Helpful ReplyAllegheny River boating questions

Author
sueleelane
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2015/10/04 09:56:13 (permalink)

Allegheny River boating questions

After I graduate Nursing school I am buying a boat to play on the river with. Can someone let me know what type of boat I should get? I want to be able to fish and entertain. Pick up some friends and cruise. I'd like to be on the river and not freeze during the colder season. I heard that the river is only 9 feet deep is that correct and what does that mean as a person buying their first boat? I live right here in Pgh and want to enjoy that river. I have a dream. ..
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: Allegheny River boating questions 2015/10/07 19:37:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2015/10/09 14:05:34
Pontoons work well, we go out on our friend's on the allegheny below lock three a few times a year. Although personally I'm more a fan of big cruiser/fishing boats in deep water in erie haha. Around here it can get to 30 feet or more at some of the locks and some open stretches in the river that are 20 feet or more. I've never seen his fish finder read over 30 feet but I'm sure there's a few spots. Then there are some shallow riffles that take up half of the river that are not even a foot deep and I can walk across the river from the bank to an island in the middle, so you have to be careful of those spots when boating. I've always had much more luck shore fishing than boat fishing locally (and the opposite in erie) but that's just my personal experience. Hope you find what you're looking for!

PS, You might get better answers if this was in the Southwest PA section of the forum.
post edited by Divemaster - 2015/10/07 19:39:19
solitario lupo
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: Allegheny River boating questions 2015/10/09 12:25:20 (permalink)
depends on what stretch of the river your going to be putting the boat in. the allegheny river can go to 30 ft and to 9in in some places. the only way to travel the whole river would be a flat bottom boat with a jet motor.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9681
Re: Allegheny River boating questions 2015/10/09 16:55:58 (permalink)
What these guys said is pretty good.  I too have had much more success wade fishing than a boat in the rivers.  But you can definitely catch fish from a boat.  If you put the time in and figure things out, you will be better from the boat.  If you are looking for a large boat that you can cruise on and hang out with more than 2-3 other people then a pontoon is your most economical way to do it.  Nice new ones are about the cost of a new car.  Some of those 25'+ cruising boats you see guys pulling up to the stadiums, have house like price tags when new.  They require a heavy duty pulling vehicle.  Marina fees if keeping on the water are very expensive, you can dry dock at some marinas for much less though.  Even used boats at that size, are rather expensive.  You can find some deals though.  They might not be the prettiest thing out there, but get you out running around, and not require taking out a loan.  The fish/ski style boats are a good hybrid.  18' needing some TLC (likely needing work every few weekends) ~ $4-$5k.  In decent shape ~ $10-$12k.  In good shape ~ $20k.  New ~ $35k.  All of them will be a hole that you toss money into.  If you really like it, you won't mind.  

http://www.tritonboats.co...odels.aspx?boats=441,,
Jump to: