Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2014/12/03 11:25:49 (permalink)

Well?

Geesh. Got back from 5 days at camp and always look forward to seeing some reports. Not much here. Was it as slow for all of you as it was for our crew? We had 4 hunters in 2A Washington County. Steady rain both Monday and Tuesday. Very little shooting and no pushed deer movement. We managed a small 7 point on Tuesday. I took a drive on Tuesday and saw 2 hunters in a 10 mile loop. 

I guess those up your way at least had a dry opener? 

Pretty sure the PGC will say we had another great buck season, lol. A processor in Ligonier said they only had 7 bucks by noon on the opener and they usually have about 60. A local processor here in Allegheny County was turning folks away because he was full so I guess someone killed something. 

My rifle is a black rifle

111 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 12:01:27 (permalink)
    Had kids in two enclosed blinds in my hot spots. One saw a doe and 2 fawns fly by and the other one saw a small buck with 2 doe with no shooting. All day sits. I took a ride about 10 and saw no deer live or dead. Some hunters out but no masses like it used to be. Heard a couple shots close early but they must not have connected or else not shooting at deer.

Lots of deer out there but they learned not to leave rubs, scrapes, tracks or poop. Just have to go deeper into the woods.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 12:36:38 (permalink)
     First day around here SUCKED....
    I sat from sunup to sundown and saw absolutely NOTHING ..

9 guys at neighboring camps = no harvest..

one guy saw one doe, one saw 4 in the dark before daylight, one other guy saw 4 at 1pm. ..
     they did not see any antlers either. TERRIBLE............

Only one deer hanging within 4 miles of here last night in traveling around that I saw

IN FACT I NEVER HEARD A SHOT UNITL 7:30AM.. NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE........

from sunup to noon I only heard 20 shots anywhere I could hear... noon to 5pm... One shot and that was the only shot I heard that I would say was in the near-by area at all...........

I can not tell you how many guys came in the hardware Monday saying they heard little to none in the way of shooting where they were hunting.

Guys with property and food plots did well though ...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2014/12/03 12:39:04
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 12:36:51 (permalink)
    I was a little north of you, but the weather conditions were far from ideal in my area on Monday.  Warm and breezy in the morning then snow/sleet/rain in the afternoon followed by some more wind for the last hour of light.  Shooting was fairly light in my area as I expected.

I got down out of my stand around 1 to take a break and eat lunch at my truck and saw a pretty good buck while walking out.  He was bedded in a thicket and just slowly stood up and wandered off, but never offered a shot.  I hauled butt and tried to loop around and cut him off as I thought I knew where he was headed, but that didn't work out of course.

Looks like some more crappy weather is on the way for this weekend  I'll be back at it Friday and Saturday regardless.  

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 12:47:29 (permalink)
    I did have an interesting encounter on my way in on Monday.  As I cut off the trail to head up to my tree around 545 am, I caught a pair of eyes staring me down in my headlamp.  I could see that it was a buck bedded down and noticed that two does were bedded behind him, who were all standing in my way.  I recognized the buck as a small half rack that I had seen a number of times in archery and figured the heck with it, I'll just blow them out and keep trucking to the stand.  So as I continued walking in, the does bounced off about 40 yards and just stared at me.  However, the buck is still bedded and I'm now about 10-15 feet from him.  I slowly continued by him and probably got closer than 10 feet to him at one point and he still didn't budge.  It wasn't until I got past him that he finally stood up, but he never did run off. 

I've never had a deer react quite like that and I'll admit it was a little creepy.  He stunk horribly like  "rut" and all I could think was this guy is going to charge me.  Needless to say, I basically walked backwards the rest of the way into my stand to make sure he wasn't following me. 
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2014/12/03 12:48:36
    hsimmons6351
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 13:01:17 (permalink)
    I was up in 1B where I have hunted for the past 30 years. There were only a few hunters out. Heard a couple of distance shots. (nothing close) First time in 12 years I did not fire a shot. With 2 others who saw one small 4 point. I just wanted a doe for the frezer. Weather was rain off and on but we stuck it out the whole day.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 13:01:19 (permalink)
    Was lots of guys out in the area of western Greene Monday.  I was just an observing tag along since being out a tag from archery season.  Thought about pushing some patches if things got slow (which of course they did) but was too many guys out, and figured Id be pushing to the wrong people according to where some were posted.  Only 3 very distant shots were heard by lunch time.   Saw quite a few vehicles in the usual lots.  Lots of trailers with tricked out camouflage golf carts too. lmao. Were a few drives going on Tuesday, but again very little shooting.   Dad took my nephew Monday and saw 3 does by about 11:30, when he had enough.   # of bucks heard about harvested is extremely low so far.  Although Im not surprised.   With the weather partially to blame, and the deer management disaster and big influx of yotes  and how its all effected this area in recent years.

post edited by wayne c - 2014/12/03 13:03:40

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 13:21:32 (permalink)
    Just having some lunch and enjoying the post.  If I didn't know better I'd guess you guys were hunting in my back yard.  Tree stands to my south were filled by opening light but, no shooting and by noon there was lots of vacancies in the trees.  Three shots rang out from the dairy farm across the road around 7:00 am then one shot from the woods bordering the farm.  It wasn't till 2:15 pm that I heard four shots to the East of my place.  I saw no deer being pulled from any of the areas where the shootings took place.  The Amish farm to the north of me usually has four deer hanging from the eve of their barn by quitting time and there was nothing I could see.

Anybody want to bet the PGC is ready to increase the 'antlerless tags' for next year?

Gotta get back to hunting for something I didn't lose and I know I'll find it in the last place I look.

Good luck to yinz all.

PS. Hey Doc how is your buddy doing?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

no-time
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 14:18:36 (permalink)
    2 hunting sigal area forest co. in stands 6:30 am
    never leaving till dark set in
    results 2 shots all day, freezing rain, but not bad
    enough to not hunt, 1 deer seen, few hunters all
    on stands, 2nd day seen 1 doe and did kick out a
    nice buck but no chance of a shot

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 14:53:03 (permalink)
    Seems like many are seeing and hearing the same thing. Not sure where the 750,000 deer hunters are the PGC says are out there. If those 750,000 moved as much as 750,000 of the 1,000,000 we used to have did, deer should still be moving around. 

Wayne, what township in Western Greene? You can't be far from me in East Finley Washington, but I don't see many hunters out at all in these parts. I heard more Marcellus boring shafts together banging than gunshots. 

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 15:12:09 (permalink)
    I was just south of you in Richhill Monday.   There were hunters on the neighboring lands from us, ALOT on two of them.  One camp next door had about 15 guys, and another right up the road had around the same Id guess.   There were also cars in the lots at the gamelands up at 302, and plenty of guys on several of the mine properties.  

According to other friends/sources, as has been the case in most recent years there were no shortage of hunters in the bristoria area, the girards fort area and hunters in very "healthy" numbers in parts of eastern Fayette.  Having spent some time in all those areas in recent years rifle seasons at various points of the seasons, I have no reason to doubt those reports.

Not sure if what you are telling me is accurate on much more than a very localized scale, but if true, I do need to get up that way one of these years soon. lol.   According to you saying the same thing year after year, your area should be about plum over-run with deer by now.  
    post edited by wayne c - 2014/12/03 15:13:36

DRod
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 15:23:59 (permalink)
    'Bout the same as most of you.

Butler Co portion of 2B in the AM till about 8:30 and had to take care of a few things.  I don't count individual shots, but volleys of shots that seem to be coming from the same hunter.  Heard 6 volleys in that time, but nothing close.  Previous opening days until about 3 years ago, wouldn't be uncommon to hear 40+ volleys in that time.  Got busted by one sneaking in behind me about 7:15. Couldn't tell what it was.  

Working from home in southern 2D till mid morning till about 1 PM heard about as many shots as I did in the woods.

Hunted a few miles south of the morning spot in the PM with my son - still in 2B.  In the woods from 2:30 till dark.  Heard 3 volleys of shots and didn't see a thing.  

Very, very strange opener for sure.

Got my son after school and headed out yesterday evening.  In our spot by 4:20 and the fog rolled in about 4:45.  Scope was a foggy mess, so we backed out quietly and cut our losses.  Woulda been a good idea to bring the open sighted .30/.30.  

Might get out here this evening for a bit when he gets off the bus.  Tomorrow and Saturday are out due to basketball for him.  Hopefully hunt Friday evening if it's not raining too hard.  
    sloppy joe 2
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 15:41:30 (permalink)
    I am pretty inexperienced hunting - this is only my second full year hunting. I was in SGL 245 Monday and Tuesday. Cross Creek area this morning. The weather has been interesting to say the least. I thought there was a good number of hunters out Monday. It was warm and wet - no one moved and neither did any deer. Heard no shots in the morning. Temps dropped and it got foggy. Called it a day. Kicked two out Tuesday evening then more rain. Very few hunters yesterday. This morning got in the woods early. Hunters came in after me. Heard no shots and saw nothing. Going to keep at it and keep learning.
    post edited by sloppy joe 2 - 2014/12/03 15:44:47
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3066
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 16:46:24 (permalink)
    Here in Ct I have only  a  small farm to hunt- The huntable area-aside from fields- is a large brushy half dry lowland and swamp.
    Been hunting regular since the opener 2 weeks ago and not a tail yet.
    NADA--Just slipping in quiet and taking a stand or two= no pushing or craziness.
     No nuts- no squirrels - no turkeys- no freaking chipmunks and only a very rare tweety bird flying past. VERY few far distant shots.
     Never seen it like this in over 45 years of Deer hunting.
    Sounds like PA and Ct are having similar---"issues".
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/12/03 16:48:11
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 18:15:28 (permalink)
    I enjoy looking at the success photos on another pa hunting site and have for years. One thing seems to be happening in my perception is the number and size of the racks is  decreasing as time goes on. For sure this years rifle season has tanked so far or else folks just quit posting photos.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 18:22:15 (permalink)
    S-10
    I enjoy looking at the success photos on another pa hunting site and have for years. One thing seems to be happening in my perception is the number and size of the racks is  decreasing as time goes on. For sure this years rifle season has tanked so far or else folks just quit posting photos.

Seems down on the sites I visit to. I don't get the impression as you do about the size of the racks though. Less bucks, numbers wise for sure, but rack size holding its own, IMO. 

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 18:28:15 (permalink)
    wayne c 
    Not sure if what you are telling me is accurate on much more than a very localized scale, but if true, I do need to get up that way one of these years soon. lol.   According to you saying the same thing year after year, your area should be about plum over-run with deer by now.  

Deer numbers still way down compared to 10-12 years ago. One fellow that used to hunt by Bailey mine does not even hunt there any longer because of much less deer. 

Most of the land I hunt and travel through is private so maybe the hunter numbers are still good on public land or easy access mine properties. But one thing is for sure, the private land around us used to see a lot of pressure but does not any longer. Either folks lost permission and the landowners don't allow hunting any longer or they just quit hunting. 

Coyotes and random EHD are having effects in addition to hunting pressure. 

I did see my first true albino Tuesday. A young doe. Got to within 30 yards of it before it scooted off. Pretty cool. The landowner said it was hanging around a certain area and that is where I saw it. 

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 18:45:08 (permalink)
     Quit huntin' 'em 'bout 3 yrs. ago. Very, very little sign/tracks in old snow so stopped buying licence 'till herd comes back 'round here. Least they thin the herd early & don't have the opening day slaughter like yrs. past.

crappy 
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 18:52:44 (permalink)
    I actually saw 2 legal bucks, a nice 8 and a scrub 8, and turned down the shots to allow others in our group to have a chance. I saw the 1 buck walk past another hunter with us, and he never saw the deer. He was lookin in the other direction. Very slow in the 4-a region and only heard 33 shots all day. I was on private property, 200 acres with 4 hunters. My bud also has a huge farm,at another location, 700 acres, with food plots and about 8 really nice bucks on, by trail cam pics, and only 1 was seen monday, no shot, and 1 tuesday as my friend was starting to load his rifle. No shot again. 17 hunters were on his ground.....WF.....whatever deer are out are hiding.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 19:09:27 (permalink)
    Good point s10, on the rack size also declining.   Personally I have seen it over the last few years.   I think its partially that the "3 up" rule makes it so much easier to tell a legal buck quickly that far less are "saved" due to indecision of even previously legal bucks.    I am also seeing and hearing about LOTS of poaching etc.    The lower the herd gets, it seems the more it occurs.   Even the local wcos had a writeup recently about seeing a big increase in baiting every year for the last few.    I also know of several deer in the last few years that were inedible due to infected gunshots from 22's etc.  that were shot some point previously during or prior to archery season.   I and others I hunt with have seen multiple occaissions where guys got out of vehicle along backroads to shoot at a deer or turkey with a gun, when the only season in was archery deer.    Also hear of these things and more on a regular basis.   Even stopped to ask a goofball to hunt his land, and was basically bragging that he went out on his 200 or so acreas and shot deer whenever he felt like it.   ( and not for crop damage, he has none)  Its bad.  Very bad.   Southwest Pa is becoming the poaching capital of Pa.
    post edited by wayne c - 2014/12/03 19:10:47

S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 19:23:34 (permalink)
    Before I retired I worked with several DWCO's so I knew what was going on in the county regarding poaching, etc and even rode along with them from time to time. Stands to reason with a few more big bucks around there would be a bit more poaching. When caught they always claim they need the meat but they always shoot the big old skanky bucks and pass on the nice tender doe.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 19:25:53 (permalink)
    Hunted public land in 1B.  Counted 89 shots before I got bored of it around 10:00 or so.  That's about half the pace of the last two opening days.

Saw 8 deer from stand.  Doe+fawn, then a doe and two fawns that got jumped passed me by a sow and 4 cubs.  Around 10:30 caught a buck sneaking behind me then noticed there were two other deer ahead of him, does.  Shot the buck, decent 7pt.  Jumped two different deer while dragging him out.  I actually thought it was a decent deer-seeing opening day.  I had the feeling if I stayed in stand I could expect to see deer throughout the day.  6 or 7 vehicles in the lot, but never saw another hunter except closer to the road.

For what it's worth, heard from a local taxidermist who compared his buck numbers to same time last year.  As of the end of PA archery and 1st week of NY gun he was right on last year's pace.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 20:19:53 (permalink)
    Claypool--what part of 1B do you hunt?
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 20:42:47 (permalink)
    Saw no deer Monday.  Was out in the rain all day.  Tuesday was out all day in the sleet and freezing rain.  Had 8 hunters driving.  We got 6 bucks up.  One a six and the other a 5 or 6.  Both were shot at and missed.  I saw 12 deer but no bucks.  Today I was out all day and saw one big date eight point that another hunter got.   He was coming my way but got cut down before he got to me.  We saw this buck yesterday with a doe.  Monday I heard 8 shots all day.  Was hunting in 2C.
    post edited by Panfisher - 2014/12/03 20:46:02

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    Re: Well? 2014/12/03 22:54:29 (permalink)
    Not much happening here in 1B in amish country.
    Quietest first day ever.
    I saw no deer.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

lost sage rod sectio
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: Well? 2014/12/04 00:58:06 (permalink)
    This is just a little tip. If you want deer meat in P.A. don't wait for the first day. You have to put the season in when you cook it. The rules are there are no RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: Well? 2014/12/04 06:36:17 (permalink)
    My little brother took a buck yesterday. It was hiding in a brush pile and jumped out as he went by it. Took the shot at 28 feet....WF...they let you get close sometimes
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: Well? 2014/12/04 10:00:18 (permalink)
    More of the same...

Did not hunt but it was slow here least amount of shots I have heard since 2005 when I moved here-1B
    Heard of 1 nice 8 taken Monday but even that guy said it was slow as far as deer sightings.
    My family in NEPA got 1 missed 2 and let another walk Monday(all bucks they do not hunt does)also said a lot of people were out and a lot of shots fired.
    I have noticed more hunters around here last 3 years and less deer.
    Also seemed like the rough winter last year affected antler growth this year lil' bucks were real scrubby looking this year lots of busted up skinny racks-might be a good year for bucks next year if winter isn't bad.
    PGC will tell us it was a great year...WCW
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re: Well? 2014/12/04 10:27:07 (permalink)
    My friend is doing okay and is going to bear hunt again next season. :)

The young man that shot him stopped and again said how upset he was... my friend just told him it was okay accidents happen.

He had "pins" put in his wrist and will need rehab for the muscles, etc  in his arm.

He was actually hunting with a group including the fella that shot him ........

and yes they got the bear ........

thanks for asking......
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    Re: Well? 2014/12/04 11:26:38 (permalink)
    i think we all can agree that there are less deer and therefore less bucks out there open to public hunting. at least where i hunt in the ANF. (i can't speak for those that hunt on private property.)
    i have noticed there are more people sitting in tree stands. who do you expect to push deer towards you of only the few deer that are left? i see very few hunters actually walking the woods any more especially on the first day. i used to sit all day at one location also but learned i've been doing better seeing deer while i move more. it's interesting reading how people SEE deer on the way to their tree stand and on the way out.
    with the increase of yotes out there i believe the deer don't move around as far as they used to to feed or bed down. in colder rainy weather i've kicked deer out of beds as late as 10 in the morning that haven't moved from the night before. and these beds aren't that far from feeding areas.
    my own opinion if more people were moving in the woods during the day we all might be seeing more of the few deer that are out there.
    with that being said i talked to people from 3 camps that no one had got a buck the first 2 days and only a few seen deer.
    anyhow here's the buck i got this year. i only seen 4 other deer before i got this at 3:30pm monday. last year i only seen one which was the buck i got.
    good luck to all of you!!

5 point, an inch shy of a 6 point, 17" outside spread. died in the ANF Forest County from a single gunshot.

cheers!

post edited by doubletaper - 2014/12/04 11:49:09

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: