Helpful ReplyPast and present fishing days.

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2015/09/27 09:49:23 (permalink)

Past and present fishing days.

Just firing up this thread for any fish talk or photos. Feel free to comment as needed no limits just keep it somewhat related to fishing. Fishing has been slow in our NW area, fished Shenango and it's tough fishing but the weather has been good. A Pymy hog caught and released a few years past. 

King from shore fishing Ontario

Laker from Niagara shore fishing

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/09/27 10:11:59
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/27 10:29:54 (permalink)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/27 13:07:57 (permalink)
Anybody get any photos from on top Shenango Dam yesterday ? Wish I had known about the open house sooner would have snapped a few.

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/27 19:22:14 (permalink)
i started fishing pymy in the early to mid 70s and within ten years i was fishing there up to 100 times a year.  gas was cheap and i had no responsibilities other than to myself.  what a time it was.  i swear i waded every foot of the south end on the ohio side and most of the north.  what a time it was.  we would use size 11 floating raps in silver color, painted with a few coats of clear finger nail polish for walleyes in the spring and fall.  the limits were 8 fish and a minimum of 13 inches back then.  countless nights it was easy to limit out on fish around 20 inches.  as soon as the fish moved back into deeper waters, we pursued them by trolling or drifting with harnesses, homemade of course, as well as cp swings tipped with crawlers.  floating jigs were also on the menu, rigged as a slip rig.  there was an island off of poplar grove picnic grounds back then (now completely eroded away) and the fish would hang off of the shoal.  we pounded them there with a north or south wind.  later we would fish the onion field on the north end and off of clark, harris and whaley islands.  just awesome slab and walleye fishing.

as summer waned, the smallmouth fishing would explode. we'd nail really nice fish, up to 22 inches, on size nine floating raps and shallow running shad raps, once they were introduced.  

that lake has always been so generous to me.  i know i paid my dues but she never forgot.  such great memories.
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/27 21:06:07 (permalink)
Those are some monster fish Hook
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/27 23:30:46 (permalink)
Great story on Pymy......thanks.  I too fished Pymy in the 70's every Saturday morning we would load the boat with gear (beer and cigarettes included) we fished the Linesville area then. Wind drifted crawlers and minnows on the bottom for Walleyes. Some of the best days I remember were the windy cloudy days. We never slammed the Eyes steady but we always caught a few keepers every trip. Had a fantastic spot for slab Crappie back then. There was a big Pine tree that fell in the lake on the back side of the one island. It was almost completely submerged in about 6 - 8 ft. of water. We would anchor just about on top of that tree and drop our lines in those fine pine limbs just under the water.....wham! Just filled the cooler up with nice slabs of White and Black Crappies. What was amazing back then was the smaller the minnow the better. We ran out a few times with those tiny minnows and those Crappie would not touch the bigger Walleye Fatheads.   

Another midnight hour Pymatuning bull. 
post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/09/27 23:45:19
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/28 23:59:52 (permalink)
Shenango Lake ,  photos taken............while fishing

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/29 04:25:44 (permalink)
Yes many fond memories of Pymy in to 70's. Limits of eyes where norm year round. Fished the spillway and the waded the rocks in front of the spillway back then a handful of locals where the only guy's fishing it. Fished the outflow below the dam till mid March and caught many limits drifting a minnow on my flyrod or throwing a twister tail on the spinning rod. Wading almost every island shoreline throwing big floating raps and south and north gravel shores. Drifted homemade Colorado blades with leeches or harnesses with crawlers in the spring,then discovered Hot an Tots and really crushed them. Fall fishing was some great times caught two giant eyes one night fishing big chubs off a point in Jamestown park across from the stone building with the water gates. They where my first 30 inch fish 11 and 12 lb,never caught a 10pounder in Erie in the 15 years I was a weekly regular. Snodgrass produced many limit on hasty Oct,Nov days. Colder than a witches you know what and winding but 18flow and a sonar or silver buddy filled the stringer many days. Many surf and turf days,morning duck afternoons and night eyes.Ice fished out off Snodgrass all winter,they where there just like the fall same program .Best day through the ice was 42 eyes to get 6 keepers. I fished just about ever hotspot there was and some you may not know. Ever fish the stream that runs into the propagation side behind the school in linesville ? It was a great producer in the spring  I drift a creek chub on a bobber set just to have the bait tickle the bottm, drift it to the wire and bam. The  Beaver kept a close eye and me and got to know me well. He was a detecated warden that braved the elements just like me. He'd always tell me the lake dropped a foot from all the eyes I caught. It's was my go to lake year-round till we start going to Erie.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/29 10:01:07 (permalink)
Great story Tuna ! Sounds like you had the best of the best. Those were some trophy Eyes you took out in the day. Funny you mention that creek I took my son there many years ago after a tip from an old timer I worked with and we caught several very nice size Largemouth Bass. We too spent many day in the lower outflow and took out many legal size Walleye especially in the dark hours. Best day on the lake was with a friend and my son, we boated somewhere in the high eighties of Walleyes , most being undersize but talk about a lot of action! I had to buy my own boat after that trip . My best Walleye is a 9 lb.er I caught from shore at night up at Erie tossing Rap's. I don't count trolling Eyes where it's your turn, my turn, his turn.  
My son with a couple of Out flow Eyes............

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/09/29 12:33:58
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/29 12:38:33 (permalink)
Great stories fellas, pictures too.  Any angler that can't see the stories and memories contained in a picture, just does not understand much about "gone fishing".

Gotta say though, If I weren't around during the "good ole days", I would be thinkin' like many of today's younger angler.  You guys are "blowing smoke"!!!!!!

What ever do you suppose caused such a drastic change from the 70s;  80s; even the 90s?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/29 16:05:10 (permalink)
the fishing pressure, imo, is lighter than the 70s.  i can remember when large flotillas could be seen at mosquito lake in ohio and pymy.  hundreds of boats, akin to the perch pack, drifting and trolling over eyes.

i may be wrong but i think the advent of modern electronics has really hit the fish populations hard.  back in the day, the only electronics were in the shape of the little green box.  we all carried maps with Xs and notes all over it.  we knew areas like the witches cap, the onion field, the red barn, etc and info was passed, not by cell phone, but by land phone or word of mouth.

though i don't fly fish much, i think that is why i appreciate those guys so much.  they know their terrain like we know our back yard.   no electronics involved.  if i ever get another boat, i'm not sure if i will have a fish finder aboard.  at least not in the beginning.  i'll rely on memory......or what is left of it.....lol
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/29 16:07:37 (permalink)
big tuna, we had a small creek on the ohio side that saw a lot of white eyes at night.  tons of fish including some brood sows.  we stayed away from fishing it for years, thinking the hanky panky going on there would possibly help the walleye population but we were deluded.  years later some of my buds fished the creek and did quite well.  love those small areas.

one thing definitely better today than in the past are waders that breathe and are lightweight or made out of synthetic materials.  the old canvas waders had the life expectancy of a fruit fly and the 'made in korea' steel shank rubber waders were bullet proof and easily repaired, but they were so hot in temps about 75.

post edited by rap - 2015/09/29 16:57:21
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/29 16:14:00 (permalink)
as for the good ole days, i remember fishing a small lake almost in opsman's backyard.  in the late 60s the bluegill we caught were so big that they'd cover a saucer.  slab-hogs.  pymy gave up crappie that had mouths like bass. i know they still get them there but there was little effort in finding them back then.  most didn't even want them, they were after the walleyes.

i may be wrong but it does seem that the channel cat fishing at pymy has become much better.  i've never kept one for the frying pan but have spent some summer evenings having a ball with them.  just a few evenings.  i don't want to tarnish my reputation...lol

post edited by rap - 2015/09/29 16:19:34
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/29 17:54:19 (permalink)
Captain  Hook, that's the point. That looks like me.lol Out in front of that stone building was a big hump that I'd wade out to and cast to the building gate,huge crappie,white bas and a ton on eyes casting spoons.
The Ref
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 180
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/29 18:17:56 (permalink)
Great thread guys:
I was a young kid back then but remember going with my dad and uncle to the stumps at linesville and my unc would just tie off to a stump when the wind was down and just drop over the side with minnies and worms and bang eyes. If no hits in 10 min move to the next stump and do the same. Back in those days the stumps were everywhere.
He also liked the orchard launch did well out there too for eyes. the rig was home made sinker on the bottom then loop a couple # 6 snelled hooks up the line toss it out and let the baby bounce on the bottom.
That creek behind the school in Linesville there were 2 old timers that were regulars there on that little concrete wall they'd sit all day with shiners under a bobber just waiting for the fish to come either out of the prop. area or back in to it.
The outflow at pymy used to be real good for eyes in the winter and spring like 20 years ago still get some now but not like the old days. I hadn't fished the outflow in a long time because of my career as a basketball official took up all that time but about 4 years ago I started to back off of that to free up some fishing time and it was the Sat. before buck season so nothing else to do so I'm going to the outflow to fish that evening. A few guys are there we catch a few small eyes. Everyone leaves but me and this other guy. So he's telling me that he does good there and its one of his favorite spots and all so we catch a few more shorties and go. I'm no dummy when someone tells me about a favorite spot so I go back the next morning and bang a 28 and 24 in. eyes and loose another big one. I actually posted pics in the old photo thread that Captain started.
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/29 18:17:57 (permalink)
bt, i've a buddy who fishes that exact spot in the fall for gills.
marco
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 171
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/29 18:22:34 (permalink)
rap..eat them cats..as good as the eyes....this post is funny...used to fish this lake 38 yrs ago w my dad....we could not catch an eye...this past year was the best I ever did w them.  not arguing w you guys its different for everyone...talked to a lot of amish over the last year...catching lots of eyes.....I asked them same question.....if lake has changed much over the years...some say the same...some say better..some say worse...I guess that's why they call it fishin..does not matter....if I knew I was going to  die in a week..i would want to be there...what a gem of a lake!
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/29 18:57:03 (permalink)
you hit the nail on the head, marco.  i guess i was schooled by guys who knew the lake pretty well.  i remember the saturday before memorial day, 1981 in particular.  i was going to school at ohio state and came home to fish with a bud.  we trolled the north end, ohio side, from the yellow brink ranch to the first long point to the north.  we caught 32 eyes that day, all on bass-colored hot n tots with a white belly and kept 16.  the smallest was probably 19 inches.  by the late 80s we had trouble finding the walleyes in the summer.  the springs were still epic and i was finding october to be pretty awesome also.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/29 23:33:02 (permalink)
Ref , I got to laugh about those two old regulars you said fishing the wall of the creek because the day I took my son there that's exactly what we seen . Those guys had a couple of huge bass on their stringers and were drifting bobbers right in front of that wire. Like I said we never murdered the Walleye back in the 70's but we always got a couple decent keepers on most trips. In the 80's we had a blast catching big numbers of those 14"ers. steady all day on crawlers and minnows. But there was a stretch maybe the late 90's that I pretty much gave up on Pymy for a few years, it was dead ! I remember drifting for over four hours with three guys and two rods each and not one hit ! We put the boat on the trailer and headed straight to Presque Isle Bay and the boys had a blast catching loads of Smallies, Perch , Rock Bass , and just about everything else one could catch in the bay. That became our steady hangout for years . The action was just unreal especially for my younger son and his friends. The Bay spoiled us for a good many years. I've slowed down fishing on most of these areas but they all hold good memories. Fortunately I did take my share of photos to preserve these good moments in time .  

Pymy outflow /  Shenango River head water

The Bay was just a haven for a variety of fishing action in the 90's I'm sure it's still good fishing.

My kind of neighborhood in Erie......no grass to cut all Summer !

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/09/30 00:07:32
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/29 23:58:28 (permalink)
"I've slowed down fishing on most of these areas but they all hold good memories. Fortunately I did take my share of photos to preserve these good moments in time" . ~Captain Hook~

Just wondering Captain, did fishing Lake Erie have an influence on your desire to fish the smaller inland waters?  Many of my friends (they'd never admit that) no longer have the desire to fish the smaller impounds they once enjoyed.

I shy away from the big lake just for that reason.

But, I did get me a couple of  8'6" rods rated for "lead core", in the mail today.  Ya just never know when things might change; ya seee what I'm sayin? 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/30 00:36:31 (permalink)
Believe it or not my favorite fishing is wading the rivers and shore lake wading. I've owned 3 boats and still have one I use but I really enjoy wading and casting. I still enjoy our local waters but the Great Lakes are a spoiler. Erie Smallmouth are a blast in the Spring time but so are the Steelhead that will soon be migrating up. I guess it's a calendar thing for me over the years. Spring... Erie Smallmouth, or Steelhead , or Shenango River Walleye , or Pymy Walleyes. Late Spring .....Pymy Musky, or Shenango Hybrid Stripers. Summer....local lakes for the mix, Walleye trolling Erie. Fall.....Steelhead, on Erie, and Ohio ,and Ontario, and Niagara River for Lakers, Steelies ,and Salmon. Winter.....stay home and keep warm I don't ice fish ! All fishing is good. I enjoy fishing for bigger sporting fish but catching a bunch of Bluegill with kids is fun in it's own way too!

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/09/30 00:38:54
moooooo4me
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 339
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/30 01:14:41 (permalink)
Hook, I can read your posts all day and not get tired of reading them. maybe ill see you or your boy along the river again someday. here's a few of mine from this year. 

35 inch pike caught on a large shiner after dark on the lower Shenango

27 inch pike caught on a clown pattern F-13 rapala. Mahoning river

31 inch carp caught on a crayfish on the neshannock. this fish was caught on ultra light gear 4lb test and took about 25 minutes to get in.

this cat was also caught on a crayfish the same night the carp was caught, this picture does that fish no justice, this fish was a pig

im also positive this guy cleaned us of about a dozen shiners. the hook was removed after the picture and  he was released

The older I get and the more time I spend on the water. I realize its not all about catching fish but more less enjoying time spent outdoors, im hoping this fall yields more success like I've had over the summer. good luck everyone 
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/30 09:02:26 (permalink)
Thanks, I remember we met up at Pymatuning a few years ago........Nice pics.......Like to hear more about that Mahoning River fishing. Shenango holds some nice Pike that's a good one.
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/30 11:02:36 (permalink)
brock, i too have had three boats but found i enjoyed the waders so much more.  just getting them on and off as i get older seems to have become a chore in cold or wet weather....lol.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/30 12:24:30 (permalink)
Rap that's why I have a boat and still; I pay for it, the next day! :'-/

We having fun...... yet?????

Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/30 12:51:44 (permalink)
bottom line:  i'd rather have a sore back from and while fishing than a sore back from and  while working.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/09/30 23:14:18 (permalink)
I just got a new pair of lightweight wader / boots and man they are a bugger to get off and that was just in the house ! I got a light and heavy pair of waders with the boot already attached and they are much easier. My Dad never had a boat so we grew up basically wading lake shores and creeks so It's still in my blood.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/10/01 00:08:48 (permalink)
John, if you haven't fished the big water put it on your bucket list next year. Even with a smaller boat (16 ft.) Erie is safe with the right conditions. I would recommend going for Smallies along the shores first before running out for Walleye or Perch. I like the Northeast launch it's not as busy and a little easier to get in and out. Check your weather several days before and look for variable winds with waves 2 ft. or less all day. Head straight out of the launch and head West staying in about 30ft. or less of water. I'm talking Spring time like early May on till about June. Plan on fishing clear water so lighter line with med action rods will work. Pick a spot and start drifting or casting anything Bass like. Try live bait like Shiners or Fatheads, or toss some plastic imitations they all will work. It's ideal if you have a nice chop out of the West to blow you parallel with the shoreline that way you cover more shallow water. Sometimes 15-20 ft. is the hot range you just don't know. Those Smallies will rock your rods out in the lake and there is always a few surprise fish too. Sheepheads , Perch , Walleye , even Channel Cats you just don't know. Beware the Goby's can become a pain especially with bait. Remember your resent yearly dated flares on Erie. One nice thing about Erie snags are almost non existent !  Almost !    

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/10/01 09:56:57
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/10/01 12:59:07 (permalink)
Awwwwwwwwww geez Captain, I didn't need to hear stuff like that.  For crying out loud it's 'tuff-e-nuff' seeing threads about the catches on the big water and keepin' from heading 'North to Erie'! (sounds like a good theme for a movie or, maybe a song)

He Hee..... keep this under your hat, I just bought  some new gear at the advice of marco, who is giving me some excellent advice about 'tricks of trolling'.  Also, speaking with contractors regarding an addition to my 'man cave' which will have slightly bigger (3) bays with one of the doors a tad bigger(10').  The better half  is aware of the addition, just not the bigger bays and the one door.  I will be practicing; using the new gear, and techniques  (haven't tried the knot yet) recommended by marco, on Pymie, hoping the wife will catch some nice fish so all will be well, regarding the new gear (or any future purchases(just hope I tie that knot correctly)).  So,  already having the appropriate gear and now a place to store it, there should not be any excuses for getting a bigger boat!

Of course, should certain information be revealed, I shall deny, deny, deny any ideas about the garage or boat.  As for the new gear (or unreliable knot)..............  I'm blaming marco!!!

On a more serious note, thank you for taking the time to post the information Captain, I am taking your recommendations, along with that of others and, thinking about Erie next spring.  I will be taking a day or two in the near future, and visit the launch sights mentioned, so I may become familiar with the area.  Nothing irritates me more than following sum idgit towing a boat and not knowing where he's going (or doing).  After 'sailing the concrete oceans and asphalt seas', so many years, I've had my fill of those "ding dongs".

Til next time;
John

PS.  Does fishing Erie require a guy getting out of bed before 10:00 am?
PSS. No need for any words with those pictures, they tell their own story.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Past and present fishing days. 2015/10/01 20:34:25 (permalink)
That's a dang good deal buddy.......  if I don't get my(full) beauty sleep....... I do not play well with others!

But I still look goooood!

Well I can't think a better way to end the day when your not on the water.

Ya gotta love it............

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to: