Author
hckyplyr
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points: 0
2015/09/14 16:52:08 (permalink)

New to Erie, please help with local bass spots/ponds

Hello all,
   I just moved from Buffalo, NY to Erie for school. I'm a big steelhead fisherman, but I've done some research on this site and pretty much know main spots where people go. However, I will have an afternoon off this week, and since its still a bit early to get out for steelhead, I'm looking for local spots for small mouth/large mouth? Presque isle is very overwhelming for me, because I would have no idea where to start. I love pond fishing for large mouth, top water fishing, etc. Would anyone be able to recommend any spots that won't be packed with other anglers? Thanks for your time. Happy fishing 

6 Replies Related Threads

solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: New to Erie, please help with local bass spots/ponds 2015/09/15 12:34:28 (permalink)
    id go to presque isle. still might be some large hanging out. fish the piers.
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: New to Erie, please help with local bass spots/ponds 2015/09/15 13:18:21 (permalink)
    If ya got a boat, main lake off GE and Hammermill stacks, Shade's Beach, or launch out of the North East marina. Look for reefs, rock humps, and depth changes, and hit em with drop shots, deep crankbaits, tube jigs, any goby/ emerald shiner type bait. 

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Big Steve
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re: New to Erie, please help with local bass spots/ponds 2015/09/15 20:13:06 (permalink)
    Gravel pit, state line ponds, lake pleasant, lake lebouf, bull dam, you can walk along graveyard pond on pi to a couple great spots in the lagoons, the lagoons on pi, horseshoe pond on pi, just about any perma-puddle in Erie and Crawford county holds LM. If they haven't removed the canoe rental for the season on pi, investigate the lagoons. If they have try to get a buddy with a canoe or extra yak. Lots of standing water down towards union city. Way too many to mention. Check it out on google maps and street view for no tresspassing signs. I've caught some 5# LM from lily pad pond on pi in the distant past.

What school?
    post edited by Big Steve - 2015/09/15 20:16:06
    Big Steve
    Avid Angler
    Re: New to Erie, please help with local bass spots/ponds 2015/09/15 20:41:29 (permalink)
    If you go investigating pi (or just about anywhere where you are going to be bushwacking) on foot, soak your outer clothes in permethrin. Long pants, long sleeves, taped or bloused pants and wrists.

Also, any house that is not hooked up to a water line (south of the divide) will most likely have a pond for insurance purposes. Genrally speaking they are loaded with LM. Good opportunity to practice the public relation/sales skills. We let several people fish our pond, but that may have been a different time??
    post edited by Big Steve - 2015/09/15 20:42:34
    hckyplyr
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: New to Erie, please help with local bass spots/ponds 2015/09/15 22:15:13 (permalink)
    Thanks, that was very helpful. Big Steve, that was a tremendous help. I will probably try out graveyard pond and/or horseshoe pond with a kayak. Although, I may also be tempted to head to elk or walnut to try early steelhead fishing, although I know better that I should wait a few more weeks. To answer your question Big Steve, I go to LECOM school of medicine. Thanks again guys
    Big Steve
    Avid Angler
    Re: New to Erie, please help with local bass spots/ponds 2015/09/17 18:27:25 (permalink)
    With a kayak you're golden on pi and so many other locations in Erie county. Largemouth slaying machine.

Is LECOM still on Grandview? I thought I heard/saw something about them buying the LORD property. Great views of the lake from the LORD building.

Good luck on the water. Let us know how you do.
    Jump to: