DEC on the job

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/09/17 22:07:09 (permalink)

DEC on the job

I am a member of s few Facebook groups on fishing. This was posted on the Oswego river page.  Guy got 2 tickets in one day (looks to be at the same time).
If you can't see ticket one for weight being greater that 4 feet above hook and ticket 2 for SNAGGING. He really must have been ripping away to get 2.   Said his sinkers got snagged on the bottom and they  were pulled up that high and he was trying to yank the snag free. Likely story................

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

6 Replies Related Threads

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: DEC on the job 2014/09/18 04:08:00 (permalink)
    Don't do the crime if you can't do the time 
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: DEC on the job 2014/09/18 07:03:00 (permalink)
    Sheet, the guy can do magic and defy the laws of physics by getting his sinkers to slide UP the line when he's snagged, maybe he can make them tickets disappear.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: DEC on the job 2014/09/18 21:19:49 (permalink)
    Here is a recent ( 2 years ago )encounter from myself.
    I went to RI clamming with some friends, all good. We stop at a local tackle shop to get a license, supplies and ask for some new places to try. Now mind you, I did research the screwy regs which were very hard to decipher, so we asked as well.
    So this tackle shop sends us to location B, we go there and start digging in the mud. After finding many we hear a loud HEY , come over here and don't empty your pockets. Low and behold its a man in Green and he is pizzed.
    He asked what we are doing clamming here, I tell him the shop sent us there. He says its a closed area due to pollution , I looked puzzled and ask where it says that, he says there are no signs , you must go to the crazy website or call the hotline to find closed areas which change often . I'm like huh , the tackle shop sent us there and in NO way do I want polluted clams. Well he didn't care to hear that and proceeded to give us a written Warning which he explained would be in the data base on our PERMANENT record, if we ever received another violation in the state of RI we would be BANNED for LIFE from any wildlife privilege in the state.
    Hummmmmmm. Strict lesson learned from a tough law.
    If only NY had such then maybe people would think twice , I did in RI and some of my friends vowed never to return, their loss.
    Moral of story,
    The football game is a blow out and I was a little bored. Lol
    post edited by hot tuna - 2014/09/18 21:29:34

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: DEC on the job 2014/09/18 22:07:26 (permalink)
    My Dec\park ranger story
    Sounds like the time I was riding my wheeler in Happy Valley, a wildlife management area. Start out on a road that is Clearly marked as an atv trail. Drive down a few miles, pass a turn  and pull over to look at the map. Up comes a ranger who states ''we got a problem here boys''  says that this road is a non atv road after that tree right there and he is going to write us a ticket. He could clearly see we were looking at the map. Told us that when we crossed the town line   at that tree the trail stopped and we should have made the turn 200 yards  back. After looking at the map we determined all this.  Asked him why there was no signage stating that the road that started as an atv road was no longer one. He said it was up to us to  know the trails and stay on them and he was a NYS Park Ranger and this was a county area so it was not his job to put signs up. Worse part was he heard more wheelers down the trail in the restricted area. Took our registrations, told us to stay put AND LEFT US THERE FOR 40 MINUTES. Came back still wrote us tickets and left. I was beyond mad and asked for his supervisors name before he left.  So here was a case of over enforcement when we were obviously lost . Ended up taking the ticket to court after talking to the judge (who is a big atv rider), because he told me that guy would just sit there and write tickets because many people missed the turn. I got the ticket tossed and the azz hat never even showed.  Called his supervisor and told him how rude he was to us when we were lost and that it was totally unprofessional to leave us sitting there for 40 minutes for riding 200 yards down a non atv road. I asked for a face to face apology which I did not get. The supervisor apologized for the guys actions and said he would speak to him about it. There are now signs in the area.
    So you can tell I am bored too. I may try a few hours next week.............

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: DEC on the job 2014/09/19 05:37:46 (permalink)
    My fave overenforcement tale.

Fishing 15 yards or so out in LO swinging flies for steel.
    Econ man yells to come show him my license.
    I am belly button deep on a cobble - rock bottom so it was a chore did no problem I'll be there in a second.
    Show the paper have a chat about it being nice to see enforcement around then its back in the water.

Mind you there are clearly lifters on shore where we are talking.
    He never even looks there way.

Next day repeat of first.
    I ask him why he checked me again and he says he has to enter a certain amount of info into the computer system to justify his day.
    Now mind you that I am 6'5' and at the time 220lb  with brown hair down my back and a Grizzly Adams facebrush.
    There is no doubt he knew who I was by now and had a license.
    I see him coming the third day in  a row to disrupt my fishing so I never look back at the beach.
    Hear him yell and ignore it.
    Yells louder .
    Don't turn.
    Finally after 15 or 20 minutes I look at him pull out my license and hold it up.
    He screams to bring it over to him and I yell back it is dangerous and I might drown so I have followed the law and showed him my license and if he wanted a better look again he could wade out and get one.

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: DEC on the job 2014/09/19 07:17:27 (permalink)
    Then there was the undercover ECO at Linear Park on IC who stood upstream of my position as I drifted to the only Ironhead I'd seen all day. After about 15 minutes he ID'D himself as an ECO (I knew because of the visible stripe on the pants between the plaid wool coat and the hip boots), and said he thought I was trying to lift the fish.  I replied that I have a rule about not leaving fish to find fish, and if I was trying to lift the fish, I would have been done after 2 or 3 drifts, not letting a fly swing by him for 30 minutes.  He let it drop at that. 

L13 
    Jump to: