Ct--

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Ct-- 2016/11/29 10:02:11 (permalink)
LMAO R3.....

Just reading your post and thinking of your situation with the dirtbikes.

I turn as I tuck my phone back into my pocket and less than fifty yards, out of the woods into now a wheat field, pops a Dutchman.

I'm going home and when I get there I'm going to stomp my feet followed by a severe case of pouting.

If the deer were bedding in that area they are now deeper into the bayou and may even be on the other side.

Whitetail will, if not caught the first time, come back into estrus 30 days later so, I am told. But I will venture to say, the rut didn't start till late the second week and not heating up till the third week of Nov. this year.

Hopefully, the first round is just winding down and I for the first time in 10 years will be able to kill PA. Buck.

ALTHOUGH...... I would enjoy doing that, so much more, if I were using a pointy stick.

I know I could be hunting with bow and pointy stick now but at my age, it's best not to "look a gift horse in the mouth". Or should that be "deer"?

Please excuse me while I begin my pouting.

Stupid Dutchman........

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Ct-- 2016/11/29 10:36:15 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

Whitetail will, if not caught the first time, come back into estrus 30 days later so, I am told. But I will venture to say, the rut didn't start till late the second week and not heating up till the third week of Nov. this year.

2 and 4 years ago, my son killed bucks on the second Monday of the gun season that were dogging yearling/that year's fawn does.  Same exact spot both times.  The bucks fell about 10 yards apart.  

Very low pressure area though, and we were pretty much the only ones hunting this 25-ish acre block of timber during gun season.   

I hunted a backyard/suburban type spot in 2B on Friday with the crossbow that I haven't hunted in a few years, and saw two 1.5 year old bucks that showed absolutely no signs of rutting behavior.  No does were seen on the hunt, but there are plenty around, hence my invitation from a friend to please shoot some of the deer that are overrunning and destroying his and his neighbor's yards and landscaping.  Both bucks just slowly meandering and browsing on their way to feast on the back yard buffets.  
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3066
Re: Ct-- 2016/11/29 11:57:23 (permalink)
A few weeks back there were a number of scrapes on the ground in a 50 yard area 40 yards  in front of my best stand- where I saw all them flatheads opening day.
Bout a week before that while turkey hunting had seen a scrub 8pt chasing a doe in that general area.
Checked the scrapes on the way out yesterday and they were covered with leaves and untouched for  a long time- no tracks on the big trail through the thicket they are in either.
Zip activity.
Neighbor and I checked the dates and observed activities--the second rut here should start late this week.
Have seen it different from here and some PA reports in years past.
Yes -Deer of the year can go in heat late in the season- heck some have witnessed  breeding into Feb.
Kinda like a dog IMHO- come in first time at around 8 mos.

Good luck out there Square hope your son connects again.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Ct-- 2016/11/29 12:16:41 (permalink)
r3g3

Good luck out there Square hope your son connects again.

He broke his middle finger and had to have some pins put in it 3 weeks ago.  Pins came out yesterday, but it's his dominant hand and he's not ready to shoot a rifle yet.  Doc thought that wouldn't go too well - either control or recoil in that hand, even though he shoots a .243.

He can still shoot a crossbow though, and was doing it with the surgical wrap.  A bit awkwardly, but it worked since his pointer finger and thumb were free.  Have a few spots where he can hunt with that that are too close to houses for the rifle anyway where we'll hopefully get him set up in the blind on Saturday.  Archery safety zone in PA is now 50 yards.  Rifle is 150.  Can set him up about 100 yards from other houses in a few spots that should still be holding some deer even with all the gun hunters out and about.  Heck, both of those bucks he shot he could've shot with a crossbow anyway.  Both were under 30 yards broadside standing still when I stopped 'em mid chase.    

If he doesn't want to hunt, I've got 2 doe tags to fill in different management units.  One tag is in all season.  The other, doe doesn't come in till Saturday.  Wouldn't feel right for me shooting a buck with him in his situation.  Though I'd be awfully tempted if it was a big one.

Hope those bucks get back on their feet for you R3.  
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/11/29 13:41:57 (permalink)
Used to hunt up around Sugar Grove PA where my Dad came from.
Did  it there for a few years back around the late 60s and a few before that with Moms family down around Mauchunk ( now Jim Thorpe) Pa.
Spent a lot of time in Sugar Grove area  back then.
One Buck and done days, cept for a 2 day doe season late in the year which I never did.
Used to say that if ya didn't see around 20 flatheads a day out around Sugar Grove ya had your eyes closed.
The only landowner  signs around occasionally said 'no doe  hunting'- ya could walk most anyplace--was great.
Lost touch with most 'out home' and many have passed.. Been a long time.
Was looking at  houses over in Jamestown Ny area and over around Lottsville Pa once around 7o but then a good job came up here in Ct.
Guess thats kinda why I like the Pa boards.

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/11/29 13:52:32
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/11/29 14:02:26 (permalink)
I don't know about Sugar Grove but I know what I use to see in my little piece of Penn's Woods and last evening was the first time I've seen anything similar over the past several years.

Don't know if it's because of the mild winter, changes in the antlerless Doe regs, the logging that took place East of me or a combination thereof. But it sure was exciting to see so many deer on opening day.

Now if they would just do away with the stupid antler restrictions.

I would be eating backstrap for dinner.

Relocated to my ground blind for this afternoon. Hoping any deer the Dutchman chased out might return along the bayou's edge, making their way out to do some munching in the field.

Believe it or not, I just heard six shots fired in rapid succession coming from my West.

Can't wait till next year when all the boys will be hunting "The Pennsylvania Wilds" with their AR15s. JOY!!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/01 22:06:47 (permalink)
Well  the Zoo is open again--
Rained pretty good past 2 days so I didn't hunt.
Went in about 11 AM today and quickly had a couple bounce up a hill in front of me and as I stood there somebodys dog pushed 5 past me as fast as they could run. Think that's what pushed the 2 up the hill too.
Had a real high pitched sound kinda like a little girl squealing instead of a bark - looked like a Malamute with a big turned up bushy tail. Have been hearing that sound off and on there since bow season mid Sept. Could never figure out what it was. He  turned and ran off when he saw me. Some guys will shoot them running deer.
Went in and sat for about 3 1/2 hours and 2 doe with 4 skippers came in to about 35 yards-- passed.
Had kinda thought I would take the first skipper offering a shot buttttt-
LOVE deer liver with bacon and onions and there are consumption warnings on adult liver.
Try and get a skipper now and then mostly for that----and the 'cut it with a fork' roasts.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/01 23:19:30 (permalink)
Would be something like Veal I would think, being from a very young animal.

That liver thingy though.... Bleah!!. You can have my share but the heart, now that there is worth arm wrestling over.

My nephew took a nice buck today and earlier in the day, got some super video of two black bear around his stand.

Now that's hunting to remember.

Hang in there r3 I'm seeing some pictures, coming from your way real soon.

Good luck.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/05 18:53:09 (permalink)
Hit the zoo bout noon today for 3 hours-saw either 5 or 8 -perhaps 3 were seen twice.
It was brown and down day and I never shot- never had that perfect opportunity soo- passed.
Make it a point to pick my shots very carefully.
Went to the Ruger #1 long ago .
Had a great day though.
Not one itty bitty little horn seen yet  - except while Turkey hunting  lol.
Generally take a mature buck most seasons--oh well -- most aint always..

That was it for rifle passing flatheads waiting to mr no show.
NOW--- on with blackpowder---
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/12/06 19:49:11
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/14 19:56:23 (permalink)
Been out a lot this muzzle season and have been passing despite saying brown and down every am to myself.
Saw 7 flatheads today on a mid day hunt.
One year and a half old doe approached to about 30 yards several times as I stood against a tree. She barked several dozen times at me.
Couldn't bring myself to shoot.
She would approach, bark,stomp and stare at me then turn and hop off to about 75 yards-sneak off a few yards to my left  and repeat the whole approach.
She did this many times over about a half hour until a mature doe approached  and the two walked off together
Think she may be the same one that kept approaching my blind -leaving and returning -on opening day - barked many times then too until a doe came along and took her away.
That old ma ma doe has her work cut out for her with this curious blabby daughter lol
Good thing there is no other hunting around that area- haven't heard a shot in 2 years.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/12/14 20:01:27
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/14 22:16:13 (permalink)
Great story r3, I had no problem seeing you leaning against the tre and the doe showing her discontent with you being there.

Say, if I might ask, you remember the snow I sent your way and I believe you said you would return the favor?

Umm... would you be terribly upset if I said ENOUGH ALREADY!!! lol

PS. I know that feeling about shooting a doe..... their just soooo darned cute.

Good luck, got my fingers crossed for ya.

woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8505
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/15 09:25:56 (permalink)
break out the smoke poles

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/16 15:07:37 (permalink)
Went out today in the high teens with a bit of wind.
Froze my old butt off for  few hours.
That rotten black dog chased Deer right by me-again.
Wont let that happen too many more times.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/16 20:36:22 (permalink)
wanted to shoot mine in today but have gut issues....it still should be on with 70 gr. 50 cal. round ball. Pa hunter carbine

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/16 22:36:28 (permalink)
Good luck out there
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/19 19:50:10 (permalink)
Hadnt been out to the back line since meeting with Blabby last week.
They like to feed and bed up there around midday so kinda snuck in  SLOW  around 11 AM today.
Ice age left huge rocks all  over the place -some the size of an Suv-amid the many large Oaks and Beech in the area. The young Beech are still holding leaves and its a place where Deer can jump out real close while still hunting.
 Got near my sit spot on a blowdown and took a long look at the South East facing hillside opposite the rise I was on- fresh sign had been abundant all the way in.
A Doe stood up angled very slightly away at about 70 yards. Put the scope on her aiming at the far front leg and fired.
She buckled, turned, and ran off with her tail up- Four others stood at the shot and were with her as she topped the hill and disappeared.
Gave it a half hour and went to the shoot spot to find zero blood or hair.
Then tracked over the hilltop-they had run together so couldn't tell whos tracks were whos.
Took three that had angled off together on the far side and went about a hundred yards on them-on top of the 50 to the hilltop- no blood.
Went back and took a fourth  track and  after about 50 yards found ONE DROP of blood.
Ok -----a LONG day ahead.
Went back to the beginning and retraced this particular Deers sign. YEP --ONE DROP.
OK-- VERY slooooowlly tracked and looked around constantly. NO more blood.
After a while she started to stumble and leave scrapes in the leaves on the hard to follow track.
NOOOO not a broken leg low shot ???
Many yards further she lay dead.
Shot had been perfect  in the ribs and low - out right behind the far leg- right where I wanted it.
Not a drop of blood on either the entrance  or exit holes or on her mouth- nor was any on the ground under her.
When I gut - her heart was ripped all up by the shot and her front cavity was full of blood. ( 50 cal sabot)
NEVER had a heart shot deer go so far or bleed so little.
Had I not seen her buckle at the shot it woulda been real easy to say - oh well - a miss- after the hundred yards she ran (before the one drop) with no indication whatsoever of being hit.
Homey don't play dat though-  always follow up as long as possible.
Got a week or so left but may not be out again- never saw a horn all year.
(cept in turkey season lol)
But what a really GREAT year -sometimes the Deer gotta win.

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/12/19 19:54:41
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/19 21:57:39 (permalink)
Great story r3 thanks for sharing and congratulations.

Be next Monday before I can get back into my tree but, count me in......... 10-4!!

woodnickle
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/19 23:47:09 (permalink)
Nice shooting....good tracking is a must for sure...good job

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/20 01:21:30 (permalink)
Congrats,and a excellent job of following up your shot. Many guys fail to do this resulting in many wasted deer. About 4-5 years ago someone cracked at a big mature doe on opening gun season,she stumbled down the hill and ended up dying about 40 yards from me,the hunters never followed up on his shot,end of the day I field dressed it and pulled it to the road. Someone got a free deer,at least it wasn't wasted. I'm looking forward to flintlock/ bow season I've got a buck back tag and two doe tags left,something going to get shot. I'm not liking the 14 day forecast,no snow.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Ct-- 2016/12/21 11:40:42 (permalink)
RUT--
Ours was pretty much over before gun season started and I never saw any indication of the usual second rut.
Last year in the same area fresh scrapes continued through mid December and Bucks were seen throughout the season-both rifle and muzzle.
This year- other than scrapes a few days old on the first day NONE were found.
After shooting the Doe a day or two ago -while dragging- saw a NEW scrape with only one leaf laying on it.
The area had great mast crops, many Doe, both years and there is Zero hunting pressure all around.
My Deer are natural movers and not pushed so I see it as it naturally happens.
Bucks were seen early during Turkey and none seen all gun season.
Season to season things can really change.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/12/21 11:43:44
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: