Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/08/15 21:30:58 (permalink)

HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES

WOW is all I can say.  This will definitely price me out of ever getting a season pass.
Here goes the new yearly pass good for all year as they are now open in summer  $900
9 month pass 8/14- 5/14                                                                                   $750
6 month pass   old steelhead pass       11/1 -5/1                                                 $450
3 month summer pass.   5/1-8/1                                a bargain at                     $150

Peak season day passes are now                                $65.  M to Thurs. And  $75 Friday to Sunday
They do now offer afternoon passes        after 1pm       at $45 for peak season.

Reason for the upping or so they say is that they are now limiting numbers to. 250 during peak season and 65 11/1 to 12/15 and 35 12/15 -3/31

All I can saw is wow.

We all know our resident troll will be all over this post so please let us just  do our best to ignore that.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

104 Replies Related Threads

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/15 21:37:08 (permalink)
    Also lodging does not include fishing passes anymore that is separate.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/15 22:03:20 (permalink)
    Disgusting!!!!!!!!!

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/15 22:34:53 (permalink)
    I have n't been there since the $35/day days and I know I'll never go there again,as our fearless leader says....period!

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 04:10:50 (permalink)
    Ya saw that yesterday myself.
    Can't say I'm shocked or disgusted but I know I'll not see those waters again>

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 07:23:40 (permalink)
    Yup that is disgusting for sure..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 07:34:36 (permalink)
    I was getting close on the season pass list, bet I get the call this year. Pricing the common man (whose tax dollars pay for those fish) right out. Justifying it by decreasing numbers of fisherman, and staff needed to police it I am sure. Price went up by 50% for most stuff.  Going to turn it into an all exclusive speytard throwing country club. I am priced out at those prices. I was close to talking myself into $500 being worth it, but  $750 is a big no way.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 07:49:56 (permalink)
    Not in the least surprising. The day price is still cheaper than hiring a guide or private waters where the fish are stocked heavily, yeah backdoor politics at its finest. The only reason it's not more is the fact it is stocked by the state. Now I see why they call it the Black Hole. It's a vacuum for us non-wealthy suckers trying to get as low on the river as you can get for free.  More people risking getting sucked down that chute. I may pay  for one day this season, but that's debatable. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 08:17:37 (permalink)
    now I know my memory sucks but I will give it a shot of my costs there through the years (well I can't recall the years)
    1. Free
    2. Closed to zero tresspassing (on the property)
    3. $5.00 per day (parking) for steelhead / $10.00 for salmon
    4. $10.00 for steel / $15.00 salmon, per man
    5. first season pass, $100.00 / $20.00 per day
    6. Price increase of season pass $150
    7. Price increase of season pass $200 / day pass $30.00
    8. Price increase $250 or steelhead pass $125 ?.
    9.Price increase $300
    10. Price increase $500
    11. Price increase $750 for guides pass (I droped out at that point)

From #6-11 the increases went very quickly up once Connie left..

I don't know if I would swing the $75.00 per day.. Man thats another 30 pk..lol

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 09:40:05 (permalink)
    It's a 50% increase on price. Yea they added the afternoon pricing , but that is only $5 less than the day bas from last year. The "justification" is the decrease in number of fishermen from 500 to 250.   250*75=18750.

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 09:40:39 (permalink)
    Wow is right... Definitely debatable for myself to renew for next year but with a years time to slowly save I probably will bite the bullet and renew my 8/15-5/15 access pass. My son is only 7 and he loves fishing down there. It is worth it for me/us... But yes wow!!! I would hope that prices stay at this rate. Daily fees??? No way I would pay it, but as fichy mentioned it is way cheaper than a guide and many folks spending 100's on a weekend trip or four day trip may very well still find it worth getting daily passes for their annual trip...
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 09:46:12 (permalink)
    So much for Fred's assurances that prices would remain reasonable, and that was back when it was 250 rods per day at 10.00.  I think it is time for the Nursery waters regulations that they have in Pa.  WE pay for the fish, not the new senator.

L13
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3066
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 09:48:02 (permalink)
    Is that daily fisherman number including guides with multiple  clients or overall ???-Does It include season pass holders ???-do guides get to enter early with those clients and take the favored spots ???---
     Even in 'days of old' it always looked like lots of extra fishermen to me, and the guides with clients NEVER rotated outa favored spots.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/08/16 09:50:05
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 09:57:20 (permalink)
    Again my memory sucks but when I was guiding there it was, guides ( at extra cost ) first. Season pass holders second then 1/2 hr later - free for all dash for the joe dirts. By the time the day pass folks got to the water most all the prime spots already had red lights staking their territory ..

Also I think it was 350 day passes , 150 season passes , don't know what the equation was for guide pass

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 10:04:07 (permalink)

*Max. # of anglers includes all guests (not just day pass holders as in the past)
    NOTE: Hours of operation will be implemented today August 15, 2014

Looks to be combined and yes guides and season pass holders get to go down I think 1/2 hour earlier. No mention of rotation so if your there your there.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 10:05:04 (permalink)
    Dime, if I lived out there, I would do as you do and think about saving up for it. You have enough memories that you want to pass on to your kids that it still is worth it. You also can fish enough to bring the daily price way down to a more reasonable level. I'd pay more just in gas and food per visit, by far.  If I run into you or HT wants to go sometime, I'll probably bite the bullet and go. As HT said, it is great early water. As for later, I'll pay for Jack's secret spot, though I only think he charges a beer and a few netted fish....
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 10:36:29 (permalink)
    Looking at that schedule, he does nothing for the local economy, as he can run the whole show with one person for most of the year, and only has to hire a few parttime "wardens" for the 2 months that the sharks are running.   As this is a  defacto private preserve, fish caught here should be ineligible for consideration for state records.  And considering the restrictive regulations on the upper fly to protect Atlantics, it should be pointless hooks only down here in the summer.  We pay so Doug's rich buddies can play.

L13
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 11:05:16 (permalink)
    So I checked their website, and couldn't find any of this.  But I do have a question, who stocked the browns into the river so they could enjoy the summer fishery? 
    I would hate to find out it was publicly paid for 2 year olds stocked into private waters, especially when there was a shortage for the remainder of the state.  And can I just go hire a private hatchery and dump their fish into a public waterbody (they own the bottom, but the people of the state of NY own the water.) Time to start making some noise!

L13
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 12:14:44 (permalink)
    I hear you loud and clear L-13.
    Some of what I read and understand is the browns were " purchased " for stocking that area this spring , May.
    I can stay neutral on that aspect because there is really nothing keeping them in " his " water,,, um land underneath .
    I'm sure strings were pulled however to get them when others did not.

Atlantic's, call me spoiled , call me selfish or call me just plain stupid but I could give a crap about them in the river after the tons of $$$$$$$ put into the program with what I consider a failed effort. In 35 years I could count on 1 hand how many I have caught ( adults ) and it sure didn't give me a bonner knowing I caught the holy grail .
    Long live the King !!!

Back to the top :
    I truly love the water in the DSR for salmon. I truly despise the idea of exploiting it for a certain well endowed and making a struggling working man to make ends meet to continue to live their dreams.
    It BLOWS what is going on with the jail water , dsr and every other joker who is OVER exploiting the fishery for personal gain.
    Reason I bought a boat and moved to the ( for now ) open free water.
    Peace $ Tuna

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 12:38:00 (permalink)
    Lucky13
    So I checked their website, and couldn't find any of this.  But I do have a question, who stocked the browns into the river so they could enjoy the summer fishery? 
    I would hate to find out it was publicly paid for 2 year olds stocked into private waters, especially when there was a shortage for the remainder of the state.  And can I just go hire a private hatchery and dump their fish into a public waterbody (they own the bottom, but the people of the state of NY own the water.) Time to start making some noise!

L13

Having seen this private stocking scenario several times in my locale, I seem to recall a permit requirement and a number of biological restrictions. Of course, wealth and connections fill in the bottom line for those pretty easily. Considering the horrible stocking job they are doing in my neck of the woods, if they are allocating 2 year old browns for a summer stocking program in the DSR, I'll be more than ripsheet mad. 

Years ago we use to chuck the Atlantic parr  into the woods that were stocked into a tributary of the Connecticut. You'd catch 3 of those for every native brookie, they're so aggressive.  Us poor Vermonters knew if the Atlantics ever took hold, the fishery would go entirely private and licenses would skyrocket. The fine for killing one was 500 bucks. I had some  potentially pretty expensive days. 
    post edited by fichy - 2014/08/16 12:43:56
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3066
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 13:07:28 (permalink)
    Same here Charlie- once they stock the annual thousands upon thousands of those fingerlings ya may as well stop trout fishing.  Still no real measurable return on this low end of the Ct river either. A failed enterprise- imagine if they stocked ocean running Kings or Steel instead.
    Ct had also tried ocean running Browns decades ago in favorable waters- same result so they quit.
     They claim the Ct river Atlantics end up off of Greenland or Iceland or one of those cold places  in the commercial fishing areas and get decimated each year- ---then why continue the program????
     Don't know what the excuse in Ontario is  but a failure is just that----move on and find a new venture if ya must-but move on ( and NOT to Skamania either) -don't compound errors.
    NOT complaining bout the effort - they tried and deserve credit there- but MOVE ON.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/08/16 13:09:56
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 13:20:16 (permalink)
    The DSR was getting too crowded during peak weekends....So, jack up the price and lower the number of passes sold...Revenue wise it's a wash and it's more enjoyable for the guests....I have no problem with it...Also, you must release trout caught in the DSR.  Lake run trout should have an asterisk if used for record books anyway.  The pictures of folks gill blasting browns caught from a boat is disappointing....Throw the trout back.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 13:35:18 (permalink)
    Just got first hand info that mature adult Atlantic's came up on a fish cam out in the mouth of beaverdam brook. This was a week or so ago. And they were of the latest adipose fin clipped program.. They had also shocked beaver dam brook some time ago this summer to find only grilse (immature non spawning Atlantic's)... The fish cam ended up showing a few black kings and the Atlantic's were gone... As well as any immature Atlantic's that were around. Clint, the gentlemen had told me that those 7 or so smaller fish that you and I saw were most likely immature Atlantic's. I think the two larger of the group were browns...

Where did the Atlantic's go??? My take is with kings in the fishery, Atlantic's end up getting muscled out of their spawning grounds. Where the politics will land, no one knows....

Wait what was the original topic ??? Oh yeah duhhh :)
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 13:59:15 (permalink)
    Great news Drew.. I remember when Fran got serious wood when a whopping 4 adults returned 4 years ago. Now seeing 1 already I'm sure the program will be considered a huge success and the jail water will start the band wagon about a world class Atlantic fishery :( .

What was this thread about ?
    It was really about how many fish you hooked today .. ( kidding bro )

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 15:05:48 (permalink)
    Where a fish can act like a fish!  - Steve Kowalski
    August 2014

Focusing on Guest Experience Ushers in New Era for DSR
    Early this year, the DSR analyzed the results from its guest survey and planned for the future. In April, we announced minor changes that immediately improved the guest experience. Today, the DSR is very excited to share big changes to be implemented on May 15, 2015.

We expect our plans to improve your fishing experience by
    • Dramatically reducing the maximum number of anglers on the river each day (For example, 250 in salmon season instead of over 500, as in the past)
    • Dividing the year into six fishing seasons, each having different attributes designed to satisfy your passion for fishing specific species  (For example, a $25 day pass and a limit of 30 anglers fishing for steelhead in the winter)
    • Providing flexibility with more options for types of fishing passes and their pricing (For example, full day and afternoon passes from $15 to $75 depending on the season)
     *Max. # of anglers includes all guests (not just day pass holders as in the past)
    NOTE: Hours of operation will be implemented today August 15, 2014.

*Prices for clients of DSR Guide Pass Holders Only

We also expect our plans to improve your lodging experience by:
    • offering lodging at competitive pricing. Fishing passes will be sold separately. (For example, one person staying in our Deer Run Lodge for $60 to enjoy winter solitude)
    • varying the price across the seasons so you can stay with us during any season of the year (For example, four persons staying in our Meadow Lodge for $420 to fish in late September or for $240 in late winter)

Check out all the New 2015 Seasonal Lodge Prices available at the DSR website.

As of May 15, 2015 lodging prices will no longer include fishing passes. Fishing passes will be purchased separately giving lodge guests the choice to fish where they want when they want; in any season.

We announce these plans today for implementation in May 15, 2015 so you can plan ahead. Until then, our current plans remain in place.

Join us as we offer continued refinements in our never ending quest to improve your experience and fulfill our vision:

A destination where like-minded sportsmen share their passion, pride, and appreciation for the outdoors, and one that inspires camaraderie and memorable experiences for generations to come.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 15:26:26 (permalink)
    This DSR thing brings true meaning to "There is a sucker born every minute". I just love the caption on the banner "........ where sport meets spirit". Sport??
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 15:31:03 (permalink)
    This come from e mails you get if you are on their mailing list.  I could not find the one on the brown stocking, but it is as above, purchased with private monies and stocked in their waters as they are trying to get a better summer fishery going. If they would have left the price the same and lowered the # of anglers that would have went a long way to show they are  just not grabbing money.  They act like their new prices are doing everyone a favor, but in reality people just complained that they let too many people in and they found a way to fix it and not take a huge hit. To folk that fished there was there ever 500 people there and how often did they hit that 500 mark,  would be nice to know what the average # was on a weekend I shark season. Also how crowded would the place be with 250. At 250 would everyone get  fishable water or would some folk be left flailing a dead water.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 15:42:24 (permalink)
    There's more doublespeak and politicianese in that crap than in the  NYS fishing regulations. I wanna fish , not look at spread sheets.  On that note, the  4 wd & yak's going into a backwoods smallie lake. Truck's packed with camp and fish gear. I'll worry about " to pay or not to pay, that is the question" some other time.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 16:00:53 (permalink)
    I love the part they say " where like minded people come together "
    I know back many years ago ( fred, norm & connie ) when they would sell out. Obviously the price was " reasonable ".
    Once the price hit the $30.00 mark it was rare there was a sellout unless the water was so low it was the only game in town.
    As for it being crowded at a sellout.. That all depended on how one chose to fish. The wall, joss, glide, spring, meadow and any named hole was full of people.
    I always liked fishing moving ( not literly ) fish in between those areas as the rested in shallow water behind an eddy.
    Those areas , at least then were not crowded because people didn't realize how to fish them. They would try the same old drift method , get hung up and leave for deeper water. The swing with very little , if any weight other the the fly was the key to success.
    Now , at least in my last trip down there people have figured a lot out , not everyone actually fishes for them ( there are snaggers abound there too ) but many have learned that you can catch them instead of just hooking em'

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 18:27:54 (permalink)
    Best I can hope for is 1 day if a good friend comes through with his free guest pass again.Last year it was running 12-15 or 1800 on the day I got to use it.
    Tough sledding that was.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: