Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2015/03/27 20:22:02 (permalink)

to all that love to fish for pike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w8gn1AOyIA

Enjoy
post edited by Clint S - 2015/03/27 20:28:06

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

14 Replies Related Threads

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/28 07:51:16 (permalink)
    I've seen a duck get eaten. It happened on a  lake in NJ when I was about 8. Maybe that's why I still am a bit scared of them.  I would have loved to have a video of the 15 lb'er that i pulled over the gunwhales of a  buddies canoe after getting a lucky grip behind the head. It proceeded, after eluding my death grip to send the contents of  both our open  tackle boxes half into the water half into the bottom of the canoe. My not so happy friend dispatched it with a skinning knife, but not before it ripped his thumb open enough  for some stitches. We ate it. They're like eating a demon, you still think the thing might come up off the plate after your face. Thanks Clint, that's some wild footage. The Navajo Reservoir, which provides the water for the stretch of the San Juan I'm fishing starting April 5th has some decent pike cruising the shoreline this time of year. I wasn't going to - the 8 wt. and a few snake flies are going in the fishing duffle.  I'm second guessing getting on a plane to go play and fish. Lots of opportunities right here, especially in the coming few weeks for pike. I've been going out of my way to pass a section of the Hudson, but it never really happened the way I wanted it to.  It's now high and very murky; the window closed on my chance. I hope one of you guys go out to the estuary with a big Rapala or spinner bait and tag one. When I get back, I hope to head to some of the estuaries on Lake Champlain with the yak.  I now have a Boga grip and pliers and they hang OUTSIDE the canoe or yak.

post edited by fichy - 2015/03/28 07:55:56
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/28 08:09:31 (permalink)
    I wonder if the cat survived.........
    I have had a few latch on fish as I brought them out of the water.  Nearly emptied my bowels each time. 

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/28 09:28:19 (permalink)
    I'm a fan and haven't even caught one yet. This will be the 3rd season in a row I've eagerly wanted to get out for them. I really would love to have one crush a large streamer
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/28 11:29:53 (permalink)
    Why would you have a large pike in a gold fish pond? I did n't enjoy seeing that kitten getting taken by that fish.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/28 14:08:10 (permalink)
    pafisher
    Why would you have a large pike in a gold fish pond? I did n't enjoy seeing that kitten getting taken by that fish.

If you watch the super slow motion at about 1:16 or 1:17 it appears that both of the kittens get away, the target kitten is on the lower left almost under the other kitten and it scoots off of the left side of the screen.

.... and it bothered me too!  I know it is natures way but doesn't change it.
    post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2015/03/28 14:09:12
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/28 14:55:44 (permalink)
    My computer just blurred it out when I paused it. Glad you saw that. And yes, it's a pretty stupid  place for a pike. I saw a dozen good sized  perch throw themselves up on a mud bank a couple of years ago, when a 3 ' plus wolf was on their tails. Red / white, yellow  /chartreuse, and black /red are good color combos for them, db.  Long tailed flies, like a big Deceiver work well.
    My most productive incorporates long grizzly and white hackle, white and yellow deer hair with red tinsel for flash.  I use about 6" of Cortland Tyger wire as a bite tippet, using a figure 8 knot to attach both leader and fly. I've lost many flies to bite offs while bass fishing.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/28 16:02:16 (permalink)
    Thanks fichy! I always figured deciever type patterns were good go to flies. Time is the biggest problem though. Maybe this year. Slowly but surely catching up with near middle age :).

Steel leaders??? Or 12" 50 lb. Mono strike leaders???
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/28 17:17:06 (permalink)
    Andy, I like the 30 lb. wire the best. I've had them fray heck out of heavy mono and the wire is easy to use.  They have those long alligator-like snouts and the line gets crossed up across the teeth more often than not.
    They aren't leader shy, far as I can tell. I was talking about a canoe/pike venture on one of Vermont's best pike rivers  (Otter Creek) with a friend last week. Hope you find some time, Andy.  Alex would enjoy fighting one. They do occasionally do  multiple cartwheels.  Pretty cool.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/28 18:16:55 (permalink)
    I had a brief encounter with a big pike in the Great Sacandaga many years ago.  I had hooked and was reeling in what I thought was a sunny but I thought I might be fouled in a branch or line.  Just as I got the hooked fish within sight I could see that it was in the mouth of a huge pike.  The pike saw me and spit his meal out disappearing into the depths.  Scared me half to death.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/28 21:08:58 (permalink)
    I was fishing in Ontario when I was a kid and did not know that I was only allowed to use one rod.  I caught a 6" smallmouth on the spinning rod, and then had a big hit on my cheapo Taiwanese bamboo flyrod.  I dropped the spinning rod with the bail open and played and landed a nice smallie on the flyrod.  When I picked up the spinning rod, I saw that a lot of line was out, tightened up, and found my self hooked top a heavy brush pile that gradually came up tot he boat.  About 10 feet down I saw the northern appear, and the brush pile came to life, 3 good runs to bottom and back up and I got the net under a 36" pike.  I could have gotten real raft of tickets if we had not been so far back in the brush!
    masterbaiter1983
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/28 23:49:41 (permalink)
    Use bigger flies annoying flies i have been tying jointed flies for both musky
    And pike use. The more poof and pizzaz to the fly the better large zonkers work well too
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/29 08:34:33 (permalink)
    Never used smallies for bait.   If that were me, the bail would have been closed and the ending would have been inadvertently fishing legal with the tomato stake. I had one of those! I think it was 50 cents in a flea market.
    I've had 2 rods go in the drink (oddly, not while drinking) both when young and using the ol' forked stick. Both got retrieved via swimming. One had a trout attached, the other a big bullhead. Pike will hit small flies, as I've hooked some using black buggers in early spring before the weeds grow in.  I was targetting  largemouth that  feed on dragonfly nymphs heavily, then. I walked into a big pool on a Hudson trib yesterday that holds pike, but it was F'in cold with the wind and I would have to  negotiate some ice banks to get to the water. Can't take the cold mentally at this point.  If I hear below normal one more time I'm gonna lose it.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/29 11:04:16 (permalink)
    Fisherlady2
    pafisher

If you watch the super slow motion at about 1:16 or 1:17 it appears that both of the kittens get away, the target kitten is on the lower left almost under the other kitten and it scoots off of the left side of the screen.

.... and it bothered me too!  I know it is natures way but doesn't change it.

I slowed it down and it appears that is what happened,thanks for your insight as it made me feel better about it.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: to all that love to fish for pike 2015/03/29 11:09:53 (permalink)
    I went to a fly tying session at a shop up on the Housatonic River yesterday.  Learned how to tie a big articulated streamer for trout and pike using bucktail, marabou, crystal flash and Arctic fox tail.  For its size you would think the fly would be too heavy, on the contrary.  Interesting pattern for targeting large trout. 
    During the summer months when the water temps are up many fly fishermen target Pike with big articulated streamers.  I've seen many impressive photos of big pike taken on the Housy.
    Jump to: