Raystown Lake

Author
Brad1
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 338
  • Reward points: 0
2014/09/30 15:14:01 (permalink)

Raystown Lake

Will be making my first trip to Raystown Lake in a couple weeks. Trailering my 16 ft Starcraft, 60 hp main motor, 9.9 trolling motor. 

Any info anyone can provide on launching, navigating, boating on the lake would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

Brad

2 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Raystown Lake 2014/09/30 15:24:25 (permalink)
    When trolling pay very close attention to any 'tree tops' still showing up on your depth finder.  The lake was formed from flooding a steep canyon area with the dam and (most of) the trees weren't removed.  I haven't been there in about 4 or 5 years but do know if you are too deep with your set up you will be loosing a lot of lures.  Also, do a simple run around in the area you want to fish at lower speeds to see where the edges of the trees and the steep walls are.   The drop offs are incredible and you can be only 20 or 30 feet from the shoreline in places and be in 80+ feet of water. 
    And take your camera... you should be seeing some incredible scenery there this time of year, and hopefully the general pleasure boaters traffic will be reduced.  If it is a weekend (during warmer weather) that lake is horrible for speed boats, and they will run right over your trolling lines and will run past you (way too close) at full speed and they really don't care if they swamp your boat or not.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    Re: Raystown Lake 2014/12/17 13:41:11 (permalink)
    Find the pods of baitfish on your electronics, slow troll live baits, with an electric motor and the lake trout and bass will be near by. I like to fish it in the spring and fall, summer is just to crazy there. 
    Jump to: