etiquette question

Author
wayneo73
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points: 0
2014/10/15 12:32:04 (permalink)

etiquette question

there was a question asked in another thread that i was hoping to get some feedback on but didn't want to hijack the thread... here's my question/questions:

i'm fairly new to steelhead fishing.  i've noticed there are things that are common on the erie tribs that you don't often see on a normal (non first day) trout stream... mostly regarding crowds and starting to fish a hole/run that someone is already fishing.  is there a space between fisherman guideline?  number of fisherman/hole guideline?  are those answers different based on section of stream or how crowded in general the stream already is?

as a newb, i'll avoid fishing a spot because i don't know what's "proper"... but i feel i may be missing out on some opportunities by not stepping in and fishing a hole that someone is already fishing.  for example, a regular (someone with experience) may walk up to the "xyz" hole and see "x" # of people already fishing it and start fishing because they know that hole holds x # more people.  a newb might walk up to the same hole and think, that hole is overcrowded and move on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here's the other thread and how it was posed:
http://forums.fishusa.com/Message/548586-amundson-savvy-edge-centerpin-combo-review/
not trying to be ignorant, but I have an etiquette question.  I know it's irritating when people try to cram into an already over crowded spot, but is it rude to step in on pinners?  Last year on a popular stretch of Elk that comfortably fishes 6 to 7 guys, I really wasn't sure if it was ok to walk in on 2 pinners monopolizing that entire stretch solely due to the type of equipment they were using.

20 Replies Related Threads

DRod
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: etiquette question 2014/10/15 13:16:04 (permalink)
    My experience:

Project waters on Walnut up to the Manchester Hole and Chutes, be prepared to fish nearly shoulder to shoulder.  A few places on Elk as well.  Would imagine that there are also spots on other streams where I don't fish much where you could expect the same.  When I fish some places, I expect it.  So yes, I guess you could say general expectations are probably different on different streams and in different stretches of water.  

However, I personally try to leave enough space for a handful of other fishermen to slip in between me and the next guy, because it almost inevitably happens in some spots and I don't want to be "that guy."  I don't get too uptight in those cases when they slip in between me and the next guy because that's the mentality in certain spots and I've just come to expect it.  It can work with a little courtesy and common sense timing your drift if you can tolerate the crowds and the occasional tangled line.  

In a few weeks, if that's not your thing, there will be plenty of fish spread throughout the length of the tribs and you shouldn't have to do that or worry about others doing it to you.  You've got the right approach though - try your best to find stretches of water where you can comfortably fish without interfering with those around you.  As you get further from public access areas and big crowded holes, I think there's a general expectation from others that you'll leave even more room.  At least, that's how I try to roll.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: etiquette question 2014/10/15 14:01:01 (permalink)
    Gosh...... I love fishing and I can feel the excitement even though I'm not there but, fishing shoulder to shoulder, I think I'll pass and give somebody my spot.

Tight lines to yinz...... Oh, and send pictures.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: etiquette question 2014/10/15 14:02:37 (permalink)
    If you walk some stream and don't find fish other than where the crowd is.(assuming its low and clear and fish are very concentrated to big holes) Slide in there and fish. It doesnt hurt to ask the guy next to you if its ok. Most people fishing low on the streams early in the year come to expect that. Just try and time your drifts with the guys around you to avoid tangles. Nobody likes it when a newbie busts into a crowded hole and throws a rooster tail across 8 guys lines and tangles every one. Just be courteous to those around you and use a little common sense. I rarely fish shoulder to shoulder anymore. I'd prefer to walk a bit and fish smaller pods if it means less people. But sometimes this time of year it can't be avoided.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9682
    Re: etiquette question 2014/10/15 14:28:30 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
     fishing shoulder to shoulder, I think I'll pass and give somebody my spot.

This we can agree on. 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: etiquette question 2014/10/15 16:05:28 (permalink)
    yeah............. but don't tell anybody! (lol)

thanks for the "no need to fish shoulder to shoulder". B-)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

DRod
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: etiquette question 2014/10/15 16:35:09 (permalink)
    Welp, let me try to 'splain why I tolerate shoulder to shoulder conditions sometimes.

The more important things I've got going on in my life limit my hunting and fishing opportunities.  I get about 5 or 6 chances a year to chase steelhead with my 10 year old son, and it's probably our favorite thing to do together.  

So, when we get a green light to go to Erie we go.  We went Monday since he didn't have school or football practice, with one of his best friends and his dad.  Knew it would be a zoo given the current conditions, time of year and a holiday weekend (for some).  Fished the Trout Run conga line in the AM and had a lot of fun.  No tangles.  No crossed lines.  Everybody enjoying themselves.  Found some stacked fish on lower Walnut mid-afternoon and the 4 of us shared a drift with a few other folks who came and went until dusk.  We all caught fish, had fun and didn't have to untangle too many lines.  Everybody had fun and we all left the stream on friendly terms and helped each other out and gave another youngster and his dad a chance to fight and land a few who were near us and weren't catching anything.  

We taught our boys how to share and play well with others.  We taught our boys to help people out when you're in a good position and they're not.  We laughed a lot and made some life-long memories.

I'm sure we'll find some more solitude when we come mup in November and the fish are spread out and the water's up a little bit.  And we'll laugh a lot and make some more life-long memories.   

Know it's not for everybody, and I'd certainly take some solitude over what we were doing Monday.  It's like a lot of other things in life - gotta have the right attitude and perspective as you learn to deal with all kinds of different people and situations to do the things in life that bring you joy.  
    post edited by DRod - 2014/10/15 16:49:20
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: etiquette question 2014/10/15 18:08:52 (permalink)
    Great post DRod,wish everyone had your attitude!
    sengland
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: etiquette question 2014/10/15 20:58:31 (permalink)
    I saw one comment that explains early season Steelheading. "If your going to the circus, there's going to be clowns."
    munster
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: etiquette question 2014/10/16 10:59:25 (permalink)
    Like previously mentioned...if it's low and clear you'll probably end up in a crowded hole. What I like to do is just step back and watch the group first just to see how everyone is fishing it. If everyone is drifting the middle of the hole, then I can go to the top of it and swing streamers to pick up those fish. Making conversation and asking permission if you have to squeeze in is another way to work in. A lot of times I have found that some guys might be bored with not catching anything and will give you a shot. Timing your drift with others' is major.

I have met/fished with a lot of great people on Erie tribs, and very rare that you come across a true A-hole. They're there, however. I don't give them the time of day.
    CHROMENUTZ
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: etiquette question 2014/10/16 14:55:37 (permalink)
    I AGREE VERY GOOD POST DRod I WAS AT THE CIRCUS AT
    TROUT RUN ON MONDAY AND YES THERE WAS ALOT OF 
    FISHERMAN SOME MORE FORGIVING THAN OTHERS, I LIKE
    TO FISH TROUT RUN BUT SOMETIMES FIND IT DIFFICULT TO
    DO SO DUE TO 3 FOOT SURGERIES IN THE LAST YEAR AND 1/2 I
    CANNOT GET WADERS ON SO I AM FORCED TO SHORE FISH WHICH
    UPSETS ALOT OF GUYS DOWN THERE FORTUNATELY THIS YEAR I HAVE
    BEEN NEXT TOO SOME PRETTY NICE PEOPLE THAT HAVE MOVED OVER TO GIVE ME ENOUGH SPACE TO FISH BUT MOST OF THE TIME YOU CAN SEE THE BY FACIAL EXPRESSION THAT MOST ARE NOT TOO HAPPY WITH ME BUT I DO THE BEST I CAN, AS I WAIT ALL YEAR TO GET AFTER THE
    STEELHEAD AND ONLY HAVE 5 OR 6 CHANCES TO DO SO.WOULD IT BE EASIER IF IT WASNT SHOULDER TO SHOULDER OF COURSE BUT I UNDERSTAND THAT SOME OF THESE GUYS ONLY HAVE LIMITED CHANCES TO GET UP THERE LIKE MYSELF SO EVERYONE HAS TO BE
    MORE TOLERANT TO CROWDS
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    Re: etiquette question 2014/10/16 21:05:05 (permalink)
    if you think erie tribs get crowded, go fish the oak and 18 mile in NY a couple times. that will make you feel like you have alot of room when in erie. combat fishing some will refer to it as.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: etiquette question 2014/10/16 21:50:51 (permalink)
    No........... Thank You. I don't fish my local trout streams when it's elbow to elbow.

wayneo73
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: etiquette question 2014/10/19 08:43:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the tips/advice. I'll be sure to put it to use next time up.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    Re: etiquette question 2014/11/07 07:43:20 (permalink)
    It's a feel thing for me, I don't like the crowds either so I try and move away from them. But I have and still do fish the lower sections joinging in the "circus" from time to time. I like to leave "enough" room as to where if you time your drifts correctly you will not adversely affect the fishermen on either side of you. But that is Erie, 80% of the fishermen within 500 yards either way of the parking area.
    My best advice is to download the stream maps from this site, put them in a sheet protector and put them in a binder. Take a day and just explore, do not fish. Drive around to all the streams. Mark on the maps spots you like, spots that have "legal" parking, spots that are posted. Once you finish marking all the laps, lamoinate them to help pprotect them. This way if the "circus" on the lower sections is too much,you now have options. I did this in the summer one year and I still carry that binder every time I go to Erie. If new waters get posted or you need to add anything to the map, just make a color copy and add your new information and repeat....

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: etiquette question 2014/11/10 07:08:35 (permalink)
    I have a hat I wear fishing that has lettering on both sides......." If you can read this your fishing to close " !   LOL !
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: etiquette question 2014/11/10 07:31:29 (permalink)
    Gotta get me one of those hats!

L13
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: etiquette question 2014/11/10 08:21:08 (permalink)

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: etiquette question 2014/11/10 09:02:55 (permalink)
    from formerguide, a former member..........

http://forums.fishusa.com...d-the-upcoming-season/
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: etiquette question 2014/11/12 06:24:16 (permalink)
    When someone cuts off my drift, I politely remind them, if they hook a fish, they better get it from in front of me because I am going to continue casting......WF...fore warned..lets see you land that one buddy...17# test line , that I use,really comes in handy
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: etiquette question 2014/11/12 09:49:42 (permalink)
    Leme ask yall this one..

I done know if somebody hooks a fish, and goes off to fight it an' land it and all, youre supposed to stay outta their spot, an' let them come back to it when they are done. But, if him and his buddy done take their fish on the bank to rope it, and then stand there talking (not fishing) for 20 minutes, it's not their spot anymore. 

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Jump to: