Upper 20 mile

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/04 10:07:46 (permalink)
wrighter00
Property rights are built on good ol' American principle. Try to remember that before any of us white men came here no one owned the land or water... and all the native wild/fish life in these waters and on this land still thrived.

Where the steelhead up to rte. 5 back then?
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/04 11:38:00 (permalink)
Actually those that were here killed each other to have access to the best hunting and fishing areas.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
dakota kid
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 235
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/04 12:57:42 (permalink)
^^Ahhh Nature's way. She's not all groomed trails and cute baby critters. Competition for resources can get brutal in the wild. As a species, we're too soft.

We should do a Hunger Games style event for the rights to the tribs. Divide the areas where fishermen flock from into districts. Have a three day gladiator death match until one district remains, winning the fishing rights for their district until next season. Make it pay per view and the state wouldn't even need to charge license fees, of course they still would. We'd probably have to buy a gladiator stamp too. Oh well, still sounds exciting. Let's do it, I'm in. 

D-nymph
Pro Angler
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/04 13:41:27 (permalink)
^^^Landowners have a bad enough time with muperes pooping in their yards, they'll really get mad at blood & corpses.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/04 14:16:22 (permalink)
Aww come on D lookin out your window and watching some fat azz lazy mupere crappin in your yard is a beautiful thing...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Ninja of the Steel
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 49
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/04 15:32:28 (permalink)
If you really wanted to do something would you let a sign stop you?

"The images of himself and his line kept disappearing into the rising vapors of the river, which continually circles to the tops of the cliffs where, after becoming a wreath in the wind, they became rays of the sun."
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/04 17:01:11 (permalink)
wrighter00
That is a good point on the map from this site. Sorry, Ironhead. I run into college kids up there all the time. Some who came from mid state. If you think you're going to convince them or anyone not to go to the fish, you got another thing comin. That's what they bought their Erie stamp for. To explore and fish Lake Erie tribs. What happens when they get there and there is no where to explore or any way to get to the fish? Pile up at the few state operated spots? Again, you got another thing coming.  

So college kids just started fishing up there? Funny, I never seen one 20 years ago when I was in college. lol
It's not my job to "convince" anyone, that's up to the WCO's.
The "other thing coming" is nowhere to fish or steelhead to fish for if the slobs don't straighten up their act.

Blacktop Charters
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/04 17:10:44 (permalink)
Ironhed
wrighter00
That is a good point on the map from this site. Sorry, Ironhead. I run into college kids up there all the time. Some who came from mid state. If you think you're going to convince them or anyone not to go to the fish, you got another thing comin. That's what they bought their Erie stamp for. To explore and fish Lake Erie tribs. What happens when they get there and there is no where to explore or any way to get to the fish? Pile up at the few state operated spots? Again, you got another thing coming.  

So college kids just started fishing up there? Funny, I never seen one 20 years ago when I was in college. lol
It's not my job to "convince" anyone, that's up to the WCO's.
The "other thing coming" is nowhere to fish or steelhead to fish for if the slobs don't straighten up their act.

That day may be coming sooner than we would like.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/04 19:40:23 (permalink)
awesome, and i know you, and i still contend you should write professionally.  kudos, old friend.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3422
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/04 21:43:18 (permalink)
Totally agree. Best post of this whole ch!t show thread...

Sad thing is most don't even realize what they missed. Heck they never even heard of it until The "World Class Fishery and Steelhead Alley" BS started. LOL. Steelhead Alley!!!! You can thank PR's, BAC and UJ's for starters. Build it and they will come. Well, they built it and boy o boy did THEY come.  Except the watershed wasn't  "built" for 1000's of anglers and millions of fish. What did you expect? I don't blame not 1 landowner for posting. Heck even without "slobs" I would still hang posters. Who wants strangers on their  land from before dawn till after dark? Landowners didn't ask for the fish and certainly didn't ask for the hassle that comes with said fish. Sad but true and only going to get "sadder"
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/04 22:50:34 (permalink)
pensfan1
... BS started. LOL. Steelhead Alley!!!! You can thank PR's, BAC and UJ's for starters. Build it and they will come. Well, they built it and boy o boy did THEY come.  Except the watershed wasn't  "built" for 1000's of anglers and millions of fish. What did you expect? I don't blame not 1 landowner for posting. Heck even without "slobs" I would still hang posters. Who wants strangers on their  land from before dawn till after dark? Landowners didn't ask for the fish and certainly didn't ask for the hassle that comes with said fish. Sad but true and only going to get "sadder"

I think it it more the state/PFBC to blame

they created the circus with marketing $$ spent to create license sales... billboards/tv ads/print ads... and a lot of it was out of state trying to pull people in.  

funny
goto the PFBC site now... the word "steelhead" only appears once on the home page, and it is not easy to find

SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/05 10:18:06 (permalink)
It has nothing to do with the bait shops! lol  The more and more this happens, the closer we're getting to a tipping point.  This posting on 20 mile just closed down 1/5 of the entire 20 mile creek in PA, assuming there is no other way in. 

20 mile and Elk should be deemed navigable in my opinion, weather it's through the current definition of "navigable" (which it seems like there is a legitimate case for Elk) or eminent domain.  It's probably going to happen eventually after anglers are left with mainly only state owned access areas to fish.  It's really not that much different than the state wanting to put a road or railway through your property, they'll find a way to do it if they really want to. 
post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2014/12/05 10:21:26
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/05 11:43:09 (permalink)
Cmon duuD. You dont remember the early days of this site. With daily reports it was all just a click away..jus ask'IN jus say'IN.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/05 11:45:40 (permalink)
SteelSlayer77

20 mile and Elk should be deemed navigable in my opinion, weather it's through the current definition of "navigable" (which it seems like there is a legitimate case for Elk) or eminent domain.  It's probably going to happen eventually after anglers are left with mainly only state owned access areas to fish.  It's really not that much different than the state wanting to put a road or railway through your property, they'll find a way to do it if they really want to. 

Except fishing just isn't that important.  It might seem that important to you, but to the general public, it is not.  Not even close.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/05 11:47:14 (permalink)
I wanna see u navigate the falls above RT 5.. jus say'IN
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/05 12:01:14 (permalink)
D-nymph
SteelSlayer77

Except fishing just isn't that important.  It might seem that important to you, but to the general public, it is not.  Not even close.

^this
The actual actual impact is too little for anyone to really care enough to endure the backlash of infringing on hundreds of landowners rights

adyak
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/05 16:24:37 (permalink)
Well said anadromous. I too remember those days.It seems the fisherman have changed.Back then we had to learn everything on our own.Only resource we had was to call a bait shop.No flow gauges,no internet,no spoonfeeding. You just showed up and started fishing the conditions you were given.The whole experience was just so different.It was much more about the overall experience.It is a shame about 20 mile.As usual,a few slobs ruin it for everyone.
Troutcommander1031
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/06 16:22:34 (permalink)
Actually I think Donny beavers has more sections shut down in erie than land owners combined lol getting sad
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/06 17:37:41 (permalink)
Anadromous, and Adyak, both described the ways of pristine early Steelhead fishing. It was the best of the best ! I think there are still a lot of good fishermen around but the new ways of social media bring in the leeches in search of a quick fishing experience. No effort, no ground work, no hit and misses . They really don't earn or respect the true sport. They just want to catch big Trout and use as little effort as possible. They want to be spoon-fed by the good fishermen who are trying to help others. They try to outsmart the average fishermen and don't have any stream etiquette for others. They are out there and these are the destroyers of our future sport fishing!  
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/06 18:33:34 (permalink)

Can't argue with that.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

fishmonger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 435
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/06 21:00:59 (permalink)
It was good to read your post Anadromous. The last few years have been hard to take on the tribs. Too many times, I'm lost in a riffle and some "fisherman" tromps past me with his supplies in a Walmart bag. Usually I have to pick it up later on. I don't foresee any improvement. More fish is definitely not the answer. I fished 20 Mile the day after Thanksgiving. Quite a few fish, all spooked. I swear that anyone that had a couple on a stringer had to have snagged them. I had some guys nearly run past me and my son on Elk to get to the next run below us. I don't enjoy the Steelhead Alley experience anymore. It breaks my fishing buddy's heart. He is going to be 75, and has been fishing Erie tribs since the Coho days. I also went after Coho's, usually off Trout Run. It is only December 6th and we are getting ready for spring trout up at Sinnemahoning. Unfortunately, it is showing signs of becoming as degraded as Erie. I think that I need a trip out West. 

Fishmonger
blockhead
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/06 22:50:31 (permalink)
anadromous
I am just glad I fished the East side 20 plus years ago when I could start at the lake and end up in near NY without much worry about crowds or posters. It was a great time to be a steelhead junkie. The snow hung on the Hemlocks. Ice hung on the shale cliffs like organ pipes and we respected the fact that we had such a fantastic forum that we never dared to defile it. We weren't hungry for numbers, we were hungry one good battle, any more that that was icing on the cake. We could bounce from one stream to the other and find fish or fishable water and it wasn't crowded. I have watched it change. The fisherman changed. People were spoon fed information and armed with big fish notions and big fish numbers they came. They wanted fish, lots of them and most never noticed the ice formations, the quiet solitude in harmony with the din of flowing water, the eons of erosion evidenced by shear cliff walls and the joy of taking a fish out of a fast trough that held no clue of a fish only a hope and an instinct that it was a good lie for a steelhead. These types don't have the soul of an angler. They have a lust and blind eyes. They will weed themselves out, land will be on lock down and the water will once again be flowing unmolested. When this happens, and it will,   a fraternity of anglers will once again knock on doors with a polite handshake and with direct eye contact, obtain the privilege to angle here again.  

That was incredibly well put.

Lately I've been enjoying watching a pair of bald eagles in a hope to watch one carry away a fish. As good as the old days were, I do believe in principle, seeing that would make this the best year of fishing yet.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/07 17:19:29 (permalink)
Quite a few good reads here... Slobs are much to blame along with the self entitlement they carry... My waters are eastern lake Ontario tribs and honestly the spoon feeding of internet has been the down fall of them in my opinion. There are many controversies of posted waters and land but there is still quite a bit of public water and access... In the past year or so there has been an "unspoken" decrease of specific internet chatter and I've honestly seen the difference. Unfortunately though masses of people are hooked for the big fish in big numbers... Almost makes one wish for a semi crash in the fishery to weed out the folks who don't belong. I'm sorry to hear about loss of water but as most here agree private property is private property. My best piece of advice is promote "less internet chatter"... It seems to definitely have an impact... I've seen it first hand. 1 positive report bringing hundreds of people the next day... Along with slander and disgust and questions : "where are the fish?"... Tight lines to all and may at least some you folks enjoy a nice run of solitude with untouched snow banks this winter
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/07 23:16:03 (permalink)
I echo others' sentiments and agree-it is a shame that we are losing access.  But jeez people, there are still plenty of places to fish.  If you've had a "spot" and its now gone, that stinks, i agree.  Ive lost a few over the past couple years.  But i walked a section of creek after work last wednesday and only saw 4 guys in 3 hours.  I had a nice stretch of elk to myself, caught fish, and I was able to enjoy the scenery as well.  And I am confident that in my next trip i will find more fishable water and more fish.  
The glory days are gone, but there's still fun to be had and fish to be caught.  Ill be at it until Lord ain't willing or the creeks rise too much!  

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/08 06:34:40 (permalink)
posting reports on perch and walleye in the summer is one thing, but I've been out steelheadin about 2 dozen times now and haven't posted 1 report this year.  done with that.
Tracker12
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/08 08:56:32 (permalink)
Then what's the use of coming to a fishing forum if there is no useful information being posted.  Maybe that's the reason for the decline in participation here.  It's not like there are any secrets out there on the tribs. 
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/08 10:05:52 (permalink)
The use for it is however you want to use it. It is anyone's own choice to choose what they want to share on a public forum. Secrets?¿? No... There are none... But pics posted on a Thursday of a known spot with a circus parading that same spot on Friday and Saturday??? Yes... I even notice our local tackle shops in my region steering people away from the non mainstream tribs... The spoon feeding era has seem to come to a closing... And honestly its a good thing in my opinion. Again, sorry to hear about your guys ongoing loss of water. As always, it takes 1 azzh0le to ruin a good thing for the majority
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/08 10:11:46 (permalink)
@Dimebrite2

The people you speak of can not and should not be referred to as 'azzholes,!

'Azzholes' have a purpose in life!

Come to think of it; I shouldn' refer to them as people! (lol)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

D-nymph
Pro Angler
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/08 10:39:59 (permalink)
Tracker12
Then what's the use of coming to a fishing forum if there is no useful information being posted.  Maybe that's the reason for the decline in participation here.  It's not like there are any secrets out there on the tribs. 

If there are no "secrets", what kind of information would you be seeking?

The decline in participation has no thing to do with amount of info being shared or not shared.  A whole bunch of people made a conscious decision to leave, for a few reasons, that's their choice.
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Upper 20 mile 2014/12/08 11:18:20 (permalink)
The thing is, nobody is saying that you can't give out useful information on here. Been around these forums for several years, this account is my second tour of duty on this site, and every year, I learn new flies, information, and techniques off here, and I do my best to share the same that may be useful to others. And, for those of us that love Erie steelhead, but have a few hours to drive, learning if the fish are biting, how many are around, what they are biting on, and weather/ water conditions, is great to help determine if we should make the trip or not. I mean, realistically, I come to Erie to have a good chance at catching big fish, and if I'm going to spend the money on a hotel room/ campsite/ lodging, gas, and food for a trip, I want to make sure it's worth it, and that I catch fish, or at least have the numbers and chances to do so. I enjoy making the trips to Erie very much, but I'm lucky enough to live near some great fishing trout streams here in Central PA, and if Erie isn't fishing well, I'm not going to waste money on lodging, gas, and food expenses, when I could drive 15 minutes and catch fish. 

However, it seems everywhere I fish these days, there are people constantly saying "this ain't what it used to be," I believe a big reason is due to misuse of internet forums. Especially in Erie, the big issue occurs when people share reports that contain specific spots on these streams that see some of the heaviest angler traffic around, or when somebody asks "is it worth it" or "where are the fish biting," only to have somebody publicly post specific spots, or put up photos with an easily identifiable spot in the background. This accomplishes nothing but bringing unnecessary angler traffic to already heavily pressured spots, and of course, increases the odds of somebody p*ssing off a landowner, only to have the land posted. 

It is very possible to share enough information in a report/ post to summarize your day of fishing, and give somebody else enough info to point them in the direction of some fish, or a base of knowledge to start from, without spot burning, or laying the smack down on a spot. There might be disagreement as to what should or shouldn't go on on a report/ post, but I suggest the following:

Date
Stream Name
Relative region/ section of stream (I keep it as simple as mouth, lower, middle, or upper)
Conditions
# of fish caught
bait/ flies/ lure used

For example I could say "caught five on middle elk on white streamers, water was slightly stained." That's not a spot burn, nor is it spoon feeding information. There are many stretches and spots on Middle Elk that may or may not have fish, I didn't say a specific one, but I gave enough information that someone with some ambition may be able spend some time, look at a map, learn to read the conditions, do some research, find information on access points and posted land, and spend some time driving and searching to find some fish. Further, if someone wants to contact me by PM, I have no problem giving some additional details. 

As for people misbehaving, unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you can do, except for demonstrating good etiquette, and making sure you aren't that guy. 

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: