Helpful ReplyNever fished Wilhelm, what is...

Author
The Alaskan
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 157
  • Reward points: 0
2015/06/29 22:11:55 (permalink)

Never fished Wilhelm, what is...

I never fished or been to there.
coming from Erie, what is the best way to a boat launch and is there any bait and tackle stores near by?
any info would be great, looking to take the kids down on Friday. Thanks
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/06/29 23:14:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby The Alaskan 2015/07/10 19:27:40
79 south to exit 141 (interchange RT 285) RT 285 West (less than 1/8 mi.) to RT 19 south.  Follow RT 19 south to Georgetown Rd. (there will be a restaurant on the left (County Line Cafe)).  Turn left onto Georgetown Rd. which will take you straight to Lake Wilhelm.  HOWEVER, you will encounter a detour do to construction on Georgetown Rd but, not to worry the detour is well marked.  There is a bait/tackle shop at the Marina and another place called Fergies on the opposite side of the lake.  Take the causeway across the lake and turn left at the stop sign ( this will be Georgetown and you will encounter the other end of the detour at this point)  Fergies will be on your right about 1/4 mile after turning left.

Last I knew the detour was still in effect.  If the detour is down Fergies will be on your left  at Vacation Campground entrance and the causeway will be on the right about 1/4 mi. 

There is a second way but, I think even with the detour, you'll get there faster.

If I might be of further assistants shoot me a PM.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/06/29 23:17:38

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

The Alaskan
Avid Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/07 19:16:22 (permalink)
Thank you for all your info, enjoyed fishing there.  next time kids and I head there, we found and easier way to get there by when we left at the Sheakleyville, rd i79, on ramp.  will fish there again!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/07 21:05:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby The Alaskan 2015/07/10 19:27:36
That's good news........ last I knew bridges were being replaced on rt19 just north of Sheakleyville and Georgetown Rd. had something going on.  Hopefully, your next trip, all the construction will be completed.

Take care and good fishing.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

The Alaskan
Avid Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/10 19:28:37 (permalink)
I think I am going to plan a trip next Sat with the kids, all depends on mother nature.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/10 19:46:24 (permalink)
Been a while since I've wet a line, maybe see yinz there.

Good luck.

jaydse
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/13 20:57:15 (permalink)
Going back up this Wednesday for bass only . Landed some to brag about two weeks ago

Mercury jet, & Tohotsu prop.  Lowes boat, ST. Croix poles Shimano reels .
The Alaskan
Avid Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/20 18:33:39 (permalink)
I hope we don't get rain Sunday, looking to head down there with the kiddos this Sunday.

mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/21 13:33:25 (permalink)
Probably be there this Thursday evening , last Thursday it was pretty slow nothing to write home about but it was fun ....

STEVE.
The Alaskan
Avid Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/21 17:12:36 (permalink)
Good luck mopars0, if you go Thursday.
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/21 18:00:45 (permalink)
Alaskan
Good luck mopars0, if you go Thursday.
. Thanks , good luck to you also on Sunday if you go ...

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/24 11:28:06 (permalink)
Spent a great afternoon fishing Wilhelm, the weather was beautiful and just the right amount of west wind to maintain a steady drift.  Launched at #4 off of Georgetown Rd. and made four passes over the old road bed before continuing down past launch #2 and drifting that roadbed.  Tossed a half ounce jig tipped with various colored 'curly tails' and sometimes, a crawler, on one rod while pulling a worm harness on another.

The chop on the water was excellent, reflecting the brilliant rays of the sun now setting low in the western sky.  The wind was such that boat control required little or no correction, allowing me to enjoy a picnic dinner on the lake.

Ahhhh, nothing like enjoying a picnic  (no, not baloney and cheese sandwiches) while sitting on the water.  Had some of those lunch pack things, you know, those packages that come with crackers, meat, etc.  Got em at really good price as they were marked half off at the grocery store.  Ritz style crackers, cheese, baloney (genuine Oscar Mayer(pork and chicken)) with two "Chips Ahoy" chocolate chip cookies.

Fished the crawlers til the wind died down sometime around 9:00 pm and the lake turned to glass, still reflecting the golden rays of a soon to set sun.  Made a quick change over to trolling with a hot-n-tot and some other gold looking thing-of-bob that claims fish can't resist it.  Continued to troll while looking at a half moon, now straight up, wondering if there's any truth to game and fish feeding more actively during such moon phases?

Trailered the boat around 9:30 pm somewhat amazed that no other vehicles remained at the launch but, it was nice not having to wait for the idjuts trying to load their pontoons, during their once a year excursion, or the ramp blocked by morons to lazy to drag their 'yaks' out of the way.

Planned on going out this morning but, woke with my eyes feeling like I'd been watching someone welding and, a bit of a tummy ache and have since made many, many, many trips to the....... well, never mind that, just thought it better I stay home this morning.

FYI to those heading for Wilhelm this weekend, there is a yard sale extravaganza taking place the full length of Georgetown Rd. so be prepared to stop for or, zig zag around stupid people seeking treasures from the junk (not associated with the old hairy guys in big boats and loud motors) of others.

Also  (all) the roads, leading to and from Wilhelm have been oiled and chipped.  With the sunny skies and high temps. forecast (according to the weather dude) for this weekend, expect a tar like sticky substance oozing from the limestone chips in preparation, of jumping on your vehicle and what ever you may be towing behind.  Least not forget the limestone chips flying off of your, or other, tires seeking to take out your vehicle and/or, boat windshield.

I think mother nature is about to call again so, I gotta go. (no pun intended)

Oh..... about the fishing....   stupid fish!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/07/24 11:34:33

shrodreel
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 85
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/24 14:02:59 (permalink)
Thanks for the informative post...sounds like you were doin all the right stuff..What a shame that lake went down the tubes..I fished it with 2 buddies recently for about 5 hrs..we had 3 bass to the boat..one of em' might have been a pound & a half. Let's not even start talkin about the good ole days on that lake..bummer..
  The reason the cracker lunchables were probably half off cause they were 6 months old .
Once I left a pack of those at our deer camp ..found them when we went up to open up for trout season..5 mos. later and they still "looked ok"..Next time I'll save em for you :)
Cheers,  The Mercer Pike Kid

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/24 14:28:38 (permalink)
BTDT.....lol. ...well I was there last night as well, I was at launch #2 . At the lake about 3:30 went down by dam in the one cove done there. Messed around with a Minnie & bobber , worked for bass with other pole. About 5:30 started trolling harnesses back up the lake. So I take it that was you sitting by the old road bed by #2 about 6:30 ... Lol. Changed to hot n tots about 7:00 tried 4 different colors until 9:20 .... Said the hell with it and loaded up... Saw you was heading up toward #4 ... My picnic lunch was peanut butter & jelly sandwich , pop, hot pepper cheese .... Lol. ..... And yes STUPID FISH !!!

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/24 20:29:50 (permalink)
mopars0
BTDT.....lol. ...well I was there last night as well, I was at launch #2 . At the lake about 3:30 went down by dam in the one cove done there. Messed around with a Minnie & bobber , worked for bass with other pole. About 5:30 started trolling harnesses back up the lake. So I take it that was you sitting by the old road bed by #2 about 6:30 ... Lol. Changed to hot n tots about 7:00 tried 4 different colors until 9:20 .... Said the hell with it and loaded up... Saw you was heading up toward #4 ... My picnic lunch was peanut butter & jelly sandwich , pop, hot pepper cheese .... Lol. ..... And yes STUPID FISH !!!

That would be me and I wondered if that might be you.  Even if the fish weren't cooperating, it was still great to get out on Wilhelm again.  Man-o-man I wanted to stay out under that moon and keep fishing but got to feeling a little squeamish, think it was something I ate.  I'll be back....... real soon.

shrodreel
Thanks for the informative post...sounds like you were doin all the right stuff..What a shame that lake went down the tubes..I fished it with 2 buddies recently for about 5 hrs..we had 3 bass to the boat..one of em' might have been a pound & a half. Let's not even start talkin about the good ole days on that lake..bummer..
  The reason the cracker lunchables were probably half off cause they were 6 months old .

Once I left a pack of those at our deer camp ..found them when we went up to open up for trout season..5 mos. later and they still "looked ok"..Next time I'll save em for you :)
Cheers,  The Mercer Pike Kid

Didn't think to check the expiration date; I thought they'd be okay seeing how I got the things from one of those Amish grocery outlets.  I know the next time I fish Wilhelm having a westerly wind and bright sun low in the sky.... I'm taking a welding helmet.  My eyes are just beginning to clear of that 'sand in your eyes' feeling.

But hey, don't give up on Wilhelm, rumor has it the PFBC biologist have backed off "fish specific lake" projects.  Something about Arway needing money for his pet project SOS.  Now that I mention it, maybe that's where the extra money came from to pay for the advertisement and promos, regarding SOS, seen at all the licensing agents across PA.  

By the way did yinz buy your SOS buttons to support Arway? Wouldn't surprise me to see a "bass stamp" imposed next year, if John don't sell enough buttons.

Boy....... sorry about that rant, don't know what came over me.......... maybe something I ate or, possible sun poisoning.

I gotta go................. I'll just leave that to yinz imagination.

Anyway, don't give up on Wilhelm and good fishing to you.

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/24 21:43:42 (permalink)
BTDT......Guess I'm tired but did get this picture thing figured out.....lol.....This was the sunset last night at Wilhelm ,if you look real close I'd say that is you , kinda heading toward launch #4......Oh by the way, were you was sitting when I came up trolling from the dam was were my grandson got the nice walleye a few weeks ago.....using my pole & hot n tot.....lol   Then the next week I got that muskie almost in the same area.....OK, now ya know......lol
post edited by mopars0 - 2015/07/24 22:29:49

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/25 11:28:32 (permalink)
Judging by the sunset, that would be me!  I think we were the diehards (or idjuts) that evening, seemed there were no other boats on the water nor, did I see anyone fishing from shore.  

Certainly not the way it use to be for this time of year.

We both know, what spots produced fish using certain baits at certain times of the year.  We know, Wilhelm has little structure and what there was has changed over the years.  The old road beds are not as prominent, the old stream beds are forever filling in and, the PSFBC keeps taking out all the native weeds while trying to get those stupid lily pads to take hold.

Remember the good old days, Wilhelm had weeds growing naturally, some places so thick even the mightiest weedless prop struggled.  Weeds all along her shorelines, in all the shallow bays, on shelves and points, just everywhere!!!!  Ummm sorry, must be a reaction caused from a home remedy I got off the internet for, food poisoning.

Certainly is no secrete Wilhelm was targeted as a "Trophy Bass" fishery and those native weeds were just not conducive to growing "Bucketmouth" sized bass!    Nor, was the natural forage fish good enough for our Large Mouth friend to feast upon, so pollute the waters of Wilhelm with a more desired cuisine and get them "Lunkers" fattened up for them fishing tournaments.

But wait...... it was the anglers that created the sudden over population of shad, so thick that you can smell their stink in the air.  Huh.............?  I've been fishing Wilhelm since the early 70s so how is it these shad suddenly show up?  Some angler just happen to "recently" bring a bucket full one day and surprise, surprise!!  I'll betcha It's the anglers using weedless props  keeping the weeds mowed down too!

Did ya notice how fresh the air was the other night?  I'm wondering if ya saw any of the enormous schools of shad swimming around in their stupid circles?  I didn't even see a small school. 

The Penn-State Fish and Boat Commission (can't find work elsewhere) biologist have a new dilemma at hand and it's getting the attention of those seeking to become the next 'Einstein' of biology.  Thank goodness for SOS as it is, hopefully, pulling attention away from 'our' lakes, rivers and, streams.  Also, here's hoping SOS is hurting for funding and Mr. Arway will need to pull money from the trout program so, the PSFBC has to stop polluting the local waters with those nasty things.   Errr.. or, did those fish get in all the lakes and streams by fisherman using them as bait too?   Silly me,  I know you can't use stocked trout for bait, no other fish would eat them.   

Hmmm... I'm thinking I read a story about a cut back with the trout program?   Imagine that?

Don't know if you are familiar with the stories about Pymatuning and how bad the walleye fishing got just a few years ago.  But, once the Penn-State Fish and Boat Commission got finished screwing around with their "lake specific fish" hooey, the walleye fishing did a complete turn around.  Goes to show "keep it simple" has true meaning.  

Like Pymatuning, I think Wilhelm will rebound and once again produce the quality fishery she once was noted for.

We just need to hang in there, things can't get worse.

Speaking of fishing.............

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/07/25 17:15:59 (permalink)
BTDT.... I agree totally with what you are saying ...it has always been my go to lake. Love Pymatuning , always hit it hard early for crappies & walleye which were smaller to get fish in freezer. Then would hit Wilhelm through summer months & early Fall for the nicer walleye. All my nicer walleye at Wilhelm came from near the road bed. Kinda like down by the dam ..... Shoreline for bass & the stomps...I just enjoy trolling the best
, did notice all the crazy lilly pads floating around..... Messed up my trolling at times😜.

STEVE.
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/08/12 14:56:26 (permalink)
Got batteries charging now , probably going to hit Wilhelm tomorrow was going to try Pymie think I'll just save the gas from the reports anyways !!!! Also might be a little windy up there 😜. Maybe hit the stumps for awhile then work at some trolling.... BTDT going to be around , maybe we will see one another... Lol good luck to y'all if ya go out.... Hopefully I'll have some pictures other then sunsets😝😝

STEVE.
roygpa
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/08/12 15:30:18 (permalink)
Fished Wilhelm this past Saturday from about 8:00 AM till noon. Drifted worms for a couple hours and caught and ugly bullhead catfish. Also trolled for a couple hours with a purple HotNTot and picked up a crappie and lost one. Marked a ton of fish on the fish finder. Wish I could give a better report.

Roy
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/08/12 16:48:09 (permalink)
I see they took the road construction signs down on Georgetown Rd which should give access to the Lake straight from Rt 19 now!

Passed over the causeway on Sunday and I swear I saw a hot pink 'toon' on the water!  I don't know maybe it was just a figment of my imagination brought on from eating spoiled popcorn?

Mopar I been itchin' to get fishin', maybe I can make it to Wilhelm this Sat.  I sure hope it ain't gonna be one of those stupid "Blue Bird" days.  Watch out for those stumps,  I know a few guys who learned they can't walk on water when their boat stopped abruptly, while they were standing on the bow of the boat!

Tight lines to all............

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/08/12 18:06:47 (permalink)
Roygpa.... Thanks for the update , going to give it a try tomorrow ... We will see

BTDT .... Was wondering about the road so thanks for that update. A pink toon , ok think I'll just leave that alone 😜. Lol yeah I know all about the stumps and water, didn't get wet but it was close..good luck if ya get out on Saturday .... Keep ya updated...

STEVE.
outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/08/12 18:55:41 (permalink)
Don't have your tackle box open on your lap in the stumps either. Very costly mistake :-/
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/08/12 20:32:44 (permalink)
outasync
Don't have your tackle box open on your lap in the stumps either. Very costly mistake :-/
yeah that would suck , haven't done that up in the stumps but I have had my box sitting open on the seat while trolling went to grab the pole , hit the seat and dumped it ... Had a mess and didn't get the fish either😜

STEVE.
The Alaskan
Avid Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/08/12 21:19:38 (permalink)
There is a pink pontoon, the marina has that for breast cancer awareness, It is their rental along with a yellow, and few others. 
going to goto Wilhelm Sat with the kiddos, troll for some eyes for awhile then fish for some crappie.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/08/12 22:27:56 (permalink)
Thanks T A, never gave it a thought, nice they promote such a cause!  Even nicer you making us aware.  Maybe seee yinz on the lake Sat.

Roy your report tells me the fish weren't hitting that well which leads me to think they will be in the near future and I better plan some Wilhelm time soon. Thanks for the update.

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/08/13 23:57:33 (permalink)
outasync
well another evening on the lake , nothing to write home about, a few crappie no eyes stayed until 9 PM. Trolled , drifted ... Run hot n tots & harness ... Oh well got to see another great sunset .... Lol. Now I did have a crazy afternoon up at the stumps. Didn't get wet or dump my tackle box but I did get high centered on a stump ....😜. Didn't see the crazy thing it was about a foot under water, anyhow came to a stop real quick hit electric motor in reverse, nothing happening so I hit forward and nothing. Thought ok this is nice .... Drank a pop, thought about it & said screw it ... Fired the 20 hp up but that didn't do it either. Figured ok I have my cell phone if worse come to worse. Thought let's try this one more time so hit the electric motor again on high started rocking the heck out of the boat and it broke free ... What an adventure that was after about 40 minutes I was free and heading back to the main lake .... I guess being around 250 pounds didn't hurt either when I started rocking the boat .... Think I will stay out of there from now on. 😝😝. Ok that was my fishing trip for today .. Lol
post edited by mopars0 - 2015/08/14 00:13:11

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/08/14 09:43:16 (permalink)
Guess who else has BTDT. He hee, glad ya got 'er broke free. Scary situation when ya get to thinking...... There ain't no high tide on Wilhelm. Hope ya had enough peanut butter and jelly samidges...... just in case(lol)

Sat. calling for weather change and cloudy skies. I'm charging the batteries! !!!!!!! :-D
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/08/14 09:45:38

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/08/14 13:18:43 (permalink)
BTDT .... Well good luck tomorrow if ya get out... What out for those under water stumps 😜😜

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Never fished Wilhelm, what is... 2015/08/14 19:01:29 (permalink)
Ima goin' for sure, trouble is I saw some good reports about Shenango and now dag-nab-it, I don't know which way to turn at the stop sign.  Maybe Wilhelm in the morning and Shenango in the afternoon or visa-versa.  Decisions........... decisions.

Weather still lookin' good with light winds in the morning and calm in the afternoon.

Gotta get, I'm outa baloney. (for my samidges)

Jump to: