Helpful ReplyPA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
  • Reward points: 0
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/12 16:24:05 (permalink)
Lots of opinions here ...kinda what keeps the conversation going.
No need to get upset when someone disagrees with you its just a fishing fourm.

One of these days I learn how to catch those fish that are not there...WCW
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/12 16:51:21 (permalink)
mike55
So we just walked 3 miles and are dead tired...
heh.
mike55
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/12 16:56:00 (permalink)
FishinGuy
mike55
So we just walked 3 miles and are dead tired...
heh.

LOl 3 miles down 3 miles up. 
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/12 17:15:25 (permalink)
Mike are you going? If so, are you going to address people in person the way you do online? If so, I would like to come and witness that!

Seriously though, can someone record this, at least audio, then post it?

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
mike55
Novice Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/12 23:38:16 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
Mike are you going? If so, are you going to address people in person the way you do online? If so, I would like to come and witness that!

Seriously though, can someone record this, at least audio, then post it?

To the meeting? I may go. I will be wearing a fish erie jacket and will hammer down on anyone who is for C&R or a limit change. I Would love to stand up and applaud all the people who want less fish in a stream. We love having a ratio of 75 percent fisherman 25 percent fish. Makes so much sense. LOGIC.
post edited by mike55 - 2016/01/12 23:41:57
mike55
Novice Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/12 23:39:31 (permalink)
workcanwait....
Lots of opinions here ...kinda what keeps the conversation going.
No need to get upset when someone disagrees with you its just a fishing fourm.

One of these days I learn how to catch those fish that are not there...WCW

Its so easy to catch fish that are not there. All you have to do is walk.. WALK TO ANOTHER STAE LMAO!

Don't voice your opinion on limit changes or ways to better the fishery. You may get slaughtered.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 06:16:53 (permalink)
If you weren't being rude for being rude's sake, you might have found these discussions much more reasonable.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 08:23:55 (permalink)
My current dream fix would be -
-1 fish limit
- they must be 24 inches long
- open Elk Creek the entire length you must stay within the streambed
-PFBC spend money on more/better stocking NO MORE PARKING LOTS!

WCW

FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 08:53:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby old dog 2016/01/13 09:01:56
If there's a one fish limit, erie stamp sales would likely take a big hit. Then where would the money come from for better stocking and easements? 2 would be somewhat reasonable, but 1 is just silly for a hatchery supported, put and take fishery.
Erie Mako
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 445
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 09:06:24 (permalink)
If there was a 1 fish limit, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my weekly serving of Honey-Sesame Steelhead...
On our boat, if it is Chrome...it's going home!

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 09:16:31 (permalink)
Mmmm. Got a recipe? Looks good.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 10:09:23 (permalink)
I remember the time, many moon ago, when my buddies and I built a smoker from an old refrigerator and we tried using trout.  We took the remains of the fish down to the creeks edge thinking a fox, coyote or, raccoon's might have a meal of them.

Surprised the hell out of me when I found the trout laying on my back porch the next morning.

As for the smoked portions of the fish...  they brought those back too!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 10:29:06 (permalink)
FishinGuy
Mmmm. Got a recipe? Looks good.

I'm at work today, will send you the recipe after I get home tomorrow, not very difficult at all, it is based on a salmon recipe.
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 10:44:28 (permalink)
old dog
k, have you ever tried it with an avocado dip?  it's soooo good.

Sounds interesting... maybe I 'll start a 'recipe thread' tomorrow when I get home and we can share some preferred recipes, that way we don't totally hijack this thread, lol
mike55
Novice Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 12:26:28 (permalink)
FishinGuy
If there's a one fish limit, erie stamp sales would likely take a big hit. Then where would the money come from for better stocking and easements? 2 would be somewhat reasonable, but 1 is just silly for a hatchery supported, put and take fishery.

I disagree. If there was a one fish limit people would still go and fish.

Question For the people that keep every steelhead they catch.... Would you still do it if it was c&r? You have to get some kind of enjoyment out of hooking or fighting the fish right? You are telling me you would never go again if it was c&r?

Personally I believe it should be a two fish limit. Still a lot of fish if you get two keepers.

The size limit is the biggest issue IMO. These jacks being roped up is getting out of control.

I believe the stamp sales will only fall out if people keep going up and are having issues finding anywhere to fish or fish period.

Btw fishinguy,

Its a "put and take fishery" because PFBC believes everything in the state should be. There are some states that believe in size limits and lower fish limits for a better fishing experience to drive up license sales. It works.
post edited by mike55 - 2016/01/13 12:32:13
Erie Mako
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 445
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 13:44:05 (permalink)
Question For the people that keep every steelhead they catch.... Would you still do it if it was c&r? You have to get some kind of enjoyment out of hooking or fighting the fish right? You are telling me you would never go again if it was c&r?

We don't keep every one we catch.

We also try to keep the crippled ones that we feel won't survive if released...like ones that have Lampreys stuck on them and they are about sucked dry.
We release youngsters and smaller fish.

However, we do target them in the late Fall before the boat gets put away...half dozen or so in the freezer do get eaten over the winter.
So to answer the question, no...we probably wouldn't target them if C&R and just put up the boat a month earlier!

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 13:44:45 (permalink)
Stamp sales would remain the same. Any tributary that flows into a creek that goes into Erie requires a Erie stamp.

When fishing a creek 50 minutes from Lake Erie for trout. You now need a Erie stamp and a trout stamp since its a tributary.

1 fish limit Aug 1 to end of oct must be 20 inches

Nov 1 to trout opener. 2 fish limit. 20 inches.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 14:31:16 (permalink)
Erie Mako
Question For the people that keep every steelhead they catch.... Would you still do it if it was c&r? You have to get some kind of enjoyment out of hooking or fighting the fish right? You are telling me you would never go again if it was c&r? We don't keep every one we catch. We also try to keep the crippled ones that we feel won't survive if released...like ones that have Lampreys stuck on them and they are about sucked dry.We release youngsters and smaller fish. However, we do target them in the late Fall before the boat gets put away...half dozen or so in the freezer do get eaten over the winter.So to answer the question, no...we probably wouldn't target them if C&R and just put up the boat a month earlier!

You guys should try for them in August too. That's when we fish them the most and it's a heck of a lot of fun catching big silver bullets in 100 FOW, especially when they're jumping in every known direction every 10 seconds!
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 14:40:02 (permalink)
1 fish limit in NY and now even more people fish up there then b4.
Ignore the situation and there will be less lic sales no doubt.

WCW
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9692
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 14:47:27 (permalink)
H3Fisher
Stamp sales would remain the same. Any tributary that flows into a creek that goes into Erie requires a Erie stamp.

When fishing a creek 50 minutes from Lake Erie for trout. You now need a Erie stamp and a trout stamp since its a tributary.

What about trout opener to Aug. 1?  You've got to keep them somewhat available to the boaters.  Those guys generate a lot more tax revenue to Erie than the average trib angler.

I like the 20" thing.

I could definitely see stamp sales going down if 1 fish limit, regardless if just the "early season" for the tribs.  Guys driving 2-3 hours +, are not going to make the drive for 1 fish (if they are in it for the meat too).  I would bet a huge chunk of Erie stamp sales come guys living over 2 hours from Erie, many of which are already about to stop buying stamps.  Go from 3 fish to 1 (especially during the "nice temperature" portion of the run), and guys will stop paying.  2 @ 20" is definitely enough, and addresses the jack issue.
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 14:49:50 (permalink)
Divemaster
Erie Mako
Question For the people that keep every steelhead they catch.... Would you still do it if it was c&r? You have to get some kind of enjoyment out of hooking or fighting the fish right? You are telling me you would never go again if it was c&r? We don't keep every one we catch. We also try to keep the crippled ones that we feel won't survive if released...like ones that have Lampreys stuck on them and they are about sucked dry.We release youngsters and smaller fish. However, we do target them in the late Fall before the boat gets put away...half dozen or so in the freezer do get eaten over the winter.So to answer the question, no...we probably wouldn't target them if C&R and just put up the boat a month earlier!

You guys should try for them in August too. That's when we fish them the most and it's a heck of a lot of fun catching big silver bullets in 100 FOW, especially when they're jumping in every known direction every 10 seconds!

We are fishing walleye then, we do catch some steel (and they are fun!) but we don't target them in deep water for a couple of reasons.... the depth (and therefore the amount of line) is much greater and lengthens to amount of time it takes to get them into the boat (and therefore stress on the fish). Fish which were stressed harder are often not in good shape to go back, and we don't need a large number in the freezer and prefer they be less stressed and from colder water when caught....
And the darned things can really screw up a spread of lines! So again, in shallow water in late fall the short line lengths help reduce tangles and potential loss of gear.

And for what it is worth...even when we do troll for them in the fall we still use the walleye rods with 30 lb braid and 20lb leaders...if I plan to even possibly release fish I prefer they have been brought in quickly to give them the best chance of going back...I don't believe in fighting them to exhaustion to get them to the boat.  we may miss some bites by not being 'stealthy' but I am fine with the numbers we do bring in.
post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2016/01/13 14:51:45
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 14:59:14 (permalink)
mike55
FishinGuy

I disagree. If there was a one fish limit people would still go and fish.

Question For the people that keep every steelhead they catch.... Would you still do it if it was c&r? You have to get some kind of enjoyment out of hooking or fighting the fish right? You are telling me you would never go again if it was c&r

I would not fish for them if solely C & R.... would agree with EM... we would put the boat up early and our long weekends would not be spent at camp in Erie, they would be spent on the lower Potomac river chasing Rockfish....they are every bit the fight (and more) and yes, I have some great recipes for them also!
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 15:46:21 (permalink)
Porktown
H3Fisher

What about trout opener to Aug. 1?  You've got to keep them somewhat available to the boaters.  Those guys generate a lot more tax revenue to Erie than the average trib angler. I like the 20" thing. I could definitely see stamp sales going down if 1 fish limit, regardless if just the "early season" for the tribs.  Guys driving 2-3 hours +, are not going to make the drive for 1 fish (if they are in it for the meat too).  I would bet a huge chunk of Erie stamp sales come guys living over 2 hours from Erie, many of which are already about to stop buying stamps.  Go from 3 fish to 1 (especially during the "nice temperature" portion of the run), and guys will stop paying.  2 @ 20" is definitely enough, and addresses the jack issue.

You are spending $60+ in gas for the trip. I l know cause I go up almost every weekend from Sept till ice over. You can buy steelhead / salmon in the store for cheaper.

This tells me people go up for the enjoyment of fishing and just getting out of the house. If I hit the powerball, i'll buy elk creek and post it all for C&R only. Caught keeping fish, i keep your car lol.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 15:59:31 (permalink)
I would definitely go if it was all catch and release because-I love fishing and I love the area.
However I do enjoy the taste of fresh steelhead that I filet and cook myself, and I do use the eggs from a couple fish per year for egg sacs.
AGAIN-the problem is deeper than a limit change here folks. If they propose changing it, fine. But something else is amiss.
One last request for someone to record the pfbc meeting audio and post the link somewhere please. Thanks.

freshwaterdrumR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 603
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 17:07:37 (permalink)
You guys do realize that these fish can swim into canada,  ohio, or NY and get caught right?  You do realize canada commercially fishes steelhead right? You do realize that on the canadian side of Erie they hammer steelhead all summer long from boats right? Like I said in another thread.  This isn't some small inland lake or delayed harvest.  Lake erie is a huge ecosystem.  Simple releasing more fish wont solve all the problems...
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 17:13:11 (permalink)
Agreed freshwater. Which again brings us back to...then why are the returns less now than 10 years ago, all other things you've mentioned being equal? I'm hopeful the pfbc has some ideas and solutions. If not, I guess ill start roping carp.

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 17:48:45 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
Agreed freshwater. Which again brings us back to...then why are the returns less now than 10 years ago, all other things you've mentioned being equal? I'm hopeful the pfbc has some ideas and solutions. If not, I guess ill start roping carp.

It would be interesting to see how the Canadian fishery handles it's commercial limits, with advancements in sonar and GPS/mapping there could be an uptick in harvest the last 3-5 years.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 18:53:05 (permalink)
Fisherlady2
Divemaster
Erie Mako

We are fishing walleye then, we do catch some steel (and they are fun!) but we don't target them in deep water for a couple of reasons.... the depth (and therefore the amount of line) is much greater and lengthens to amount of time it takes to get them into the boat (and therefore stress on the fish). Fish which were stressed harder are often not in good shape to go back, and we don't need a large number in the freezer and prefer they be less stressed and from colder water when caught....And the darned things can really screw up a spread of lines! So again, in shallow water in late fall the short line lengths help reduce tangles and potential loss of gear. And for what it is worth...even when we do troll for them in the fall we still use the walleye rods with 30 lb braid and 20lb leaders...if I plan to even possibly release fish I prefer they have been brought in quickly to give them the best chance of going back...I don't believe in fighting them to exhaustion to get them to the boat.  we may miss some bites by not being 'stealthy' but I am fine with the numbers we do bring in.

That's true, those things do tend to screw with rigs more than 'eyes. We had a 9 pounder swim around a Downrigger cable a couple times in late August and that was admittedly not fun to fix, although I still managed to land the fish somehow! I won't argue that they stress more in deep water, but they're pretty hardy fish (compared to Brook Trout and Smelt) and I don't think they stress any more than walleye and people don't complain when they're throwing up their swim bladders to the point that it looks like a big tongue haha.

Feel like I'm kind of derailing the thread, but, have you guys ever caught any chromers over 10 pounds trolling in open water? That's one of our goals for this season but I'm thinking it's not going to be as easy as it sounds.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 20:23:07 (permalink)
112 miles from my driveway to Poor Richards -  I'd still fish for steelhead if the limit was 0.  Been doing it now for 12 or 13 years I guess.  Kept 3 or 4 over the past year, and maybe 4 or 5 total in the previous years combined.

It'd be cheaper for me to buy 3 packs of salmon fillets at Sam's Club and smoke it, than it would be for me to drive to Erie and catch 3 steelhead when I factor in gas, bait & tackle and food.  

mike55
Novice Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/13 22:01:21 (permalink)
Divemaster

Not that I blame you for doing it or that I really care but a lot of fish are killed before they ever even get to run this way.

bringing a steelhead up from 100 feet of depth will probably kill it. Fish get gas embolisms and other related barotrauma if you bring them up to fast from depths that deep. Especially a trout.

You are probably hooking tons of them and most die later after release.

100 feet of water is deep.

Humans can get this scuba diving as well.
post edited by mike55 - 2016/01/13 22:13:51
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: