Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Dan
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 92
  • Reward points: 0
2016/01/05 17:20:35 (permalink)

PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking

The PA Steelhead Association will have their next monthly meeting on Wednesday, January 13, 2015, at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held at the Millcreek American Legion Post 773, 4109 W. 12th Street in Erie. The guest speaker will be Edward Mascharka III, President of the PA Fish & Boat Commission Commissioners

This should be a great meeting with an interesting and informed speaker. The meetings are open to the public. If you want to hear what's going on with our fishery, come to the meeting!
Thedrift
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/07 03:47:34 (permalink)
Thanks for the headsup.

I hear some not so promising data on returns will be released.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/07 04:52:05 (permalink)
I can't make that date but it would be interesting to know, how much of the general budget once allotted to the trout fisheries is now being diverted to do the work of the EPA at the Susquehanna River.  Also, did I misread an article saying the PFBC "donated" ($50,000.00) money toward the project in addition to the funds the "SOS" campaign has generated?

Perhaps any "SOS" buttons not needed for the "Save Our Susquehanna" project could be "donated" to the trout loving anglers for a "Save Our Steelhead" campaign".

Tight lines and good luck to those hoping to save your beloved fishery.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

eggsacks4life
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/08 11:49:53 (permalink)
Keep roping fish and returns will continue to worsen.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/08 12:59:25 (permalink)
I never rope the fish but I don't think that is the reason for the low return.Back in the glory days many people were roping Steel and there were plenty of returns the next year.But then things changed and returns dropped.I hear theories of there are way more Walleye out there eating the smolts as they enter the lake.Some say increasing the size of the smolts could help,etc.I don't know what the answer is but I think it has to do with what is happening out in the lake not roping the fish when they come back to the streams.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/08 17:43:47 (permalink)
1 fish limit would help the situation and by situation I mean fishing lower Elk 3 days in a row and only catching 1 and it was small.
No one else catching.
Water was clear today I searched couple miles of stream they are just not there.
By far the worst I have seen it!
I still enjoy getting outdoors but fishing has been terrible.
Plenty of trash in the parking lot thanks slobs I cleaned up after you again!!!
I might make it to the meeting never attended b4 but curious about the PFBC stance on things.
Rant over...WCW
Thedrift
New Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/09 10:15:07 (permalink)
Spoke with the owner of a bait shop up at grand river yesterday. We had a great conversation. He told me Erie is stocking about 1/10th the amount of smolt they used to. Not sure how true this is but based on my local fisheries I know regular trout stocking has been slashed significantly.

The amount of smolt in Elk last year was very disappointing. As said by multiple members on the forum, they are usually such a nuisance. They seemed to not even be an issue last year. Not good.

Not sure who is in charge of all of the steelhead stuff in Erie but can they not see a decline in license sales coming if this keeps up?

Ohio will become the primary lake run fishery if they do not do something fast.
post edited by Thedrift - 2016/01/09 10:19:33
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/09 10:48:20 (permalink)
I will agree for whatever reason the smolts were not a nuisance last spring on elk when I was around.

I am local and will continue to fish tribs for steel as something to do in down time when conditions allow it but talking to a lot guys who drive long distances who are not coming back until next fall or at all.

I believe the 2 cold winters have caused problems for the runs Lake Ontario tribs are seeing less steel too but there is an additional problem here in Erie tribs in my opinion just not sure what.

I had some conversations with other fishermen this week everyone seems to be shaking their head.

Here comes WINTER... maybe when things thaw out we will have an EPIC spring runs that surprises us all...WCW

H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/09 21:53:08 (permalink)
Wish this was streamed online. I would love to see what they say because its not "World Class" any more.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/09 22:19:35 (permalink)
Yeah I hear u H3F I think I am going just 2 hear more from PFBC or others its currently my home waters.
I doubt it will change anything but I should get up there to see what these meetings have to offer.

I and others moan and groan on here but is there anything else we could do to help turn things around???

WCW
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/09 22:39:25 (permalink)
Thedrift is in the ballpark, there has been and will continue to be a cut back in the PA. Trout program state wide.   Money from the general coffers once used for the trout program and supplemented by the trout stamp is now being used for other "clean water" projects.  

Rumor has it, "clean water projects" that the EPA should be overseeing but won't.

SOS is one such program.

But I'll stand corrected by whatever the guest speaker has to say.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Thedrift
New Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/10 13:54:31 (permalink)
Personally wont be able to make it. I hope some people who care can and speak up at the meeting. I have yet to come across anyone who has not complained this year. Leaving now... Trout run had nothing but moldy fish in it and very few. Creeks are blown. Personally i believe there is still a decent amount of fish. Low water and warm weather has the fish staying out in the lake. New york had terrible runs this year. Its not just erie.. But i cant stand seeing 18 inch ja ks roped up anymore. A size limit needs placed big time.. A 2 fish limit would help as well and get people off the creeks faster who are there to eat and not fish all day. Not enough fish for the amount of fisherman anymore.
joebaker79
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 805
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/10 19:04:49 (permalink)
The stocking numbers are not even close tp what they claim. Ive seen the creeks in the spring. A few hundred smolts where they claim 14000 were put. Recently a guy who drives one of the trucks has been on other forums supporting this....saying the fish they put in erie creeks is about a tenth of what they are saying they put. Just some more wood on the fire on this subject.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/10 20:43:21 (permalink)
joebaker79
The stocking numbers are not even close tp what they claim. Ive seen the creeks in the spring. A few hundred smolts where they claim 14000 were put. Recently a guy who drives one of the trucks has been on other forums supporting this....saying the fish they put in erie creeks is about a tenth of what they are saying they put. Just some more wood on the fire on this subject.
its about time. Honestly, is 100 fish in every hole anywhere close to natural? I'd prefer to walk to find just a few fish. Just gonna take a few seasons for the crowds to thin out to rational levels.
mike55
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/10 21:35:58 (permalink)
FishinGuy
its about time. Honestly, is 100 fish in every hole anywhere close to natural? I'd prefer to walk to find just a few fish. Just gonna take a few seasons for the crowds to thin out to rational levels.

Very few things are "natural" about the lake runs.

100 fish per hole not natural? Go to Alaska. There are holes with thousands of silver fish.

So sick of the logic.

More fish = more room = a better experience for everyone.

People don't drive 4 hours to walk miles and struggle to find fish.

BTW crowds wont "thin out" over time as long as people are even catching a few of these.

Its annual fall/winter tradition for people to go steelhead fishing in Erie.

Give it up there is an issue and now we get to hear the commissioner talk out of his a**

post edited by mike55 - 2016/01/10 21:41:57
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/10 22:00:58 (permalink)
If the issue is simply that they're just stocking less, I'd be OK with that. Would you? A bigger size limit would be fine by me. A man made unnatural put and take fishery is pointless without the take part of the equation imo.
mike55
Novice Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/10 22:19:46 (permalink)
FishinGuy
If the issue is simply that they're just stocking less, I'd be OK with that. Would you? A bigger size limit would be fine by me. A man made unnatural put and take fishery is pointless without the take part of the equation imo.

I would not be ok with them stocking less. There are too many people. If you dont get in certain holes you are not going to catch fish.

A bigger size limit forsure.

I am ok with the 3 fish limit as long as they are stocking lots of them.

Used to love walking and catching fish. Not enough to do that anymore. All fish gather in the popular holes overnight and are wiped out in a few days. Lots of people getting skunked because they simply can not find fish. Not cool.
post edited by mike55 - 2016/01/10 22:20:54
joebaker79
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 805
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/10 23:45:29 (permalink)
Stock whatever the number is...just dont say its a million when it might be 100k.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/11 11:00:05 (permalink)
I will come mupere to fish as long as they stock em.
It is the general consensus that there are less fish. But that doesn't excuse being a not so good fisherman. Everyone has a bad day once in awhile. However I see no reason for people to get skunked all the time, then blame something besides them self. It's not THAT hard to catch a FEW. Out of 8 times fishing Erie this fall, I got skunked twice-and both of those I had only two hours to fish after working.
Not saying I'm great, cause I ain't. But even the times that I had the skunk, I saw other guys hook and land fish.
I'm tired of hearing some people complain about no fish because THEY didn't catch any. Guess what? Someone else DID catch fish! Maybe you were in the wrong spot, doing it wrong, not using light enough line, not getting down to the fish in your drift, using too big a fly or bait, spooking fish by wading into the hole, wearing bright colors and making a commotion in low clear water, smacking that water into a froth with your terrible "roll cast", etc etc etc.
Sometimes I gotta look at myself first before blaming other factors for my fishlessness!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/11 11:01:29 (permalink)
And I totally agree-If they aint stockin a bajillion, just say so, so we can adjust our expectations. And then yes, MAYBE adjust the limit.

troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/11 11:21:07 (permalink)
I'd be perfectly satisfied with the current numbers of fish if there weren't a million people on the creeks every day. There's been days this year where if it wasn't for action during the first couple hours of daylight, the rest of the day would have been a bust.....catching wise. You find a nice piece of water with fish to yourself first thing in the morning, then after you work over those fish and start covering water to find more.......whadduya know there's already somebody fishing over the next group of fish. By the time afternoon rolls around most of the fish have either been caught/foul hooked already or are extremely skittish from all the people.

Granted there has been some pretty darn good days with favorable conditions, good numbers of fish present in the creek, and manageable numbers of people for the amount of fish.......but that has been the exception. Frigid temps help. As a whole.....it's been a rough fall.

We can only hope that crowds thin out to rational levels in the future, but as long as the "steelhead craze" is still going on, people will continue to drive from hours away to fish the PA streams for these fish. #chrome #swingin #simms #rope'emandsmoke'em

In the grand scheme of things we should all be happy that we have these non-native sportfish to fish for. They're a bonus. But they're a bonus worth saving........unless we can magically bring wild brookies back to these creeks. Soon the Manchester Hole will be loaded with bighead and silver carp
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/11 11:30:53 (permalink)
Like fisherofmen376 said, it's still not all that hard to go up and catch a few. Heck, even on the REALLY good days there's still people that get skunked. Not because of very low numbers of fish, but their fishing ability.

There's still fish to catch if you know what you're doing and know where to go. Locating fish to yourself that haven't been thoroughly worked over just isn't as easy as it used to be.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/11 11:40:46 (permalink)
troutguy In the grand scheme of things we should all be happy that we have these non-native sportfish to fish for. They're a bonus. But they're a bonus worth saving........unless we can magically bring wild brookies back to these creeks. Soon the Manchester Hole will be loaded with bighead and silver carp

Pssssst, clean water and responsible harvest are always the key to healthy wild Brookie streams, shh it's a secret don't tell anyone. In all seriousness though, I don't see a problem with stocking 1,000,000 brook trout instead of steelhead to fill the gap for the lake-run tributary fishery. Even if they're not naturally reproducing (neither are the steelhead, to a certain degree), the species itself is still native. Just like lake trout, the federal government is stocking superior-strain fish to attempt to develop a wild, self-sustaining population and while that hasn't occurred yet (presumably due to higher than usual sea lamprey and round gobies numbers) the species is still considered native. I can say that I personally would spend a lot more time on the Tribs if it was big, native, lake run brook trout I was fishing for instead of exotic Pacific Steelhead or European Browns. But that's just me personally.
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/11 11:45:10 (permalink)
^I would be all for that if they can successfully pull it off. Just not realistic. We can dream though!
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/11 11:51:20 (permalink)
troutguy
^I would be all for that if they can successfully pull it off. Just not realistic. We can dream though!

I think it'd be possible. Just slowing shift stocking over several years from steelhead to brooks. Maybe 900K steelhead and 100K brooks the first year, then 750K steelhead and 250K brooks the next year, 500K of each the following year, then 250K steelhead and 750K brooks, and finally 1,000,000 brooks and no steelhead from then on. That would allow for the lake and stream ecosystems to have time to adjust to the species change and for anglers to adjust their tactics. A lowered limit of 1-2 fish each day plus a 20"+ size restriction would also help the Brookies get started. And with any luck, maybe there would be some natural reproduction too! Unfortunately, I think the largest problem with that plan would be the retaliation from devout steelhead guys. But, like you said, we can dream.
mike55
Novice Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/11 18:16:00 (permalink)
fisherofmen,

You think just because the people next to you caught 5 or 6 fish that means there is fish through the entire creek? When you have 500 fisherman and 500 fish it makes for a terrible experience.

Simply look into holes during lower water flows. Steelhead are easy to see. They are not there. Its simple. Everyone who has been doing this a long time knows it and that's why the commissioner is giving a speech.

Hooking 5 or 6 fish a day is not good. Sorry to say if you are pulling numbers like this you either have no idea what you are doing, you are new to it, or the fish are not there.

troutguy,

You do not need to fish at daylight to catch steelhead. They actively feed non stop in the tribs. The food source is too low for them not to. You can hook fish from daylight till dark. You probably stopped catching fish because you hooked the 5 that were in front of you and struggled to find anything the rest of the day.

-------------------------------------

Everyone on this forum,

If your idea of going up and finding fish is hooking 5 all day you have no idea how fun it used to be.

Going up with a group of 3-4 people and only hooking 10 fish in holes you used to hook over 100 in? Ya not cool. 2 fish a piece is totally worth a 3 hour drive. "WORLD CLASS ERIE"

There are people who have been doing this 20 plus years like I have.. We know how to catch these. Ask any local how awful the tribs are now and they will tell you.

Until there are 400 fisherman and 10000 fish its going to be frustrating.

Ohio is stocking 90k smolt a year per creek. Erie probably stocked 9k per creek last year.
post edited by mike55 - 2016/01/11 18:17:38
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/11 19:10:24 (permalink)
mike55
troutguy,

You do not need to fish at daylight to catch steelhead. They actively feed non stop in the tribs. The food source is too low for them not to. You can hook fish from daylight till dark. You probably stopped catching fish because you hooked the 5 that were in front of you and struggled to find anything the rest of the day.

Exactly. Got done catching fish at the initial spot, and that's when everyone else got out of bed and the creek was packed. Finding fish that didn't already have people on top of them or fish that weren't already caught/snagged was extremely difficult.

These are the days when there's no water in the creeks and literally more people than fish. Judging from your posts you should understand.

Every day certainly was not like that of course, but more than one or two in October and November. Yes steelhead can be caught all day if they haven't already been beaten to death and trampled on.

Last week I had a very good evening on Elk. One of the best this season. Awesome conditions, good numbers of newer fish in that section, and not a ton of people. Fished last Saturday too and picked up fish up until I left later in the afternoon. It's amazing what happens when there's water in the creeks, some fish, and not a million people around. 
post edited by troutguy - 2016/01/11 19:56:23
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/11 20:08:21 (permalink)
Mike, that's not what I said. Are you capable of discussion without trying to demean or condescend? Cause it seems like you believe you are the authority on everything from Alaskan salmon to Erie steelhead. Maybe you are. But guess what? The most brilliant or experienced people in the world don't have to tell everyone how much they know or rattle off credentials and experience every two seconds.
I come to this forum to talk fishing with people I respect. I've met some cool dudes over the years here. I hope that continues.

glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/12 08:54:06 (permalink)

-------------------------------------
 MIKE:
Everyone on this forum,

If your idea of going up and finding fish is hooking 5 all day you have no idea how fun it used to be.

Going up with a group of 3-4 people and only hooking 10 fish in holes you used to hook over 100 in? Ya not cool. 2 fish a piece is totally worth a 3 hour drive. "WORLD CLASS ERIE"

There are people who have been doing this 20 plus years like I have.. We know how to catch these. Ask any local how awful the tribs are now and they will tell you.

Until there are 400 fisherman and 10000 fish its going to be frustrating.

Hey Mike, The runs are off so deal with it. What's with the numbers obsession?  Bob and I have been doing it for 30 years plus, if we hook 10 fish, we are very happy. 5 fish, no prob, still a good day. Hell, I remember before the "Glory Days" when 1 fish was something to cheer about. It's about the fishing, not the catching.    Glen
mike55
Novice Angler
Re: PA Steelhead Club Meeting / PA F&BC Commissioner speaking 2016/01/12 15:18:33 (permalink)
Glen,

My idea of "fishing" is not having to walk 3 miles from your car to find any sort of decent water because there are so many people. Then when you find that decent water you might hook 3 to 5 fish. So we just walked 3 miles and are dead tired to hook 3-5 fish? Ill pass.

fisherofmen,

For years the c&r guys or even the guys who suggested limit change were shredded to pieces on here. Don't cry about me demeaning people when 80 percent of you on this forum would jump all over anyone with an opinion on the health of the fishery in the past.

A lot of cool people on here for sure. But a lot of them just want to gang up on people with an opposite opinion. Just returning the favor to all of those that felt the need to run everyone down with a c&r or limit change state of mind.

Don't see much of the limit change guys getting bashed now do we? Wonder why.
post edited by mike55 - 2016/01/12 15:23:36
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to: