PIB and surrounding areas for Smallies

Author
KHNC
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points: 0
2016/06/22 14:27:41 (permalink)

PIB and surrounding areas for Smallies

Fishing sucks in the lake for Smallies in the Shades area in my opinion. Bay area much better.  Seemed like the dead sea last week. I hope thats not the norm for mid june. Im booked again for next summer same time. Here is a link with pics and full report  of our trip.

http://www.bbcboards.net/...;p=7450484#post7450484
post edited by KHNC - 2016/06/22 16:35:03

4 Replies Related Threads

johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: PIB and surrounding areas for Smallies 2016/06/24 09:24:46 (permalink)
    Some real nice fish there.

Much of the spawn seems to have occurred from late May into early june this year, so most of the fish are now either in postspawn mode, or into their summer patterns, so in the bay, it's not uncommon to find any remaining smallies near their spawning areas, or off the first breakline, or 5-10 foot depth change. Also really helps to slow down your presentation as much as you can, as they will often suspend on drop offs, seawalls, docks, etc, and they may not be in the mood to chase as they recuperate. 

How deep were you on the lake? Unfortunately, fishing the lake for smallies can be difficult in the summer, as they get finnicky, and hold very tight to offshore structure, so drifting can be hit or miss, unlike the prespawn and spawn. For summer, finding structure, schools of baitfish, and schools of bass is key, so it's crucial to have good electronics and knowledge of them. 

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

KHNC
    New Angler
    Re: PIB and surrounding areas for Smallies 2016/06/24 10:42:56 (permalink)
    I fished from 8'-25' in the main lake. Most of my time was spent from Shades to the W`s. Extremely hard to get bit by a smallie, but when we did it was by a quality fish. I did not intend to fish the bay as much as we ended up there. The weather and uncooperative fish forced us back to the bay several days. Don't get me wrong, I love to catch a lot of fish, but we were wanting to catch a few stud smallies. Only a couple cooperated in the main lake. Is it normally better mid june that it has been this year?
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: PIB and surrounding areas for Smallies 2016/06/24 11:58:24 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, I think this is a bit of a down year, because the weather has been was so crazy, we had a very warm March and early April, then most of May was cool, to the extent that there was snow in mid- May. Last year, i was up in both Mid-May and Mid-June, and slayed the bass both trips up. This year, I came up same weekend in mid- May, was slow, but came up in early-June, and slayed them.

It may also be worth moving a bit deeper in the main lake, as often in the summer, they hold around 25-40 feet on humps, depth changes, and ends of points.  

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

KHNC
    New Angler
    Re: PIB and surrounding areas for Smallies 2016/06/24 13:22:47 (permalink)
    Sounds good. It seemed like i had to get a **** long way offshore to find 25' of water. Also, that stretch of water from Shades to the W`s doesnt seem to have a lot of easily discernible humps. I guess that is the case with natural lakes vs reservoirs. Next year i will venture farther out if need be. Thanks!

Jump to: