Any Reports on Lake Fishing?

Author
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
  • Reward points: 0
2016/04/13 10:28:44 (permalink)

Any Reports on Lake Fishing?

Is anyone doing any good fishing either in the main lake or PIB? We were planning on launching the boat for the season this weekend but the guy making us a new canvas for the boat needs a few more days so we're going to put in next weekend (4/23) instead. Regardless, is anyone catching Lakers, Steelhead, Browns, Pike, or Walleye? It's weird to see the reports page without a single post for the lake, bay, or tribs for two weeks lol.

11 Replies Related Threads

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    Re: Any Reports on Lake Fishing? 2016/04/13 19:41:52 (permalink)
    https://m.facebook.com/blacktopcharters/?ref=bookmarks

Blacktop Charters
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Any Reports on Lake Fishing? 2016/04/13 20:23:27 (permalink)
    Ironhed
    https://m.facebook.com/bl...harters/?ref=bookmarks

Dang nice fish! I figured Pike would be more abundant and willing to bite this time of year than Musky but I guess you never know. Now I really wish I had my boat for this weekend, hopefully they're still there for the next one haha.
    bassackwards
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: Any Reports on Lake Fishing? 2016/04/14 07:45:16 (permalink)
    Trolled yesterday, tucked in by Thompson bay for an hour to shake down the boat. Once you got around the point it was too rough for me to do much by myself. Think I had 1 good hit on a shallow runner off a small board. Surface temp was around 41/42, upwards of 43/44 in the shallow sandy part of Thompson.  Need another week of warm up.

I just went out to run my new motor and see how I liked it. Figured I might as well see how slow it will troll without using bags. Was running at 1.8 with no bags out........too fast for this time of year. 3 more hours of break in time on the motor before I can run it hard.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Any Reports on Lake Fishing? 2016/04/15 10:33:09 (permalink)
    bassackwards
    Trolled yesterday, tucked in by Thompson bay for an hour to shake down the boat. Once you got around the point it was too rough for me to do much by myself. Think I had 1 good hit on a shallow runner off a small board. Surface temp was around 41/42, upwards of 43/44 in the shallow sandy part of Thompson.  Need another week of warm up. I just went out to run my new motor and see how I liked it. Figured I might as well see how slow it will troll without using bags. Was running at 1.8 with no bags out........too fast for this time of year. 3 more hours of break in time on the motor before I can run it hard.

1.8mph is too fast, what are you trolling for?
    brittman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: Any Reports on Lake Fishing? 2016/04/18 23:13:24 (permalink)
    I was thinking the same thing about the 1.8... Anyways we fished NE Sat. and didnt hit nothing. Blank screen most of the day except west down by the Ws in 50 to 52 FOW. Few guys said they picked a couple lakers up in 61 FOW but we checked that out and blank screen there also. Im guessing a few more weeks before it gets to be any good. 
    bassackwards
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: Any Reports on Lake Fishing? 2016/04/19 06:52:13 (permalink)
     I was fishing for anything with gills, as I said, I really wasn't too focused on fishing. I have a break in period with my new motor and wanted to get out where I could run it a bit and vary the RPM's. I only trolled for an hour, and even with that I was running the RPM's up and down during that hour. At a dead idle in gear I was around 1.8, which is what I expected. I always run 2 bags (port/starboard), so getting my speed down won't be an issue.

I don't necessarily consider 1.8 too fast for this time of year, but was hoping to see the 1.4-1.6 mph for meat chunking on spinners come late spring. I should have started with spoons over cranks.

Also, in shallow like I was off Thompson isn't exactly a hot spot this time of year unless some bass were moving.

A couple more hours of run time and I can troll as much as I want.

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Any Reports on Lake Fishing? 2016/04/19 07:15:58 (permalink)
    brittman
    I was thinking the same thing about the 1.8... Anyways we fished NE Sat. and didnt hit nothing. Blank screen most of the day except west down by the Ws in 50 to 52 FOW. Few guys said they picked a couple lakers up in 61 FOW but we checked that out and blank screen there also. Im guessing a few more weeks before it gets to be any good. 

Wow, guess we didn't miss much this weekend. Was it possible you were to far out? Last year we trolled in 70-100 FOW for lakers but that was late May and I've heard some guys catch them as shallow as 30 FOW in April.
    brittman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: Any Reports on Lake Fishing? 2016/04/19 13:23:11 (permalink)
    Divemaster
    brittman

Wow, guess we didn't miss much this weekend. Was it possible you were to far out? Last year we trolled in 70-100 FOW for lakers but that was late May and I've heard some guys catch them as shallow as 30 FOW in April.

Definitely a possibility of us being too deep with the water still being a little on the cold side. I make it up about once a week depending on weather so its a crap shoot sometimes trying to find them.  I think Im gonna give it a couple more weeks and see what is happening. 
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re: Any Reports on Lake Fishing? 2016/04/19 16:03:53 (permalink)
    Can I leave the riggers at home and drag spoons off 3 way rigs with 2 ounce pencil lead? Just a thought. Anyone drag Flatfish or just spoons? Maybe Im imparting too much Niagara fishing into it...
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Any Reports on Lake Fishing? 2016/04/21 08:34:51 (permalink)
    I know at least a few people have been having pretty good success for the past week or so, so if any of you guys can answer these questions either here or by PM, I'd really appreciate it!

PIB: How's the Steelie and Brown bite been? Flatlines, planers, or something else? Spoons, cranks, flashers, dodgers, etc? How about speed, I'm thinking 1.8-2.0 mph sounds good for Browns (plus adding a several foot leader of lighter line for stealth) and maybe 2.0-2.5 for Steel?

Main Lake: Around what depth range (not asking for coordinates or anything secret) have the Lakers been the most abundant in? I know Spoons will always work no matter what but I've heard some guys are getting them on Dodgers and flies and cowbells as well, any of you have success with these? Speed range I'm assuming is the usual 2.2-2.8 mph, right?

Sorry for all the questions and obviously nobody is obliged to answer them. I'm definitely not asking for any of your best spots, colors, leader lengths, etc. We'll be doing a lot of our own searching and trying to different things this weekend, I'd just like to have a point of information to start at. Thanks again, all!
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Any Reports on Lake Fishing? 2016/04/21 08:35:52 (permalink)
    joebaker79
    Can I leave the riggers at home and drag spoons off 3 way rigs with 2 ounce pencil lead? Just a thought. Anyone drag Flatfish or just spoons? Maybe Im imparting too much Niagara fishing into it...

If they're shallow enough that would probably work. We'll be trying some Flatfish this weekend, I'll let you know how we do with them.
    Jump to: