Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
  • Reward points: 0
2014/01/31 14:10:13 (permalink)

New $5 fishing license button

I read an atricle that in March they are coming out with a additional $5 license button like they old days.
It is optional, but can be worn in place of the paper license which still has to be purchased.
However, I did not see where or what for the extra revenue is going to be used.
Does anybody know ? 
I'm not oppossed to it, but I would like to see where the funds are going. I have no issue wearing the paper license to begin with.
What is your take ? 
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9657
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/01/31 14:46:42 (permalink)
It would be nice if they did multiple buttons.  Proceeds went souly to the division/button that you purchased.  i.e. Delayed harvest, warm water species, boating, native trout, state parks, ect.  Heck, it would be nice if they had a survey with the liscense asking these questions when buying your license.
350Z&Steelheads
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/01/31 15:09:57 (permalink)
https://www.surveymonkey....Fishing-License-Button

http://www.fish.state.pa....4press/button-vote.htm

http://articles.mcall.com...-show-brantley-gilbert

Voluntary youth fishing license $1: The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission held its first quarterly meeting last week and approved a voluntary $1 fishing license for anglers under age 16. The revenue raised from the sale of the voluntary license will be used for furthering youth fishing initiatives.
In addition, the extra revenue generated by the PFBC through the voluntary license sale will be counted toward additional federal aid because the Sport Fish Restoration Act of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service ties federal funds to the number of anglers licensed in a state. The PFBC estimated that each $1 voluntary youth license sold could net the agency as much as $5 additional in federal funds.

***********The PFBC, responding to pressure to remove the wearing of a fishing license, came up with another option that passed last week as well. In addition to purchasing your regular fishing license, you can buy for $5 a new fishing license button, which was used in the 1940s through 1950s, and offered briefly in 1974 and 1975. You only need to wear the button, not the regular license.

To spur angler interest in the button, the PFBC is running an online poll to vote for their preferred color of the button. The color with the highest vote total will be selected for the 2014 season. The color of the button will change each year.
"We anticipate that this re-introduced product will be very popular with anglers and collectors, so we want their help with selecting the button color for 2014," PFBC executive director John Arway said.
The button will be the same size as in the past (1 3/4 -inch diameter) with a high quality pin backing and the angler customer identification number on the front.
Voting runs through Jan. 31, and ballots can be cast at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2014-PA-Fishing-License-Button.**********
post edited by 350Z&Steelheads - 2014/01/31 15:17:51

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/01 12:42:45 (permalink)
What happens if you already have your 2014 license, can you go back a get one to match the numbers on the paper license.
lost sage rod sectio
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/02 00:47:12 (permalink)
This is just some more of the Quakers trying to fix something that isn't broken. One of the wigs had to give there kid something to do to justify his or her state job.!!!!!!!!! Its just like mentored youth programs and don't get me wrong I'm all for kids but if you have to beg a kid to hunt or fish you are wasting your time and money.
bubbaman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 239
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/02 10:59:29 (permalink)
It seems to me a lot of guys have been asking to eliminate the wearing of the license,like so many other states, and the game commission has agreed to. anglers are not asking to create something else to wear in place of the license, especially with an extra fee. fish commission pay close attention here, THEY WANT TO ELIMINATE LICENSE ON THE OUT SIDE OF CLOTHING. wouldn't it  make more sense to work on younger generation recruitment, than worrying about collectors ? I know the pfbc says they need more money, heck in this economy we all need more money. you can have all the buttons , bells and whistles you want to sell but if you don't have anyone left down the road to buy them, what good does it do you ?
post edited by bubbaman - 2014/02/03 08:30:20
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2124
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/02 11:11:14 (permalink)
well said Bubba ^^^^^

BH
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/03 11:41:33 (permalink)
+1

Typical PFBC logic...

We need to get kids interested in fishing...let's charge them.

Anglers don't want to have to wear their license...let's give them something else to wear.

No...let's sell them something else to wear!

By the way: iirc if you are found fishing without a license, you have x-number of days to provide proof that you are, in fact, a licensed fisherman.  By that rationale, you could just keep it in your wallet and produce it when asked...well within your grace period.  Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/03 12:25:32 (permalink)
Cold
+1

Typical PFBC logic...

We need to get kids interested in fishing...let's charge them.

Anglers don't want to have to wear their license...let's give them something else to wear.

No...let's sell them something else to wear!

By the way: iirc if you are found fishing without a license, you have x-number of days to provide proof that you are, in fact, a licensed fisherman.  By that rationale, you could just keep it in your wallet and produce it when asked...well within your grace period.  Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

Cold,
I think you missed the part where the PFBC will get extra federal funding by "proving" they have so many licensed fisherman to the feds.  Right now, all the youths don't get counted in those figures.  It is also voluntary so no big deal.  If the return is really $5 for every extra license they can prove, it is worth it for them to try and get volunteers.  But, since the fed. funds are probably split based on percentages, it will be only a matter of time before other states do the same and we get back to where we started.  

I do agree, just do away with the display of licenses and don't waste the effort with the buttons.  Time to get with the 21st century.  They should have an app that you can pull up your license bar code on your smart phone if you choose to not even have a paper license in your wallet.  
Cold
Pro Angler
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/03 13:44:47 (permalink)
E&G, 

I think you missed the part where, for the first time, they're charging children a fee, optional or not, to go fishing.  How long before they justify it by saying the commission is missing out on too much funding, so a $1 per child fee is mandatory...sure $1 isn't going to break anyone's bank, but when the family is deciding what to do on a sunny May weekend, the kids being unlicensed will be a significant deterrent in favor of some other activity that's free for them.

If they want to "prove" this to get the funding, figure out a way to do it without passing along costs, or grubbing money.  Charging people to do something is not the way to get them interested and active.

I don't care if the Fed paid them $20,000 a head, don't charge kids.
Big Steve
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 144
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/03 14:43:02 (permalink)
Cold

They can call it in now as well.  If you produce a drivers licence they call what I assume is the PFBC and confirm whether or not you are licensed.  I've had this happen three times in the last two years.  The entire affair lasts less than 5 mins.  

I am fairly sure you can still go the other route you described as well, ... given x amount of days to produce a license.
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/03 15:10:30 (permalink)
Yep, two springs ago I was trout fishing with my light vest on when a PFBC officer checked my fishing license.  I realized that I had left it on my wadding jacket, which I use up in Erie, and didn't have it on me.  In about 3 minutes he verified through my drivers license that I was legal and left me go on my way, with just a friendly reminder to remember my license next time.

I now switch between several different vests and wading jackets depending on the weather and outdoor temps, so I just keep the thing in my wallet and I know I'm guaranteed to have it on me now and not loose it or forget it.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/03 18:23:56 (permalink)
Cold
E&G, 

I think you missed the part where, for the first time, they're charging children a fee, optional or not, to go fishing.  How long before they justify it by saying the commission is missing out on too much funding, so a $1 per child fee is mandatory...sure $1 isn't going to break anyone's bank, but when the family is deciding what to do on a sunny May weekend, the kids being unlicensed will be a significant deterrent in favor of some other activity that's free for them.

If they want to "prove" this to get the funding, figure out a way to do it without passing along costs, or grubbing money.  Charging people to do something is not the way to get them interested and active.

I don't care if the Fed paid them $20,000 a head, don't charge kids.

Probably end up throwin Tax Rocks at local fishermen...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Big Steve
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 144
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/03 18:54:30 (permalink)

A buddy sent me this a few weeks ago.  Not exactly tax rocks, but taxed rocks for throwing. 
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/03 20:59:47 (permalink)
That's unfair... Taxing the Tax Rocks....Stinkin Obama.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/03 21:24:01 (permalink)
Just to clarify the $1.00 voluntary youth license...

It will cost more than that  MIS-LEADING one dollar statement...

The voluntary youth license will be available beginning Feb. 1 from all licensing agents and online through the PFBC’s Outdoor Shop. With a $1 agent fee and a $0.70 transaction fee, the total cost to purchase the license will be $2.70.

Volunteer to pay $2.70 per child that enjoys fishing, when you get to do it for FREE !!

REALLY....REALLY....REALLY ???????
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2014/02/03 21:26:58
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/03 21:28:37 (permalink)
As for the button....   you will have to order them on-line.. not from an agent... the numbers on the button will be the same as your C.I.D. number now....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2014/02/03 21:30:59

Attached Image(s)

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/03 21:58:27 (permalink)
While we're looking at new PFBC ideas how's this one ??

Also today, Commissioners voted to seek public comment on a staff proposal to remove the option seniors 65 and older currently have to purchase a lifetime trout/salmon permit in conjunction with the purchase of a $50 senior resident lifetime fishing license. 

Under the proposal, seniors who want to fish for trout would have to purchase a permit each year, beginning Jan. 1, 2015. Seniors who purchase a lifetime trout/salmon permit in conjunction with a lifetime license before that date would be grandfathered.  

“About 70 percent of seniors purchase a trout/salmon permit, which mirrors the rate for other anglers,” said Arway. “The Commission’s trout program accounts for 36 percent of the Fish Fund annual expenditures, and the cost of trout production continues to rise. We simply can no longer afford to allow anglers to fish for trout without paying for the annual permit

Cold
Pro Angler
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/04 00:06:56 (permalink)
Dr. Trout
While we're looking at new PFBC ideas how's this one ??

Also today, Commissioners voted to seek public comment on a staff proposal to remove the option seniors 65 and older currently have to purchase a lifetime trout/salmon permit in conjunction with the purchase of a $50 senior resident lifetime fishing license. 

Under the proposal, seniors who want to fish for trout would have to purchase a permit each year, beginning Jan. 1, 2015. Seniors who purchase a lifetime trout/salmon permit in conjunction with a lifetime license before that date would be grandfathered.  

“About 70 percent of seniors purchase a trout/salmon permit, which mirrors the rate for other anglers,” said Arway. “The Commission’s trout program accounts for 36 percent of the Fish Fund annual expenditures, and the cost of trout production continues to rise. We simply can no longer afford to allow anglers to fish for trout without paying for the annual permit

Hell, yinz greyskulls can't hardly remember to stop peeing before you zip up your flies, how're you supposed to remember to buy a trout stamp every year?!
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/04 08:09:41 (permalink)
Comes with the lifetime license.
Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/04 10:38:26 (permalink)
The button or the peeing
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/04 11:47:20 (permalink)
The revenue will go to larger trout being stocked. The limits will suffer,dropped to 2 fish daily,but they will be all over 10.5 inches and fat and mushy. I can't wait for trout season,I've been eating big crappies and big gills since ice has been here I'm just getting tired of those mild tasting white fleshed fish. HaHa.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/04 13:24:01 (permalink)
Big Steve

A buddy sent me this a few weeks ago.  Not exactly tax rocks, but taxed rocks for throwing. 

Thanks!  My new computer background...

Cold, as long as it's voluntary and it never becomes mandatory, I don't see how anyone would have a problem with it.  Now, if it becomes mandatory, I am right there with you in opposition to it. Kids should never have to pay to fish in PA's public waterways.  

Hopefully any extra monies gained do go towards "tax rocks" or habitat improvements, launch improvements and increased angler access and NOT to those stinkin', slimy, mangy invasive trout that get stocked by the bazillions!  
Cold
Pro Angler
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/04 14:32:27 (permalink)
Hopefully any extra monies gained do go towards "tax rocks" or habitat improvements, launch improvements and increased angler access and NOT to those stinkin', slimy, mangy invasive trout that get stocked by the bazillions!  

Maybe it'll go to increasing LEO patrols to cite people who verbally harass other people's children.
Fish5000
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 694
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/04 20:17:06 (permalink)
The only thing I like about the new buttons is the potential benefit to collectors [something else to collect]. I'm opposed to the new charges for many of the same reasons already posted, so to save time I won't reiterate. Always great to hear from Bings again!
Trout About
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1048
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/04 21:42:18 (permalink)
I couldn't tell you the last time I displayed my fishing license.  I have a half dozen stowed in various locations (home, truck, camp, tackle bag, boat) and always have one within a few steps of me on the boat.
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/04 23:47:06 (permalink)
Trout About
I couldn't tell you the last time I displayed my fishing license.  I have a half dozen stowed in various locations (home, truck, camp, tackle bag, boat) and always have one within a few steps of me on the boat.

Same here... I see no sense (other than if someone likes collecting buttons) in paying extra for something you still have to display. 
lost sage rod sectio
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/05 00:36:32 (permalink)
Oh being the fact you brought up Trout, the only reason the fish commission still stocks trout is they haven't found a way to hit them with a car. But when they do Trout fishing will go the way of Deer hunting the insurance companies will put a stop to all trout fishing or slow it down  by doing away with all fishing laws and limits.This whole idea is just smoke and mirrors They are just trying to fix something that isn't broke!!!!!!!
Cold
Pro Angler
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/05 08:30:49 (permalink)
lost sage rod sectio
Oh being the fact you brought up Trout, the only reason the fish commission still stocks trout is they haven't found a way to hit them with a car. But when they do Trout fishing will go the way of Deer hunting the insurance companies will put a stop to all trout fishing or slow it down  by doing away with all fishing laws and limits.This whole idea is just smoke and mirrors They are just trying to fix something that isn't broke!!!!!!!

Fish5000
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 694
Re: New $5 fishing license button 2014/02/05 21:36:16 (permalink)
I've been attempting to decide if the female's expressions are a commentary on Lost Sage's post or perhaps there is another intended meaning, but either way, I like them as she's funny! Nice one Cold!
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to: