lantern for all-around light

Author
wirenut45
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 152
  • Reward points: 0
2015/05/17 14:22:23 (permalink)

lantern for all-around light

anyone know if a propane lantern on a hanger satisfies the USCG requirement for an AA light? i,m sure it can be seen from 2 NM, SO I,M WONDERING IF THIS IS O.K. ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE?

4 Replies Related Threads

dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re: lantern for all-around light 2015/05/18 09:49:00 (permalink)
    I would say yes. That's what I use in my canoe for night fishing. As far as I can tell it's not specified that the light must be electronic.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: lantern for all-around light 2015/05/18 10:27:16 (permalink)
    Hey Wirenut; all's well I hope,  and you've had nothing but "tight lines".  From fish, not from being "hung up". 

As you know; the waterways patrolman inspecting your rig, will be the "judge, jury and, hangman".  If, the patrolman does not like what he sees, you will be instructed to take it down.  Almost guaranteed a propane or, other fuel burning device hanging over a floating boat will be subject for a free (nervous) inspection by a friendly member of PFBC.  After the inspection, I don't think you will receive the free "ATTA BOY BOATER SAFETY DECAL" for your boat. 

As far as legal; there is nothing I've found in the rules and regulations  regarding how a light is to be powered. http://fishandboat.com/boatcrs/03boathandbook/chap2_09_night.htm

I have and, til further notice, will continue to post a "anchor light" well above my boat during my night fishing excursions.  I have however, elected on my own, to change from propane to a battery powered fluorescent lantern.  I actually feel the fluorescent illuminates the bobbers better.

A word of caution, if I may, when using this method along and close to the shorelines........  watch out for low hanging tree branches. (BTDT)

PS.  Take along plenty of "DEET" or mosquito netting.....................  
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/05/18 10:30:41

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

wirenut45
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: lantern for all-around light 2015/05/19 14:33:33 (permalink)
    BTDT,thank you, yes, i,ve had tight lines so far this spring. hope all is well with you. i noticed the crappies are overall bigger than normalat an unnamed lake shared by pa and ohio (don,t want to "spot burn", lol. guess i,ll invest in a LED lite for nite( 50-65 $) to be legal. oh btw, i got 2 headnets at big c a couple yrs. ago, like a turkey mask, only no openings for eyes or mouth, finer mesh too, i think. no bugs coming thru, so far. pymy on wed., thu., fri. only 3/4 ton truck, so, i,ll prolly have to cpr some of my catch. hahaha.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: lantern for all-around light 2015/05/20 00:45:41 (permalink)
    Guess who got a free boat safety inspection by a friendly Ohio waterways patrolman at 10:30 pm this past Sunday evening?  Guess who was playing with his new Gobee Bow light while heading back to Jamestown at 10:30 pm this past Sunday night?  Guess who didn't get his free safety boater decal at 11:15 pm this past Sunday night?

Seems my registration numbers don't meet the requirements (or his likings).  Strange though, the numbers have been on the boat since May of 2003 but suddenly, there not right.  Maybe they have to be big enough to be seen at night, I dunno.

Also, I had no distress flag on board. (17.5 ft. runabout on Pymie)

Satisfied the requirements for PFDs but, wasn't asked to produce a (required) throwable device.

Fire extinguisher passed as far as the pressure gauge reading but, never checked for being outdated.

Not complaining...... not one bit,  the Officer was quite courteous and could have issued citations but, didn't.  Seems I read somewhere recently, these guys can be the "Judge, Jury and Hangman" if they choose!

Caught a few bass, some dinky perch, gills and crappie.

Looking forward to my next trip to Pymatuning..... on the PA. side.

PS. Brand new(used once) GoBee 55 watt bow searchlight with navigation lights, remote control and storage bag................  for sale!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Jump to: