Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Silverbullet_11
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2014/10/27 01:03:55 (permalink)

Horseshoe Falls

So I have a question, and I am hoping someone has an educated opinion on my thoughts about this. Last weekend I parked at Route 5 on Walnut and fished that stretch between the Horseshoe Falls and Route 5. I fished this stretch years ago before my Army days and it used to be loaded with Steelhead with light to moderate angling pressure. Last weekend I spent 4 hours taking my time spot fishing as well as talking with other anglers who had zero luck in this stretch and didn't even see any fish. I decided to take a walk down to the circus and could not believe what I saw. There was at a minimum 20 anglers "If that is what you want to call them" on top of each other and even standing in the falls. The fish were piled up, but had zero chance to get up the falls to continue their journey. Why does the fish commission allow this? Why not demo those **** falls and allow the fish to move like they can on elk?  I know it will never happen, but it would be an awesome thing to either provide an outlet for the fish to actually move or post the section of the chutes to just above the falls.
I ended up going to Elk and parked at Foley's to walk downstream. Miles from the access, there were hundreds of fish in bigger holes as well as untouched fish throughout the stretch. The best part, was I could count the number of anglers in the approximate 3 miles I walked on my hands. This is something that could easily be experienced on Walnut if the Fish Commission would do something about that Upper Manchester to Horseshoe stretch. It just baffles me that the commission allows this as it is not even close to what anyone can consider ethical angling, it only creates problems and fighting between anglers, and only has negative effects on the fishery. 
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/27 07:05:40 (permalink)
If you went 3 miles below Foleys you were on Posted private property.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/27 08:14:36 (permalink)
I think they get through there fine at night and during high flows. Not a lot of good holding water in that stretch you walked if my memory serves. Especially early in the year.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/27 11:43:59 (permalink)
I agree, blow up the falls. Fish do get above there on walnut, but not that many. Spread em ahht.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
fishrmn
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 675
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/27 11:57:20 (permalink)
Ain't gonna happen, landowner likes the falls the way they are.

PSA proposed a project to net fish and release them them above the falls, not sure when this will happen.
Silverbullet_11
New Angler
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 00:35:43 (permalink)
Fisrmn- That sounds like an awesome plan if they go through with it.
Silverbullet_11
New Angler
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 00:38:15 (permalink)
bingsbaits- I never saw any signs, but isn't Elk considered a navigable stream so as long as you stay in the water, you are legally allowed to fish? I will definitely look into this prior to doing that again so thank you for the heads up.
gymi03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 336
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 02:22:15 (permalink)
Silverbullet_11
bingsbaits- I never saw any signs, but isn't Elk considered a navigable stream so as long as you stay in the water, you are legally allowed to fish? I will definitely look into this prior to doing that again so thank you for the heads up.

elk is not navigable. if its posted, its posted.
SCaveNJ
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 07:55:46 (permalink)
bingsbaits

Roughly speaking, how far can you go downstream from Foleys before you run into posted property?

I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 09:48:39 (permalink)
Silverbullet_11

No, it is not.  You were trespassing.
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 10:42:21 (permalink)
Isn't there still a huge wire rope across Elk less than 1 mile below Foley's?  No wonder O.P. didn't see many people if he walked three miles down!  lol  The people who own that land will turn you in if they catch you too.  No stream in Erie is currently Navigable, our state legislators are currently working on it though.  But that's a discussion for a different thread or three. 

I do agree that the falls on Walnut need to be chopped down and the top logs in the project holes need to be removed.  I think the commission wants the circus on Walnut set up just the way it is, so that they can monitor a high volume of concentrated anglers right out their front door.  It's a shame that very few fish make it past the project holes and waterfall up into the upper areas of Walnut where there is lots of public access.
Spinners
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 11:38:35 (permalink)
fishrmn
Ain't gonna happen, landowner likes the falls the way they are.

PSA proposed a project to net fish and release them them above the falls, not sure when this will happen.

They have the permission to do this now but the technicalities of doing it are not so easy. They are hoping to organize a group to do it before the winter weather gets too bad. If they can't they hope to in the spring. Netting the fish in groups of volunteers is a bit awkward to tell you the truth. However, there is an idea floating around to one day invest in a salmon cannon for those falls. If that were to one day occur these problems would cease. As for reconstructing the falls, that is a zoning nightmare. Imagine the research needed regarding how it would affect water levels, local wildlife, land erosion, etc. Then the clearances - private land owners affected, EPA, township boards, construction permits, and so forth. All of this boils down to the fact that actually reconstructing the falls to accommodate the steelies is completely impossible. It's all about the salmon cannon. 
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 15:33:48 (permalink)
Is a salmon cannon the same as a fish ladder?  Seems like a fish ladder to get them over the falls on Walnut would be much simpler, cheaper, and open up better upstream fishing due to the number of fish in Walnut than the ladder they already put on 4 mile.  It would also avoid the zoning nightmare of re-shaping the falls.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 15:49:00 (permalink)
Salmon cannon is not a ladder. Google it its crazy. And way overkill IMO.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 15:58:58 (permalink)
SCaveNJ
bingsbaits

Roughly speaking, how far can you go downstream from Foleys before you run into posted property?

To this wire across the whole stream. Can't be much over a mile and a half.

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9686
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 15:59:17 (permalink)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kICS32kady4

I'm taking it you were joking about the fish cannon.  Although the name itself made me google it.  You'd still need volunteers to net the fish to load the cannon.  It looks like it is made more for transporting over dams, without having to truck, ect.  Also, I'd hope these are relatively easy to disassemble and move.  If not, then you are replacing it every March when the ice lets loose.  Would be pretty cool if they make big enough for humans, put one in Splash Lagoon.

Fish ladder sounds more practical.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9686
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 16:03:30 (permalink)
They can fish cannon steelhead from the Loyalhanna Dam to Erie.
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 16:08:44 (permalink)
I still think a bottom release dam and the importing of gravel is the only way to solve this mess

SCaveNJ
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 16:27:09 (permalink)
bingsbaits

Thanks for the reply - that's very helpful.  Sitting here in South Carolina trying to plan the annual trip to Erie, I can only gather so much intel from Google Earth and the FishErie maps.  I appreciate the help.

I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 17:28:31 (permalink)
SCaveNJ
bingsbaits

Thanks for the reply - that's very helpful.  Sitting here in South Carolina trying to plan the annual trip to Erie, I can only gather so much intel from Google Earth and the FishErie maps.  I appreciate the help.

It's not even that far.  It's just slightly over 1/2 mile from Folly's to the wire.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 17:45:55 (permalink)
Your right "D", just measured it on Google Earth and from the flyshop to the wire is only .82 miles. 

Spinners
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 21:16:45 (permalink)
Porktown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kICS32kady4

I'm taking it you were joking about the fish cannon.  Although the name itself made me google it.  You'd still need volunteers to net the fish to load the cannon.  It looks like it is made more for transporting over dams, without having to truck, ect.  Also, I'd hope these are relatively easy to disassemble and move.  If not, then you are replacing it every March when the ice lets loose.  Would be pretty cool if they make big enough for humans, put one in Splash Lagoon.

Fish ladder sounds more practical.

No, actually. I was not joking. The cannon does not require manual fish loading and can run automatically. It can be used over any waterway obstruction, not just large dams. Indeed it is relatively easy to disassemble and move so it could be used seasonally. This invention is owned by a company called Whoosh. Their website explains all the features of the cannon and can be visited at http://whooshh.com/ Apparently the cost of this machine is less than the costs of fish ladders and other fish transportation techniques. 

Still, I don't expect this to come to Erie because it seems so far-fetched but the practicalities of it are real and many. The idea of using it at Walnut has been at least entertained by the PSA. 
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 22:00:11 (permalink)
The Russians would love that.
No snaghooks required just a big net.

Ninja of the Steel
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 49
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/28 23:04:13 (permalink)
This woosh system, if deployed on posted sections of the tribs, could solve a lot of problems. Especially for landowners who "didn't want the fish there to begin with".  Anglers would ignore the posted sections devoid of steelhead resulting in less fines and landowners could rest easy knowing their barren water isn't being fished or trespassed on. If there was only a way to make it practical...

"The images of himself and his line kept disappearing into the rising vapors of the river, which continually circles to the tops of the cliffs where, after becoming a wreath in the wind, they became rays of the sun."
gymi03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 336
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/29 02:27:53 (permalink)
id be nice if the cannon cleaned the feesh as they are launched down the tube.
i did see one on amazon with a smoker attachment as well.

350Z&Steelheads
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/29 08:00:25 (permalink)
Maybe the landowner should put out a little more effort to make his sign more visible.

Obviously it is hard to see.
bingsbaits
SCaveNJ
bingsbaits

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/29 08:46:12 (permalink)
Maybe a red flashing strobe light and an audible warning that keeps repeating "You are approaching a No Trespassing Area"?

In PA private property does not need to have any visible signage and those entering without permission can be considered as trespassing.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/29 10:25:12 (permalink)
Agreed. Ignorance of the law is supposed to be no excuse, but it can be.

We were in the house we were having built the other evening and some deer came out in the yard. They hung around for a few minutes and then bolted for the woods. It was not long until four people, all wearing head lamps (it was that close to dark), came walking through the yard and continued to the woods where the deer had entered.

When they disappeared into the woods, we started down that way. As we approached the woods, we could see a light going up the steps to our treehouse.

As the light came down, I started down the path through the woods. When I saw the lights coming, I stepped off the path until the group was 10 yards away. I then stepped out and asked them if I could help them.

After the screams from the women died out, they told me they were considering buying the parcel of land and since there buddy (the person who climbed into our tree house) was a deer hunter, they wanted to show him the neat tree house that he could hunt out of.

They then asked who the h@ll I was and Whiskey Tango Foxtrot I was doing there in the dark.

I explained tact we were building the house they walked past. They then asked what part of the area comprised our lot. I think they were a little stunned when I told them that we owned every square inch of ground that they had been on from the moment they stepped out of their vehicle and around my No Trespassing signs -- including OUR treehouse.

I said that I could understand the confusion since it was dark (it wasn't that dark when they headed down there, we could see deer at 300 yards, but I was trying to be nice).

They then told me they were there at a previous time and could not figure out the property line. So I started at the lower marker which, in addition to the iron pin and the stake in the ground with three orange ribbons on it, is marked by a tree with an 8 foot orange ribbon blowing in the breeze. We the walked along a straight line, just like on the 4X8 foot plot map at the beginning of the entry road depicts, until we reached the upper boundary where they parked at the end of paved private drive. There I pointed out the 6 foot orange paint mark on the paving that shows the surveyed property line.

I further explained tat if that paint mark and the tree ribbon are used to create a straight line like on the map, that would be the property line between what we own (12.5 acres) and the property (10 acres) they are considering. I also helped them by showing how all of the open ground down to the woods (both properties extend into the woods about 75 yards) on our side of the property line is either mowed field or new growth grass and everything on the lot that was for sale is overgrown to at least waist if not head height.

They said they didn't know that ( but no apology for trespassing or trampling our just peaking out new grass) and they were so sure they really understood the property line.

Maybe I need that red flashing strobe light and audio warning.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
freshwaterdrumR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 603
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/29 10:41:22 (permalink)
Can't wait to see the people who follow the guys with nets.  As soon as they release the fish from the nets above the falls I bet there are people standing over top of them trying to catch them. It will be just like the guys casting for trout as soon as they come out of the truck lol  

KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
Re: Horseshoe Falls 2014/10/29 11:15:11 (permalink)
freshwaterdrumR
Can't wait to see the people who follow the guys with nets.  As soon as they release the fish from the nets above the falls I bet there are people standing over top of them trying to catch them. It will be just like the guys casting for trout as soon as they come out of the truck lol  

sounds like most of the people who post on PAflyfish.

technically... the only public fishing locations are the ones in the yellow on the the map here http://fishandboat.com/steelhead.htm
direct link to map - http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=ea013d06224f4f618dbf42ead8a42812

anywhere else and you are on private property and can be asked to leave at anytime
post edited by KJH807 - 2014/10/29 11:46:25

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: