Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
  • Reward points: 0
2016/02/25 11:23:42 (permalink)

SOL

The NYSDEC State of the Lake meeting for central western NY will be Monday March 14, 2016 from 06:30 until 09:00 PM at Carslon Auditorium in the Chester E. Carlson Imaging Science Center Building at Rochester Institute of Technology 

97 Replies Related Threads

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: SOL 2016/02/25 19:35:47 (permalink)
    http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/bulletins/138b3f7#.Vs-aalURgbA.facebook

Tuesday march 8th at the Pulaski high school  for local guys.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: SOL 2016/02/25 20:21:39 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for posting. Ain't no way I can make either dates - trip although I'd sure like to. Hope some do and it's informative. As you all know we are waiting to hear the effects of the last 2 seasons on the lake. Maybe, hopefully, there will be positive news towards the future

Edit :
    I would like to see a SOL held in Albany
    post edited by hot tuna - 2016/02/25 20:23:52

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/02/26 07:08:35 (permalink)
    For Release: Thursday, February 25, 2016

DEC Announces State of Lake Ontario Meetings

Biologists to Update Status of Lake's Fisheries

The public will have the opportunity to learn about the State of Lake Ontario fisheries at public meetings held in Monroe, Niagara, and Oswego counties in March, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Acting Commissioner Basil Seggos announced today. Lake Ontario and its embayments and tributaries support thriving populations of fish, including a variety of trout and salmon, bass, walleye, yellow perch and panfish.
    "Lake Ontario and its tributaries provide world-class angling opportunities" Acting Commissioner Seggos said. "Under Governor Cuomo's NY Open for Fishing and Hunting Initiative, Lake Ontario's high-quality fisheries and associated economic benefits are thriving. The State of Lake Ontario meetings provide an excellent opportunity for individuals interested in the lake to interact with the scientists who study its fisheries."
    New York's Lake Ontario waters comprise more than 2.7 million acres. A 2007 statewide angler survey estimated more than 2.6 million angler days were spent on Lake Ontario and major tributaries. The estimated value of these fisheries exceeded $112 million annually to the local New York economy.
    The meeting dates and locations are as follows:
    • Thursday, March 3: 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Building, 4487 Lake Avenue, Lockport, Niagara County. The meeting is co-hosted by Niagara County Cooperative Extension and the Niagara County Sportfishery Development Board.
    • Tuesday, March 8: 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. at the Pulaski High School auditorium, 4624 Salina Street, Pulaski, Oswego County. The meeting is co-hosted by the Eastern Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout Association. In the event of heavy lake-effect snow, the meeting will be held at the same time and location on March 9.
    • Monday, March 14: 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) campus (Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science building (76-1125) - Carlson Auditorium), Rochester, Monroe County. The meeting is co-hosted by RIT and the Monroe County Fishery Advisory Board.
    Staff from DEC, the United States Geological Survey, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will make a number of presentations, including updates on the status of trout and salmon fisheries, forage fish, and stocking programs. Staff from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry will also be in attendance. The meetings will provide ample time at the end of the scheduled program for the audience to interact with the presenters.
    Information about DEC's Lake Ontario fisheries assessment programs can be found online. For further information contact Steven LaPan, New York Great Lakes Fisheries Section Head at Cape Vincent Fisheries Research Station, (315) 654-2147.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    Re: SOL 2016/02/26 19:20:32 (permalink)
    My daughter has been getting mailings from RIT to join their prestigious university...Alas, it's too far from home for her taste...
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/02 18:55:47 (permalink)
    I probably will attend the one in Pulaski. I will take notes.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: SOL 2016/03/03 08:50:14 (permalink)
    SOL is obvious by all the non existent recent fishing reports and the lousy Lake reports early this year as well as poor Fall fishing experiences.
    ( am disregarding reports of folks trying to make a living through fishing for obvious reasons-
     no offense to them intended.)
    We are most all frequent flyers here and most had very similar observations both this season and last.
    This has- in no way-IMHO- been the fault of the NY Fishery folks but of Ma Nature.
    No place left to look but up.
    A fortunate warm winter will undoubtedly put a better outlook on things over time.
    We will see--think a cautious positive outlook will prevail.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2016/03/03 09:02:48
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/03 10:35:36 (permalink)
    Trev,
    In all due respect, I think they are aware and their preliminary reports from their trawls & surveys indicate that things are not good on the big pond right now.
    I'm pretty sure their SOL meetings will report that and hopefully have a plan of action
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/27068.html
    post edited by hot tuna - 2016/03/03 10:37:20

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/03 16:31:56 (permalink)
    edit
    post edited by r3g3 - 2016/08/11 22:44:35
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/03 17:46:54 (permalink)
    Trev,
    All I can say is my target species will be giant lakers on the Great Lake Ontario more often then not this season.
    If I hit some browns early enough after stripers on the mighty muddy then that's a bonus but my doubts are cast as boats are already out there ( Ontario).
    A king or 2 would be a plus. I may be older but I know when the bottom is full of nice fish, I will ride that wave . My tactics may be different though then others and hope it plays out .
    The salmon WILL return , it's the king that feeds the peasants you know

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/03 20:52:13 (permalink)
    Hope you fill the boat Tuna- you deserve it after last year

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/08/11 22:45:24
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/07 11:22:55 (permalink)
    The last actual SR fishing report on this Forum is from Clint on 12/15.
    3 months ago.
    Generally there are winter reports from members -sometimes many.
     THAT is the state of the lake IMHO.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/07 12:11:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for the well wishes Trev . We already have a contingency plan in place , dead drift live bait for lakers or straight jigging them . I'm cool with catching & releasing them all day , any day .
    Speaking of the SOL:
    I have read some exerts from the Rochester meeting :
    Salmon hit a 13 year low . Stocking will be on target for this year .
    Lake trout stocking will not meet target due to hatchery problems but remember , last season was a 300,000 increase over previous targets .
    Alewives :
    Adults are thriving , YOY are not . Spring trawls will provide needed info on whether they have to enact an emergency plan .
    That's all I got for now.
    As for river reports :
    Mine will be non existing because honestly , I have no future into the river fishery.
    Good luck and be well

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/07 13:17:51 (permalink)
    The Rochester meeting does not occur until March 14.  The meeting last week was in Lockport.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/07 14:40:06 (permalink)
    10-4 lucky .
    Did I hit the points pretty accurate as you may have read as well ?

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/07 18:45:57 (permalink)
    If this migraine goes away I think I will hit tomorrows.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: SOL 2016/03/07 20:44:16 (permalink)
    Hey guys, have any of yinz seen this stuff coming out of Washington State?

https://weather.com/news/news/salmon-caught-near-seattle-tested-positive-for-wide-range-of-drugs 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/07 21:56:18 (permalink)
    Haven't read the entire article btdt but C&R works well if you don't inhale

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: SOL 2016/03/07 22:12:34 (permalink)
    10-4 on the "don't inhale" so, your saying, don't smoke em? (lol)

Pretty scary stuff, finding drugs in the systems of the people eating the fish.

We have a 'like story' with the Susquehanna River here in PA. but I don't think anybody was ever tested for the suspected drugs said to be destroying that fishery.

While I got ya on the line congratulations on your success with getting 'The Mae' out of her winter storage.  I've Been There Done That and know the relief of beating the mud.

Tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/08 09:46:42 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    10-4 lucky .
    Did I hit the points pretty accurate as you may have read as well ?

Yes, I saw Hilts' article, and you summarized.  Also saw an article in Eastern Flyfishing that quotes Fred Kuepper as the educator at the Hatchery, and his bottom line is that what we saw is the result of the extreme weather.  I still want to hear what was found re thiamin levels.  I was hoping to get up there today and go to the meeting in Pulaski tonight, but things came up here, and I'll be at the meeting here next week.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/08 18:29:56 (permalink)
    I am sitting here now waiting for it to start

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/08 19:49:37 (permalink)
    Dance, Dance, Dance but no answers

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/08 21:39:34 (permalink)
    I will post a summation from my notes tomorrow. Needless to say there was alot of dancing around, putting off, changing the subject and saying we just don't know regarding the low numbers.  Then there were the  folks lobbying for C&R and shutting down the fly zone in the winter due to freezing fish. . It was a State of the Lake meeting not a lobbying and complaint meeting. There was one in particular who had to be told ''we are not going there tonight'' several times.

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/09 19:04:38 (permalink)
    Here is my summation. Some of it RJ hit.  Easements are set to be signed this summer. (Altmar I a am guessing, he did not say where). 
    For 2015 low stockings on walleye, steelhead, Coho. Everything on target or 2016 except Lakers.
    Fin clips and tagging for Ho's starting this year to determine wild vs hatchery and yearling vs fingerling survival. It has been determined that pen reared fish are surviving 2x better so they will be looking into more pens.
    Boat survey
    Lowest success on  salmon since  2002. (must have missed the %)
    Browns down 27%
    steel down 40%
    Trib creel also was down significantly
    Alwifes
    We have a stable population now BUT that is due to record spawn in 2013 giving us alot of 2 year old fish. 2014 and 2015 were the lowest numbers since the 90s meaning that in 3 years when the 2013 year starts to die off and decrease spawning efficiency there will be no fish to take their spots. They VERY briefly touched on thiamine deficiency due to cold and then swept it under.

There were alot of maybe it could be this, we can't say for sure it was that, we don't know if the salmonoids died, tests were inconclusive. No one wanted to even venture a guess or say anything, it was danced around and then pushed aside.  They were asked about a possible large 4 yr old class this year and they said that less than 3% of all fish are 4 yr olds and most are smaller and did not mature that's why they are 4. It is highly unlikely there will be more 4 yr old fish.  They really had no answer on where the fish are.

Steelhead
    It was emphasized that steelhead is put and take and they really could care less about natural repo. They have no plans to clip steelhead in the future to determine natural repo from what I gathered. If things keep going they will look into lowered lake limits for steel

An interesting tidbit.
    Canada does not, will not and can not stock Ho's. They made some deal with our gubment to not do so.

Any questions I will try to remember what was said if I can 

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/10 07:31:07 (permalink)
    It is not rocket science.  The fish have a normal life expectancy which says most mature at 3 years in the lake.  If they do not return at 3 years, they are not in Bermuda on vacation, they hit the mud someplace in between.  The "why" is a lot more rocket science and since one season or even two is short for harvesting data, they will not have definitive answers, and these guys will say that they could hypothesize all day, but it is all speculation.

"They have no plans to clip steelhead in the future to determine natural repo from what I gathered. If things keep going they will look into lowered lake limits for steel".
    They did have plan for this but it was down the list from the coho project just getting started.  Numbers from this on steelhead do not have much effect because they are not pushing the steelhead envelope, there is a lot more carrying capacity in the lake than there is for Kings, where the natural reproduction could impact alewife populations,.  But there are controlled studies and they take at least 3 seasons so it will be a while before the steelhead study is up. 
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/10 13:27:48 (permalink)
    In regard to easements--
    Could it be this ??
    A couple of years ago when they were building the nice riverside  walkway through town I was told of a plan to do a similar thing all along the same side of the SR from the town pool on downriver for some distance.
    Was told at the time there were some private areas involved and those pvt areas were being worked on legally.
    Made sense as we know the area up from the long bridge below the Town pool is private and posted.
    Mentioned it in a post back then but never heard of it again.
    Also- if the easements aren't yet signed I don't blame anyone  if they keep quiet about them.
    The person I spoke to was a very reliable source and I proceeded to put it in a post which I wouldn't do with simple 'river chatter'.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/10 18:05:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for attending and reporting Clint :
    Here are my concerns / questions
    Invasives - program
    Gobbies - how are they affecting the fishery and what is being done if any as a control , aka lake trout ?
    Lamprey - is there still a program in place to use chemical in the streams
    Zebra mussel - is the zooplankton being so consumed that the alewives are in jeopardy

See to me it's about the forage base of the lake , without that you can stock all the fish you want but the end result will be for nothing .

Oh yea, what are the bloaters / herring stocking results . Also what is the state of emeralds and smelt in the lake
    Thanks again

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/03/10 18:35:56 (permalink)
    Ah Rich I can at least throw a partial answer to all.
    There were a few questions and answers about Gobies. At this point they are not concerned too much about them.  There was some concern about Lake Erie bass and how the Gobies may be responsible for the poor fishing devastating nests. As far as the Lakers they said they have been around for 10+ years and we have a good laker population now so now worries yet.

Lamprey program is still in full effect and will continue to be a priority.

Nothing said about Zebras, but good point. They did say that there is plenty of food for the alwives and weather "may '' be responsible for last two year spawn decline.

One bloater was caught in last Years trawling and they were happy about that, nothing said about emeralds and smelt

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: SOL 2016/06/06 14:45:23 (permalink)
    June 1, 2016
    Lake Ontario Stakeholders:
    Maintaining the Lake Ontario trophy Chinook salmon fishery depends on having sufficient numbers of
    alewife to feed them and maintain good Chinook growth. A record‐high year class of alewife was
    produced in 2012 (the 2012 “year class”), however, reduced survival of the 2012 year class did not
    increase the adult population as managers expected in 2014 when these fish reached age 2. The two
    severe winters/cool summers of 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 resulted in very poor 2013 and 2014 alewife
    year classes, and the 2012 alewife year class likely makes up the majority of the current adult alewife
    population in Lake Ontario. The Lake Ontario Committee (“LOC”: Steve LaPan representing the NYS
    Department of Environmental Conservation [NYSDEC] and Andy Todd representing the Ontario Ministry
    of Natural Resources and Forestry [OMNRF]) is concerned that without young alewife to replace the
    adults that are eaten, there may not be sufficient alewife numbers to support trophy Chinook salmon in
    a few years.
    The preliminary results of the spring 2016 bottom trawl survey for alewife conducted by the NYSDEC, the
    U.S. Geological Survey appear below. Since this is the first year that OMNRF staff conducted alewife
    trawling, there are no comparable data to compare it to. The NYSDEC/USGS survey provides an index of
    relative abundance (i.e. how this year’s catch compares to other years; it is not an estimate of actual
    numbers of alewife in the lake) of both the adult alewife population (fish age 2 and older) and 1 year old
    or “yearling” alewife (i.e. those fish that were spawned in 2015, or the 2015 “year class”). In Figure 1,
    please note that adult alewife abundance index declined markedly from 2015 to 2016. Also, the estimate
    of the relative size of the 2015 alewife year class (i.e. the bar for 2016 in Figure 2) measured at age 1 is
    well below the 1994‐2015 average. Since these fish will contribute to the adult population next year when
    they are age 2, the LOC does not expect a marked improvement in the adult population in 2017. Our
    science staff will continue their analyses of these data, and will develop projections of relative alewife
    abundance in 2017 and beyond.
    The LOC’s current concerns are not related to adult alewife abundance in 2016; we will not be surprised
    if fishing is excellent in 2016, and Chinook size is good as well. Our concerns surround the adult alewife
    spawning population in 2017 and beyond. Since a large portion of the adult alewife population should be
    composed of fish ages 3 ‐ 5, the LOC expects several years in the immediate future when the size of the
    alewife population will be greatly reduced. The LOC has asked the Lake Ontario Technical Committee to
    work together and provide the LOC with an assessment of the relative risks associated with a range of
    management options this summer.
    Best regards,
    Steve LaPan, Great Lakes Section Head, NYSDEC
    Andy Todd, Manager, Lake Ontario Management Unit, OMNRF
    Figure 1. Relative adult alewife (age‐2 and older) abundance index (average number caught per 10‐
    minute trawl tow) in the U.S. waters of Lake Ontario during late April – early May, 1978‐2016.
    Figure 2. Abundance index (average catch per 10‐minute trawl tow) for yearling (age‐1) Alewife in the
    U.S. waters of Lake Ontario during late April – early May, 1978‐2016.I'm

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: