Helpful ReplyPYMATUNING FISHING REPORT

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 44 of 72
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/14 10:19:00 (permalink)
Finally after nearly 5 months, I return to the prestine waters of Pymatuning.

Launched the Fish Hawk at Jamestown with absolutely no problem.

Water temperature is reading 50 degrees at the surface and appears to be moderately clear.

Beautiful Bluebird afternoon with light wind from the SW making for a great cross lake drift pushing the Hawk and I at .5 MPH.

Began fishing at the old Marina making two passes from West to East before moving slightly South and to the East looking for what I could see.

Eventually tossing a few jigs and Sonars along the West shore near the now vacated new Marina.

A few boats were already on the water with a couple more coming in at a later time.

Also people fishing from and around the now empty boat slips.

As some know, I don't always spot burn but when I do........

Stupid fish !!! πŸ˜•

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Fishing Fox
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/15 00:15:49 (permalink)
Has the work at the Linesville Marina been completed?
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/15 21:08:03 (permalink)
Pymatuning has been super clear past few trips.
Excellent visibility with low winds and nice Fall temperatures.

Weeds are still fairly thick along shallows.
Fishing conditions have been perfect, but fish catching has been slow !
Freezer is just about empty of fin and fur. Time to replenish soon ! 
No fish tonight but sure was nice to be out . 

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2016/11/15 21:25:48
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/15 22:30:33 (permalink)
HEYYyyy Capt. I think that's me wayyyy down there at the other end.

Not sure but that looks like about the time I was getting out.

What a great afternoon with a light breeze and beautiful sunshine. Well until around 4:20 PM when the Sun went behind clouds to about 4:25 PM when I went under a sweatshirt followed by a hoody at 4:30 PM.

Did I mention it got pretty darned cool when the Sun moved behind some clouds?

Bumped and thumped a Sonar off the bottom before switching to lead core and towing a gold colored thing-a-ma-bob with a plastic lip.

Missed a couple hits, I think from snags, while jigging the Sonar but I did catched a real nice Crappie, from 28 ft of water while tapping the bottom.

Lead core produced one really good snag but with some good luck, I was able to recover the lure of which, I can't remember the dam name. Not that it matters much because the thingy didn't produce. Except that I think my memory is fading and I am showing signs of old-timers.

Not to worry, I think it was a mild temporary case as I did find my car and trailer in just a short while. It was parked beside the only other vehicle, in the marina parking lot.

Looking forward to doing it again tomorrow afternoon if, I can remember what the hell I was doing at the beginning of this story.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/11/15 22:36:56

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

marco
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 171
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/16 12:21:48 (permalink)
I have my waders laid out and boat ready to go....I think I will just work on the cottage again this weekend.  if anybody catches a walleye, let me know and I will start fishing!
marco
Avid Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/16 12:28:56 (permalink)
fyi,  I saw big tuna yesterday.  He looks good!  He had one helluva operation.  Glad he is doing well.  Maybe he will have a change of heart now and tell us all his walleye secrets.  What do you think big tuna????
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/16 13:52:35 (permalink)
Back in the day Marco no secrets. 19 fow off Snodgrass sonars silver buddies. Caught limits till it got so cold you couldn't take it. A couple days before Thanksgiving was the  end for me. When the line froze I quit. I've never been that cold in all my life even ice fishing, nice 20 mph north winds,2 feet  plus  walleye chop lol mixed with a heavy wet snow, being the idiot I am had to get my limit. Ah to be young and dumb again. Good luck guys,my mind wants to do everything but my body says different. This mending time sucks. I did spend 3 hours in my Ohio ground blind yesterday. I sucked in a feral cat and had some ground hog size fox squirrels torment me till dark,no deer. Been hunting for 51 years and may get the skunk,I've killed at least one deer but mostly several each year and as high as 12 one year. Don't get riled up hunted 4 states all legal.
post edited by Big Tuna - 2016/11/17 06:56:30
marco
Avid Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/16 14:01:31 (permalink)
thanks for the tip big tuna?  Glad you got out.  you still have 2 weeks left in 2b.  if you get one and need help ...call me?   good luck brother...keep me updated!
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/16 16:56:17 (permalink)
Heard rumors the Dam construction won't be done till next Spring. Something to do with contractors being changed out.

Also heard there has been a new form of weed growth found in Pymy. and it's not good !

Once again all rumors, but they are saying this weed is trouble in the future, doesn't die off as easy so it becomes even thicker and bigger. They say biologist are seriously looking into this newer weed growth. If anybody hears more please post ,my source is usually pretty good so I'd say there is something going on. Hope it's mainly due to lower water conditions and warm weather but who knows. 

Last evening on Pymy.

XtopwaterkingX
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/16 22:00:12 (permalink)
You talking about the hydrilla?
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/16 23:53:36 (permalink)
Capt. here is some information you should find interesting, not sure if this strain of weed is new or, just an excuse for using harsh(er) chemicals to clear the entire lake of any natural, oxygen producing, living habitat.  I'm told, five years ago, this Hydrilla is different from the same weed that's been growing in the area lakes, since the invention of water.  This Hydrilla can spread, which weeds do because "that's what they do", and it is undoubtedly become immune to the many past years of herbicidal attacks.

http://www.outdoornews.com/2015/10/12/nasty-invasive-threatens-fishing-hunting-at-pymatuning/ 
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/11/16 23:55:03

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/17 09:05:59 (permalink)
Simple solution: stock more manatees.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9687
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/17 09:14:35 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Capt. here is some information you should find interesting, not sure if this strain of weed is new or, just an excuse for using harsh(er) chemicals to clear the entire lake of any natural, oxygen producing, living habitat.  I'm told, five years ago, this Hydrilla is different from the same weed that's been growing in the area lakes, since the invention of water.  This Hydrilla can spread, which weeds do because "that's what they do", and it is undoubtedly become immune to the many past years of herbicidal attacks.

http://www.outdoornews.com/2015/10/12/nasty-invasive-threatens-fishing-hunting-at-pymatuning/ 

PFBC needs to invest in an Oxygen Destroyer!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T65rW_SIzg0
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/17 15:00:08 (permalink)
Wow! That sounds like it BTDT ! Not a good plant after reading all that. I'm seeing way more weed growth at the Dam area shorelines. This is a major issue now and going into the future. This weed infestation has destroyed lakes ,just chokes them up !

Bad news for Pymy especially being a shallow lake, it makes it worse !
They say the biologists are very concerned....I can believe that.

Wow, I miss the days you went fishing and nothing changed for years.  

Rich , I usually just use a standard 6 1/2' or 7 ' rod on the local rivers and lakes.
Some guys that boat fish like the longer poles for Crappie jigging in the brush .
post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2016/11/17 15:04:33
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/17 22:31:05 (permalink)
Wow this stuff sucks !

Threat(s):  Invasion by Hydrilla results in extensive economical and ecological damage.  It clogs waterways, interrupting irrigation structures, inhibiting hydroelectric power and interrupting many commercial operations by impeding boat movement, especially by getting caught up in propellors.  Hydrilla is a huge impediment to tourism and can lower real estate values.  The economic consequence is steep.  It includes both the damage incurred by hydrilla as well as attempts at controlling and eradicating it.

Hydrilla forms stands of large monocultures that can be hundreds of acres in size, and it is notorious because of its effective ability to displace native species as well as interrupt patterns of natural water movement.  The dense mats that it forms can also hamper the predatory ability of some fish, creating a food chain predominately ruled by small insectivores.  Lastly, the plant can degrade water quality by changing the amounts of dissolved oxygen, pH and other water characteristics. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/18 01:06:42 (permalink)
Floated around from 1:30 PM til sundown yesterday. Mostly trolling two lines of leadcore, boating a very nice Crappie and Smallmouth Bass, both being returned to the depths of Pymie.

Water temp has dropped two degrees and now reading at 48.

Many fishy pictures being marked in various depths of water with fish holding on the average of two feet from the bottom in 24 ft + depths.

I stayed in water deeper than 25 feet checking my lure depth by letting them bump bottom at 23 ft.

Trolling speeds ranged from .5 to 2 MPH depending on the actual depth of water and fishy pictures.

Spoke with several other anglers fishing from boats and the docks. Catching reports were similar..... stupid fish.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/11/18 01:23:00

treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/18 07:36:00 (permalink)
  I know it seems to late for regulations on the importation of exotic species however there are many more that we do not want. As a Forester I have experienced the devastation wrought by invasive species. We need import laws in many sectors protecting our section of the Earth.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/18 09:41:24 (permalink)
American Chestnut Blight, Gypsy Moth, Emerald Ash Borer, Zebra Mussel, Asian Carp, PA Fish Comm, PA Game Comm, ............

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/18 10:32:46 (permalink)
I'm pretty sure most were brought here accidentally.  I think zebra mussels were in the bilge water of a cargo ship.  PA Fish Commission was in a pork barrel.  It would be really hard to control, without eliminating all international trade and travel.  I do think there should be some sort of common sense measures of fish sales, ect.  From my understanding, it is some sort of Asian ritual to buy two fish, and release one for good luck.  Every year, there ends up being live talapia in the rivers, and climates like Florida where they can survive are overrun with them now.  Having some sort of regulation that all fish sold as food, should be killed on site, and not sold live, makes sense.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/18 10:48:01 (permalink)
There are a SHOCKING amount of laws regarding the import and trade of non-native animals and plants.  And they will never solve the problem.  You can buy heroin on any pretty much any street corner in the US and that has billions of dollars of law enforcement thrown at it.  If someone wants a three-eyed scooter scorpion from Azerbaijan and is willing to pay enough for it, they will get it and when it gets loose if they live somewhere the creature can thrive it will.  The world has become a tiny place.  

For myself, I'm not nostalgic for native species.  If they wanted to stock zander (look them up) in Arthur and they ate all of the native walleye, but we had an awesome zander fishery instead, sign me up.  In fact, throw some of those huge euro-perch in there too for good measure.  :)  

There's a spot along the East coast of FL where the canal system and a couple lakes are loaded with huge aquarium fish.  Big cichlids, clown knife fish, peacock bass.  It's a destination fishery now.  Ever changing world.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/18 10:55:02 (permalink)
I'd take those euro-perch.  The zander is supposed to be elusive.  Arthur walleye are elusive enough as it is.

I've watched shows about peacock bass fishing in Florida.  I'd love to catch one.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/18 11:08:35 (permalink)
One of my first trips to Pymie this past Spring there was a inspection station at the Jamestown launch. It was set up on a volunteer bases and it involved a visual inspection of boat and trailer for signs of "aquatic hitch hikers" followed by questions concerning my last where-a-bouts, time frame, use of live well(s) and sterilation procedures.

For my trouble (which really wasn't) I received my choice of a floaty key chain or a bobber. I chose the....... (sorry, no spot burning).

No other time have I seen or heard of inspections, this year, except for, "Coast Guard Boat Safety" inspections at Shenango.

I'm not against controling any invasive species in our fields, forest or, waters. But I do find the BS we are fed to be insulting. Hydrilla has and will always be a problem, spreading and forming huge mats. That's what it does.

Application of herbicide can and should be applied in a more controlled manner and not just dumped into the waters from carbouys sitting on a fast moving boat.

These herbicides are "non-selective" and eradicate all aquatic growth.

treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/19 02:12:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fishing Fox 2016/11/20 19:00:05
   There was a major meeting of Limnologists ( who were gov. fisheries employees), along with representatives from shipping companies ( Great Lakes), and Political Elite. The Shipping Companies prevailed over the treating of bilge because they convinced the Politician's that it would cost them to much to treat the bilge. This was before zebras and gobies and so much more. Do not forget you can get a permit to raise Cobras and Gabon Vipers in Florida. Is that insane.
   Laws, a government agency gave permission for  Silver Carp to be used in Cat Fish ponds to eat weeds. I fish dwindling native weed beds for pike in Georgian Bay due to the aquarium introduction of Eurasian Milfoil.
   The Hunters and Foresters in the east have not yet realized the coming habitat destruction of the Bush Honeysuckle. The Audubon should be having fits over this calamity. Another 10 years and it will be apparent to all.
   Even the Mosquito that carries the West Niles and Zika  viruses was an introduced species. So is the Deer Tick an introduced species. No one can convince me we do not need more stringent laws. Some introductions will happen but vigilance is desperately needed. Laws only work when the populous cares.
post edited by treesparrow - 2016/11/19 02:14:43
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/19 11:09:55 (permalink)
Fishing Fox
Has the work at the Linesville Marina been completed?

Just got back from a week at Linesville. Went to Wilson instead. Stoped at the Linesville launch last month & sign said closed for 16. The work looks great from the water view. Have a couple photos but don't know how to post.

Welcome to the forums.

crappy
post edited by crappiefisher - 2016/11/19 11:18:40
LetMeBeFishing
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/20 11:32:34 (permalink)
It would be nice if we could see the pictures you took. Maybe someone can help you down load them.
Thanks
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/20 12:50:56 (permalink)
And people and companies wonder why restrictions and red tape come about from States and Federal Government agencies .............because of total abuse , defiance, self profit, and no regards for the well being of nature or other people !  That's why ! 
Fishing Fox
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/20 19:11:06 (permalink)
Crappy Thanks for the welcome and the info on Linesville Marina.
An article last week in the Meadville paper stated that the project completion at Jamestown will be delayed into this Spring due to the slow process in removing the coffer dam.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/23 23:59:27 (permalink)
LetMeBeFishing
It would be nice if we could see the pictures you took. Maybe someone can help you down load them.
Thanks

I'll see if my son will post 'em in the next day or so. Lot ov stone work done. Early Oct. heavy equip. was still there with the gate closed. I love workin' with stone & slate. Dang back is still tight from doin' stone foundation at camp last week & still gotta finish the slate patio before the earth freezes. 22   8' bed truck loads ov red oak/hickory & maple ain't helpin' any either. One ov these days gotta wet a line again.

crappy
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/24 09:50:31 (permalink)
 That's what happens if you have a 200 yr. old house & a 100 +++ yr. old house 

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2016/11/27 16:15:36 (permalink)
Dusted off the waders for a few this afternoon. Hit a few familiar spots looking for some perch but struck out. Lots of guys on the north end putting up stands and checking their spots for tomorrow.
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 44 of 72
Jump to: