floating, one line? 2016/12/11 20:29:49 (permalink)
    I've used sink tips connected loop to loop in the same way your leader connects to your fly line with success. It seems crude, but I swear the fish don't care. The only real annoyance or issue you'll run into it pulling the loop connection through your rod tip eye. I just fight the fish to the point that I can hand the line to net them. Then you only have to reel your loops up to the tip.
    Jump to: