Author
Cheesesteak
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points: 0
2015/03/08 14:06:37 (permalink)

Trip planned-end of March

Hey Folks,
I have a Steelhead trip to the Erie tribs planned for the end of March. I know most of the creeks are frozen out there right now but was wondering if any of you think they will be thawed and fishable by the end of the month? I have the trip planned for the 27th - 31st and can't change it at this point. With the warmer temperatures forecasted this week and hopefully the weeks to follow, will it be enough to thaw the creeks out? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Tight Lines,
Chris
post edited by Cheesesteak - 2015/03/08 15:26:20

6 Replies Related Threads

adyak
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: Trip planned-end of March 2015/03/08 16:49:04 (permalink)
    you will be fine. Once they thaw your only worry would be morning slush ice. There is open water so I would think this week will open it all up,except for maybe down low.

johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: Trip planned-end of March 2015/03/09 10:21:49 (permalink)
    Thawed yes, fishable possibly, fish active, a whole nother question. 

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

silverman31
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re: Trip planned-end of March 2015/03/09 19:56:41 (permalink)
    When it ices  out let me know well,   sir  your best  bet is call poor richards they are good honest guys.  Just look them up under tackle shops.  I'll bet if you call fish usa they can help you as well.  Leave some fish for me!  Good luck.
    chet1185
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: Trip planned-end of March 2015/03/10 09:19:06 (permalink)
    I too am Interested InWater Conditions. I Would Like To Make A Trip Up ThIs Saturday If Possible.
    H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 340
    Re: Trip planned-end of March 2015/03/12 06:27:31 (permalink)
    uncle johns webcams can assist you as well. I know last year at this time there was about a 8-9 foot buildup at 20mile and it was not touchable.

DRod
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: Trip planned-end of March 2015/03/12 09:11:58 (permalink)
    chet1185
    I too am Interested InWater Conditions. I Would Like To Make A Trip Up ThIs Saturday If Possible.

Best bet at this time of year is to call one of the bait shops, like Poor Richards or East End Angler, or check out their reports on Facebook if you're on there.  

My guess is that the mouths of the larger tribs are jammed with ice right now, but that you'd probably be able to find fishable water beginning not too far upstream from the mouths.  If we get some more warm temps, rain and a south wind, it will help to clear ice at the mouths which will allow the jams to flow out into the lake.  Might also see some jams on middle and upper sections of Elk as well.  There was a significant one last year around the Legion Hole I believe.  

Warm temps and rain forecast for tomorrow and Saturday with still quite a bit of snow on the ground might make for pretty high water on Saturday as well.  I usually make a March trip to Erie as well, but I've found that if I wait a week or two until after most of the snow has melted and ice jams have cleared that the fishing is usually better as the water temps come up a bit and flows level off.  

The weekly fishing report on the Erie Times website comes out every Friday morning and is usually very helpful and informative regarding current conditions.  
    post edited by DRod - 2015/03/12 09:38:39
    Jump to: