Helpful Replylove it

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ChromeBandit412
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 137
  • Reward points: 0
Re: love it 2013/10/23 14:02:02 (permalink)
Thanks for the encouraging post ninja. This site can be such a drag sometimes. We gotta keep it interesting. That was by far my best day ever. Some of the old timers I was standing next to landed over 20 fish that day.. HelI I'm satisfied with catching a fish or two but landing 7 and getting my buddy his first steel ever over. Priceless. I still got a lot to learn, but timing and adapting to conditions I'm starting to get better with. Haven't been skunked the last few trips atleast
NAsteelheader
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: love it 2013/10/23 14:10:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby genieman77 2013/10/23 16:04:25
YES. I am one of those guys that made regular trips with no other info except to call a local bait shop. Those were the good ole days. When the internet started to take off and these report pages were formed is when it started getting easier. However, I am not a easier kind of guy!! There are those who like to go fishing. And those who wait for others to go fishing so that they can go catching. Myself, I am a fisherman. Not a catcherman. I am allways willing to go early and/or in all condition just to see what happens. I do get irritated by my so called friends that wont go until I have been up several times to tell them where to go.(It is October. There are fish in the streams. Put gas in the car and go find them as I do!!!!!)

It's your fish story,so tell it any way you want!!!
350Z&Steelheads
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: love it 2013/10/23 15:14:45 (permalink)
Internet or no internet I go up weather reports are good or bad.  The only thing that stops a trip is extreme blowouts or snow so bad that it's dangerous to travel (my trip is 5 hours one way).  Catch or not I fish!  And/or drink a couple with good friends at camp.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

wayneo73
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: love it 2013/10/23 15:14:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fishingood 2013/10/23 17:04:59
i think you guys complaining about the "noobs" asking for info when you had to "learn it the hard way" are missing the point.  i'll bet alot of you guys who learned about steelhead the hard way use a snow blower or a riding mower, or a microwave.  point being, you use modern technology to make your life easier in other aspects, why not fishing?  i'm not against making a trip in less than ideal conditions and getting skunked.  i hope to learn from it and apply that knowledge next time.  what i'd rather not run into is making a trip only to learn when i got there that i should have "saved it" for when the conditions were better than impossible.

personally i can only justify 1-2 trips a year.  time spent away from the family, gas $, time off of work, hall pass from the wife, etc are all things that limit the # of times i can come up a year.  i'm sure alot of guys fall into a similar category.  i get it that "worth it" is going to mean something different to everyone based on their own circumstances and everyone has their own reason why they don't want to "waste" a trip.  if i go to the local stream for smallies, stockies, or whatever and i get skunked then no big deal.  it was still worth it to me just to get out doing something i like.  i can always go back and try again tomorrow or next week or whatever.  but what's wrong with wanting to maximize a trip you can only make once or twice a year/season?  i can't speak for everyone but when i get on the site, i'm not looking for secret spots/lures/techniques etc.  i just want to know if the rain the last x number of days will make conditions unfishable, or if the 20 mph winds coming from x direction are going to be too much to shore fish the mouths.  what i'm not looking for is or [link=mailto:smart@ss]smart@ss[/link] remarks or misleading info.

now i've read the questions by new posters that turn around and doubt or refute the legit answers they get.  i'm sure that's frustrating to those who are willing to share info and causes some of the snide answers that one has to sift through to make an educated decision.  my advice to noobs in that situation is to be careful how you word your question, be clear what info you're looking for, make it clear what "worth it" means to you, limit specifics to pm's and for heavens sake be gracious to those who offer you legit advice.  if possible offer up some info in return about areas you're familiar with to those you ask advice from.

if you can fish every day, great for you.  if you can afford to make the x hour trip weekly considering time and gas , more power to you.  if you know everything there is to know about fishing and learned it all on your own without ever getting a pointer from a soul, then wow... it must be nice being you.

now i've gotten great responses to questions i've had and i've learned alot by reading through some of the threads on this forum.  for example, i recently read a post that broke down the CF/S mark to watch for on the walnut gauge.  it wasn't definitive but it looks like a good rule of thumb.  if accurate, that's a huge piece of advice that doesn't give any big secrets away and allows someone to make an informed decision on making a trip.  do i wish i didn't have to sift through the BS to get some legit info, yes... but i think overall there's more good than bad on here.

sorry for the rant.  the soapbox is all yours boys.
gymi03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 336
Re: love it 2013/10/23 15:36:04 (permalink)
there are Steel EVERYWHERE now....SPOT BURN!!!!!!! 
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: love it 2013/10/23 15:38:36 (permalink)
Yep, it's sad that in a fishing site dedicated to Erie tributaries some people think you shouldn't even be able to talk about what water flow levels are blown out and call it spoon feeding.  Maybe their just grumpy because they spent wasted trips and money in the past only to find out that the creeks were like raging chocolate milk with big logs floating down them.  When I first started fishing Erie this site helped me to at least never waste a day trip on totally blown out conditions, I'm thankful for that and would hope that others can at least get the same thing out of it if nothing else.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: love it 2013/10/23 15:51:05 (permalink)
Wow, reading comprehension is at a near record low on here today. 

There is not one post in this thread that said we shouldn't help new guys out with information on current conditions, techniques, reading gauges, etc. 

Keep laughin' it up as we lose more and more public access. 

I freakin' give. 
wayneo73
Novice Angler
Re: love it 2013/10/23 15:57:09 (permalink)
rsquared, i think you have this thread confused with the tubes thread.  if i'm wrong about that, my apologies.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: love it 2013/10/23 16:19:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby genieman77 2013/10/25 07:42:51
wayneo73
rsquared, i think you have this thread confused with the tubes thread.  if i'm wrong about that, my apologies.

Nope, I'm quite sure of what I'm reading. 

Page 1 - Genie, wcw, 5MPete, fishing guy and me: reports are good, even a little bragging now and then.  Just use some discretion and consider the consequences that internet reports have on specifically mentioned spots.

Followed by some discussion about how reports are helpful to those coming from long distances, but that part of the fun of the game is learning how to fish in different conditions with different techniques.

Page 2 - A couple complaints about guys in this thread complaining about helping new guys out, when nobody did. 

Hence, my frustration with the lack of reading comprehension in this thread. 

The reference to losing access is really at the heart of genie's post and the posts of others in this thread urging caution in how other anglers report successful days on the stream. 

Early in the thread, Pete referenced a small stream that I've fished on with him a handful of times.  This stream runs ENTIRELY through private property and access there is fragile.  There was a report on the Reports Page late last week or over the weekend that specifically mentioned this stream and the next day he counted 14 vehicles there.  Fortunately, the Administrators removed this report the next day.  At the peak of the run, the public access to this privately owned stream can comfortably handle about 10-12 fishermen max in spots where steelhead actually hold, and about 6 of them will be in really good spots.  There are ongoing issues with a landowner on the stream regarding littering and trespassing.  It can be lost in a heart beat.

The issue with those of us who are urging caution and discretion in posting reports isn't because we want all the fish to ourselves or don't want to help somebody out.  I know for certain that genie and Pete, among many others on this board, helped me tremendously through reports, discussion, PM and even in person when I happened to run into them on the tribs.  It's because access throughout the whole fishery is a very important matter right now, and a matter in which fishermen are losing ground. 

And that's why I said, "Keep laughing it up"
post edited by rsquared - 2013/10/23 16:26:31
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
Re: love it 2013/10/23 16:26:43 (permalink)
Rsquared; 
rsquared
Wow, reading comprehension is at a near record low on here today. 

There is not one post in this thread that said we shouldn't help new guys out with information on current conditions, techniques, reading gauges, etc. 

Keep laughin' it up as we lose more and more public access. 

I freakin' give.

If you were replying to my last post.  I was actually referencing the "Rain Rain Rain" thread, where I posted a comment telling people that as a general rule of thumb 100cfs and rising on the walnut gauge is blown out and 100cfs and dropping should make for some good water somewhere, with a pic of the water gauge.  I made the post because someone on the fishing reports page said they drove far to Erie on Sunday for nothing when the gauge was at 1,000cfs and wasted a trip. 

The next reply was from KJH posting a pic of a baby being spoon feed.  So just saying it's a sad thing that some people here, not all, think we shouldn't even be able to talk about something relevant like the water flow gauges on a site like this.
post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2013/10/23 16:29:44
wayneo73
Novice Angler
Re: love it 2013/10/23 16:48:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2013/10/25 13:32:56
rsquared
wayneo73

Nope, I'm quite sure of what I'm reading. 

Page 1 - Genie, wcw, 5MPete, fishing guy and me: reports are good, even a little bragging now and then.  Just use some discretion and consider the consequences that internet reports have on specifically mentioned spots.

Followed by some discussion about how reports are helpful to those coming from long distances, but that part of the fun of the game is learning how to fish in different conditions with different techniques.

Page 2 - A couple complaints about guys in this thread complaining about helping new guys out, when nobody did. 

Hence, my frustration with the lack of reading comprehension in this thread. 

The reference to losing access is really at the heart of genie's post and the posts of others in this thread urging caution in how other anglers report successful days on the stream. 

Early in the thread, Pete referenced a small stream that I've fished on with him a handful of times.  This stream runs ENTIRELY through private property and access there is fragile.  There was a report on the Reports Page late last week or over the weekend that specifically mentioned this stream and the next day he counted 14 vehicles there.  Fortunately, the Administrators removed this report the next day.  At the peak of the run, the public access to this privately owned stream can comfortably handle about 10-12 fishermen max in spots where steelhead actually hold, and about 6 of them will be in really good spots.  There are ongoing issues with a landowner on the stream regarding littering and trespassing.  It can be lost in a heart beat.

The issue with those of us who are urging caution and discretion in posting reports isn't because we want all the fish to ourselves or don't want to help somebody out.  I know for certain that genie and Pete, among many others on this board, helped me tremendously through reports, discussion, PM and even in person when I happened to run into them on the tribs.  It's because access throughout the whole fishery is a very important matter right now, and a matter in which fishermen are losing ground. 

And that's why I said, "Keep laughing it up"

gotcha.  we're referencing different parts of the thread then.  there are a few responses in this thread that got away from the original point and started referencing giving info.

i agree with the advice given to the original poster and i believe he humbly accepted it as well. 
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
Re: love it 2013/10/23 16:58:11 (permalink)
wayneo73
gotcha.  we're referencing different parts of the thread then.  there are a few responses in this thread that got away from the original point and started referencing giving info.

i agree with the advice given to the original poster and i believe he humbly accepted it as well.

+1

Didn't mean to get off topic or hijack this thread by bringing other ones into it, just naturally progressed that way.
cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
Re: love it 2013/10/23 17:44:54 (permalink)
How many here remember the Erie Downriggers Fishing Hotline?

Meatball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
Re: love it 2013/10/24 20:35:50 (permalink)
ChromeBandit412
Sorry if I burned ur spot guys but truth is there were already a ton of guys fishing that spot so its not like it was some kind of secret. The way people were hauling stringers full of fish out I dont doubt it will be fished out in a few days. You and I both know a spot might be gold one day and then beat the next. And once it is beat theres always another creek to go to. I bet 20 mile fished real nice today. So I will be mindful to not burn spots from now on but yea I like to brag and I like to inspire people to get out there. I wish more people posted reports when fishing is good. Seeing how Im an out of towner I rely on those reports to get a feeling for whats goin on out there. U wanna give me advice ok whats up? I do wish I was there tomorrow to see if the hoards do in fact show up but unfortunately I have to work.

nice report chrome many read it including those that rip you. Pack em in only those in the know will catch em anyway. you guys that are happy being surrounded while enjoying the outdoors are a different breed anyway. Ive posted many river reports in my local area and I haven't been overrun. Ive been overrun on the Niagara River many times after mine and others posts of the great fishing and found myself on the water giving bait samples and tactical info when those that read the reports thought catching was easy. I thought this sport was supposed to be fun for everyone not just the "pros". Sharing is paramount to the sport and a mans inherent ability to brag about his accomplishments makes internet fishing sites important in this day and age of information and declining fishing license sales. Don't be greedy.
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
Re: love it 2013/10/24 21:27:08 (permalink)
Reference to the reference to the reference. You guys lost me at " steelhead "

BH
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
Re: love it 2013/10/25 13:35:09 (permalink)
Meatball
ChromeBandit412
Sorry if I burned ur spot guys but truth is there were already a ton of guys fishing that spot so its not like it was some kind of secret. The way people were hauling stringers full of fish out I dont doubt it will be fished out in a few days. You and I both know a spot might be gold one day and then beat the next. And once it is beat theres always another creek to go to. I bet 20 mile fished real nice today. So I will be mindful to not burn spots from now on but yea I like to brag and I like to inspire people to get out there. I wish more people posted reports when fishing is good. Seeing how Im an out of towner I rely on those reports to get a feeling for whats goin on out there. U wanna give me advice ok whats up? I do wish I was there tomorrow to see if the hoards do in fact show up but unfortunately I have to work.

nice report chrome many read it including those that rip you. Pack em in only those in the know will catch em anyway. you guys that are happy being surrounded while enjoying the outdoors are a different breed anyway. Ive posted many river reports in my local area and I haven't been overrun. Ive been overrun on the Niagara River many times after mine and others posts of the great fishing and found myself on the water giving bait samples and tactical info when those that read the reports thought catching was easy. I thought this sport was supposed to be fun for everyone not just the "pros". Sharing is paramount to the sport and a mans inherent ability to brag about his accomplishments makes internet fishing sites important in this day and age of information and declining fishing license sales. Don't be greedy.

Wow. I guess some folks just don't get it.  
NAsteelheader
Novice Angler
Re: love it 2013/10/25 15:59:25 (permalink)
I sure would like to know where I or anybody else on this thread said anything about not posting or helping others on this site. All that was mentioned is how we used to do it. 
 If you are confused. Please read again.

ChromeBandit412
Avid Angler
Re: love it 2013/10/25 16:27:20 (permalink)
Anyone have any fresh reports? fish? crowds?
NAsteelheader
Novice Angler
Re: love it 2013/10/25 17:41:57 (permalink)
Hey Chromebandit.
It nearly the end of October. Of course there is water,fish,and most of all. CROWDS

When you ask that question next time.  The amswers will be the same until at least Christmas. Then the crowds slow down because the babies will get their hands cold.
 People that know how to catch fish will. Others will not.

ChromeBandit412
Avid Angler
Re: love it 2013/10/25 17:58:39 (permalink)
yea kinda a stupid question. anyone got any reports on crowds at said mile creek?
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
Re: love it 2013/10/25 20:47:51 (permalink)
ChromeBandit412
Anyone have any fresh reports? fish? crowds?

16 mile by the faux falls looked like the stop sign hole, all the way to the lake.  Both sides. I wonder why.  Nobody catching.

Not many fish in 12 mile or 7 mile (like none). Much to my surprise, since the Times news report said all the east side creeks were full of an amazing number of fish.  I wonder where that news came from. 
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
Re: love it 2013/10/25 20:51:11 (permalink)
H3Fisher
Might make it up on Sunday, I'll post a report if so. Tomorrow will be ruff day with the winds gusting up to 34 miles per hour. Lake will be shot more than likely and you might end up with some frozen boogers lol.

But you never know, unless you give it a shot.

Wind down by the lake was rather nippy today. It turned the flow back upstream at 7 mile by the mouth. Wind from the north is a btch.
ChromeBandit412
Avid Angler
Re: love it 2013/10/25 21:35:44 (permalink)
thanks five mile pete i kinda figured
Meatball
Expert Angler
Re: love it 2013/10/26 22:45:01 (permalink)
topdog99
Meatball
ChromeBandit412

yu nVr fished the niagra duud
pics or didnt happin' ha ha

LozR

lol how ya been lmao

let em post and realize what happened....erie streams are...well, erie streams. glad I haven't fished em in years...you cant tell me there isn't more enjoyment fishing around nobody catching anything else but steelhead. Some of you guys take this steelhead thing way to far. Funny how many guys near erie jump on specific steelhead reports in a negative way..."it's hush hush"....what r u doin here then? How many guys have headed to spots posted only to find it overrun then post here that too many people let the cat out of the bag...common, ive done it, who hasn't...check reports to see whats goin on before heading out....you guys spend too much time fishing erie streams
Meatball
Expert Angler
Re: love it 2013/10/26 22:48:52 (permalink)
I forgot to say im glad al gore invented the internet lol
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: